Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Russ is fine, he's just not very funny. He seems like an ok dude though. I've never found myself annoyed or mad at him or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I forgot to mention:

Brothers, you can't tell me you've been using both Stitch Fix and Trunk Club, because they are the same loving thing.

I was only half listening, but during the last Wonderful, where they had to do twice as many ads because they missed a week, I think Griffin promoted two different meal delivery services back to back.

Kenny Logins posted:

The end of the most recent MBMBaM had an ad for Friendly Fire which is a collab between The Greatest Generation guys and John Roderick of Roderick On The Line (and other great shows). First real ep is talking about Saving Private Ryan. It's pretty decent if you like war movies.

Did you listen to episode 0? Apparently they've already recorded like twenty episodes. I know Greatest Gen record pretty far in advance, but twenty episodes in the can before releasing even one is crazy to me.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Tears In A Vial posted:

Did you listen to episode 0? Apparently they've already recorded like twenty episodes. I know Greatest Gen record pretty far in advance, but twenty episodes in the can before releasing even one is crazy to me.
I did but I didn't catch that part. I guess it makes sense, knowing John's schedule.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

did the greatest gen guys ever stop doing bad Trump impressions

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

dogsicle posted:

did the greatest gen guys ever stop doing bad Trump impressions

Trumpicard is a pretty rare character, I think he only appeared three or four times total.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Colonel Whitey posted:

Russ is fine, he's just not very funny. He seems like an ok dude though. I've never found myself annoyed or mad at him or anything.

Russ seems to be best in more 'personal' things, 2 man videos and all. In a group he seems to clam up and just kinda be a normal dude playing a game (sometimes not well), which is far from the worst social issue to have.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
All of the Polygon people are good.

Some are just much more good.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Anyone listen to the History of Fun polygon podcast? I quite like it.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot too.

They're kinda killing it lately. The regular Polygon Show podcast is still consistently great, Game Ogre and Yellface are both good, and I'm really psyched for more of their new monthly board game series.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The theme for Amnesty is a loving banger, yo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Game Ogre seems like an idea a creepy dude came up with to be inside the same shirt as a girl. It doesn't help the dude in question looks a hell of a lot like the kind of creepy dude in question. Like imagine if this was Nick. This guy looks like a double Nick.

It's mainly a ripoff of an idea IGN was already doing except added awkwardness

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

The theme for Amnesty is a loving banger, yo

It definitely is. I'm loving the strings in there.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Game Ogre seems like an idea a creepy dude came up with to be inside the same shirt as a girl. It doesn't help the dude in question looks a hell of a lot like the kind of creepy dude in question. Like imagine if this was Nick. This guy looks like a double Nick.

Patrick is good, please, don’t

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Pat says he came up with it day one at Polygon, and when Simone found out about it recently she basically forced him to do it with her.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

this post is weirder than anything about game ogre

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

poor life choice posted:

Patrick is good, please, don’t

He's creepy.

Looking and sounding

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 18, 2018

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Tears In A Vial posted:

It definitely is. I'm loving the strings in there.

sounds like he's using more garageband loops that are also used in the Bastion soundtrack, always makes for cool music

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He's creepy.

Looking and sounding

You edited your post but it still doesn't explain...How?

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 18, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Imagine a known sexual harasser doing a thing. Creepy right? Now imagine a different person doing the same thing. I don’t think I need to elaborate

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think that the unmasking of known cutie Nick Robinson was proof enough that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

EDIT: I mean, he's not so cute anymore obv.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I guess it's really dickish to say "that guy looks like a creep harasser" it's just his entire aesthetic jibes with people I've been unfortunate enough to know IRL who have turned out super sketchy. No need to put that evil on him

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think it's really stupid to come in here swinging that this person you saw a video of once must be an abuser, especially when you know absolutely nothing about the situation

IMO patrick gill seems like a nice dude and also if otacon had a kid with matthew gray gubler

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
FACT: Patrick Gill is strong and loves to gently caress. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=INqVF9uHcyA

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
His original pitch was for him to do it with Russ.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
as long as we're talking about polygon, brian is a brilliant addition to the team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQ5HbDzHvQ

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Yeah, Brian's soulless stare absolutely makes that video.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

It just breaks the feeling of the scene he's setting up for me. That's not how written or spoken prose is supposed to work, and makes me think of having to listen to someone pitch the first draft of their film script.
This is from a few pages back, but I'm in the film biz, and you're absolutely NOT supposed to do this in a pitch or even early drafts. You don't get to camera directions until an actual shooting draft for the set, once production is underway and it's all been storyboarded. Even then, those drafts are for the crew; you don't ever convey those things to the audience, you just tell them the story.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, probably a good thing they're not making a film then.

And I liked the new episode. I expect some people probably won't be fans of how they're still doing solo scenes but having a lot of solo content seems okay for an experimental arc where they're trying different things, and a long sequence where the characters don't even know each other yet is definitely an experiment. I also think when they do one-on-one roleplaying they tend to get a little more in-character and have more chances to establish their tone and style, once the three of them are together the chatter usually becomes more mixed and it can be harder to tell what's in-character or not.

Now might be a good time to start bringing them together, though. I'm cool with Aubrey coming to grips with the monsterss and magic revelations nice and quick to keep the pace up, although how they rope her into helping specifically with the current monster situation isn't clear yet. Ned's got a stake since he lives in town, although I'm also looking forward to his reaction to Bigfoot being real. Decent chance he starts filming on the spot to get some killer footage for the zine

Edit: Honestly, I hadn't considered it but in a longer series there could be an interesting subplot concerning Ned's desire to keep his business open and attract tourists and the lodge's desire to keep a low profile. Sort of an interesting parallel to what Griffin set up as tension between the fringe tourist trap businesses and the more reputable nature trail image the town's trying to cultivate.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 19, 2018

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Bonk posted:

Yeah, Brian's soulless stare absolutely makes that video.

This is from a few pages back, but I'm in the film biz, and you're absolutely NOT supposed to do this in a pitch or even early drafts. You don't get to camera directions until an actual shooting draft for the set, once production is underway and it's all been storyboarded. Even then, those drafts are for the crew; you don't ever convey those things to the audience, you just tell them the story.

Yeah, I've read enough about screenwriting to know it's a no-no, but it absolutely feels like a thing people who don't know the business think they have to throw into their first screenplay and then use to describe the action when telling very disinterested friends about it. That's why it feels distracting when I've heard Griffin and Austin doing it. I don't want to feel like I'm hearing a working draft filled with notes.

Not to harp on it too much. It's not the worst thing. Just not the best.

Dolash posted:

Well, probably a good thing they're not making a film then.

Which is exactly why they shouldn't be talking about non-existent cameras panning around.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I loving love Duck Newton. Thanks for reading.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Not Operator posted:

All of the Polygon people are good.

Some are just much more good.

except for phil kollar who is as big a creep as nick robinson

e: then again his status at polygon is completely up in the air right now with no statements from either side so

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 19, 2018

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Which is exactly why they shouldn't be talking about non-existent cameras panning around.

No it's not, saying you don't use camera-pan terminology in film-script writing doesn't mean much for spoken narration in a non-film industry because the reason given in film is because there are other people, later in the process, who make camera decisions and you're stepping on their toes. There's never going to be a director of photography for TAZ making on-set decisions about what angles will work best for a scene given these actors and the available set and lighting etc etc.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Listen y'all I like Griffin as much as the next guy.

But this episode of adventurezone was 75% Griffin and 25% everybody else. I'm gonna need more than 8% Clint next episode.

This arc is starting to sour on me just because I love Clint, Travis, and Justin interacting with each other. Griffin has explicitly disallowed them building goofs or making interesting character choices.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

psychoJ posted:

except for phil kollar who is as big a creep as nick robinson

e: then again his status at polygon is completely up in the air right now with no statements from either side so

I guess doing a video series with Griffin must just be a kiss of death

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Dolash posted:

No it's not, saying you don't use camera-pan terminology in film-script writing doesn't mean much for spoken narration in a non-film industry because the reason given in film is because there are other people, later in the process, who make camera decisions and you're stepping on their toes. There's never going to be a director of photography for TAZ making on-set decisions about what angles will work best for a scene given these actors and the available set and lighting etc etc.

I don't mean to make this a derail, so I'll just say what I mean here, and if you disagree, that's fine.

You shouldn't use camera terms in audio narration because there are no cameras and never will be, but it makes it sound like that's what you're trying to write it for. So it distracts the listener (in my case, at least) and makes them think they're listening to something that was meant to be filmed.

And it's not hard to do without it. Instead of "the camera pans out, and we see the Hunger above", it flows better to say something like, "out of sight, somewhere far above is the Hunger". It keeps the narrative going and doesn't call attention to the fact that someone's reading from a script.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Listen y'all I like Griffin as much as the next guy.

But this episode of adventurezone was 75% Griffin and 25% everybody else. I'm gonna need more than 8% Clint next episode.

This arc is starting to sour on me just because I love Clint, Travis, and Justin interacting with each other. Griffin has explicitly disallowed them building goofs or making interesting character choices.

They absolutely loving need to be in a group with each other within 5 minutes of the start of the next episode or I'm out on this arc.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Griffin narrating camera movements and the focus on solo scenes are the two things I liked least about the ending of Balance and I'm disappointed that Griffin is still doing those.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Personally I think as a group they rag on Clint way too much and don't give him enough time. Travis can explain a complicated maneuver for minutes before being interrupted, Clint can hardly get in a sentence before they make fun of him in some way.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

AngryBooch posted:

They absolutely loving need to be in a group with each other within 5 minutes of the start of the next episode or I'm out on this arc.

But they're not even close to one another! I thought they were going to at least START converging. They're just as far apart as they were at the beginning of the episode! Each sub-plot ended for the episode and all I could say was "...OK".

I don't think Clint has rolled the dice this arc and we're two episodes out. He's been given the least interesting options and he clearly doesn't know what to do with the scraps Griffin is throwing at his feet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Personally I think as a group they rag on Clint way too much and don't give him enough time. Travis can explain a complicated maneuver for minutes before being interrupted, Clint can hardly get in a sentence before they make fun of him in some way.

It's because he's their dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I never noticed the camera thing before but now it's really bothering me. Thanks, thread!