Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Tomb Raider looks a bit video gamey.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

teagone posted:

I like it. I'm in. I wonder if the Asian guy supposed to be the genderbent version of Sam from TR2013 and Lara ends up saving him at the end.

Per Wiki, Sam has been renamed Sophie? Asian guy seems like he's either a combination of Roth/the ship captain or Jonah.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'll watch it. Not in the theater, but I'll almost definitely rent it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Found myself smiling by the end despite myself.

I mean that's really the whole first movie. And Beerfest frankly. Laughing even though I should know better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
TheChive would have the Super Troopers 2 trailer, wouldn't it.

Awful.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I feel like I've seen this movie at least 20 times before.
They should have leaned harder on the survival aspect of the reboot's story and not gone with an earth threatening problem to solve.

Looks like straight to DVD crap, I really can't believe Walton Goggins is in it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Deakul posted:

I feel like I've seen this movie at least 20 times before.
They should have leaned harder on the survival aspect of the reboot's story and not gone with an earth threatening problem to solve.

Looks like straight to DVD crap, I really can't believe Walton Goggins is in it.

An organization looking to start a global genocide :911:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Whenever a movie has an apocalyptic threat i immediately tune out. Marvel movies are really bad about this. Films can have stakes much more meaningful than 'end of the world', particularly ones personal to the characters and/or audience.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The only characters allowed to have "blow up the world" as their motivation are bishounen JRPG antagonists with mommy issues. And even that's a stretch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The movie adaptation should have just focused on the game narrative's transformation of one posh archaeology grad into history's greatest killing machine the second she picks up a compound bow.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'll be disappointed if the line "She's got a grenade launcher!" isn't spoken with fear and panic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That's not far off the plot of the original game, mind you. It starts out as "find these artifacts" and you run away from a dinosaur, next thing you know there's a corporation headed by survivors of Atlantis trying to take over the world with an ancient super weapon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tom Raider's all just old pulp adventure stuff updated for (originally) the 90s, so of course it gets a bit silly. Lara Croft is a female Doc Savage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Tom Raider's all just old pulp adventure stuff updated for (originally) the 90s, so of course it gets a bit silly. Lara Croft is a female Doc Savage.

Lara Croft is just a female Tom Raider.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Y'know, thinking about Doc Savage, there is someone who hews pretty close to that nowadays and it's Dominic Toretto and his crew in Fast Five and beyond. Which funnily enough obviously has The Rock in it, who is supposed to be Doc Savage because of his size, but there's more to Doc than just being a tall buff dude.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Unless she has big, pixelated tits she's Not My Tomb Raider.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I'll be disappointed if the line "She's got a grenade launcher!" isn't spoken with fear and panic.

And that's not even the best part of that scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiBPCoZmFlQ

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'd get day drunk with my friends and see a Super Troopers 2 matinee.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alhazred posted:

And that's not even the best part of that scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiBPCoZmFlQ

MeToo, TimesUp

GameSucked

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, yeah, but the new Tomb Raider does not have a character.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cMyvYLPoR0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Um yes please

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj-skgdrZ5g

Some context for this one, from the co-writer of The Lobster

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/pity-trailer-sundance-dark-comedy-1201915948/

quote:

The story is simple, following a nameless everyman, played by comedian Yannis Drakopoulos, who revels in unhappiness, lives for being sad, and relishes being, well, pitied. His life is made all the better — worse? — when his wife falls into a coma, a terrible situation that comes complete with plenty of sadness and whole heaps of pity. It’s kind of ideal. But can it possibly last?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I'm down for literally anything McBride. The second season of Vice Principals is a legit masterpiece.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's more than one movie about tomb raiding this year. This one has Kellan Lutz, Li Bingbing, and Kelsey Grammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcvI6vQaqoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nFGrcB2huU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

...did they really have to pick an actress who looks like a teenager for Lara Craft?

What the hell, man.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

viral spiral posted:

...did they really have to pick an actress who looks like a teenager for Lara Craft?

What the hell, man.

She's supposed to be younger in this movie.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The MSJ posted:

She's supposed to be younger in this movie.

Yeah if it's like the game it's essentially an early 20s origin story.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

[

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Isn’t Lara pretty young in the 2013 TR? I’d say that looks about right for that character’s age

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

viral spiral posted:

What the hell, man.

Why, of all things, would this bother you?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

viral spiral posted:

What the hell, man.

Jeez what a bizarre comment. Yeah she is meant to be young because its an origin story. Also she is 29 years old and does not look like a teenager. what the hell

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Why, of all things, would this bother you?

Because she looks like a child in the face. It's just such a bizarre difference of appearance from Angelina Jolie as Tomb Raider.

Wandle Cax posted:

Jeez what a bizarre comment. Yeah she is meant to be young because its an origin story. Also she is 29 years old and does not look like a teenager. what the hell

The fact that she's 29 is unbelievable to me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

viral spiral posted:

Because she looks like a child in the face. It's just such a bizarre difference of appearance from Angelina Jolie as Tomb Raider.

Didn't look much like a child to me in Ex Machina. Which is good because she did full frontal nudity in that one.

Also she's married to Michael Fassbender.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

viral spiral posted:

Dang, what kind of rough-rear end hood do you live in where this lady looks like a teenager?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Dillbag posted:

Dang, what kind of rough-rear end hood do you live in where this lady looks like a teenager?

I see you're good at Google Image Search. I was specifically referring to how she looks in this new Tomb Raider trailer.

And yes, she does look like a child compared to Jolie as Lara Croft.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

viral spiral posted:

They both look like adults, it's that one is more conventionally feminine/more explicitly objectified. New Raider looks pedestrian at best, but it's clear they're not going for voluptuous ultra-vixen/Bond lady with this incarnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

viral spiral posted:

They both look like adults as Lara. You're weird.

• Locked thread