Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

gender illusionist posted:

note to self: do not take missions to 36 Ophiuchi

Hairy warp-in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Tippis posted:

Hairy warp-in?

I am seeing something like Hutton Orbital but without two rare commodities.

E: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/387786-36-Ophiuchi

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

limaCAT posted:

I am reading something like Hutton Orbital but without two rare commodities.

Hmm…

Orbital
• Katzenstein Dock — L — 4,218,288 ls
• Lunan Holdings — M — 4,218,241 ls
• Weinbaum City — M — 4,218,186 ls

Probably, yes. :suicide:

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Tippis posted:

Hmm…

Orbital
• Katzenstein Dock — L — 4,218,288 ls
• Lunan Holdings — M — 4,218,241 ls
• Weinbaum City — M — 4,218,186 ls

Probably, yes. :suicide:

yuuuup

Still a day to go at max supercruise. gently caress this noise

Zuur
May 2, 2009
Once you break most of the way free from the sun gravity well, 4mil ls should only take about... an hour and a half. 2 hours at most. I think?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm trying out a Fer-De-Lance with all fixed plasma accelerators. Looks like I'll have to make them all efficient to prevent the ship blowing up with each trigger pull.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zuur posted:

Once you break most of the way free from the sun gravity well, 4mil ls should only take about... an hour and a half. 2 hours at most. I think?

Less that that. That's about .15 light years. Hutton is .22 and takes ~87 minutes

gender illusionist posted:

yuuuup

Still a day to go at max supercruise. gently caress this noise

The number there is how long it would take you to get there at your current speed. Once you get away from other massive objects, you can frameshift up to 2001c, aka 2001 times the speed of light. :roboluv:

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 17, 2018

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zuur posted:

Sounds about right — 1,000:ish c once your distance is in the six digits region should be the standard for most of that kind of trip.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Most of the significantly profitable passenger missions require a non-trivial (read 7 figure or more) supercruise cruise. Medb's Vela Dock is over 1.6Mls from the entrance. Hutton is the worst because it's presented in fraction of a lightyear, nothing else I've seen has gotten to that distance (~.21 ly, or over 6.7Mls).

For what it's worth,it takes 57 minutes, real time, to hit 2001c, or upper limit for supercruise speed. I did Hutton once, and I hit this speed.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

CornHolio posted:

Bought a type 7 last night, currently hauling slaves indentured servants around the empire and getting paid. 256T of them.

Dang, that's like 3,000-4,000 people per run...

...or 1 your mom

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

lemonadesweetheart posted:

It has pretty low jump range (20-30ish) but a bit faster in normal space. Cutter has two rank 8 internals which sets it apart from the other big ships but I think Anaconda is overall better unless you like trading.

i really like the cutter for its speed, with dd5 drives it boosts to like 430 - 450 even when it's packed to the gills with guns or cargo. it's irresponsibly fast for a ship that big

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Is there an achievement for hitting max supercruise or Hutton orbital? I also thought the frontier sent you a mug in the mail for the longest time but... wishful loving thinking there.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Hutton Truckers player group does the mugs (for the mug). You need to go above and beyond for the mugs (for the mug), like winning top 10 in a CG, but I have some stickers and patches and a coaster (for the mug)

There is a persistent drinking game anytime you say mug (for the mug) you need to take a sip of gin.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Dodged a bullet there.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Not even close!

For reals though if you want it ruined about what happens when you hit another ship in supercruise: You can't. It does nothing

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe you haven't tried hard enough.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Rynoto posted:

Not even close!

For reals though if you want it ruined about what happens when you hit another ship in supercruise: You can't. It does nothing

What about during interdiction?

Something happened to me yesterday, while chasing the exit vector, that I'd be unable to roll my ship. It was acting like I hit something and pushing back against the roll.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of interdictions, is there a reason people suggest to just submit? I have always just evaded them.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Enos Cabell posted:

Speaking of interdictions, is there a reason people suggest to just submit? I have always just evaded them.

It used to be much much harder to evade, and it's impossible to evade a skilled player (or a cheating player). If you fail to evade, your FSD has to cooldown for MUCH longer before you can use it than if you had just submitted. The aggressor has to wait the same amount of time either way, which is longer than if you had submitted.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Enos Cabell posted:

There used to be a bug where you'd just randomly lose the interdiction minigame, no matter how good you'd been doing. Lots of people probably still have virtual space-PTSD from the bad old days.

Other reasons include:

- Some sluggish ships have a harder time evading.

- Evading skilled CMDRs can be way way waaay harder than NPCs

- For some it's just managed risk. If you submit, you be able to (immediately) high wake away almost every time. Whereas, if you fail an interdiction and get forcefully yanked from supercruise, there's a good chance you'll get popped before your busted FSD comes back online.

But if you're having success evading, you should probably just keep doing that. It's what I do in most of my ships that aren't lumbering behemoths.

ef;b

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ahhh, gotcha that makes sense. I hardly ever play in open, so haven't had any players try to interdict me yet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I used to just submit and warp away all the time. Then I submitted to what must have been some kind of elite railgun sniper and got vapourised in about five seconds flat. Now I evade every time. I never play in the open 'cause whenever I do I get denied docking permission.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there some limit on how late you can submit? Couldn't you try to evade for a while and duck the penalty if it's not going well?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

haveblue posted:

Is there some limit on how late you can submit? Couldn't you try to evade for a while and duck the penalty if it's not going well?
It takes a couple of seconds to submit, so if you zero your throttle when the bar is nearly full you will not have the time to avoid the FSD penalty (and general damage to your ship).

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
BTW, even if you submit, you want to continue playing the interdiction game with your ship pointed as close to the target as possible until the end. If you submit and you are sideways you have a good chance of taking damage and spinning out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It always struck me as bullshit that successfully interdicting someone damages your ship. The winner of the interdiction game should never take any damage from it.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
Is it possible to use interdiction to steer someone into a star or a planet?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Gort posted:

It always struck me as bullshit that successfully interdicting someone damages your ship. The winner of the interdiction game should never take any damage from it.

It's because you are dropping too quickly from supercruise- the same thing happens if you do an emergency drop. But you can just think of it as a penalty for doing an illegal act, and a reason to have to go back to a station every once in a while. It's one of those things that actually makes sense for in-game and gameplay reasons.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 18, 2018

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Also, this is a super edge case (space is empty as hell) but if the dictor or target gets yanked out of cruise by a stellar object the tether breaks. Chances to use this are rare, but it's saved me once or twice.

This works for rings, by the way - if you're afraid of interdiction near rez sights, cruise right along the ring so you're almost skimming it. If someone tries to pull you out you can just dip into the ring.

No idea if that leaves a low wake or not. I've never been followed when I did this but my sample size is kinda low.

E: just saw 48 Hour Boner's post. This is basically what would happen ifyou did that, so Don't I guess.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just submit now so I can see what poor npc is attacking me, launch my fighter, and open up with all beams on my anaconda. Teach them right.

I seem to recall that many many patches ago you could hang out in supercruise really close to a sun and npcs would just continuously crash into its gravity well trying to interdict you.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

48 Hour Boner posted:

Is it possible to use interdiction to steer someone into a star or a planet?

It works with NPCs, no idea about players

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

You can also get interdicted into a planet, get waked down under the ground of the planet, violently and glitchily pop out on the surface at 1% hull, and then have to make the most dainty landing ever.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

It's because you are dropping too quickly from supercruise- the same thing happens if you do an emergency drop. But you can just think of it as a penalty for doing an illegal act, and a reason to have to go back to a station every once in a while. It's one of those things that actually makes sense for in-game and gameplay reasons.

I don't agree that there should necessarily be extra penalties for doing something illegal. You already have to deal with law enforcement. And it's not exactly an emergency drop from supercruise - the ship has about twenty seconds to prepare for it.

Anyway, interdicting a criminal isn't illegal, and you'll want to go back to base to sell your ill-gotten gains if you're a pirate anyway.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Gort posted:

I don't agree that there should necessarily be extra penalties for doing something illegal. You already have to deal with law enforcement. And it's not exactly an emergency drop from supercruise - the ship has about twenty seconds to prepare for it.

Anyway, interdicting a criminal isn't illegal, and you'll want to go back to base to sell your ill-gotten gains if you're a pirate anyway.

I think it's more a question of realism (the good kind when you have to planning for your hunt) than balance or a penalty.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
What's the best of the large ships (cutter / anaconda / corvette) right now for multicrew if I literally don't care about cost?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

limaCAT posted:

I think it's more a question of realism (the good kind when you have to planning for your hunt) than balance or a penalty.

You could make the "realism" argument vanish if you wanted to. "Oh, the interdictor module has tech that compensates for that" is pretty easy to come up with.

It just seems weird to be punished for perfect play in this one situation only. Like, we don't have mining lasers that get damaged whenever you shoot a rock. Your shield generator doesn't degrade when the shield blocks a shot. Your scanner doesn't fall apart when you scan a star.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

Like, we don't have mining lasers that get damaged whenever you shoot a rock. Your shield generator doesn't degrade when the shield blocks a shot. Your scanner doesn't fall apart when you scan a star.

Shhhhhhh or :frontear: might hear you and add this type of degradation mechanic to the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Giovanni0109 posted:

Shhhhhhh or :frontear: might hear you and add this type of degradation mechanic to the game.

Frontier can't add a frog to my ship in a timely manner

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

TwoDice posted:

What's the best of the large ships (cutter / anaconda / corvette) right now for multicrew if I literally don't care about cost?
Probably Anaconda, because Cutter and Corvette are gated behind the ranks grind. Unless you also included time sink cost. And because Cutter is better for trading and Corvette has shite jump range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

Probably Anaconda, because Cutter and Corvette are gated behind the ranks grind. Unless you also included time sink cost. And because Cutter is better for trading and Corvette has shite jump range.

I've already got the ranks (just haven't done the rank up missions) for both factions.

• Locked thread