Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
There are multiple cheap pickups that sound like rear end without a dedicated preamp of the right impedance, but there are a few that sound very fine just plugged straight into an amp:

Upton Revolution (no direct experience)
Fishman Full Circle (I use this)
David Gage Realist (college buddy uses this)

Feedback is the enemy. A good preamp can definitely help, as some are designed with that in mind, but with proper cabinet and bass placement feedback can be avoided for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I've been playing bass for about 16 years now and finally have my own upright. Engelhardt ES-1 Supreme. Got it for a great deal and it's in perfect shape. Old bluegrass guy bought it and hosted a jam night weekly for a few years in his house so it's basically mint. Plays and sounds great. My jazz chops are coming back quickly after not touching an upright since college. gently caress yes

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

The Science Goy posted:

There are multiple cheap pickups that sound like rear end without a dedicated preamp of the right impedance, but there are a few that sound very fine just plugged straight into an amp:

Upton Revolution (no direct experience)
Fishman Full Circle (I use this)
David Gage Realist (college buddy uses this)

Feedback is the enemy. A good preamp can definitely help, as some are designed with that in mind, but with proper cabinet and bass placement feedback can be avoided for the most part.

Really depends on the amp - some can take a high impedance pickup just fine and some can't. Unfortunately, none of mine can, so my plan is to get the Full Circle and the Platinum Pro EQ/DI/Tuner preamp pedal.

Bottom Liner posted:

I've been playing bass for about 16 years now and finally have my own upright. Engelhardt ES-1 Supreme. Got it for a great deal and it's in perfect shape. Old bluegrass guy bought it and hosted a jam night weekly for a few years in his house so it's basically mint. Plays and sounds great. My jazz chops are coming back quickly after not touching an upright since college. gently caress yes

The ES1 is so much better than the Engelhardt I had. The ebony fingerboard makes such a big difference. Great bass! What strings do you have on it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

He had some Labella nylons on their that are brand new looking. I'm going to throw some Spirocores on it soon though.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Crossposting from new gear thread:

Just picked up an old Ibanez 2354LB, a Gibson EB-3L copy. It has some issues I'm trying to work through though. I get nothing from the neck pickup. As far as I can tell the wiring on these is both pickups on all the time, and the switch is just a three position varitone which goes just adds more capacitors into the signal path to remove high end. No matter how I have it set I get nothing from the neck, I tried to get an ohms reading from the back of the pot but nothing, I'll try desoldering later in case the pot is bad. The chrome cover on the pickup is soldered to the internal shell so I couldn't easily inspect it for any broken traces. If the pickup is actually dead I'm not sure what I'll replace it with, I don't think that cavity is deep enough to hold an actual Gibson mudbucker (at least one with the design of that time period).

The action was terrible but I got it mostly down, though I think I maxed out the truss and its still not quite ideal. The bridge is a pain to adjust because to change the height you need to remove all string tension, and to adjust intonation you've got to remove the mute assembly.

Aside from those things its not in bad shape, but definitely needs a cleaning. I only have rounds so I will replacing the strings with them when it comes time. I've always thought the slotted headstocks looked cool, but now seeing how they work I realize they're gonna be kind of a pain to deal with.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I would totally pay a hundred bucks for that, it's pretty cool! Should be a nice little project to fix it up.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Decided to crack open the "chrome plated powerful humbucking pickup" that's not working.

Obviously not the most accurate description. If you notice on the pickup bobbin there are no sorts of eyelets or anything to attach the wires to. When making the pickup they just wrapped the coils in a couple layers of tape, then put the ends of the pickup wire and then the leads on top of them and a few more layers of tape wrapped tight and hoped for the best.

It looks like one of the wires snapped and I can't find the end of it, so that's about all I can do with this. Maybe I'll try to rewind it, but I really should just find someone to send it off to since I've never done anything like that myself.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Man, I don't know if it's worth having that re-wound. If you are going to that much trouble, just get a custom-wound brand-new pickup that won't have this design flaw.

Also, this looks like a 1951-1956-era Precision bass single-coil. Just put one of those in if the measurements are right.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

SCPB was my first thought as well, but the pole spacing on this is too narrow. For rewind vs custom I don't really care and would just pick whatever is cheaper, I'd just want it to fit under the original cover which seems to be bigger than most modern drop in replacements.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
That's a really nice Ibanez, I hope you'll get it fixed!

I've been looking at some short scales for a while, I really want one as a home bass and maybe to record some stuff for my solo sampler / drum machine project.

Can you guys recommend a great pre amp for home recoding? I've been reduced to making music at home since my main band practises two hours from where I live. I'm otherwise quite happy with my setup (Octatrack, Digitakt, loads of pedals & bass) but the bass signal from the direct out of my Firebass sucks rear end.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 16, 2018

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

DrChu posted:

SCPB was my first thought as well, but the pole spacing on this is too narrow. For rewind vs custom I don't really care and would just pick whatever is cheaper, I'd just want it to fit under the original cover which seems to be bigger than most modern drop in replacements.

Just get a cheap rail type pickup if pole spacing is an issue.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Thumposaurus posted:

Just get a cheap rail type pickup if pole spacing is an issue.

I think the issue is that the pickup cover has holes for the poles. It has pole holes. The entire cover is like a square metal bowl with pole holes. Using rails would take a toll on the bowl's pole holes.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I think the issue is that the pickup cover has holes for the poles. It has pole holes. The entire cover is like a square metal bowl with pole holes. Using rails would take a toll on the bowl's pole holes.

It would be quite droll, but that's not how I would roll with my pole holes.

It would probably be more expensive than it's worth to have someone fab a cover that fits the space but has cutouts for rails.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Only use one pickup and route out the space for a fuzz circuit

DrChu
May 14, 2002

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Only use one pickup and route out the space for a fuzz circuit

Best plan B option yet.

I've decided to try rewinding myself since this is just gonna be a cheap project. If that fails there's a $40 pickup by Artec that may have the right pole spacing I could swap into my cover, and if that fails a professional rewind is like $75.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

Best plan B option yet.

I've decided to try rewinding myself since this is just gonna be a cheap project. If that fails there's a $40 pickup by Artec that may have the right pole spacing I could swap into my cover, and if that fails a professional rewind is like $75.

Since your sole, full, and rather droll goal's to line up the poles with the bowl's holes, before you buy that $40 pickup, carefully measure between the centers of the bowl's pole holes, and compare this to the specs of the pickup. It should indicate, somewhere, how far apart the poles are from each other. (Or, at least, the total spacing from the first to the last pole.) That way, you can avoid paying $40 for something you probably have no use for (if it doesn't fit.)

(I mean, if it doesn't bowl pole hole full sole goal wool....)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Mods?

MODS

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thought I'd share my franken-J-bass with you guys. It's a MIA Fender body that was stripped down and spray painted a few times, then stripped down and stained/clear coated with a MIM neck that just felt and played much better than the MIA one. I also added a custom finger ramp between the pickups that I absolutely love. This thing has seen a ton of gigs and travel when I was in a band in college and is still my favorite bass of all time. I do want to replace the electronics and upgrade the sound, but for playability this is just My Bass. Also pictured is my early 2000s Bassman amp, which is the best sounding rig I've ever heard. The enhance circuit is some real magic with the tone knob and both pickups on full.

Sorry for the poor lighting

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 17, 2018

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

That's dope

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

so toasty

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Really curious to find out what pedal this guy is using for this song (covering Boyz Noize, somehow): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVwh8FEsWUk#t=7m53s

Earlier in the vid it looks like he's using a boss pedal, couldn't see which one though.

Man this is also making me want to get a five string, that oomph of that lower B string (I guess?) just has such presence, but I just bought a loving Music Man just recently.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
help, this bass has too many strings!(excuse my mess, carvin and rev have already seen this thread also)

A "like new" Ibanez SR706FF, small dent on the back of the body, looks like someone dropped it but you don't see the back so who cares.

Very nice bass for the money, very light, the fan frets are actually super natural to play and I think I prefer multiscale after only using it a short while.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fanned frets do amazing things for E and B strings. Both sound and feel-wise.

Anyone got an old fretless lying around? Or know of a good cheap replacement neck for a j bass?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone got an old fretless lying around? Or know of a good cheap replacement neck for a j bass?

You can get a fretless neck from Mighty Mite. It's ebanol, which looks a bit like acrylic on black plastic, but it plays very well. The hard surface gives it a bit more mwah than you might be wanting (especially with roundwounds), but get some black nylon-wound flats on there and you'll be golden. I just checked their site, and they have a P-bass-width, unlined fretless neck for sale. Not bad quality; Musician's Friend has them for around $110 or so. For a new neck, that's hard to beat.

If you want a lined one, you'll have to shop around. I know they (Mighty Mite) used to have a lined version, but I don't know what happened to it. Also check eBay and Amazon, but watch out for those $20 - $50 necks from China.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

tarlibone posted:

I just checked their site, and they have a P-bass-width, unlined fretless neck for sale. Not bad quality; Musician's Friend has them for around $110 or so. For a new neck, that's hard to beat.

I don't mind P bass necks, but would that fit a J body?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
They use the same pocket AFAIK.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't mind P bass necks, but would that fit a J body?

Anime Reference posted:

They use the same pocket AFAIK.

This, pretty much. The main difference between the two necks is the nut width (and thus the string spacing).

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Buhbuhj posted:

help, this bass has too many strings!(excuse my mess, carvin and rev have already seen this thread also)

A "like new" Ibanez SR706FF, small dent on the back of the body, looks like someone dropped it but you don't see the back so who cares.

Very nice bass for the money, very light, the fan frets are actually super natural to play and I think I prefer multiscale after only using it a short while.

Hey Ibanez FF bass buddy! :hfive:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Shageletic posted:

Really curious to find out what pedal this guy is using for this song (covering Boyz Noize, somehow): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVwh8FEsWUk#t=7m53s

Earlier in the vid it looks like he's using a boss pedal, couldn't see which one though.
Looks like either a Boss GT-10 or GT-10B.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I need a bass amp for a metal/rock band. I have 500 plus tax to spend. Should I get a Aguilar tone hammer 350, tc electronic bh550, or a tech 21 vt bass 500? Anyone used any of these?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Krustic posted:

I need a bass amp for a metal/rock band. I have 500 plus tax to spend. Should I get a Aguilar tone hammer 350, tc electronic bh550, or a tech 21 vt bass 500? Anyone used any of these?

I have a TH500 and really like it. It has an interesting solid state but vintage sound. Warm but just enough modern treble if you need it. The EQ is wonderful. Super loud if you need it to be. I have to imagine the 350 is going to be pretty similar so if you have any questions I can try to answer.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a mighty mite fretless neck on a jazz body.

The body I have isn't a real Fender body but the specs are the same the neck bolted right up no problem.
The ebonol fingerboard is way too shiny I took some 0000 steel wool to it to knock it down.
Other than that it's been a fine and stable neck .
They come with a thin sealer coat on them I sprayed some lacquer on this one if I was to do it again I'd get a gun stock oil like tru-oil to do it with.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Whats up with the fretless love itt?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have a TH500 and really like it. It has an interesting solid state but vintage sound. Warm but just enough modern treble if you need it. The EQ is wonderful. Super loud if you need it to be. I have to imagine the 350 is going to be pretty similar so if you have any questions I can try to answer.

I know it has some pretty good dirty tones but can it produce a good clean sound? Does it take pedals well?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I now this doesn't answer your questions but both the Orange OB1 and Ampeg Portaflex models are class D amps and sound great.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

Shhh.... just let it happen....

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Dyna Soar posted:

Just turn around, relax completely, and let the mwah-beast glissando into the deepest parts of your... uhm... soul....

The Science Goy posted:

Shhh.... just let it happen....

My Squier Vintage Modified P-bass is fretless, but the neck is lined. :( That said... I love the streaked look on that fretless of yours. You should consider putting some of these on it, if you're into that sort of thing.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 19, 2018

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

No one should feel bad about playing a lined fretless. Sometimes you just plain can't hear yourself onstage.

It only gets stainless DR HiBeams because you can always resurface a fingerboard.

edit:

and while I'm plant posting here's the owner of that toasty neck, (mostly) finished putting it together the other night

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 19, 2018

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Play a lined fretless and see how long you can go without anyone realizing it's fretless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

tarlibone posted:

My Squier Vintage Modified P-bass is fretless, but the neck is lined. :( That said... I love the streaked look on that fretless of yours. You should consider putting some of these on it, if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm a La Bella guy - the other two electrics in that pic are strung with La Bella tapes. I'm going to try EB Cobalt flats on this bass whenever I get around to swapping them out, but I have considered putting tapes on it.

Also Deuce, that is some serious hotness (both of them).