Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I went over tonight to help him hook it up. Immediately notice it's not running an OEM license on Win10, so that's probably pirated (it originally shipped with Windows 8.1, so the 8.1 key is in the UEFI.. if the previous owner did a legit 10 upgrade, it should be showing an OEM key, I think? not entirely sure on that one)

I'll have to look at my machines if you really need to know - they were all upgraded from an OEM copy of Win7, but as far as I can tell, there's no difference any more between OEM and non-OEM licensing. With Win7, you had to have OEM media if you used an OEM key. That doesn't appear to be the case with 10, which is refreshing. I could be wrong - I've never installed 10 fresh with an individual license key, just upgrades from 7 and 8.

quote:

I'm going to slap one of my old video cards in it to get it running multiple monitors (hopefully it doesn't disable the onboard video when it sees another card.

It probably will disable on-board, but you should be able to go into BIOS and re-enable it. That's how HPs work, anyway.

quote:

He's been clinging on to the idea that a $300 laptop can do everything a much beefier desktop can do for far too long (and bitching about it being so slow, and bitching about not being able to hook up 4 loving monitors, bitching about the 1366xwhatever resolution of the cheap panel in low end laptops, etc). I'm sure a high end laptop with a docking station could do what he wants, but it's a lot cheaper to do it with a proper desktop.

He also went and bought a "new in box, just been in storage for a year" 24" monitor to go with it. I asked him to at least check for the mounting holes on the back before buying it (since he plans to get one of those ridiculous 4 monitor stands), and to make sure he's getting a cable with it. Got a Samsung LED monitor, but from 2011. No VESA mount holes, no cables except for the power supply (why does Samsung love external power supplies so much?!). :argh: I was able to find an old VGA cable in the garage though.

It's a PC I wouldn't mind for myself (I'm running a ~2009 i5 FFS), he just wound up overpaying pretty badly on it based on the model # and a lack of information given by the seller. :sigh: Got a Samsung SSD ordered for it too, it'll be waiting for me to install when I get back from my short vacay.

Hopefully he'll learn from this that it's not worth the $200 or whatever he saved by not just going to MicroCenter and buying whatever HP i7 is sitting on the shelf. For standard home stuff, it's totally worth the lack of aggravation. Just boot it so Microsoft registers the license, then wipe it with a Win10 clean install. Or just uninstall all the crap that comes with it. Did that for my mother in law, but before 10 was out. She's using 8, and I'm loathe to upgrade it because old-ish person that has a rocky relationship with technology.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah uh... that part where he paid cash? Owner said he couldn't give a receipt if he paid cash, as they both knew paying cash would avoid taxes.

Also, he paid cash to avoid paying tax, so the shop owner can tell him to gently caress off, as he has no proof it came from him. And despite all this, stepdad still feels like the owner is an "honest guy". It's a lot easier to just let it go instead of trying to get him to change his mind. We discussed returning it, he'd rather just chalk it up to an expensive lesson (... and still wants to go buy RAM from him :argh:).

He probably overpaid by about $100-150, if ebay is to be trusted. 95% of the listings I could find are for the i5 version though, I only found one with the i7. It'd still cost more to build a current gen i7, if I went with a 7700 (which is the closest thing in the current i7 lineup to what he has), and it still beats the poo poo out of my own PC. A somewhat recent i5 with a SSD would have served his needs just as well IMO, but he had to have an i7 once he found out it existed.

Whelp, so much for that "learning" part above.

DesperateDan posted:

Doc Martens is a trademark that got bought out- the original manufacturers still operate under the name Solovair, from what I have heard the "new" doc martens branded shoes aren't nearly as good quality as the old ones.

Another option for cheap smart shoes can be hitting up military surplus places, cheap leather dress shoes and sometimes they are even halfway comfy.

I absolutely hate this trend of poo poo companies buying formerly-good brand names and smearing poo poo all over them. Especially electronics. Do you know how hard it is convincing my mom that names that were good stuff in her day are just fronts for Chinese garbage now? AvE calls them "zombie brands", I believe. Like Porter-Cable.

I really do like my P71. It's my old man mobile couch, with a bit of sport. Though I don't do burnouts often. Tires are expensive. Those happened to be the outgoing, worn set that came with the wheels.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

hi

What's the book of the month?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Adiabatic posted:

hi

If you'll take suggestions from anyone and not just fridge corn, here's the book I've been reading for the last week and really enjoying:
The Free by Willy Vlautin

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

hi

Oh poo poo that's a good question. I haven't been reading a lot to be honest, ever since making the mistake of trying to read The Count of Monte Cristo and getting half way through it before being put off from reading altogether from it

But how about some non-fiction for a change? Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist by Kate Raworth is a good read to wrap some brain muscles around

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

also have i told everybody itt to read Lincoln in the Bardo yet? easily one of the best books i read last year

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

Oh poo poo that's a good question. I haven't been reading a lot to be honest, ever since making the mistake of trying to read The Count of Monte Cristo and getting half way through it before being put off from reading altogether from it

But how about some non-fiction for a change? Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist by Kate Raworth is a good read to wrap some brain muscles around

On a sort of related topic I read All the Devils Are Here: The Hidden History of the Financial Crisis several years ago if you want to be angry as hell.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tomarse posted:

Last night there was a heavy storm with strong winds across most of the UK. It was so noisy that it woke me up in the night and I had to put ear plugs in to get back to sleep.

Top subject on my local area facebook group from someone who apparently lives around 200metres away from me:

:ughh:

Yup. This is my old community's FB page after every storm.
That and people complaining about dog poop. Also, the people dumping the dog waste station contents all over the neighborhood after being called out for not using the dog waste stations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My favorite community post so far was the old lady who sent an emergency alert because she needed some shirts embroidered for Christmas.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

fridge corn posted:

also have i told everybody itt to read Lincoln in the Bardo yet? easily one of the best books i read last year

Holy poo poo this sounds awesome. I have it ordered.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

fridge corn posted:

Don't know what this is but my library has two copies that are both checked out so i put a hold request on it. Thanks corn man.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

2017 was loving stupid and 2018 hasn't been that much better of a start.

I'm out in Chandler and don't really need any of that stuff but if you need a hand with anything let me know. Been in that position before and it sucks but it will get better.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Darchangel posted:

Hopefully he'll learn from this that it's not worth the $200 or whatever he saved by not just going to MicroCenter and buying whatever HP i7 is sitting on the shelf. For standard home stuff, it's totally worth the lack of aggravation. Just boot it so Microsoft registers the license, then wipe it with a Win10 clean install. Or just uninstall all the crap that comes with it.

I will argue this until I expire. Find a good local shop (they exist, I used to manage one). Yes, you will pay a bit more than off-the-shelf walmart, but a good place builds with quality OEM parts. You know how Apple people are all like "MY MAC IS 10 YEARS OLD AND STILL WORKS LOL YOUR WINDOWS PCS LAST A YEAR" - that's because people buy poo poo-tier quality pre-built crap. If you step up to the business-class builds, sure, usually solid. But the extra little bit spent on a baseline system from a quality independent gets you a system that's easy to replace parts for - nothings proprietary. Decent power supplies lead to systems lasting a lot longer. There is a staggering quality difference for a not-overly-large price difference. Warranties are usually way better as well. Our stuff was one year full, and then after that, if the part still had warranty (say for example the motherboard - ASUS boards have 3-year MFG warranties) we'd do the work for labor cost and handle that warranty claim.

And you don't need to wipe Windows/reinstall/waste hours removing bullshit crap.

Albeit in this specific case almost anything sounds like it would have been better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Step 1: Buy a Dell Precision or HP Elitebook/Workstation off CL
Step 2: Install Fresh Windows.
Step 3: Why are we still talking about this?

But since we are, I've been buying gimmicky Ultra Mobile PCs lately, have a few:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-GPD...eywords=GPD+Win
https://www.amazon.com/LANRUO-Pocke...-4&keywords=GPD
https://www.amazon.com/NuVision-Tou...ndows+10+tablet

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Those are definitely... something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

Those are definitely... something.

They are actually pretty neat. I wanted something like a tablet, but with full Windows so I could run Network Diagnostics tools. I bought the $79 one and I've been thoroughly impressed, not a powerhouse by any standard, but puts any netbooks I've ever used to shame.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Did anyone else have the Nokia netbook? That thing was the tits. I would have kept it forever if I could have upgraded the RAM. The little tiny laptops linked reminded me of it.

Also alcohol chat: I took three weeks off during a recent crisis and wow did I feel amazing. But the brown nectar soon came calling again.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Cage posted:

Don't know what this is but my library has two copies that are both checked out so i put a hold request on it. Thanks corn man.

It's a goddamn masterpiece is what it is

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

I'll have to look at my machines if you really need to know - they were all upgraded from an OEM copy of Win7, but as far as I can tell, there's no difference any more between OEM and non-OEM licensing. With Win7, you had to have OEM media if you used an OEM key. That doesn't appear to be the case with 10, which is refreshing. I could be wrong - I've never installed 10 fresh with an individual license key, just upgrades from 7 and 8.

If it had an upgrade done via the official path, then reinstalling 10 on it won't require a key. UEFI machines store it on the board, and it should pick up on the old Windows 8 key. But I did notice this was installed in Legacy mode instead of UEFI, so I'll probably do a reinstall when the SSD arrives. If it wasn't upgraded to 10 via the official "gently caress you, download Windows 10" popup in 8.1, meh, I have a key I'm not using.

And yeah, don't need OEM media for an OEM key. Microsoft even offers tools to make bootable media and an ISO from their website now... no more searching sketchy :filez: sites to find a working ISO.

He did ask about an HP i7 at Micro Center, but I'm not a fan of HP consumer level stuff - it was pretty much an entry level i7 for quite a bit more - it was also open box, so probably no warranty. At least the Lenovo has a standard case and relatively standard components (oddball motherboard, but it looks like any micro ATX board will drop in). Maybe the HP would have been a better deal though. :sigh:

cakesmith handyman posted:

So did he overpay for the claimed or actual spec? Seeing as he's down a pile of ram and a high end-ish video card (don't know, not an expert) that sounds like a lot more than $150.

Actual spec. And the video card was mid level when it came out, it's not great compared to current stuff. If it had everything it was supposed to have, he would have overpaid a little bit, but not much.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 18, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I'll be making a larger effortpost about this in my own thread, but 2018 is off to a fantastic start, since I'm finally getting to realize one of my long time dreams: Moving out of Florida!

I've been wanting to move out since I turned 18, but the but due to school, training, and my own laziness the opportunity has never really presented itself. But now, it has. And I'll be moving to Las Vegas.

About a year ago a buddy of mine bought a house out there, and has been renovating it. He said I could come live there with him for a bit, while save up some cash out there. It's pretty hard to turn that down. I mean, Nevada isn't really where I want to live, but at least it's a stepping stone to one of the other states out there. Put my 2 weeks in, gave my landlord notice, and been trying to get rid of stuff I don't need. (And good lord do I have more stuff than I recall). And right now I'm stuck in this weird mode of being excited, panicking, happy and anxious all at once.

I mean, I'm super excited to head out there, and I know it's going to be better than staying here, but on the other hand, leaving everything behind, quitting a job I'm kinda liked, or at least was neutral on, has certainly been an experience. But, there's a lot to look forwards to out there, I've got a better job lined up, and the mountains and desert to play in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nevada is a lot closer to Nebraska.

So that's a little funny.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
WHAT ABOUT THE TRUKK

efb

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

We've got top men working on it right now.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

ExplodingSims posted:

Sometimes you need bottom men too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Vegas is hot. I prefer Reno, just to avoid the desert and summer heat and stupid traffic bullshit.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

ilkhan posted:

Vegas is hot. I prefer Reno, just to avoid the desert and summer heat and stupid traffic bullshit.

Like I said, it's not somewhere I want to spend the rest of my life, but hey, a year of rent-free living in a house that I'll basically have to myself? Kinda hard to turn that down.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

TOP. MEN.

Also, desert life owns.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
There is tons of good places to go wheelin too. spouse and I are considering going back for that reason.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That's what I'm very much looking forwards to, a place where actual offroading can be done, not just....muddin'. Ugh.

Finally an excuse to get something with 4x4!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My face smells like grilled cheese and I'm not entirely sure why or at what point today that happened.

I'm both horrified and delighted all at the same time.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

This is right behind redrock for instance. It's probably different now as this photo is a few years old and every rain season the terrain changes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's going to be 42c (107.6F) today and the air conditioner at work is making GBS threads itself

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

anyone happen to have saved my old avatar for reasons

someone is a real funny guy

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Doesn’t that just poo poo you... been saving up for a while to upgrade the graphics card in my pc (currently it’s an i7 2600k that I won the silicone lottery on cos it happily sits on 4.2ghz all day every day with a gtx 770 in it- in 3Dmark it gets pretty much 50% of the performance of my mates brand new rizen 5 build with a 1070 in it) and wanted to drop a 1080 in only to find out that the crypto currency tards have caused a global shortage of high end graphics cards. 1080s, which were already overpriced in AU vs the US went from $800 to $1800 overnight and then out of stock.

Guess I’ll go sink the graphics card money into something on the 4wd instead and wait for the arse to fall out of buttcoin and etherium....

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

anyone happen to have saved my old avatar for reasons

someone is a real funny guy
I kinda like it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Doesn’t that just poo poo you... been saving up for a while to upgrade the graphics card in my pc (currently it’s an i7 2600k that I won the silicone lottery on cos it happily sits on 4.2ghz all day every day with a gtx 770 in it- in 3Dmark it gets pretty much 50% of the performance of my mates brand new rizen 5 build with a 1070 in it) and wanted to drop a 1080 in only to find out that the crypto currency tards have caused a global shortage of high end graphics cards. 1080s, which were already overpriced in AU vs the US went from $800 to $1800 overnight and then out of stock.

Guess I’ll go sink the graphics card money into something on the 4wd instead and wait for the arse to fall out of buttcoin and etherium....

how does having someone ship you a bideo shames card work? like i assume you just pay the taxes on $800 plus the shipping to buy it from here eh?

Cage posted:

I kinda like it.

it would be better if it wasnt so goddamn artifacted. i have a feeling that they're going to change it later in the month too so i spend $10 on it

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

Finally an excuse to convert the Trukk to 4x4!

Do it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You Am I posted:

It's going to be 42c (107.6F) today and the air conditioner at work is making GBS threads itself

Enjoy! We’re on day 3 of 40+ here in Adelaide and then on the weekend it’s only dropping to 30ish...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

how does having someone ship you a bideo shames card work? like i assume you just pay the taxes on $800 plus the shipping to buy it from here eh?

As long as it’s under $1k of value there’s no import taxes on it, once you go over that cut off you have to pay 10% goods and services tax on it.

Shipping to AU is horrific tho, last time I looked I think the shipping of a graphics card was something stupid like $80 Australian...

How’s this for absolutely stupid pricing...

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100203018%20601201888%2050001402%20601204369

Vs the same thing on the US site

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%20601201888%20601204369%2050001402

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
GPUs are getting slaughtered by Bitcoin miners. I cannot wait until that Ponzi scheme crashes.

• Locked thread