Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
But this one looks like The Joker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I used to work with the strangest guy. Worked in IT, loved Ready Player One, has a side of his desk and shelf filled with Funko Pops. And he was very social, good people skills, well groomed, well dressed, married, exercised a ton, went to a lot of music shows and social events. Basically two opposites of what you would expect from each side.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

metallicaeg posted:

Have a horse-drawn carriage deliver vacuum-sealed 13 month old beef to the wedding that's being paid for by bitcoin that was sold at a loss after a second mortgage and a 401k loan was taken out for the initial bitcoin purchase.

I think that wraps up the past few pages.

e: with a wedding cake made of funko pops

Don't forget the essential oil marinade on that beef, friend

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Elysium posted:

I don't understand collecting stuff like this at all. Like once you've got a room full of a stack of boxes of Funko Pops... you've just got a room full of a stack of boxes. It doesn't even really matter what type or "rare limited release" they are, it's just a box in a stack of other boxes.

Yeah I really don't understand the Funko Pops thing. It's like collecting consumerism itself. It's not that people are specifically obsessed with stamps or rare books or a particular show/anime or whatever but instead are obsessed with buying the entirety of pop culture condensed into plastic form.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Enfys posted:

Yeah I really don't understand the Funko Pops thing. It's like collecting consumerism itself. It's not that people are specifically obsessed with stamps or rare books or a particular show/anime or whatever but instead are obsessed with buying the entirety of pop culture condensed into plastic form.

My girlfriend has a few. She doesn’t collect them, just buys a couple every now and hen of characters she likes. We make kitschy shelves out of converse boxes, it looks dumb but it makes her happy and it’s not an overwhelming amount. I think she averages about 4 Funko pops per year?

Edit:
lol true.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 18, 2018

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

My girlfriend has a few. She doesn’t collect them, just buys a couple every now and hen of characters she likes. We make kitschy shelves out of converse boxes, it looks dumb but it makes her happy and it’s not an overwhelming amount.

Lol :sever:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I used to work with the strangest guy. Worked in IT, loved Ready Player One, has a side of his desk and shelf filled with Funko Pops. And he was very social, good people skills, well groomed, well dressed, married, exercised a ton, went to a lot of music shows and social events. Basically two opposites of what you would expect from each side.

start read post "what's so strange about that, that's a neckb..."
end read post "i agree with you in every way"

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Mezzanon posted:

My girlfriend has a few. She doesn’t collect them, just buys a couple every now and hen of characters she likes. We make kitschy shelves out of converse boxes, it looks dumb but it makes her happy and it’s not an overwhelming amount.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a few. I mean, they're just little toys that are relatively cheap. My wife and I each have one (1). They're kind of cute little figures to put on your desk, and they have such a wide swath of popular culture that they produce toys that literally no one else is making. But the kinds of people that leave them in their box, or try to collect each one, probably have a problem with spending control. Or they are hoarders, or people that are such pop culture junkies that their entire lives, identities and personalities are completely dependent on watching TV and movies.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Drunk Tomato posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a few. I mean, they're just little toys that are relatively cheap. My wife and I each have one (1). They're kind of cute little figures to put on your desk, and they have such a wide swath of popular culture that they produce toys that literally no one else is making.

Same (1). I normally hate tacky nerd poo poo, but mine was a matter of "Oh hey someone actually made merch for an obscure character I like. That's neat; I guess he can sit on my desk for a while." I can't fathom, however, why anyone would want an expensive, presumably unsellable roomful of these little aesthetic nightmares.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Commissar Kayla posted:

On the other hand, the article says they bought when it was under $10, so it's really only $1.2m "investment".

Still bad with money due to those liquidation issues, though.
If they could manage to liquidate 1000 bitcoins now, they'd have 1000% ROI, which would be good. The rest would just be a wild spectator sport.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

This is more suited for the Tales of Cheap People thread, but I definitely have the latent hoarder/extreme cheapskate personality in me. False economy, etc.
I'm sick with something, and the comfort food right now is cereal. At the store, I picked out a couple boxes and continued shopping. When I got to their clearance display, there were tons of boxes of cereal marked $0.50 - $0.75. I put the other two back and got six boxes, but I'd be lying if I told you the idea of buying every single one didn't cross my mind. But that was like 25 - 30 boxes and I came to my senses. The expiration date is October 2018, so it's not like I'd have to eat everything right away. Giving yourself diabetes is BWM

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Moneyball posted:

This is more suited for the Tales of Cheap People thread, but I definitely have the latent hoarder/extreme cheapskate personality in me. False economy, etc.
I'm sick with something, and the comfort food right now is cereal. At the store, I picked out a couple boxes and continued shopping. When I got to their clearance display, there were tons of boxes of cereal marked $0.50 - $0.75. I put the other two back and got six boxes, but I'd be lying if I told you the idea of buying every single one didn't cross my mind. But that was like 25 - 30 boxes and I came to my senses. The expiration date is October 2018, so it's not like I'd have to eat everything right away. Giving yourself diabetes is BWM

WTH Moneyball, we're just doing this now?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Moneyball posted:

nice humblebrag on being able to afford 25-30 boxes of cereal

MODS?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I mean if you'd like to go back to half cow chat, I understand.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Trustworthy posted:

Same (1). I normally hate tacky nerd poo poo, but mine was a matter of "Oh hey someone actually made merch for an obscure character I like. That's neat; I guess he can sit on my desk for a while." I can't fathom, however, why anyone would want an expensive, presumably unsellable roomful of these little aesthetic nightmares.

I know someone who resells these. He says he’s made about $10k overall the last couple of years from selling them, I guess there’s a website to sell through but he also uses eBay.

That being said, he has a wall filled floor to ceiling with them so even if he has made money, it still definitely looks like a hoarding situation in his house.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like this is like a gambler telling you about how much they won. They “made money” selling kitch on the internet as long as you don’t think about their time, or in some cases their costs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Speaking of funkopops:
https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/954058032039768064

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Divorce proceedings Exhibit A.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I love that they excluded all the conventions, subscription boxes, and expensive "limited edition" ones from his thirty per loving week limit.

God drat, James. You loving idiot.

Edit: "Emergency pop fund" :lol:

Edit #2: The comments on that tweet claim this is his collection: https://imgur.com/a/RdTiF

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

This was already posted, I don't know why the image was linked instead of having img tags but whatever.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I bothered to check, and apparently those figures are commonly about $8, so he can basically buy 3-4 a week, or basically 15 a month, on his ''budget''. Without even accounting for all the exceptions carved out there as well. Or I guess he can really martyr himself and only get one of the more expensive ones a week, instead.

The most amazing thing to me is that Amanda apparently spent all the time negotiating this agreement, drafting, it and signing it, and at no point (maybe around the point where they were arguing over whether he should get $30 every Friday or $120 on the first of each month) did she say 'I deserve better than this in my life', torch all his vinyl figurines, and walk out of there.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Nocheez posted:

This was already posted, I don't know why the image was linked instead of having img tags but whatever.

Oh, I missed it earlier, not sure if it was edited in after I saw that, or if I was addled from the fumes of beef storage debate. :(

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I enjoy the LENGTHY list of exceptions where the spending limit doesn’t apply, including stuff like cons where a hoarder of lovely pop culture merch is obviously going to go hog wild.

It reminds me of the Blue Story thread. “Well, you see, we blew through 3x our monthly budget for Star Wars merch in the first six days of the month (again) because of XXXX which was a special circumstance so it doesn’t count”

Edit: I just noticed that sales of “WWE figures” can be used to supplement the Funko Pop fund :laffo:

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 18, 2018

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I spend way more than that on cigarettes.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Yes, but cigarettes only destroy your body, funko pops destroy your soul.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I forgot what my salary is.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I spend way more than that on cigarettes.
Cigarette spending counts as retirement though, because every dollar you spend on it reduces the retirement period you need to save for.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I can think of a lot of better things to collect than this, but also plenty of dumber ones too.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

My magic card collection is actually GWM

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Since it helps avoid the expenses associated with having kids, I agree.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sundae posted:

I love that they excluded all the conventions, subscription boxes, and expensive "limited edition" ones from his thirty per loving week limit.

God drat, James. You loving idiot.

Edit: "Emergency pop fund" :lol:

Edit #2: The comments on that tweet claim this is his collection: https://imgur.com/a/RdTiF

Lol at the collection of Coke bottles in the background of one of those images.

Also that's $1,620/year without all the exceptions. :psyduck:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bluestorybluestorybluestory the reincarnation of the glory
but with real pics lol

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I love incredibly smug this threads denizens will get as soon as someone posts about something they don't approve of

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Barry posted:

I love incredibly smug this threads denizens will get as soon as someone posts about something they don't approve of

this is a smug appreciation zone sorry

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Someone likes dumb plastic figurines? Not on my watch :smug:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Post your Funko Pop collection and tell us how much it cost, TIA.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Barry posted:

We get it, dude, you Funko Pop.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Dorbz"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/funkopop/comments/4v4cgv/i_had_to_create_a_poptract_between_my_wife_and_i/

This is apparently the guy. He's a middle school guidance counselor. He claims to have spent $36,890 on Funko Pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I don't understand collectibles, at all. Especially mass-produced crap that you can find at any Target.

So you just buy them and then leave them in the box and do nothing with them? Wow, that sure sounds like fun!