Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Steve2911 posted:

In the world of Unlimited cards that's not too surprising. What I don't get is people who pay to turn up to a random film then leave half way through because they don't like it.

My local teather chain had some sort of festival like a decade ago, so I went to watch a movie I did not know anything about it, I left 20 minutes later because it was absolute Asylum garbage. Something about dinosaurs and hunters and time travel. I swear it wasn't even a "it's bad but entertaining" movie, it was "gently caress this is terrible what the hell, and thank god teather tickets are super cheap on my country gently caress this poo poo" movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

When were you born? This has often been a generational difference in my experience.

I'm guessing that's a factor, yeah—'86. Then again, it was only after Hitchcock pushed for it that it became strange to walk into a movie at a random time so every generation could probably judge the previous generation for something.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

I'm guessing that's a factor, yeah—'86. Then again, it was only after Hitchcock pushed for it that it became strange to walk into a movie at a random time so every generation could probably judge the previous generation for something.

I was born in '85 and I don't do that. I grew up without television though, so that is probably why.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ALFbrot posted:

I've seen a movie blind, so I'm actually on your side, I just thought it was a funny conversation.

(Some friends asked me if I wanted to go to a movie a long time ago, and I said sure, and we went to a showing of The Bourne Identity, which I'd managed to never even hear of)

Im sorry. :canada:

Here, Italian superhero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8nHHmSiKzM

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWku5rgaJWM
Man Jonah Hill is unrecognizable in this :stare:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I have a book of John Callahan cartoons, they're edgy as heck.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Udo Kier :love:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

I just can't understand valuing my time so little. "Huh, there's only lovely movies here. Guess I'll have to spend 2 hours of my life watching something that looks bad."

If you "valued your time" you wouldn't be at the movies.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Yes if you value your time you should be watching four movies at home simultaneously with a feeding tube of nutrient paste down your throat for maximum time saving!!!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just read descriptions of the plot in IMDb. Just as good as watching the movie.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
In retrospect, I obviously fell asleep during every one of the Lord of the Ring films to maximise my simultaneous task performance and entertainment metrics.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you "valued your time" you wouldn't be at the movies.

So if you value your time you don't get any leisure time?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Do you guys remember when some dude said that he watched movies for the first time with Rifftrax playing over them and it was no big deal, he was getting the same experience as if he watched them without the Rifftrax stuff?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

So if you value your time you don't get any leisure time?

I'm not paying myself to sit around!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Do you guys remember when some dude said that he watched movies for the first time with Rifftrax playing over them and it was no big deal, he was getting the same experience as if he watched them without the Rifftrax stuff?

I do not recall him being well received.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just read descriptions of the plot in IMDb. Just as good as watching the movie.

This is actually a thing for an entire swath of young people who've suckled the teats of Google search and Wikipedia since birth. I mean, there's no sense in figuring out the answer for yourself, afterall.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There was a thing about people who are too wuss to watch horror movies but obsessively read the summaries on wikipedia.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Wikipedia used to have scene-by-scene writeups they called synopses, that was pretty cool. The one for the original Texas Chainsaw included Leatherface slamming a metal sliding door.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enqFulGwFYY

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

OPEN THE TUBE

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That trailer doesn't look half bad. The movie, however, will probably end up being somewhere between half and three-quarters bad. But if it's not totally panned I'll probably give it a watch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Trailer played better with me than the previous ones. This has nothing to do with Destiny’s Child Survivor.

Nothing at all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

That trailer doesn't look half bad. The movie, however, will probably end up being somewhere between half and three-quarters bad. But if it's not totally panned I'll probably give it a watch.

It looks like a watered down version of the 2013 game.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Walter Goggins is the only reason imma watch that

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alhazred posted:

It looks like a watered down version of the 2013 game.

Yeah and that game was great so I'm glad they're doing that rather than coming up with another origin story.

I'll probably watch it. Looks ok.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This doesn't make me want to see the movie, but it does hella make me wanna replay TR2013.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This movie looks great, funny they didn't name it Don Draper meets the Beirut Civil War though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amym37HVbkk

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder how graphic the kills are gonna get.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It will only be good if it's just about that idiot getting owned ala The Counselor, but of course it's going to be bullshit about how "actually, the CIA won" in Lebanon.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah and that game was great so I'm glad they're doing that rather than coming up with another origin story.

I'll probably watch it. Looks ok.

It looks like the blandest version you could possibly make out of that game.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

So apprently all it takes is a light jog to be able to jump 20-30 feet.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tomb Raider: It's about family

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There is a Super Troopers 2 trailer dropping this afternoon.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So does the Asian guy die at the end of act 1 to raise the stakes or does he heroically sacrifice himself during the climax?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

That looks way better than the first trailer, which was a tonal mess and tried to be too jokey. lol, this looks tonally identical to the 2013 game, which is kind of wild. Video game movies don't usually attempt to ape the aesthetic of a particular game so closely.
I'm also happy for Walton Goggins being in the phase of his career where he's the main heavy in iffy blockbusters. :allears:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't know anything about Beirut but I do know I'm happy to see Hamm doing something serious again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

So does the Asian guy die at the end of act 1 to raise the stakes or does he heroically sacrifice himself during the climax?

"Death is not an adventure" is certainly one of the lamest lines I've heard in a trailer all year.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I like it. I'm in. I wonder if the Asian guy supposed to be the genderbent version of Sam from TR2013 and Lara ends up saving him at the end.

[edit] I also watched The Wave a little while ago (same director). It was alright.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just finished replaying Rise of the Tomb Raider for the first time since launch the other night and it got me substantially less excited for this movie. Those games just aren't any fun if you play them more than once, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpAo_XvCQaQ

• Locked thread