Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I know it sounds goony as gently caress but having kids in this day and age seems like such a bad idea. We've surpassed 7 billion, global warming is going to gently caress us shortly and if it doesn't kill us, the next generation will get it. I'm resigned to not having kids, but I know for every one of me, there's a Catholic family who puts out 11 kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/954112338952679429

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

I know it sounds goony as gently caress but having kids in this day and age seems like such a bad idea. We've surpassed 7 billion, global warming is going to gently caress us shortly and if it doesn't kill us, the next generation will get it. I'm resigned to not having kids, but I know for every one of me, there's a Catholic family who puts out 11 kids.

It's goony and the dumbest reason to not have kids. Like, if you don't want them, that's good enough, but it's only been the spergiest of mofos I know that use this as justification or rather post about it on Facebook. They also have hot takes about Santa and how metal music means you're smart.

edit: It's also an extremely fatalistic view

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 18, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

seiferguy posted:

Eh, in the end, I am an optimist about the human condition. We are a species of problem solvers

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
If any of y'all are CPAs/CISAs in DC/Norfolk/San Diego and are looking for a career change...shoot me a PM. My firm needs to hire a shitload of them.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
WHY IS MARSHAWNS CHILD WHITE

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

Someone got hired because they knew someone, or were already in line for a promotion, and the entire exercise of listing the job and collecting resumes was just performance art to comply with regulations.

I work for city government and yeah, that's about right.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Its Rinaldo posted:

We have a room in the house that has a barred waist high gate that closes the room off. I call it the baby prison.

Observe

We called ours the Thunderdome

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I applied for a job at a public agency for which I'm perfect. The role of the position is the venn diagram intersection between two niche subdisciplines. I am expertly skilled in both those two niche subdisciplines. That intersection is basically my entire shtick. The position calls for an associates degree and 2 years of experience. I have a masters and 4 years of experience.

Didn't even get called in for an interview but they sent a nice rejection letter!!!

Gah the work day needs to be over so I can deadlift until I can jump off this stupid planet

Sucks man, sometimes you have the perfect resume lined and then something torpedoes your chances and you'll never learn why. Happened to me with a position I interviewed for last summer, you just have to move on.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I approve of this office corgi policy

I'd love to bring mine to the office but he's really clingy and barks a lot for the first minute or two that I leave him alone.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Asked for an received a very nice raise this week. I wish you all the same luck in your endeavors to get loving paid. Except that one Nazi.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
lol GORKAAAAAA has an arrest warrant out in Hungary

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's funny but dino's didn't go extinct tho

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Neil Armbong posted:

It's goony and the dumbest reason to not have kids. Like, if you don't want them, that's good enough, but it's only been the spergiest of mofos I know that use this as justification or rather post about it on Facebook. They also have hot takes about Santa and how metal music means you're smart.

edit: It's also an extremely fatalistic view

Everything he said is correct and if you still want kids there are plenty of foster/adoption kids available.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Asked for an received a very nice raise this week. I wish you all the same luck in your endeavors to get loving paid. Except that one Nazi.

Congrats my friend.

Here's some otters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3dyt1t5gbs

e: oh snap snow otters pt 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN1zcU-xHrI

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 18, 2018

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Everything he said is correct and if you still want kids there are plenty of foster/adoption kids available.

At least in Texas, adopting a kid is more expensive and takes way longer than having a kid. I get in the context of his argument it makes sense, but of the people we know that foster/have adopted, it's not a process for the weak.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Leperflesh posted:

it's funny but dino's didn't go extinct tho

god dammit leper

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

axeil posted:

If any of y'all are CPAs/CISAs in DC/Norfolk/San Diego and are looking for a career change...shoot me a PM. My firm needs to hire a shitload of them.

Just saw that email too. They must be hard up for people to be pushing it like this.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

god dammit leper

Denver, he's my friend and a whole lot more.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/juliareinstein/status/954031988352192512

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Just saw that email too. They must be hard up for people to be pushing it like this.

Haha, yeah. Typically you don't see staffing requests go out for a single project but uh, knowing the project they absolutely are going to need all the people they can get.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

axeil posted:

Haha, yeah. Typically you don't see staffing requests go out for a single project but uh, knowing the project they absolutely are going to need all the people they can get.

Sounds like we’re FINALLY getting around to auditing the fed. It’s about time.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sounds like we’re FINALLY getting around to auditing the fed. It’s about time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I was told in my review for 2016 that performance-based raises are non-negotiable at my company. Then again I still got 3% this year even though all I ever hear from my boss is how I need to re-do this or that document or do a better job of saving e-mails, so I'll take it until I finally get out of this dead-end role.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
https://i.imgur.com/4wAX5RB.mp4

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I enjoyed using my smart phone to play with my cat back in the day. It was highly amusing how he thought everything on it was real and would get super frustrated by it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I was told in my review for 2016 that performance-based raises are non-negotiable at my company. Then again I still got 3% this year even though all I ever hear from my boss is how I need to re-do this or that document or do a better job of saving e-mails, so I'll take it until I finally get out of this dead-end role.

I work at a small company so we don’t have a lot of structure around compensation and raises which can make it a lot easier because there’s no “policy” that you’re asking them to forgo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Stumbled on this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

axeil posted:

I enjoyed using my smart phone to play with my cat back in the day. It was highly amusing how he thought everything on it was real and would get super frustrated by it.

I’m a little disappointed, between 4 cats and 2 dogs I’ve owned in my life, none of them has ever demonstrated even a passing interest in what’s on tv, and it always seemed so cute and fun.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I’m a little disappointed, between 4 cats and 2 dogs I’ve owned in my life, none of them has ever demonstrated even a passing interest in what’s on tv, and it always seemed so cute and fun.

Yeah my cat doesn't give a poo poo what's on TV over...Jesus it's been over 10 years now. Except once. One team she freaked the gently caress out when I was watching some nature show on hyenas. I'd had shows on them on in the background before and since but for whatever reason they scared the living poo poo out of her this one time, she normally has this really sleek tail but she was growling at the screen and all her hair was standing straight up. Looked like a completely different animal.

Probably scared me as much as it did her.

10 minutes later she was fine again and sleeping, and this never happened again.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

C-Euro posted:

How can you do a "better job of saving e-mails" like, why bother deleting emails at all?

I got a ~3% raise this year, which was presented to me as an exciting reward! I pointed out, gently, that I was modestly pleased that this year my salary would at least be flat after cost of living adjustment, and that kind of took the wind out of my (new) boss's sails.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

seiferguy posted:

There was this thing a few months ago: https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/9/26/16356524/the-population-question

Basically, even talking about overpopulation attracts all the racists, so empowering women and reducing wealth concentration are better ways of tackling the issue.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

How can you do a "better job of saving e-mails" like, why bother deleting emails at all?

It's less about never deleting emails and more "we need to refer to this email that we sent to the customer four years ago before you started working here, can you find it in our huge folder of customer correspondence?". Ah the joys of contract manufacturing...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ugh, that sounds fairly miserable, yeah.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If you think that's bad, for a while there we had a company-wide policy where you were only allotted 300 MB of storage space in Outlook, unless you were a director/VP or higher. Also messages were auto-deleted from your inbox after two years. Also also they heavily discouraged using your own personal network drive or any removable storage media to save e-mails, though everyone I spoke to did so and no one was punished for it to my knowledge. Fortunately they got rid of the storage cap, though I think the two-year retention policy is still in place...

My role as-advertised requires a chemistry degree as we're a chemical manufacturer, but based on what I'm asked to do at my job they could save money by finding a secretary/executive assistant who happened to get an A in high school chemistry and hire them to do my job instead.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Tell him if he really cared he'd budget/petition for a proper system f that

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I want kidnapping insurance

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

C-Euro posted:

If you think that's bad, for a while there we had a company-wide policy where you were only allotted 300 MB of storage space in Outlook, unless you were a director/VP or higher. Also messages were auto-deleted from your inbox after two years. Also also they heavily discouraged using your own personal network drive or any removable storage media to save e-mails, though everyone I spoke to did so and no one was punished for it to my knowledge. Fortunately they got rid of the storage cap, though I think the two-year retention policy is still in place...

My role as-advertised requires a chemistry degree as we're a chemical manufacturer, but based on what I'm asked to do at my job they could save money by finding a secretary/executive assistant who happened to get an A in high school chemistry and hire them to do my job instead.

At least from an IT perspective this is a good policy if you're forced to self-host exchange because the alternative is employees never archiving or deleting emails and you have to deal with massive utterly gigantic PST files dating back to the early 2000s that Outlook will refuse to open plus constantly expanding server disk space. My old job had a 2G limit and people still complained they had to archive once a year

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

I want kidnapping insurance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY7qGRhWcCo

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
WHAT DO WE WANT?

PEE TAPE

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?

NOW BUT I'M NOT GONNA WATCH IT BECAUSE THAT'S NASTY