Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
i'm in need for about 7 or so alien/mutant/weird camels or similar rideable desert animal. i've got some of the good old Tallarn Rough riders that i feel aren't justified riding on regular boring horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Phi230 posted:

How do I paint stubble on faces, and also how to eyes, like the picture below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7GuGbc0K7o

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Phi230 posted:

How do I paint stubble on faces, and also how to eyes, like the picture below?

Eyes are just black with a white dot in each corner.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
From my facebook feed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvTm_BhZdOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN8e9b2ON8s

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
That's a lot of effort to make them look like creepy dolls.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That's a special kind of insanity.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, that's a good summary of why I'm not magnetizing my KDM stuff. Just looks too weird in the end. But for the people who really want WYSIWYG, that's pretty drat nice.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
gently caress me that's amazing, creepy lookin but amazing

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

That's quite the small fortune in magnets

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, that's a good summary of why I'm not magnetizing my KDM stuff. Just looks too weird in the end. But for the people who really want WYSIWYG, that's pretty drat nice.

Also, I personally think it would be a bummer to have that many fleshy dudes and paint them all the same skintone. Kind of have to if you're magnetizing like that, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Moon Monster posted:

Kind of have to if you're magnetizing like that, though.

Not if they're up to their elbows in blood. :black101:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

The models aside, this is really outstanding effort and very inspirational

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Frobbe posted:

i'm in need for about 7 or so alien/mutant/weird camels or similar rideable desert animal. i've got some of the good old Tallarn Rough riders that i feel aren't justified riding on regular boring horses.
poo poo. I just sold off mine. I had 10 of the mounts for the old GorkaMorka "Mutie Raiders":

You can still get them on eBay, but they're pricey. If you want, I can contact the guy I sold mine to and see if he's willing to part with them.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BULBASAUR posted:

The models aside, this is really outstanding effort and very inspirational

LA Style has always had that effect on people.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Do Reaper Bones minis really not need to be primed, or is that just bullshit?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This is the dumbest thing I've ever painted, and that's saying something.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 18, 2018

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
That is absolutely incredible, where is it from

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

Fyrbrand posted:

This is the dumbest coolest thing I've ever painted, and that's saying something.

FTFY

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Texmo posted:

That is absolutely incredible, where is it from

My wife found it on this guy's Etsy shop. What with her being amazing and all, she immediately purchased it for me.

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

The original Dunning-Kruger test subject.

There is a fine line between genius and insanity, this guy appears to play hopscotch over it. Amazing effort but drat.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Do Reaper Bones minis really not need to be primed, or is that just bullshit?

They play well with Reaper paints, but if you have a mix I'd recommend cleaning and priming, or putting down Reaper base coats first.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Depending on the paint they can be rather water repellent and just make it bead up so getting a solid base coat down (be it with a primer or some other paint) goes a long way.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand posted:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever painted, and that's saying something.

This rules a whole lot. Shine on, you crazy painter

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I use ‘classico’ oil paints. Don’t overspend on these and anything in the $5-$10 should do the trick. For gloss varnish you wanna use pledge or any other acrylic gloss varnish. The acrylic part is important because you don’t want your oil washes to eat through your varnish. Fun fact- you can simulate the behavior of oil paints over a gloss varnish with acrylic washes by using a gloss gel (if you make your own washes). If you want a GW style wash, and less of a pin wash/filter, then you should consider an alkyd medium such as grumbacher.

I wrote a guide about it in the painting thread. You should take all your technical questions over to there:

In terms of colors you absolutely want burnt umber (delvin mud = burnt umber), a dark brown or grey to act as your black (castle earth or van dyke brown) and if you want rust colors burnt sienna, flame red, and maybe indian yellow). Have fun and wear a respirator.

So if I'm looking to use oil washes primarily as a pin wash / for rust effects, should I be using the alkyd medium? That part was a little unclear. I don't feel the need to use oil paints to replicate my existing GW washes, I'm generally happy with them.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Booley posted:

So if I'm looking to use oil washes primarily as a pin wash / for rust effects, should I be using the alkyd medium? That part was a little unclear. I don't feel the need to use oil paints to replicate my existing GW washes, I'm generally happy with them.

Nah, you probably won't need the alkyd medium.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Ok, someone tell me if this is the right stuff.

http://prntscr.com/i20an4

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
its been quite a while since i've painted regularly, but now that i'm back on the wagon i'm working on some Dryads:

After putting together one entirely to mess around with and painting around all the branches is kind of miserable, I've been working on more but without their back kibble, arms, or the underbrush on the head.

At this point though i'm wondering for you guys who paint in stages, at what point do you assemble? Do you wait until you've painted everything separately then put it together? or at some point during the painting process?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Personally, I paint them separately so that it's easier to reach all the details, then do a second passover after gluing everything together to check for mismatched shading/inconsistencies.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Booley posted:

Ok, someone tell me if this is the right stuff.

http://prntscr.com/i20an4

That looks good. That grey might not be dark enough for pin washing, but otherwise you're all set brochacho. Welcome to the wonderful world of oils!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

That looks good. That grey might not be dark enough for pin washing, but otherwise you're all set brochacho. Welcome to the wonderful world of oils!

Ok, I threw in some lamp black if the grey doesn't end up dark enough. 2017 was my year to get the basics down again for painting, 2018 I want to try to get closer to what you / ijyt / the loving 30k thread can do.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
So, going to follow Saint Duncan's guide to painting Poxwalkers. Going to use a cheaper spray, something like Krylon, for the white undercoat. Duplicolor is too thin, I need something with more coverage. Which exact cheap white primer would be recommended in a case like this? All that will be going over primer on the skin will be washes and a small highlight, no base coats or layers.

Or would it be best to just do 4-5 layers of white duplicolor?

Fake James fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 18, 2018

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

The Moon Monster posted:

Also, I personally think it would be a bummer to have that many fleshy dudes and paint them all the same skintone. Kind of have to if you're magnetizing like that, though.

True, and you can’t do any fun OSL either.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Booley posted:

Ok, I threw in some lamp black if the grey doesn't end up dark enough. 2017 was my year to get the basics down again for painting, 2018 I want to try to get closer to what you / ijyt / the loving 30k thread can do.

If you still can, get a different spirit - than one has a strong and distinct odour and I couldn’t really work with it for long periods.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Geoff Zahn posted:

So, going to follow Saint Duncan's guide to painting Poxwalkers. Going to use a cheaper spray, something like Krylon, for the white undercoat. Duplicolor is too thin, I need something with more coverage. Which exact cheap white primer would be recommended in a case like this? All that will be going over primer on the skin will be washes and a small highlight, no base coats or layers.

Or would it be best to just do 4-5 layers of white duplicolor?

I typically prime with Rustoleum primers to pretty dece results. Krylon white is nice but depending on which one you use can require multiple coats.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

If you still can, get a different spirit - than one has a strong and distinct odour and I couldn’t really work with it for long periods.

Good to know, if it bugs me I live a few blocks from a blicks and will get something else

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Ilor posted:

poo poo. I just sold off mine. I had 10 of the mounts for the old GorkaMorka "Mutie Raiders":

You can still get them on eBay, but they're pricey. If you want, I can contact the guy I sold mine to and see if he's willing to part with them.

I was hoping to find an easy to acquire source, in case i ever wanted to expand! that guy looks amazing though.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just finished work on two 54mm ultramarines.
I've got three more to do, but they won't be aiming their guns, thankfully (probably).

I only did low level highlights (using enchanted blue) but no extreme/edge highlights.
I did do some shading with regal blue, and leviathan purple, in areas that seemed logical.

E: timg is useful when posing from imgur :v:

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 18, 2018

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Any tips on busting unusually persistent clogs in dropper bottle nozzles, or failing that, any recommendations for where to buy replacement nozzle parts? I'm using the Reaper Master Paint bottles if it helps.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Paperclips of varying sizes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

Any tips on busting unusually persistent clogs in dropper bottle nozzles, or failing that, any recommendations for where to buy replacement nozzle parts? I'm using the Reaper Master Paint bottles if it helps.

Have you popped the tips off and cleaned out the gunk? I find that you usually have an inordinate amount of crap lodged in the bottle tops, especially if you have ever stored them upside down.

And, like Arthil said, paperclips or nails.