Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

Generally, a skilled flooring company should be able to either refinish or replace/blend in something like that. If you want a fully homogeneous floor, it might be worth refinishing the whole shebang.

If it's laminate, then you're SOL and probably have to replace everything to keep it uniform. If it's engineered, it might be refinishable, but replacing it as a patch might be tricky.

If it can't be matched, maybe put in some tile there to act as an entryway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One option since it's such a small area, if you can't get matching material, is to "steal" some from a closet. Basically cut the floor out of a closet, use the reclaimed flooring to patch the highly visible/public area, and put down some kind of non-matching whatever flooring in the closet where nobody will see it much.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

One option since it's such a small area, if you can't get matching material, is to "steal" some from a closet. Basically cut the floor out of a closet, use the reclaimed flooring to patch the highly visible/public area, and put down some kind of non-matching whatever flooring in the closet where nobody will see it much.

Seems to me like if the flooring's old though that the closet will still be a mismatch compared to the floor in the room, just because the room gets so much more traffic and sunlight than a closet floor would.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Definitely a possibility, yeah. But like if you're trying to match and the original flooring isn't available, the stuff in the closet might be a better match than whatever totally different product is available now. It's just something to consider.

As an aside, when we were resurfacing our hardwood floors, we used a closet to test a couple different stains before we decided on one. Same wood, and no difference in wear once we sanded it all down anyway, and nobody's going to care that a couple planks in a bedroom closet are stained different colors.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Edit: Wrong thread.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I like these ideas but it's a moot point. All my closets and rooms except wet/eating areas (tile) are carpet with just the slab underneath. Yay early 90s construction! The only wood in the house is the formal dining room which attaches to the 2-foot spot in question that extends from the front door to the carpeted living area. I suppose I could just tile it instead, I hadn't considered that. It might be a mishmash of too many textures at once though. Bad pictures but it's the best I can find on my phone right now.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
If that is slab on grade, it's very likely engineered flooring and will probably be hard to blend. Personally, it looks like a good area for tile as it's an entrance area.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
And there's a squirrel stuck in my woodstove...again.

The first time it happened was over the summer. It was in the woodstove, and when I open the door to shove a trap in there, he scampered up the flue and into the horizontal portion of the chimney, like so:

Her then fell into the clean-out on the outside, so I was able to detach it from the rest of the chimney pipe and set it on the ground and he ran away.

It's in our basement, and isn't a main source of heat, so we hadn't ever used the stove at that point, only been in the house a couple years. We decided this winter to try and use it, see if it made the house any warmer. Had it inspected, it was all ok except a bad chimney cap...replaced that, figured squirrel problems would be solved...but no.

We have used it a decent amount since about mid December since we've had VERY cold weather in the northeast. But this past week temps were a lot warmer, so we felt no need to use it, decided to save the wood for the real cold days. I went into the basement this morning and heard scampering in the woodstove again. I plan to try the same strategy, make noise to scare him up the chimney and into the cleanout and then remove it.

What can I do to keep squirrels out of there? I though the new chimney cap would help, but I guess there's still enough of a gap. I assume they crawl up the braces that run from the roof to the chimney, so can I put something on those that they can't get around?
Pics from when we had the inspection done:

That's the old chimney cap, the one I installed is just the generic one they have at Lowe's:

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Wrap some hardware cloth around that cap so animals can't get in or buy a chimney cap with mesh already installed.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You could also look for stuff designed to keep squirrels out of bird feeders.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Any fire should turn them to carbon pretty quick but if you insist upon keeping them out they sell caps designed to do that. You can probably also add the spark arrestor for your cap that will keep them out.

https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...44453726750.htm

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 12, 2018

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Speaking of cold northeast weather, just got my first real utility bills. $280 for gas for the month, and that’s with the thermostat at 64 daytime/60 overnight. Electric was $140 but I’m guessing that’s within normal.

I remember my 2BR apartment in philly.. $18 electric bill and AC/water were built into rent :allears:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

I assume they crawl up the braces that run from the roof to the chimney, so can I put something on those that they can't get around?

Rat guards

(Though squirrels might be better jumpers so ymmv.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Any fire should turn them to carbon pretty quick but if you insist upon keeping them out they sell caps designed to do that. You can probably also add the spark arrestor for your cap that will keep them out.

https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...44453726750.htm

This is the right answer. It's a good idea to have a spark arrestor anyway, and the fine mesh will keep animals out of the chimney as a bonus.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Need a "how screwed am I" assessment:

It seems like there's opossums in our upstairs walls (at least one, but probably two). How the gently caress do we get them out? We don't have an attic or crawlspace, so do we have to cut down a chunk of a wall so that the wildlife control people can get in there?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'd imagine they'd try to lure the animals out and then trap them. After all, if they got in, hopefully they can get out.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Got a question about some flooring. My friends redid their kitchen floor, which ended up leaving a gap of about 6 inches between the kitchen laminate and hardwood in the next room. It's slightly higher leveled on the non kitchen side and basically needs a strip of something laid down to bridge the divide. What terms should I use to search for how to fix this for them? I want it to be my wedding present to them in June.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

Got a question about some flooring. My friends redid their kitchen floor, which ended up leaving a gap of about 6 inches between the kitchen laminate and hardwood in the next room. It's slightly higher leveled on the non kitchen side and basically needs a strip of something laid down to bridge the divide. What terms should I use to search for how to fix this for them? I want it to be my wedding present to them in June.

You need a threshold.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Spikes32 posted:

Why is the gap 6”?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

mattfl posted:

You need a threshold.

Thanks!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

veiled boner fuel posted:

Why is the gap 6”?

Because of how the previous floor was laid out and they didn't have previous diy experience when renovating large parts of their just bought 1970s condo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veiled boner fuel posted:

Why is the gap 6”?

Seems large enough to make a threshold look silly. Maybe tile would work better.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Yeah your typical threshold piece is 2 or 3”, not the 7 or 8” that it sounds like this needs. It sounds like they need to put down some more laminate but maybe I’m misunderstanding the issue.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Next time I'm over at their house I'll take a picture. Maybe they do just need more laminate, but I remember there being a reason they didn't just put more laminate down originally

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
anyone have a toilet that uses air pressure to blast poop on its journey? I'm looking to replace the toilets in my house (both of the design that gravity plus a bunch of water is all you need) and I like the idea of these air pressure toilets but I want to get a sense of how loud they are. Are they as loud as the commercial toilets that just get line pressure or are they quieter than that?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What the gently caress

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Hey, toilets are serious business. The Roman Empire collapsed because they didn't have toilets.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

anyone have a toilet that uses air pressure to blast poop on its journey? I'm looking to replace the toilets in my house (both of the design that gravity plus a bunch of water is all you need) and I like the idea of these air pressure toilets but I want to get a sense of how loud they are. Are they as loud as the commercial toilets that just get line pressure or are they quieter than that?

Forcing a bunch of air down your pipe seems like a terrible idea. For example, there's an open-to-the-air pipe as part of that sewer line, basically a standpipe that goes up through the roof or something. If your sewer line is clogged downstream, and you force your toilet water in using high pressure, it's gonna climb up that stack, then when the air pressure stops, it's gonna come right back down that stack... and right out your toilet, goosh, like a poo poo eruption.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I think he meant this

https://www.thespruce.com/pressure-assisted-toilet-works-1824909

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Now I want the space shuttle toilet with a strong enough vacuum pump to make it work.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
AIUI the proper solution here is a macerating toilet with a pump.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Molybdenum posted:

Pressure assisted toilets don't actually perform any better than good quality gravity flush toilets in tests, they're just louder and more expensive. Check out an American Standard Champion 4 Max as an example of a good performing gravity flush toilet.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

They also have a tendency to spray poop up the back of the toilet. I’ve seen a kind of wall of poop behind toilets in a place or two that has these. (Still inside the actual toilet, along the back. Not outside the toilet as far as I’ve noticed.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

They absolutely are just as loud as 90 PSI fed commercial toilets where you think they might get sucked through the floor when you flush them.
AI buddy put them in his restaurant bathrooms after a remodel. They don't do any better job than the standard ones there were in there before.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I have kind of a weird HVAC issue going on. I have a two story house with one unit per floor. Both units are in the attic and suck air in from the upstairs hallway. No humidifiers on the units.

The last few days, the downstairs unit seems to be heating the upstairs more than the downstairs - I turned up the thermostat a couple degrees and by the time it had gotten the downstairs warm (which took longer than usual) the upstairs had gone up 5 degrees.

I looked around the units in the attic and everything looks and sounds right to me. Some air is definitely coming out of the vents downstairs but it might not be as much as before, it's hard to tell. I can't find any obvious air leaks coming out of places they shouldn't upstairs.

I plan to call the HVAC company so a professional can come diagnose it, but this is a goofy issue and I was curious if anyone had any theories? All I can think of is a blower fan that is not rotating as fast as it should, but even that seems like it wouldn't cause the upstairs to heat so much.

Edit to add: I just called a guy and discussed the issue, he seems to think it's pretty normal based on my open floor plan. He thinks that since it's only below 40 here for a few weeks a year I might just not have noticed it too much in the past, since the same effect wouldn't occur with A/C.

Droo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 23, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Droo posted:

Hot air rises

I am surprised you don't have cold air returns in the downstairs for the downstairs unit. (You may) but if you are sucking all the air off the upstairs ceiling it is just going to make the circulation worse for retaining heat where it don't want to be.

Of course in the summer the reverse is true so may just be a design decision.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Molybdenum posted:

Is the problem just that the existing toilets don't do it well?

I had a similar problem in my old house. The old pre-1.6 gallon toilets literally wouldn't flush poo poo. Replaced them and poop went down every time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Frozen pipes saga:

Getting a new bathroom floor to fix the cold water pipe break.
Have to tear into the kitchen wall to find the hot water pipe break.

Estimate so far to fix cold water / restore bathroom + fix hot water (but doesn't include restore yet) is 5500.

My deductible is 1000 and they're paying for everything else. No claim submitted to utility company, yet, because final costs aren't clear. If utility pays up then I'll get reimbursed for my deductible.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Alereon posted:

Pressure assisted toilets don't actually perform any better than good quality gravity flush toilets in tests, they're just louder and more expensive. Check out an American Standard Champion 4 Max as an example of a good performing gravity flush toilet.

This is the one true answer--I replaced both of my toilets with these and the plunger is now completely obsolete. Even the small closet bathroom, I replaced the kids height round bowl toilet with the elongated chair height Champion 4, and it only added 1" overall to the depth of the toilet. Meanwhile, removing the pedestal sink and installing an Ikea sideways vanity that was 10" deep added 7" of space, making the whole bathroom so much more useable and spacious.

You could flush a bucket of golf balls with that baby, it's a huge quality of life improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

You could flush a bucket of golf balls with that baby, it's a huge quality of life improvement.

While impressive please don't flush the baby. :ohdear: