Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I read a chapter of a manga a while back about this girl who sent a manuscript to a publisher. Pages later she tried to join a book club and the older kids told her to leave, they weren't interested in actually reading, just hanging out and smoking. She then threatened to gouge out on of the guys eyes with her pen.

Deciding the comic wasn't for me I stopped reading and forgot about it. Is this the same thing you all are talking about now? It got more violent than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The author girl has sworn vengeance against the Society for the Promotion of Japanese Literature and is killing its leaders one by one.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

The focus on violence is infused in the story, like it's a truly central part of the story which comes up time and again, it's perplexing.
Why this is, why she doesn't simply do martial arts and whatever is not explained, so the way it takes focus from literally everything else is very strange.
Explain how this gels with the mc being a one in a thousand years prodigy in literature?

She wants to impose her view of the world on things. In writing she has complete control over how she can depict the world and her work is great because of how convincing it is. In reality though she can't, but still tries to impose her views on those around her with stubborness or violence.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The author girl has sworn vengeance against the Society for the Promotion of Japanese Literature and is killing its leaders one by one.

Wait really?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

No.

That would make a fun premise though I couldn't see any publisher putting out a manga about that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Galvanik posted:

Deciding the comic wasn't for me I stopped reading and forgot about it. Is this the same thing you all are talking about now? It got more violent than that?
Yes. Not really.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so uh, exactly what happened in c48 of origin? i do not understand what was up with the girl at all.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That Hibiki manga is pretty good. I'd enjoy it enough as a normal story about a quirky girl who happens to be a genius author, but as an added bonus she also consistently and violently assaults people over minor slights and is a completely unrepentant rear end in a top hat.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

In the newest Dorohedoro Kaiman's smoke magic is revealed and it is better than I could possibly imagine.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

In the newest Dorohedoro Kaiman's smoke magic is revealed and it is better than I could possibly imagine.

Perfect.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad Dorogedoro got incredibly good again.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so uh, exactly what happened in c48 of origin? i do not understand what was up with the girl at all.

I think she's a human-like robot just like Origin, but she also contains a human brain. Most processes are controlled by the logical AI, but it's nudged in certain directions by the human AI, which can perceive the outside world through the robot's sensors, and has a degree of control over its actions.

It's a very Westworld-esque AI story, where the robots are otherwise completely rational and programmed, but given contradictory orders and forced to do extraordinary things in order to fulfil their goals.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Oh my god :allears:

Chapter here, since mangadex servers are having trouble: https://imgur.com/a/TBbLp

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Naosawa finished chapter 6 of Mujirushi and put it up but because of Mangadex's server issues, we've got it up on imgur for you for now

https://imgur.com/gallery/83JQg

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

I was smiling the whole drat chapter. Really makes the series. Read this spoiler before I read the chapter and I still didn't see it coming. :lol:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I was smiling the whole drat chapter. Really makes the series. Read this spoiler before I read the chapter and I still didn't see it coming. :lol:

I hate it that it's simultaneously surprising but also not at all surprising when you think about it, like of loving course

that's not really spoilery but I'm putting it there just in case I dunno

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction is finally back from hiatus! Chapter 49 is up on mangadex.

And wow what a chapter, what the hell was that? I love it when Asano has most of a chapter full of serious stuff and then busts out the absurd laughs at the end.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was buying myself a treat today and popped into Forbidden Planet. They didn't have Pluto Volume 1 or Monster Volume 1 but they'd a different Urasawa series called Master Keaton so I picked up the first volume as part of a three for two. Have people read it? Is it good? The description on the back reminded me of old timey pulp stuff or like Tintin.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Master Keaton is one of my favourites. It's a lot more episodic than Urasawa's other stuff - globetrotting and diverse in its stories. The anime is pretty solid as well.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I guess this fits in this thread the most: Chapter 10 of The Violence Action is up.

Kay almost makes a friend.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

Good storytelling by establishing the food magic's power a billion chapters ago while also making the reveal surprising.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Dead Dead Demons Dedededestruction.

I forget since it's been a long time since I read the rest of the series, but is Makoto actually trans, or just dresses up? I can't for the life of me remember if they had a conversation about which it was(I want to say Makoto wanted to be "true to themself" but I forget) but I feel like they did. Anyways, it's really kinda refreshing to see a mainstream manga series have a character like Makoto and not treat them like, well, an alien with three heads or something.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Schubalts posted:

I guess this fits in this thread the most: Chapter 10 of The Violence Action is up.

Kay almost makes a friend.

I just found this, It's pretty good.

Also, you guys can't fool me, I've already lost my place twice so I'm not reading Dorohedoro again till its finished. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
after nearly three years of no updates, Boys on the Run has started updating again. And it seems there's only five chapters left, I think, if the current volume they're working on is the last.

I feel like Hana's about to get raped or murdered based on the cliffhanger in the latest chapter with the old dude giving her a drink and her drinking the whole thing without hesitation, after the fakeout with the otaku. Something's got to happen to shake up the half dozen plot points still unresolved if it ends in 5 chapters, unless the series got canceled and that's why it ends this volume? But, like, I really don't know how it's going to wrap up satisfactorily with so many loose ends still. Guess we'll see shortly.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 28, 2018

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That manga is going to some dark places.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, which is why I'm thinking it's going to do something really loving drastic if it's ending in 5 chapters.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Boys on the Run was great. Chiharu is easily the best and most sympathetic character, but unfortunately the story shifts to Hana in the second half and that's where my interest in the manga ended.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chiharu? The first girl? She's sympathetic but she went a bit nuts and creepy.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

You can draw a line from the first chapter until her last appearance and know exactly why she became the way she did. All of the events surrounding Tanishi/Aoyama/Shiho/her career left a big impact, and so her becoming that way later on in the story makes sense and didn't just come out of left field. A lot of readers raged at her and made her out to be some kind of super villain even though she's more sympathetic than the actual MC lol. In fact the reason I even found out about that manga is because of some forums people raging about Chiharu, so I was a little surprised when I actually read the manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh no, the MC is bad too, but she's got problems

Hana seems to be the only person who doesn't have something really hosed up with their life beyond her hearing.

edit: another chapter just went up, and yuuuuuuuuup, rapemonster mcgee, also some columbine poo poo too welp

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 29, 2018

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

New mujirushi

https://mangadex.com/chapter/23435/1

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Interesting interview with a mangaka I've never heard of who was struggling working with the big publishers and only found some level of success by striking out on his own. The translator commentary at the end helps put it all into context, and there's a link to the guy's gag manga at the bottom.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Boys on the Run has concluded. Chapters 114-115 and 116 are now up

https://mangadex.com/manga/1954

Tanishi finally got laid. Almost got himself killed a couple of times over pussy, but he finally did it! oh but then he goes to prison for like 5 years the end

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Scent of Worf posted:

Boys on the Run has concluded. Chapters 114-115 and 116 are now up

https://mangadex.com/manga/1954

Tanishi finally got laid. Almost got himself killed a couple of times over pussy, but he finally did it! oh but then he goes to prison for like 5 years the end
I was about to link 115 and be like "what a nice ending, I guess". Then I reloaded and saw a new chapter, and then I saw the first page of chapter 116, and was like "yeah that looks like a Kengo Hanazawa ending al-loving-right", then I finished chapter 116 and thought "that was a bit short but surprisingly happy for a Kengo Hanazawa ending".

All in all, what a nice series. Pretty hosed up at times, but a good read. I think it's a tossup between Ressentiment and Boys on the Run for my favorite KH series, since I Am A Hero kinda went off the rails super loving hard and killed off the best character while spending way too much loving time focusing on the horribly lovely lisp guy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I kind of love the ending to Boys on the Run, even if it's the Kengo Hanazawa manga I'm least likely to ever read again. Like sure, I Am a Hero hosed up the landing, but it's still overall a better journey I think. I don't know because I haven't actually read Boys in the Run in full in the sense that I started it a billion years ago whenever they started scanning first and I never did a reread. So maybe it's a solid journey of repugnant lovely characters.
I digress because I was saying I really enjoyed the final fight. It's this one shithead loser against another shithead loser, but one of them can fight well, but he's already heavily injured, so the shithead loser MC uses the assistance of a child and another adult to finally beat him. It's just dirty and dumb and fitting for a manga mostly full of lovely people with minor minor victories.

I liked the 116th chapter, it's a funny little epilogue. would've been too schmaltzy for such a dirty sad pathetic manga if it had ended at 115. good fun.

also :lol:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Enjoyed the running joke about pseudo-phimosis, and also the payoff to that joke.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New Bungou Stray Dogs is out: https://imgur.com/a/u5gZa

Some clever tactics by both the Armed Detective Agency and the government forces there.

No idea who the person who came out of the missile is supposed to be. Another member of Decay of Angels/Rats in the House of the Dead, maybe?

Still surprised that Gogol died last chapter, given how reluctant the BSG manga usually is to kill anyone named after an author. (They made a point of not actually naming Ace after an author; I've seen it suggested that he was supposed to be Alan Bennett, but the reference was very oblique if so. Oda and Gide were from the LNs, not the manga.) I guess some of them (especially Dostoevsky) will have to die eventually to give the story closure. It's also possible Gogol will be resurrected by the Book, I guess, although as the Book obeys some sort of "karma" or narrative logic, there would have to be some sort of consequence for the Rats/Decay if that happened.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Dunno if people in this thread are already following this but new Kannou Sensei chapter up on Mangadex

Good and pretty funny romance story that's moving a bit slower than her other good sexy romance story Natsu no Zenjitsu did

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Hey buddy, Catbox.moe is coming up as a malware domain, just fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Huh. That's odd, maybe I'll just make a new imgur thing