Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

The Ninth Layer posted:

I ordered the game a while ago for PS4 and am excited to come in relatively fresh to the series. I played about 5 hours of MH4 but struggled with the 3DS camera scheme, looking forward to using a big boy analog stick.

I'm also excited to have a game that I can finally play with my xbone buddies. Still looking for a good co-op group, not a lot of people I know are interested in Monster Hunter.

I have bad news for you if you're expecting cross platform multiplayer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Are there any preorder discounts to be found for this on PS4?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Captain Beans posted:

GMG has it 10% off no tax.

I ordered it cause it seems legit. Just have an email saying I will get a code when it gets "closer" to launch though.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

I have bad news for you if you're expecting cross platform multiplayer...

Oh what? I thought the OP said it's global multiplayer.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

Oh what? I thought the OP said it's global multiplayer.

It's global servers, meaning the US can play with people in Japan and Europe.

Cross platform isn't happening because Sony doesn't want it to.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Captain Beans posted:

Amazon Prime has their standard 20% off all preorders.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tiramisu posted:

Amazon Prime has their standard 20% off all preorders.

Yeah this, GMG has digital code for 10% off, should have clarified.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I’m looking forward to using a comically big sword to kill a weird scary bird, then turn the bird’s foot into an even bigger sword that I’ll use to kill, like, a giant snail or whatever.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, I got a pro.

My PS4 was developing the eject bug, and they had a +$50 special at gamestop anyway, and the controller was a tad old and hoopty, AND they traded in the battlefront pack in game for me, so I got a PS4 Pro for $221 out the door.

Not too shabby.

Ugh, now I have to buy MHW and PS Plus.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 18, 2018

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

It's global servers, meaning the US can play with people in Japan and Europe.

Cross platform isn't happening because Sony doesn't want it to.

Welp, guess I'll look forward to playing with fellow PS4 owners here :)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

For anyone who's hemming and hawing about the prime 20% on the digital code, I just had this conversation:

quote:

Me: Can the 20% discount for Prime subscribers pre-ordering games be applied to a digital download? I'd like to purchase this item.
https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-W...(See full link)
You are now connected to Abhishek from Amazon.com
Abhishek: Hello, my name is Abhishek. I'm here to help you today.
Me: Hi.
Abhishek: I am sorry about the inconvenience. Can you please hold for a minute so that I can check this for you?
Me: take your time
Abhishek: Yes, it will apply for the prime subscribers.
Me: Ok, I'm not seeing it when I try to preorder.
I just placed the order
ORDER # --REDACTED--
And I see that I can't cancel the order or modify it
Abhishek: Matthew I will refund you the 20% once it will ship out with the tracking number and send you the email confirmation.
Me: Okay, great.
Abhishek: Is there any thing else I can help you with today?
Me: No, thanks.
Abhishek: Please click on the "End chat" button at the upper right corner of this window.

Thanks, Abhishek.

Thabhishek.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 18, 2018

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
For anybody still interested in the special edition PS4 Pro, I walked into Gamestop today and they told me they weren't getting any, but they did order it for me with day one shipping, despite the site showing me they weren't available. Worth a shot if folks still want to grab one.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

In that video talking about the new beta it looks like one of the people has a different longsword then the rathian one from the last two betas. I wonder if they've allowed more weapons/armor sets in beta three?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Deviant posted:

For anyone who's hemming and hawing about the prime 20% on the digital code, I just had this conversation:

Uh, what? I'm searching around and I can't find anything about this.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Lexorin posted:

In that video talking about the new beta it looks like one of the people has a different longsword then the rathian one from the last two betas. I wonder if they've allowed more weapons/armor sets in beta three?

Yeah, there's a guy in what looks like Legiana armor and another dude with the Barroth switch axe, but I think this is footage of people fighting Nergigante in the main game, because that environment definitely doesn't look like Wildspire Waste

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Uh, what? I'm searching around and I can't find anything about this.
Gotta be a prime member, they've gotten 20% off pre orders for a long time now. It's not supposed to apply to digital though but as the poster demonstrated, prime members get lots of latitude when you engage customer service!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Squashing Machine posted:

Yeah, there's a guy in what looks like Legiana armor and another dude with the Barroth switch axe, but I think this is footage of people fighting Nergigante in the main game, because that environment definitely doesn't look like Wildspire Waste

All the footage in the video is just cut from the tailers.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Emron posted:

I’m looking forward to using a comically big sword to kill a weird scary bird, then turn the bird’s foot into an even bigger sword that I’ll use to kill, like, a giant snail or whatever.

I just realized there hasn't really been any giant snail/slug monsters and that makes me sad.

Yama Tsukami kind of counts, I guess.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
As a big fan of invertebrate animals and advocator of more invertebrate monsters in Monster Hunter, I don't think a snail/slug would work. They're just so slow and peaceful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bussamove posted:

I just realized there hasn't really been any giant snail/slug monsters and that makes me sad.

Yama Tsukami kind of counts, I guess.

Gigginox and Khezu to a lesser extent I guess.

Though they definitely pull more from leeches etc.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Please just let me have Epitaph Blade in HD

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zore posted:

Gigginox and Khezu to a lesser extent I guess.

Though they definitely pull more from leeches etc.

yea weird we have two crabs but zero snails, when you could kinda go all out with crazy elemental/slime/poison designs with a big ol fuckin snail.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bleck posted:

As a big fan of invertebrate animals and advocator of more invertebrate monsters in Monster Hunter, I don't think a snail/slug would work. They're just so slow and peaceful.

Hmm I dunno. The chart says they're murdering psychopaths actually!

yes I know that's not what it means

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Just a giant snail shooting out love darts in every direction

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Would fight giant mosquito

Already do fight mosquitos but they have green bellies and heal you on hit.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI4DkeZHwEQ&t=449s

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
I’m always secretly disappointed when Vespoid Queen doesn’t make a comeback

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Less than three hours until I can get more practice with my longsword... :getin:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
s'up

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Just getting ready to kill some mons you?

Edit: hahaha I just tried out the GS for the first time in world and it kept Jagras almost permastunned. That's awesome.

Draven fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 19, 2018

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Huh beat Nerg on first try. Used LS and had a minute thirty left. He hits hard but it's fairly easy to get into standard dragon fighting position and wreck him. His stagger limits felt really low, guess we'll see if that's just a beta thing.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AttackBacon posted:

standard dragon fighting position

What does this mean?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
getting hosed in multi by nerd gigante

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Turned on my PS4 and the last program running when I went into Sleep Mode?

The MH Beta. :getin:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Huxley posted:

What does this mean?

In almost every game wherein you fight a dragon (that isn't like a traditional JRPG), the best place to stand while fighting that dragon is diagonally behind the left or right foot. The rule held so true in a lot of MMORPG's that a lot of people (at least in the guilds I was in) started calling it the standard dragon fighting position. This is pretty much true with Nerg from my one fight's worth of experience, except you have to watch out for his tail swipe which he will happily chain three times in a row and which will two shot you.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
God the bow, uh...spikeball dropper skill...trips like a motherfucker. Just straight up pvp chainstun.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

God the bow, uh...spikeball dropper skill...trips like a motherfucker. Just straight up pvp chainstun.

Yeah it's real annoying. I prevented everyone from carving after a hunt once by spamming it

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Got him again although he carted me once this time and it was a closer call (~15 seconds left). Stagger limit is definitely a bit low, once you get rolling you can combo him pretty hard. He hits like a Mack truck loaded with bricks and he's actually pretty relentless. He has a reposition hop he does (very similar to a move narga had) that he'll do straight towards you if you are any distance from him and it doesn't do damage but it'll do a small knockdown on you (knocks you on your butt) and puts him directly behind you and he'll attack right after. So good camera control is a must (R3 locks on remember!) because you cannot take his hits, they do 50-75% hp each. Once he starts building up spikes a lot of his moves have a secondary hit where some of the spikes will fly off and can catch you off guard if you are trying to heal. Black spikes will make you bounce as well so that can really gently caress you if you go for a hit and they change to black as you do it (that's what got me this run).

Seems like his head is a good weak zone but it's really hard to hit in between his horns, which will bounce you. I generally stuck to his legs, underbelly, and tail, which worked well enough. Hitting white spines that haven't hardened yet seems to do decent damage and if you break them on his legs it seems to give a guaranteed knockdown which can be a big deal. His moves are generally really slow but have pretty wide hit areas. A couple of his moves were so slow that it messed me up, I kept countering/evading early because the move just was just so telegraphed. His tail swipes were his most dangerous moves, since you end up in that area a lot if you go for his sides/rear.

Fun fight, little afraid to try multi because of how hard he hits and the three cart limit, I imagine folks are carting right and left. Would be happy to play with some goons later (I imagine that's all through the Discord?). Hopefully it is a little nerfed for beta, I've played a lot of MH but I feel like I still shouldn't be able to beat him first try with a 15 minute timer. Might be a low rank version though, I should try carving him and see what kind of materials he's got, you can tell from the names sometimes.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Was in a nergigante hunt with a Hunter named Logan Paul. We failed miserably and I blame him. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

swordfish duelist posted:

Was in a nergigante hunt with a Hunter named Logan Paul. We failed miserably and I blame him. :colbert:

Same but 3 terrible Japanese folks.