Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PostNouveau posted:

If Odo is just one big shaped mass of homogenous liquid, are the eyes just for show? If he can see out the eyes, he should be able to see out of every other inch of him too.
Even his butt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I like DS9's choice to have the greatest baseball player the world has ever known be a short tubby dude.

Nessus posted:

Even his butt?

Yeah and the soles of his feet.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

Even his butt?

They say the butt is the window to the soul.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

I like DS9's choice to have the greatest baseball player the world has ever known be a short tubby dude.

Probably an augment

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nessus posted:

Even his butt?

Especially his butt.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Hell yeah, it's the hard-hitting moral and ethical questions I expect from Star Trek discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/7r9nvr/what_happened_when_spocks_giant_clone_went/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bigger Spock Theory

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PostNouveau posted:

By 2042 all players will be beefy lads, a legacy begun by the human named Schwarby.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PostNouveau posted:

Fun fact: That's Greg Jein, who was basically the primary model and prop maker for Star Trek for decades.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gotta get swole.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Fun fact: That's Greg Jein, who was basically the primary model and prop maker for Star Trek for decades.

Oh, it's always fun when a non-actor blends in. He even had a bunch to do too, had the big speech at the end explaining everything.

Like, blends in as an actor. He still doesn't look like a baseball player.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Like, blends in as an actor. He still doesn't look like a baseball player.

He's essentially the same build as Babe Ruth.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He looks like what a baseball player should look like, not no ath-o-leet.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

thexerox123 posted:

He's essentially the same build as Babe Ruth.

That actually might make sense because Babe Ruth played back when the white dudes didn't have to play the black guys and every other competitor was smoking and drinking nonstop.

And Buck Bokai played when no one gave a poo poo about baseball to the point the World Series was attended by 300 people, so the sport was probably semi-pro at best.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MillennialVulcan posted:

Hell yeah, it's the hard-hitting moral and ethical questions I expect from Star Trek discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/7r9nvr/what_happened_when_spocks_giant_clone_went/

This is awesome. I am so glad TAS is now fully canon

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I think you might be misremembering that a bit, I think they got an actor for the episode the character actually shows up in, but on the actual prop card it was Jein from the start

Of course I'm old and could be wrong

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

That actually might make sense because Babe Ruth played back when the white dudes didn't have to play the black guys and every other competitor was smoking and drinking nonstop.

And Buck Bokai played when no one gave a poo poo about baseball to the point the World Series was attended by 300 people, so the sport was probably semi-pro at best.

This is Star Trek people he's probably the half alien genetic clone of a major character stranded in the past.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

PostNouveau posted:

The London Kings are actually based in London, Ontario.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McSpanky posted:

He looks like what a baseball player should look like, not no ath-o-leet.

He's exactly what an old scout thinks a hitter should look like, anyway.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ha, watching TOS... I didn't know that gif of McCoy and Kirk nodding at each other was preceded by McCoy shouting "Shut up, Spock, we're rescuing you!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Man, I'd love something with at least the production values of STD but set in the 40k universe.

Well, we got Event Horizon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PostNouveau posted:

They make a point to say he was at least DiMaggio quality on several occasions, breaking several of his records.

I wonder if any reddit supernerds have figured out his WAR and OPS, that would really settle this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Baronjutter posted:

Woah, yeah, very true.
Man, I'd love something with at least the production values of STD but set in the 40k universe. Imagine a 40k version of star trek. Just give me a 6 episode mini-series I don't care so long as the gothic grimdark is set to 11 and the whole thing is secretly hilarious.

Some fan is taking the audio book for Helsreach, one of the better 40k books, and using the voices for an animated movie. He's done 9 parts so far, and poo poo hasn't even hit the fan yet. It's a great job for one person, although some won't like the After Effects hand-drawn filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D4jr-0_COg

Or Lord Inquisitor for more traditional CGI. It's absolutely gorgeous and a true representation of Holy Terra, even if Inquisitor Markus is a smarmy little gently caress with a punchable face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4

The video game trailers are high quality and very imaginative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AoeIPqvNFI&t=675s

e. No, start there.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 19, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cingulate posted:

Aren't they all like that, with the exception of the Tau dudes? Isn't that what makes it grim dark - that all the races are just fighting for survival? The orcs and elder aren't progressing either.

Some of the recent writers have added grimdark secret eugenics to the Tau because they were presumably offended by their lack of grimdark.

They kinda missed the point that the dark thing about the Tau is that they probably won't last long because a decent free civilisation with justice and due process is fundamentally incapable of dealing with the constant demonic poo poo that'll be flung their way and soon enough they'll fall to it, just because of the way the 40k universe is set up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They make a point to say he was at least DiMaggio quality on several occasions, breaking several of his records.

I wonder if any reddit supernerds have figured out his WAR and OPS, that would really settle this.

Easier to break hitting records if the pitchers/defense are garbage.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

... and the shape of an L on his forehead....

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Ok guys. Last season of TNG. Here we go!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mllaneza posted:

Some fan is taking the audio book for Helsreach, one of the better 40k books, and using the voices for an animated movie. He's done 9 parts so far, and poo poo hasn't even hit the fan yet. It's a great job for one person, although some won't like the After Effects hand-drawn filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D4jr-0_COg

Or Lord Inquisitor for more traditional CGI. It's absolutely gorgeous and a true representation of Holy Terra, even if Inquisitor Markus is a smarmy little gently caress with a punchable face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4

The video game trailers are high quality and very imaginative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AoeIPqvNFI&t=675s

e. No, start there.

I've never seen that animated audio book stuff or felt nerdy enough to actually ready any 40k fiction but this is pretty ok.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

40K is lacking in accessible, high-quality media to the point that a guy doing a stylized B&W fan book adaptation is by far the strongest intro to the universe there's ever been outside of a 90-second game trailer. Leave GW to their own devices and you get nearly-unwatchable dreck like the Ultramarines movie, and mostly nothing at all.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

When they released an early trailer for ultramarines I left an honest comment on their forums that it was great how they were paying tribute to the tabletop setting by making all the space marines look like tiny little figurines. It got deleted lol.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baseball is the only sport where you can and often do eat while playing, so it all works.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

dont even fink about it posted:

40K is lacking in accessible, high-quality media to the point that a guy doing a stylized B&W fan book adaptation is by far the strongest intro to the universe there's ever been outside of a 90-second game trailer. Leave GW to their own devices and you get nearly-unwatchable dreck like the Ultramarines movie, and mostly nothing at all.

Yeah I can't understand how that brand couldn't secure/spend the money for a high quality animated feature or a short series. The stuff animators have done in their spare time and put on YouTube is better than 99% of their official media including books.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is amazing how they have never done a cartoon or something, but I guess when you're selling little plastic mans at a literal 3000% profit you don't need to do much else.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'd love to see a swoll Vulcan on the lower-end of the Vulcan intelligence curve. Intensely logical still, but limited range of available understanding.

"That's not logical."
"That's a carrot, T'Donnie."

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Tell me about logic, t'george

JBP posted:

Yeah I can't understand how that brand couldn't secure/spend the money for a high quality animated feature or a short series. The stuff animators have done in their spare time and put on YouTube is better than 99% of their official media including books.

Because games workshop literally believes than their fans are actually only interested in plastic figurines and the painting and collection thereof, and that everything else is a distraction that might hurt the sales of said overpriced plastic

http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/richard-beddard/games-workshop-agm%3A-relentless-profit-machine

I wish I was joking, too. Whfb and 40k could habe been huge media empires in the hands of someone who gave a poo poo

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Bohemian Nights posted:

Tell me about logic, t'george

Because games workshop literally believes than their fans are actually only interested in plastic figurines and the painting and collection thereof, and that everything else is a distraction that might hurt the sales of said overpriced plastic

http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/richard-beddard/games-workshop-agm%3A-relentless-profit-machine

I wish I was joking, too. Whfb and 40k could habe been huge media empires in the hands of someone who gave a poo poo

The guy responsible for that business model has been fired and GW has REALLY turned around as a company.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

VanSandman posted:

The guy responsible for that business model has been fired and GW has REALLY turned around as a company.

I am admittedly out of the loop but if that's the case, good for gw and good for its fans!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've only noticed the video game push they've made in the last few years so I don't know if they've been taking this approach elsewhere but they've been handing out a license to a large part or even just smaller parts of their larger properties to almost anyone, counting on people just forgetting about the bad results, and embracing the good results.

I've only ever been a casual 40K fan at most (Vermintide is really the only Fantasy game I've played of their for some time now) but it seems like its worked? At least on me anyways. I could name a fair number of the good 40K games that have come recently and have my eye on a couple upcoming ones but I think the only truly "bad" game I could name was the really big bad one that was in development long before GW took to their new approach, Eternal Crusade. That thing started development under THQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I played dawn of war and the setting is cool imo. Space marines are by far the dullest part (that I remember at least) and shouldn't be the face of the product.