Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HEY GUNS posted:

If you've really got to know, my ideal monarchic system is elective. There was nothing special about Hapsburg blood except its remarkable lack of genetic diversity.

My ideal system is random selection from the population, really. I don't think anyone who wants to be the monarch should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Having a crapload of resources does allow you to do some astoundingly inefficient things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My ideal governmental system is one that isn't corrupt. So, none that have ever existed or are ever likely to.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

[quote="“HEY GUNS”" post="“480420663”"]
harsh burn on the english outa nowhere
[/quote]

Also works if read as being at the expense of Japan :japan: No offense meant tho, Tonga.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cythereal posted:

My ideal governmental system is one that isn't corrupt. So, none that have ever existed or are ever likely to.

My friend have you heard the good news about a benevolent dictatorship with me as the dictator

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Cythereal posted:

There are certainly governmental systems that encourage corruption to greater and lesser degrees though

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"Efficiency" is a lovely word.

Utterly meaningless without saying what the efficiency is of, and you can learn much about people and places based on the unspoken implications that exist when it and similar words are being used on their own.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

Thursday 18th January, 1945

Spent the morning in the ‘pit’ to make up for loss of sleep last night. The afternoon brought a spate of rumours.

1. Warsaw & Kraukau.
2. 15:00 NCO’s arriving tomorrow to be housed in the adjoin new camp.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HEY GUNS posted:

harsh burn on the english outa nowhere

Just like syphilis.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Squalid posted:

The argument is complex because in the last 200 years monarchies that become unstable have tended to quickly turn into similarly unstable but more persistent Republics. So while existing Monarchies may have a high average stability how can we say if the Monarchy produced stability, or if stability has preserved the Monarchy? Much as the atavistic and primitive species of oceanic isles have survived millennia in isolation from competition and environmental disruption, so too may human social institutions survived.

I think to make a good comparison we should look at how well Monarchies vs Republics have in turn handled various crises like coups, civil wars, and invasions. It’s only when tested that we can measure the strength of an institution.

I don't think feedmegin intended to imply any sort of causal link, and I think your analogy is terminologically problematic in that it tends to imply that evolution takes the form of a directed progression toward an end state. Having said that, there's some merit to the comparison of introducing political instability into a regime and introducing environmental instability into an ecosystem: both are likely to create a period of rapid change in response to the new circumstances.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Just like syphilis.

I do like how we and the Italians called it the French disease and they called it the Neopolitan or Spanish disease.

Foreigners got cooties basically.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I don't think feedmegin intended to imply any sort of causal link, and I think your analogy is terminologically problematic in that it tends to imply that evolution takes the form of a directed progression toward an end state. Having said that, there's some merit to the comparison of introducing political instability into a regime and introducing environmental instability into an ecosystem: both are likely to create a period of rapid change in response to the new circumstances.

A fair point, though in this circumstance I felt it necessary to sacrifice biological rigor to facilitate my joke at kiwi’s expense

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phanatic posted:

Just like syphilis.
hey, i was under NO impression that the english gently caress

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well last time I checked I couldn't self multiply. Would explain why there is so much of us around the world.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well last time I checked I couldn't self multiply. Would explain why there is so much of us around the world.
you bud like yeast

or fungus

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
The source is an anonymous diary from 1612. The people it's talking about are army women.

a recurring part of your war experience in the 16th and 17th centuries would have been small dogs. Not big dogs: small dogs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Were the small dogs, perhaps, vicious? Small, but vicious?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

feedmegin posted:

I do like how we and the Italians called it the French disease and they called it the Neopolitan or Spanish disease.

Foreigners got cooties basically.

Speaking of which, there's new research that Cortez didn't wipe out the Aztecs with smallpox.

It was salmonella.

https://www.nature.com/news/collapse-of-aztec-society-linked-to-catastrophic-salmonella-outbreak-1.21485

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

a recurring part of your war experience in the 16th and 17th centuries would have been small dogs. Not big dogs: small dogs.

For what purpose?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phanatic posted:

For what purpose?
People like them

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

you bud like yeast

or fungus

This is the real reason why our beer is kept in a cold basement and why you come across some many classic rural pubs outside the UK. The beer being cold is just a bonus.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Night10194 posted:

Given my experience with dachshunds, probably. All dogs, from the tiniest Chihuahua to the biggest rottweiler, are still a wolf in their own minds. They've just accepted the oddly-shaped hairless wolf (i.e., their owner) as the pack leader.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
lol, just lol, if you've never gone to war with at least one small dog

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Reminds me of a milhist urban legend I heard from the Napoleonic Wars. A 95th Rifleman had got attached and befriended a small dog that a Portugese Cazador shot one day during the march into the Pyrenees. The 95th Rifleman of course handled this like a well adjusted adult and sold the huntsmen some cheap slices ham a few days later.

The ham was actually flesh cut from the dead arse of a French soldier. They never say how recently deceased this poor bugger was.

Hilariously petty and (hopefully) not true. Anyone else got these weird urban legend sort of stories they'd like to share?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Italian Aircraft of World War 2
Post 1

Breda

While bigger than Ambrosini, Breda was a relatively unknown company when compared to Fiat, Savoia-Marchetti, or Macchi. Still, the Societa Italiana Ernesto Breda built a number of aircraft that were in use before, and during, World War 2.

Breda 46

A development on an earlier plane, the Breda 32, this aircraft was designed to fill the transport and bomber roles. It could carry twelve troops and a normal bombload of 2200 pounds. Despite doubling its power output from the Breda 32 model, this was necessary to fill a military requirement at a loaded weight of 20,460 pounds.

The craft had stations for 4 gunners, two in dorsal positions, and another two in ventral turrets. If no troops were carried, the bombload could be increased to 4400 pounds.

Empty weight: 12,100 pounds
Normal load: 12 Men and 2200 pounds of bombs or 4400 pounds of bombs
Maximum weight: Not stated, but text points loaded weight to 20,460 pounds

Wingspan: 98ft 5in
Length: 54ft 11⅜in
Wing area: 1119 sq ft.
Height: 9ft 6in

Cruising speed: 161mph / 260km/h
Maximum speed: 196mph / 315km/h
Range: 683 to 1242* miles (4400lb and 2200lb* bombloads, respectively *2200lb payload, sans troops*)
Service ceiling: 25,360 feet / 7700 meters
Climb to 16,400ft/5000m: 18 mins

Breda 64 and 65

The Breda 64 was the predecessor of the only really well known Breda vehicle, the Ba 65. This multirole project was designed with fighter, light bomber, and reconnaissance tasks in mind. It was an all-metal low-wing monoplane with retractable landing gear, and used a 700hp Alfa Romeo Pegasus radial engine. It was armed with four 7.7mm machine guns, in its fighter configuration; as a reconnaissance aircraft it had a gun mounted in the rear cockpit; the bomber variant could carry twelve 8.8lb bombs, or up to four 220lb bombs.

Empty weight: 3300 pounds
Maximum weight: 5500 pounds

Wingspan: 39ft 8in
Length: 31ft 6in
Wing area: 252.8 sq ft.
Height: 10ft 11in

Cruising speed:
Maximum speed: 224mph / 360km/h
Range: 560 to 932 miles (Depending on load)
Service ceiling: 26,240 feet / 8000 meters (in the fighter configuration)
Climb to 16,400ft/5000m:

Breda Ba.65s in flight

While the Breda 64 was a disappointment when faced with anything remotely as modern as it, the Ba 65 attempted to rectify its shortcomings. It is safe to say the attempt failed, as seen with their dreary combat results in North Africa against a capable enemy. Although this upgraded plane had a closed cockpit, many Italian pilots kept it open anyways, preferring the old style. (Flying with the cockpit closed would not become the accepted method of flight until the later stages of the war!)

Another change was the engine, going from a 1030hp Fiat A.80 R.C.41 radial engine to a 900 hp Isotta-Fraschini K.14 (A license built version of the Gnome-Rhone 14). Apart from that, the fuselage was larger and the vertical tail surfaces were modified. It carried 4 machine guns, two 7.7mm guns and two 12.7mm guns. Bombloads could range from 160 8.8lb AP bombs to one 2200lb pound. Two-seat versions of the Ba.65 had a gun in the rear cockpit, with some examples being fitted with a hydraulically-powered turret, which contained a 12.7mm MG.

(Stats are for two-seater version)

Empty weight: 5291 pounds
Maximum weight: 6504-7716 pounds

Wingspan: 39ft 8in
Length: 31ft 6in
Wing area: 252.9 sq ft.
Height: 10ft 6in

Cruising speed: 227mph / 365km/h
Maximum speed: 255mph / 410km/h
Range: 684 miles
Service ceiling: 25,290 feet / 7700 meters
Climb to 16,400ft/5000m:

Breda 75

A prototype aircraft with a close resemblance to the Breda 65, the 75 was built as a two-seat ground-attack reconnaissance aircraft, having mostly the same shape as the 65 but with a different canopy, fixed landing gear, and higher-set wings. The design never progressed very far and was eventually dropped. Armament was two 12.7mm MGs.

Empty weight:
Maximum weight:

Wingspan: 51ft 2⅛in
Wing area:
Length: 37ft 0¾in
Height: 10ft 2in

Cruising speed: 186mph / 300km/h
Maximum speed: 233mph / 375km/h
Range: 1056 miles (with 3968lb payload)
Service ceiling:
Climb to 16,400ft/5000m:

Breda 82

Moving away from the single-engine fighter/bomber/reconnaissance aircraft, we have the Breda 82, a twin-engined medium bomber. Fitted with two 1000hp FIAT A.80 R.C.41 radial engines, and split-flaps in the wings. It also carried one gun in the nose, as well as one in a ventral and dorsal position. The Regia Aeronautica eventually canceled this design, citing preference on tri-engined aircraft and difficulties with the Fiat engines.

Empty weight:
Maximum weight:

Wingspan: 68ft 11in
Wing area:
Length: 45ft 11in
Height: 14ft 9in

Cruising speed:
Maximum speed: 264mph / 425km/h
Range:
Service ceiling: 31,160ft/9500m
Climb to 16,400ft/5000m:

Breda 88

Continuing a tradition in disappointment, the twin-engined attack bomber Breda 88 "Lynx/Lince" was initially designed in 1936 and demonstrated its speed to good effect by breaking F.A.I. records twice. The initial model was fitted with a single-tail unit, but a second type used a twin-fin and rudder setup. Even though it was able to break speed records, it quickly became clear that those speeds were only achievable with a stripped-down aircraft, and not one flying at the Regia Aeronautica's combat standards, even after swapping to the more powerful 1000hp Piaggio P.XI R.C.40. The maximum speed of the combat version was 305mph, while the earlier record-breaker reached 20 to 40 miles per hour more, depending on loads.

It was fitted with three nose-mounted 12.7mm BREDA-SAFAT machine guns, and one 7.7mm MG in the rear cockpit. Additionally, it could carry three 100lb bombs, three 220lb bombs, or two 550lb bombs. Examples shipped to North Africa all proved disappointing, and the production run was ended after only 105 examples were made. Three aircraft were further modified into dive-bombers, with dive brakes added and a 4th 12.7mm mounted in the nose.

Empty weight:
Maximum weight: 14,881 pounds

Wingspan: 51ft 2⅛in
Wing area: 358.5 sq. ft.
Length: 35ft 5in
Height: 10ft 2¾in

Cruising speed: 273mph/440kmh
Maximum speed:
Range: 1019 miles
Service ceiling: 26,240ft/8000m
Climb to 9,840ft/3000m: 7 min. 30 sec.

Breda 201

This prototype was an attempt for the Italians to build a dive-bomber that would fill in the role of the Ju-87 that was being purchased from the Germans. It bore a slight resemblance due to its inverted gull wings and nose profile, but was otherwise different. The first example was tested in 1941, using a DB 601 engine rated at 1050hp. It carried a bomb internally, and used a swinging arm to launch the bomb outside of the propeller's arc. Two cockpit locations were tried, one near the leading edge of the wing and the other over the trailing edge of the wing. In trials, the former gave better visibility to the pilot, while the latter improved aerodynamics.

Empty weight:
Maximum weight: 8598 pounds

Wingspan: 42ft 8in
Wing area:
Length: 36ft 6in
Height:

Cruising speed:
Maximum speed:
Range:
Service ceiling:
Climb to 9,840ft/3000m:

Breda Zappata Project

One of a number of Filippo Zappata's projects was the BZ.303, a mixed construction night fighter, mounting two Piaggio P.XV R.C.60/2V radial engines rated at 1450hp. It was to have eight(!) 20mm Mauser cannons in the nose and a 12.7mm gun in the dorsal position. Despite being built and in testing, it was eventually destroyed by the Germans due to the shifting nature of the war. While Zappata had other projects in the pipeline, the BZ.303 was the only one built and tested before the end of the war.

Empty weight:
Maximum weight: 24,251 pounds

Wingspan: 67ft 11in
Wing area:
Length: 55ft 8½in
Height:

Cruising speed:
Maximum speed:
Range: 962 miles (est.)
Service ceiling:
Climb to 9,840ft/3000m:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone please give me a couple book recommendations covering the history of the Islamic Caliphates.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Phanatic posted:

For what purpose?

Dogs are also good night watches and they don't have to be big for that purpose - the Prince of Orange was saved by his dog Pompey. Breed isn't clear, but according to some versions it was a predecessor of pug. And a small dog doesn't require as much leftovers from its master.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Did military camps have rat issues because of all the refuse? The right kind of small dog could help with that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Night10194 posted:

I see what you did there, rat-catcher.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Small dogs are also very cute and will not yell at you for not cleaning your gladius/pike/rifle. Everyone needs a mascot too.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Breda 46

A development on an earlier plane, the Breda 32, this aircraft was designed to fill the transport and bomber roles. It could carry twelve troops and a normal bombload of 2200 pounds. Despite doubling its power output from the Breda 32 model, this was necessary to fill a military requirement at a loaded weight of 20,460 pounds.

The craft had stations for 4 gunners, two in dorsal positions, and another two in ventral turrets. If no troops were carried, the bombload could be increased to 4400 pounds.

Empty weight: 12,100 pounds
Normal load: 12 Men and 2200 pounds of bombs or 4400 pounds of bombs
Maximum weight: Not stated, but text points loaded weight to 20,460 pounds

Wingspan: 98ft 5in
Length: 54ft 11⅜in
Wing area: 1119 sq ft.
Height: 9ft 6in

Cruising speed: 161mph / 260km/h
Maximum speed: 196mph / 315km/h
Range: 683 to 1242* miles (4400lb and 2200lb* bombloads, respectively *2200lb payload, sans troops*)
Service ceiling: 25,360 feet / 7700 meters
Climb to 16,400ft/5000m: 18 mins

Wait, designed to fill the bomber and transport roles at the same time? That decision seems, uh, questionable.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Wait, designed to fill the bomber and transport roles at the same time? That decision seems, uh, questionable.

Its simple! Bomb the airfield and then air-land troops to take it over.

Italians were ahead of the game! Imagine if they had helicopters... :allears:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its simple! Bomb the airfield and then air-land troops to take it over.

Italians were ahead of the game! Imagine if they had helicopters... :allears:

I'm disappointed somebody asked about it first. I was reading this:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A development on an earlier plane, the Breda 32, this aircraft was designed to fill the transport and bomber roles. It could carry twelve troops and a normal bombload of 2200 pounds.
Internally that went something like, "Hehehe shouldn't that be 'or?' That would be funny to stuff some people inside the plane with some bombs. It would all be like, 'Hey guys we'll drop you off but I gotta take a detour.'" That's kind of funny--

quote:

:eek: "Wait really? They really did stuff some people in there with the bombs? What the gently caress?!"

But this:

quote:

Although this upgraded plane had a closed cockpit, many Italian pilots kept it open anyways, preferring the old style. (Flying with the cockpit closed would not become the accepted method of flight until the later stages of the war!)
:italy:

:italy:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Internally that went something like, "Hehehe shouldn't that be 'or?' That would be funny to stuff some people inside the plane with some bombs. It would all be like, 'Hey guys we'll drop you off but I gotta take a detour.'" That's kind of funny--
This is your captain speaking, the fasten seat belt sign HAS been turned on

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Maybe you guys should find something better to do with your time :confused: As I learned the term, "first world" doesn't really refer to any specifical alliance or area, but means that the speaker considers their nation innately civilized and well-functioning, which is a hoot when someone acts like I was talking about America. It was colourful exaggeration and I'd apologize for making you all fly off the loving handle if it wasn't your own responsibility to begin with.

FAUXTON posted:

Why would they use a halon system in an armored vehicle

I'm was/am on my first day of chem 101 and so not exactly sure what halon is, but here's the report FWIW( has chest radiographs, safe for work) :

https://www.sto.nato.int/publicatio...faultItemOpen=1

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You learned the term wrong, then. I know it's changed from the original intended definition but that is stupid

Halomethane is/was used in fire extinguishing systems in AFVs because burning to death sucks, and it will put out fires at a low concentration that allows people in the fighting compartment to Not Suffocate unlike CO2 systems.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 19, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Could you please explain to me what it is I misunderstood instead of going on about how dumb I am? The above report explains that three dudes died because of poisoning, and I read that the fire suppression system can create HA at high temperatures.

Which part is wrong, and why?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

hey, i was under NO impression that the english gently caress

Uhhh am I misremembering or isn't your boyfriend English? :shobon:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tias posted:

Could you please explain to me what it is I misunderstood instead of going on about how dumb I am? The above report explains that three dudes died because of poisoning, and I read that the fire suppression system can create HA at high temperatures.

Which part is wrong, and why?

It's not wrong. But if you read the report, there was a literal direct RPG strike on a HFC-227 tank that was part of the fire suppression system in each case. In very intense heat (like way more than for a normal vehicle fire), HFC-227 will turn in to HF. It's just that the chance of a very unlucky direct explosion occuring on the HFC-227 tank does not outweigh the purpose of the fire suppression system in all other cases.

It's kind of like, yes, in certain types of crashes wearing your seatbelt will kill you. But it's such a low-probability event that it makes a lot more sense to wear it for all the other cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

To up the early modernness, publish pamphlets accusing the small adorable dog of being a demon, and when it dies claim it was slain by a skilled necromancer.

http://ota.ox.ac.uk/tcp/headers/A81/A81604.html