Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
No thank you on Allen. Either sign a QB or draft Lamar Jackson and Saquan Barkley for the Browns. And get a sicker O-Line to give wide holes and all day. K. THNX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Payne or Vea to the Chargers please

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

a neat cape posted:

Payne or Vea to the Chargers please

That would be such a filthy DL

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guess the Jags could grab a tight end or something, or BPA if nobody is standing out that late in the round.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/siclancy/status/954120603082117120

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MrLogan posted:

Is Allen this year's Eli Apple or Eric Ebron?

Christian Hackenberg

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Coldforge posted:

Wow, Daurice Fountain looks good. Wonder how high he’s going to climb? Crazy mid round WR class again this year.

https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/953287917283237888

https://twitter.com/ChaseGoodbread/status/953649096010752000

https://twitter.com/TampaBayTre/status/953291361620545538

https://twitter.com/Dan_Hope/status/953650299901800454

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Tbh Anonte Maddox isn't very good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is there any examples of QBs that have been as inaccurate in college as Allen has and had a good NFL career?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Is there any examples of QBs that have been as inaccurate in college as Allen has and had a good NFL career?

:vick:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Tbh Anonte Maddox isn't very good

But consider the QB throwing the ball.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Stafford was almost as inaccurate.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
WHICH OF YOU LUCKY SONS OR DAUGHTERS WANTS TO DRAFT THE NEXT JAKE LOCKER?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Remember when the bengals called mohamed sanu one round early by accident then said oh poo poo and made it seem like it was a "prank call" and then took him the very next round like they had planned

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MrLogan posted:

Is Allen this year's Eli Apple or Eric Ebron?

Allen's not ~bad~ per se. He can throw monster deep balls and there's good zip on his throws. Problem is he throws wobblers due to his feet placement when he's constantly scrambling behind Wyoming's line. He's also not the smartest guy on the field and makes a lot of forced boneheaded throws, but this is Wyoming football we're talking about. Their stadium seats less than 30k people for a reason. Losing to Iowa and Oregon isn't completely out of the question even if you have a NFL quality prospect at QB, and that QB performing poorly in those games isn't necessarily all on him. He seemed to clamp down a lot this year which resulted in way less INTs but way less flashiness.

Allen also lost his unsung star RB Brian Hill to the draft last year (went to the Bengals I think) and they replaced him with two dinguses that couldn't establish a run game to save their lives. Their playcalling also got way worse and I remember turning off Wyoming games a few times earlier this year.

But ya anyway he's not a first overall because of his accuracy issues and the lack of production this year but I can see a team falling in love with his arm strength. I'd say he's solidly top 50 right now.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Christian Hackenberg

No one is that bad

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Kizer. Writers and scouts are pumping him up despite poor performance.

Kizer was a good QB prospect. Just because he flamed out on a historically bad team doesn't change that he threw a really pretty ball in college. Most people blamed all the inconsistent play on Kelly and Notre Dame graduating a ton of people in 16, among them his star LT, WR, and RB.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Kizer is and has always been rear end, my dude

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just want to point out again that this was drafted with the 51st overall pick:

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
If you miss Draft Breakdown and want to sift through some tape, this guy has compiled a great spreadsheet of prospect information.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Jackson a lot, he seems to be one of the better passers in terms of delivery and speed, also compared to some of the other dudes I like the way he sees the field.

But he's black, skinny, and not tall, and he can run, so I guess he'll end up like Watson.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Allen is the toolsy guy that should go in the 2nd, but will go top 15.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Probably Magic posted:

WHICH OF YOU LUCKY SONS OR DAUGHTERS WANTS TO DRAFT THE NEXT JAKE LOCKER?

Jake locker is exactly who I think of when I see josh Allen play. At least there aren't any Wyoming posters here defending him non stop like we had Washington posters with locker

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Listen, the ref was wearing camouflage, it could have happened to any QB

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

algebra testes posted:

I like Jackson a lot, he seems to be one of the better passers in terms of delivery and speed, also compared to some of the other dudes I like the way he sees the field.

But he's black, skinny, and not tall, and he can run, so I guess he'll end up like Watson.

He's about half an inch and 5 pounds smaller than Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doltos posted:

I just want to point out again that this was drafted with the 51st overall pick:

This was actually a really good throw that hit the intended target :confused:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Doltos posted:

I mean I'm lollin' at the other ones and the fact that this one hit a guy not looking, but in this case he's actually doing the right thing and throwing the ball away instead of eating the sack or chucking it up for chance.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Doltos posted:

He's about half an inch and 5 pounds smaller than Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold

Skinny Black Quarterback is the new System Quarterback

scouts needed a new weird bugaboo now that practically everybody runs some Air Raid variation or another

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 19, 2018

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shangri-Law School posted:

Stafford was almost as inaccurate.

one big thing i remember before stafford was drafted was talking about how no QB who had failed to get to 60% completion in college ever ended up improving above it in the pros. i dont know if that stat is actually true but i remember a big deal being made of his fairly sub 60% rate.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Prior to last season a big thing was made about no QB with a velocity as bad as DeShaun Watson ever being a long term starter in the league, never mind a good one.

It’s all a crapshoot.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Diva Cupcake posted:

Prior to last season a big thing was made about no QB with a velocity as bad as DeShaun Watson ever being a long term starter in the league, never mind a good one.

It’s all a crapshoot.

eh

People who watch a lot of college ball thought Deshaun would be good and couldn't understand anyone drafting Hack

you actually can glean stuff from the tapes

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sure. People who watch a lot of college ball also thought Dan LeFevour was a future HoFer.

No one is a 100% lock or bust.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

It’s all a crapshoot.

College stats mean nothing obviously or Mike Leach quarterbacks would have been ruining the NFL for the last 15 years. But has anyone been as dogshit as Josh Allen was in his final college year and done anything in the NFL?

Jake Locker was the poster boy for "well his team let him down" and he sucked. And he was decently better than Allen in a much better conference. Josh Freeman sprang to mind too but he was far better than both in college, I guess I just remember him as really disappointing (I'm sure Jordy Nelson helped in that case).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

College stats mean nothing obviously or Mike Leach quarterbacks would have been ruining the NFL for the last 15 years. But has anyone been as dogshit as Josh Allen was in his final college year and done anything in the NFL?

Jake Locker was the poster boy for "well his team let him down" and he sucked. And he was decently better than Allen in a much better conference. Josh Freeman sprang to mind too but he was far better than both in college, I guess I just remember him as really disappointing (I'm sure Jordy Nelson helped in that case).
Boy that's a tough one. Rex Grossman was pretty bad his final year in college. Also, :colbert:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-mccown-1.html

McCown might have the single worst college career other than like Matt Cassel who actually had a decent pro career.

e: Found on the FO site. The list of quarterbacks taken in the top 100 with a sub-55% completion percentage tehir final year in college.

Brock Huard
Dave Ragone
Kyle Boller
Marques Tuiasosopo
Quincy Carter
Christian Hackenberg

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 19, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Whew, McCown has had quite the career after that. Jesus how did he ever get a look?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Cavauro posted:

Remember when the bengals called mohamed sanu one round early by accident then said oh poo poo and made it seem like it was a "prank call" and then took him the very next round like they had planned

It was an actual prank call and they drafted him in the 3rd not 2nd

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Whew, McCown has had quite the career after that. Jesus how did he ever get a look?

He transferred after his junior year to Sam Houston State and had a significantly better year

code:
Com    Att    Pct     Yds      Y/A    TD    INT    Rtg    
259    429    60.4    3,481    8.1    32    12    147.6

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Jake locker is exactly who I think of when I see josh Allen play. At least there aren't any Wyoming posters here defending him non stop like we had Washington posters with locker

Josh Allen's pro comparison is Logan Thomas.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Boy that's a tough one. Rex Grossman was pretty bad his final year in college. Also, :colbert:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-mccown-1.html

McCown might have the single worst college career other than like Matt Cassel who actually had a decent pro career.

e: Found on the FO site. The list of quarterbacks taken in the top 100 with a sub-55% completion percentage tehir final year in college.

Brock Huard
Dave Ragone
Kyle Boller
Marques Tuiasosopo
Quincy Carter
Christian Hackenberg

That list is.... bad.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

something I just learned, Marques Tuiasosopo is currently the quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator for Cal

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Diva Cupcake posted:

Sure. People who watch a lot of college ball also thought Dan LeFevour was a future HoFer.

Dan LeFevour is the coolest backup QB that Winnipeg has ever had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

seiferguy posted:

I mean I'm lollin' at the other ones and the fact that this one hit a guy not looking, but in this case he's actually doing the right thing and throwing the ball away instead of eating the sack or chucking it up for chance.

There were more horrible Hackenberg gifs but I couldn't get them to load, that was a relatively minor one but was funny cus he probably wasn't trying to throw the ball way and the whole dinging the guy in the face.

Diva Cupcake posted:

There was a weird goon rally around the Fever when he was coming out mainly because he was one of those do it all QBs and had a great college statline in the MAC. It was really evident that he had no arm strength and never completed downfield passes. He was king dump off and his scrambling wasn't that good either. All that made him predictably drop in the draft.

Raku posted:

eh

People who watch a lot of college ball thought Deshaun would be good and couldn't understand anyone drafting Hack

you actually can glean stuff from the tapes

We all watched a lot of Clemson thanks to ESPN and Watson really didn't look that good. He floated passes, had bad footwork, and didn't have the greatest combination of accuracy and arm strength. I didn't think he'd be good at all, much less a ROY/Franchise QB candidate after 8 games. It is kinda a crap shoot sometimes unless your name is Christian Hackenberg.

I don't even hate Hackenberg I just hate that he exists solely to undermine the faith in NFL decision makers.

• Locked thread