Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm honestly shocked there wasn't some weirdly janky workaround to beating Emil. I was expecting those Emil heads to not be breakable, because he uses magic instead of tech.

...! posted:

Emil deserved it. Retribution for the Aerie. :colbert:

Oh great, now we're back on 'you look like the guy who did it so we hate you' track again. Did you learn nothing from Devola and Popola?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

RareAcumen posted:

I'm honestly shocked there wasn't some weirdly janky workaround to beating Emil. I was expecting those Emil heads to not be breakable, because he uses magic instead of tech.

Oh great, now we're back on 'you look like the guy who did it so we hate you' track again. Did you learn nothing from Devola and Popola?

It's completely different. Each Devola and Popola are created as distinct beings. They do not have each other's memories. Each Emil is a clone that has the memories of the original.

From here, we get into the realm of philosophy. It is argued by many philosophers that we are our memories. So if a clone has your memories, that clone is you for all intents and purposes since the actual body that contains your memories doesn't matter. Counterintuitive, I know. So it's not a matter of the Emil clones merely looking like the original; they each are the original and his sins are theirs.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

...! posted:

It's completely different. Each Devola and Popola are created as distinct beings. They do not have each other's memories. Each Emil is a clone that has the memories of the original.

From here, we get into the realm of philosophy. It is argued by many philosophers that we are our memories. So if a clone has your memories, that clone is you for all intents and purposes since the actual body that contains your memories doesn't matter. Counterintuitive, I know. So it's not a matter of the Emil clones merely looking like the original; they each are the original and his sins are theirs.

Except it's stated by Emil that his memories have degraded. In the weapon story we just got, it's mentioned that copying the original's memories over and over has caused them to degrade, so the latest generation of clones doesn't really know the goal or purpose of the original. The memories are still there, but incomplete. Even when you complete his quest, he doesn't seem to really remember Kaine or Nier, he just remembers that there used to be someone important to him.

His clones are not him. They are reflections of him, but when you reflect an image over and over and over, it eventually fades to be unrecognizable.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Emil's memories blur each time he splits/clones himself. It becomes more difficult with each subsequent clone to recognize every Emil as equivalent beings to the original Emil.

e:f,b

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

...! posted:

careful there charle cumboat

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Do we ever get an explanation for the giant Emil heads in the desert?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Do we ever get an explanation for the giant Emil heads in the desert?

Wouldn't we all be better of if we never did?

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Wouldn't we all be better of if we never did?

Probably.

So that's probably not what's going to happen.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I don't recall that we get any sort of exposition, but it's clear that they are just another iteration of the forces Emil cloned of himself to fight the alien hordes.

They're chillin' on dunes because wouldn't you?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
If Emil clones are to be considered as any less than the original, then I've got bad news for 2B and 9S. Uh, well, I suppose it doesn't matter all that much for 2B anymore, but 9S might want to be careful around those vending machine teleporter things in the future.

None of this actually matters though because machines and androids are no different from very advanced clockwork mechanisms, and aren't actually self-aware in the least. Everything that's happened so far is just a giant mechanical puppet show watched by no one that has been going on for millennia after the ones that wound up the mechanism kicked the bucket.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

MadBimber posted:

Wow, that was uncalled for.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also: can A2 pet the pods?

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

If Emil clones are to be considered as any less than the original, then I've got bad news for 2B and 9S. Uh, well, I suppose it doesn't matter all that much for 2B anymore, but 9S might want to be careful around those vending machine teleporter things in the future.

None of this actually matters though because machines and androids are no different from very advanced clockwork mechanisms, and aren't actually self-aware in the least. Everything that's happened so far is just a giant mechanical puppet show watched by no one that has been going on for millennia after the ones that wound up the mechanism kicked the bucket.

2B and 9S are different. Rather than copying a single file over and over and over, there is a single master file that is copied once for each iteration. Also, each time they are backed up, the original file is deleted, and the fresh new file is put in place.

It's the difference between copying a jpeg, and then copying the copy, and then copying the copy, and then copying the copy, and then copying the copy, and then copying the copy, every time you need a new copy, you copy the last copy.... Versus copying the source jpeg every time you need a new copy.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I have literally no idea what you're trying to say. Something about jpeg artifacts and lossy compression? But then that doesn't make much sense because doing the "copy master file -> do things -> replace the master file" thing multiple time is exactly the same as making copies of copies.

Besides, Emil is a smart boy and he'd use pngs.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I think for the purposes of Nier Automata storyline there's a line of consciousness that's presumed to be preserved across teleporters/uploads/ect. It's only when the line is broken (9S dying in the prologue) or altered (Emil's mental degradation via copy) that you can start to say that the new version is a different 'person'.

None of this actually matters though because machines and androids are no different from very advanced clockwork mechanisms, and aren't actually self-aware in the least.
Androids are about as self-aware as humans are.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Technically true because the humans are currently all dead.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Also: can A2 pet the pods?

She can iirc. They don't have any different dialogue.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Mikhail is watching.

He's making sure there aren't any goddamn wyvern machines.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Humankind and machinekind and androidkind and emilkind are all equally doomed

The only thing that might survive are the cross-dinensional androids, and even that isn’t certain

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Wow, it's like you literally have taken the exact OPPOSITE message from this game.

I love how this game can be summed up as "P-zombies are bullshit."

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Jetrauben posted:

Wow, it's like you literally have taken the exact OPPOSITE message from this game.
Well... both that statement and the idea that androids and machines are basically exactly the same as humans can be true at the same time. Humans are basically just mindless meat machines too following a purpose implanted in us by an imperfect copying system thousands of years old that is no longer relevant to our present day existence.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Indeterminacy posted:

Well... both that statement and the idea that androids and machines are basically exactly the same as humans can be true at the same time. Humans are basically just mindless meat machines too following a purpose implanted in us by an imperfect copying system thousands of years old that is no longer relevant to our present day existence.

Meat machines, arguable, but mindless?

We're the gold standard for minds. We're the only standard for minds we've got at the moment, as it works out. (Well, a parrot asked what color he was once, so he's a maybe.) That's one of the fundamental ironies of human existence. A creature fully aware of its own ridiculous nature.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Crows can use tools, remember faces, ask friends for help and can associate your ugly mug with food or violence against them.

They also like shiny things and understand the concept of "fun"

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

Humankind and machinekind and androidkind and emilkind are all equally doomed

The only thing that might survive are the cross-dinensional androids, and even that isn’t certain

Hey now, I'd like to remind you that the moose and boar alliance is still going strong!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

boars have survived like 4 different consecutive apocalypses and are still assholes.
next yoko taro game will just be about boars

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Meat machines, arguable, but mindless?
It's arguable. Determinism vs. Free Will

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Augus posted:

boars have survived like 4 different consecutive apocalypses and are still assholes.

So is the unspoken assumption here that moose went extinct and re-evolved at some point over the last ten thousand years?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Augus posted:

first weapon story:

gently caress YOU, I'M A BOAR

gently caress YOU, I'M A BOAR

gently caress YOU

I'M A BOAR

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it'll be a war between the moose and the boars
and then it will be revealed that the moose are actually boars and the boars are the real moose
but that's just scratching the surface

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010

Augus posted:

Taro's next game will just be Tokyo Jungle.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Know Such Peace posted:

It's arguable. Determinism vs. Free Will

Not really the same argument as mindless or not.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I am a p-zombie.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MadBimber posted:

Don't do this.

BlitzMentalist
Jan 20, 2018

A Person Who Does Things.
Hi there.

So I first found this series through looking up the NieR LP on complete accident a few years ago, probably when I was too young to know about all of this to be honest, and I've been lurking and reading through the series ever since. It's only now that I've actually caught up with one of these before it finished, so I just want to say thanks for introducing me to this series and that you've done a great job guiding us all through it. Now, I guess it's time to stick Mr. Yoko's Wild Ride to at least a temporary end.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Fastball LIVE in concert posted:

Taro's next game will just be Tokyo Jungle.

Did you know: Tokyo Jungle has a story mode?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Archenteron posted:

Did you know: Tokyo Jungle has a story mode?

Yessir! Featuring a lot of cute dogs, chicks and raptors and robodogs!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Seeing Emil's war wagon is almost worth stealing from him in the first place.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015
So possible spoilers, but Miracle of Sound just posted something y'all might want to look at.

[um. afraid there's nothing "possible" about this. come back later or try the thread in Games. -fedule]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 21, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
That totally has spoilers from a few cutscenes we haven't gotten to yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Oh, that reminds me. For the first time in forever, youtube actually suggested something useful and this thing popped up for me a little while ago. It's kinda good. No spoilers in the video itself, but I'm sure you all know how this works by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsWX6GYSTxc

• Locked thread