Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
God I’d love it if they did some shorts next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I just want them to have more than two weeks to shoot everything for season 12.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, I think having a chance to breathe and ending some sketches on a low-key note rather than panicked movie sign are my two main wishlist improvements for a new season.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, I think having a chance to breathe and ending some sketches on a low-key note rather than panicked movie sign are my two main wishlist improvements for a new season.

That last one is easy enough to fix; they just need to put more of the "commercial breaks" at the ends of host segments.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

TL posted:

My least favorite is probably Beast of Hollow Mountain, but even there, the last fifteen minutes are uproariously funny. The reaction I’ve seen online has been mostly positive, if they’re a MSTie I think they’ll enjoy it.

Even with Beast of Hollow Mountain, I'd say (and have said) that it had, for my money, the best host segment of the season with Tom and Crow donning the masks and doing the dance to Kinga and TV's Son of TV's Frank's distress.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

DivisionPost posted:

Even with Beast of Hollow Mountain, I'd say (and have said) that it had, for my money, the best host segment of the season with Tom and Crow donning the masks and doing the dance to Kinga and TV's Son of TV's Frank's distress.

I completely agree. Patton’s crazed “WHO MUST WE KILL TO SLAKE THY ANGER?” is one of the classic host segment lines of all time.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

VolticSurge posted:

So, as someone who hasn't seen Season 11 yet, I'm tempted to pre-order it. On the one hand, all of my co-workers (at least the ones who have Netflix) have said it's a good fun laugh. But on the other hand, this video implies Season 11 is the worst season. Any tips from Goons who have seen Season 11?

I know a few people saw the first episode of season 11 and were really disappointed. Someone said on Twitter that they wasted the new host segments because they could have been "Jonah moving into the SOL and getting to know the bots" but it starts a few months after moving in and it focused on the movie instead of the slice of life on the ship. They went on to say that they didn't even finish the first episode and said that MST3K is dead. I'm pretty sure that the creator of that video is friends with these people, and I'm not sure he's even seen season 11 in its entirety.

I, however, loved it. Yes, Reptilicus is a bit of a culture shock to people expecting Rifftrax, due to the volume of and frequency of jokes, but it does settle in as it goes on.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I really loved Beast of Hollow Mountain and it made me hope they do more westerns.

It's a schocky genre that seems very underrepresented out of the 200+ movies they've done.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I find I have a strange affection for Avalanche. Something about that 70's aesthetic and the absurd ways that the character's find to die really did it for me. It also seems so convinced that if they spend enough time with them, that you will grow to like all of these banal characters.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Cry Wilderness could pretty much carry this season by it’s self. I really feel its that good of a episode. Carnival Magic, Hercules, Hollow Mountain, Wizards 1 are all “good” episodes as well. Avalanche is also a personal favorite just because I love trashy disaster stuff.

Sure, there are issues I could have with this season that everyone has brought up already. That said, I really think this is a great start to a new chapter of MST3K.

It’s well worth the watch.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
And just for the record? Rebecca Hanson was a discovery. No matter what you think about the rest of it, having Gypsy get a killer line in when she's dropping off / picking up The Payload was one of Season 11's best advancements; "Now you're MISTER Filing Cabinet" was just an outstanding riff that really set the tone for her.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
No one mentions Starcrash which is somehow my favorite.

Just that bizarre mix up of Star Wars and Flash Gordon.

Plus the whole Deus ex machina time stopping.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

And just for the record? Rebecca Hanson was a discovery. No matter what you think about the rest of it, having Gypsy get a killer line in when she's dropping off / picking up The Payload was one of Season 11's best advancements; "Now you're MISTER Filing Cabinet" was just an outstanding riff that really set the tone for her.

Yeah, one thing I really disagree with is the "Bring back the old Gypsy!" crowd. It's nice to have a fourth voice in the theater for a couple of riffs. I don't feel like she has a lot to work with as the clone, but maybe they'll do some more with that next season.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Mokinokaro posted:

No one mentions Starcrash which is somehow my favorite.

Just that bizarre mix up of Star Wars and Flash Gordon.

Plus the whole Deus ex machina time stopping.

Starcrash was one of the highlights of the season for me. Incredibly goofy, great riffing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, I know the Mark Hammill cameo is just him doing the Joker voice in a wacky outfit in front of some green screen on a different day from everyone else, but P. T. Mindslap is totally my kind of humor, and it was a great host segment.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I think my favorite was The Land that Time Forgot. It just felt the most "classic MST3K" to me, and the cast really had their pacing and deliveries down. I might be alone on that however, as it seems pretty overlooked by most. :shrug:

Cry Wilderness is also great, if only for the insanity of the entire thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Alehkhs posted:

I think my favorite was The Land that Time Forgot. It just felt the most "classic MST3K" to me, and the cast really had their pacing and deliveries down. I might be alone on that however, as it seems pretty overlooked by most. :shrug:

That movie is one of the rare ones that'd be fairly enjoyable without the riffs/odd cuts they did for length.

It's just the fun adventure schlock of the era.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There are some problems, but 11 has some of my favorite episodes. Having modern references honestly makes it more immediately funny to me.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I took a bit for me to warm up to Baron as Servo, though I got there in the end. Hampton had Crow down pat from the beginning, though, which made the transition a lot easier for me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hampton's Crow only got better too. By the time he was doing the live show, he really had it down.

I think Baron is fine, his Servo is just different from Kevin's, which anybody was going to be. He likes to sing just as much and has the pretentiousness down, it's just kind of a different flavor.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I really feel the cast got the “same but different” vibe down perfectly. They felt appropriate for their characters given their history but also brought something new to the table with each.

It was really smart casting.

Patton Oswalt was born to play TV’s son of TV’s Frank.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 18, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah say what you like about anything else Oswalt has done, you gotta admit he is pitch-perfect as Son of Frank

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Felicia Day has all the Forrester awkwardness and sadism too, it's like the part she was born to play.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's probably the best she's been in a role since season 1 of The Guild

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'd love to see Pearl, Clayton and Kinga together in a scene, just to see what the heck that looks like.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I've enjoyed the whole season, but The Christmas That Almost Wasn't feels like the "Robot Monster" of the new series, at least to me. No slight on the other eps, but it feels like them hitting their stride.

"Every Country Has A Monster" was definitely where they won me over, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I'd love to see Pearl, Clayton and Kinga together in a scene, just to see what the heck that looks like.

Do a bit with Clayton being the stern dad giving Jonah 'The Talk' ("Now, young man, what are my daughter's intentions with you?") while Kinga squirms and then Pearl berates him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know she's primarily a writer so it's likely her own choice but I would love to see Mary Jo in more movies or shows

Cast her as one of Sabrina's aunts in the new Teenage Witch show

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It isn't the best riff ever, or even a particularly good one really, but I completely lose it at the USA chant when the chimp is pouring the orange juice in Carnival Magic.

Also, Yongary tickled me right where I like to be tickled: insane Japanese or Korean giant monster movies where a kid is inexplicably involved in a national catastrophe.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

It isn't the best riff ever, or even a particularly good one really, but I completely lose it at the USA chant when the chimp is pouring the orange juice in Carnival Magic.

Also, Yongary tickled me right where I like to be tickled: insane Japanese or Korean giant monster movies where a kid is inexplicably involved in a national catastrophe.

The scene where Yongary bleeds out for like 10 minutes is so inexplicably crazy.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Sash! posted:

That's one of the best moments in Carnival Magic for me too. A chimp pouring orange juice that's "all cloudy like it's got medicine in it" into a dirty glass in a dismal trailer being presented as an inspiring, miraculous moment is just so perfectly ludicrous.

The riffing for Carnival Magic is so pitch-perfect I didn't even find myself wondering if it might have been done better with the old cast. As much as I liked the new season, that was an unfortunate recurring thought I had throughout most of the episodes (especially Cry Wilderness).

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 19, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

It'd be really great. I don't think Trace would agree to do it, though, not because he has any animosity toward Joel or the new season or anything; he just seems to be trying to do his own thing, like Mike.

Having all three of the hosts do one round of riffs is the real dream, but besides that Mike is unlikely to come back, Joel is unlikely to sit in the theater (he seems to enjoy having passed the torch and being behind the scenes).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I dunno; I think more of the cast would have shown up for an on-screen reunion if they hadn't had scheduling conflicts with the one day season 11 had to film all the host segments.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TL posted:

I completely agree. Patton’s crazed “WHO MUST WE KILL TO SLAKE THY ANGER?” is one of the classic host segment lines of all time.

It's Kinga's confused, "Is this that Hamilton thing?" that gets me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'd like it if it was revealed both Joel and Mike are working at the same hot fish sandwich shop

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

VolticSurge posted:

So, as someone who hasn't seen Season 11 yet, I'm tempted to pre-order it. On the one hand, all of my co-workers (at least the ones who have Netflix) have said it's a good fun laugh. But on the other hand, this video implies Season 11 is the worst season. Any tips from Goons who have seen Season 11?

You're actually worried because the entire season was casually dismissed by a person who obsessively critiques other critiques of actual creative content?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
people getting mad about CinemaSins is the funniest poo poo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I dunno; I think more of the cast would have shown up for an on-screen reunion if they hadn't had scheduling conflicts with the one day season 11 had to film all the host segments.

Everyone is definitely still willing to work together seeing as they all showed up for the Rifftrax MST3K reunion special.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And Frank and Trace showed up on this RiffTrax with Mike, Kevin, and Bill. And Mary Jo and Bridgit.

https://www.rifftrax.com/batman-v-superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

people getting mad about CinemaSins is the funniest poo poo

There’s loving plenty to get mad at.