Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Wow, that is probably the worst / thinnest region I’ve seen generated. They can make some real funny shapes, but I haven’t personally had a game with one even close to that awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What in the world, I just noticed this...thing that they cal la region when I was burning down the rest of Orange's empire:

Endless Gerrymandering: A 4X game wherein you control a political party seeking to assert dominance over a polity in the Endless universe.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

onesixtwo posted:

Well, made a new game, turn 5 I cannot invade Horatio despite the ‘Righteous Fury’ law being active. That is a really lovely bug, and completely explains why the Vodyani AI is absolutely brain dead 10/10 times. Completely broken law mechanics are awful to uncover. Next Vodyani game I’m going to just have to focus Military laws and ignore religion beyond the +essence law. Boooooo.

Good luck with that, Voydani pop bias has it so that every point towards military gives a point towards religion too. You WILL be religious, even more so if you warmonger.
(I suppose its *possible* to get a military junta in, it it's require using the esoteric vote-swapping mechanics. Something about pushing industry hard and having the votes swap into military? Who knows, who cares)

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Serephina posted:

Good luck with that, Voydani pop bias has it so that every point towards military gives a point towards religion too. You WILL be religious, even more so if you warmonger.
(I suppose its *possible* to get a military junta in, it it's require using the esoteric vote-swapping mechanics. Something about pushing industry hard and having the votes swap into military? Who knows, who cares)

Ugh, yeah that sounds pretty dumb. Guess I wait to see if they fix this, or a mod shows up. I was a bit surprised to find nothing on the workshop when I looked the other day.

vvvv Woow that is uhh... spooky!

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 18, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Danann posted:

Endless Gerrymandering: A 4X game wherein you control a political party seeking to assert dominance over a polity in the Endless universe.
ahahaha

:stare:

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The Vodyani main quest (at least one of the paths) requires you to change and it was easy to temporarily switch to military from what I remember, as long as you pick the election action that says it works best on already well-supported factions, but you'd probably have to keep picking it if you want to stay that way. The ecologist power is absurdly good for Vodyani but I've only managed to get them in once.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Helion posted:

Looks like we got an hour long presentation coming up on Endless Day, the 18th. What are you hoping for?

I'd like a full sized expansion for Endless Space 2, and perhaps an announcement for Endless Legend 2: now with Terraforming!

EL2, with removed boundaries. Allow me to be free like Civ!

Terraforming would be radical too. Really, any sort of dust magic that isn't locked to one race would be nice.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TalonDemonKing posted:

EL2, with removed boundaries. Allow me to be free like Civ!

Terraforming would be radical too. Really, any sort of dust magic that isn't locked to one race would be nice.
This or at least find a way to let the borders be more fluid. And let there be a district that goes over Temples and Minor Faction villages so they stay on the map but count as a district, even if they have some sort of downside in terms of cost of building the district or FIDSI generation on the tile.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
http://www.pcgamer.com/endless-space-2-unveils-the-vaulters-dlc/

So Vaulters are coming for ES2 as a mini expansion.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 18, 2018

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I'm down. Sounds like they're gonna be nomadic space pirates. Yo ho ho and etc.

Also, sounds like the Sisters of Mercy made it off Auriga! Good for them. And they say nice guys finish last!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Helion posted:

I'm down. Sounds like they're gonna be nomadic space pirates. Yo ho ho and etc.

Also, sounds like the Sisters of Mercy made it off Auriga! Good for them. And they say nice guys finish last!
How could you tell that about the Sisters of Mercy?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
It's in the press release quoted in the Rock Paper Shotgun preview.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Helion posted:

It's in the press release quoted in the Rock Paper Shotgun preview.
Do you have a link for that? I dont see a link for it on what Mokinokaro linked (http://www.pcgamer.com/endless-space-2-unveils-the-vaulters-dlc/)

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Here it is:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/01/18/endless-space-2-vaulters-expansion/#more-509211

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How could you tell that about the Sisters of Mercy?

Here is the press release:

quote:

A new civilization means, as usual, a new way to play: the Vaulters will have the ability to teleport and use the Argosy - their legacy colony ship featured in the Prologue video.

They will also have their own heroes (including the famous Opbot), technologies, buildings, a new starting special node, the Sisters of Mercy minor civilization that they brought with them from Auriga, and of course, a brand-new main quest. Will they discover the truth about their Gods? Will they find a new home to start all over? Will they save their people that stayed on Auriga?

The Expansion will also feature new exotic combat modules like boarding and taking control of ships, as well as the Pirate Diplomacy gameplay enabling negotiations with their leader.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

onesixtwo posted:

Oh poo poo, let me actually describe what ‘completely broken’ means, my bad. Yeah, it is active since start of game, and should be.. the broken part is it doesn’t work as the description says. I’m in a Cold War with Cravers, but I cannot invade. The description fo the Law states I should be able to invade during Cold War (Righteous Fury), but the option to invade is grey’d out unless I officially ‘Declare War.’ I’ve tried in both UE, and Cravers and the only thing I can do is shoot their ships in space, but no invasion until a Wardec.

Weird as the latest patch seems to fixed a issue with it:

quote:

"Righteous fury" religious law now allows to go through closed borders

but nothing about it completely broken. They touched the code in that area so maybe they fixed it in 1.20.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I think one of the screenshots up on steam for the DLC features a Sister of Mercy, if anyone wants to see them. Sorry I'm not much for links today, on my lovely phone.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Helion posted:

I think one of the screenshots up on steam for the DLC features a Sister of Mercy, if anyone wants to see them. Sorry I'm not much for links today, on my lovely phone.

Tormented fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 18, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cool, thanks!

I noticed something in the images on the RPS/PCG pages:

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Also to note that from Jan 25th to like, Feb1st, Endless stuff is going on sale.

I can finally pick up EL: Tempest!

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

TalonDemonKing posted:

Also to note that from Jan 25th to like, Feb1st, Endless stuff is going on sale.

I can finally pick up EL: Tempest!

If you dig EL, Tempest is quite worth it. Really brings the seas to life, and the Morgawr are a very different faction from the rest.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not very good at morg, but they're my favourite faction in EL. I set map type to islands when playing tho :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tempest is the only expansion I feel is essential in EL. Naval warfare brings so much to the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I think that its pretty funny that navies are so slow in EL when traditionally travel by boat is always remarkably faster. It is nice stuff though regardless.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
It would not kill them to bump up the speed of all ships a hex or two, yeah.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Mokinokaro posted:

Tempest is the only expansion I feel is essential in EL. Naval warfare brings so much to the game.

I'd say shifters are too: the winters get that much more interesting with it.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Did Forgotten ever get buffed? When they were first released, they felt super weak.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yes, but it was mostly bunch of little +dust changes to smooth things out. I think they're probably in the lower rungs of the tier list, but not unplayable - more like unreasonably intolerant of mistakes (not sure about multiplayer, as I suppose pillage could be shut down hard there).

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I bet Forgotten are really solid in Multiplayer. Anyone with experience care to chime in? I know that there used to be a few multiplayer games around here.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helion posted:

I bet Forgotten are really solid in Multiplayer. Anyone with experience care to chime in? I know that there used to be a few multiplayer games around here.
Necrophages and Drakken tend to be fairly dominant in my experience. I play Drakken mainly and a friend of mine is very dangerous with the Necrophages.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
uh soooo

has anyone else noticed that, if you've preordered the DLC, it's in the game now?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Yup. One cool thing I learned about the Vaulters is that I was able to use the Argosy as a forward base for teleportation, letting me beam in troops from any of my gates, sort of like the Hivers in Sword of the Stars. This turned out to be kind of a huge deal.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Combine it with neutral pirates through diplomacy and invade through pirate systems.

I was a beta tester on this expansion and we've been given the clear to talk about it if you have any questions.

Though do note I'll be offline for most of the weekend.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 19, 2018

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Yes, but it was mostly bunch of little +dust changes to smooth things out. I think they're probably in the lower rungs of the tier list, but not unplayable - more like unreasonably intolerant of mistakes (not sure about multiplayer, as I suppose pillage could be shut down hard there).

There starting melee units feel stupidly weak. Am I supposed to just ignore them and get better ones or is there some equipment trick for them?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

There starting melee units feel stupidly weak. Am I supposed to just ignore them and get better ones or is there some equipment trick for them?

You can equip them with an off-hand axe to get an extra combat trait (no cost to retrofit), but yea, the Forgotten military is pretty weak. It gets better once you progress through the faction quest and can equip your heroes with the Shadowstrike/Shadowguard swords.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

TalonDemonKing posted:

Apart from the free turn 1 retrofit mentioned above, they're okay but you have to be vigilant about their micro (don't have them tank needlessly, use terrain, lock enemies via melee, etc.), tank with the hero if necessary. The one thing they can't handle is tanks like sillics and you kind of have to get a feel which minor races are off-limits initially. Their mobility and speed is ace though and when facing a proper opposing army their Acrobat ability (passing through units) is amazing at having the entire ranged/support backline dissolve in no time.

In later era you want them in armor to tank the frontline (while retaining army invisibility), but really kinda cry inside and avoid meatgrinders when possible - use your invisibility to avoid disadvantageous fights and bait the enemy by having invisible reinforcements nearby (which do not show on the battle initiation pop up).

Their ranged units are bonkers, the secret sauce being their debuff stacks up to three times - you basically want to focus fire units one at a time and they'll simply melt. They're great on their own, help with your biggest weakness (tackling tanks) and make for some of the best Guardian-killers out there.

The flyers are great too, but extremely glass cannon (expect some losses even with micro). Apart from being amazing strategically (invisible warp speed pillagers/pearl thieves/scouts yes please), their strength is in the damage chaining trait. It's very good and easy to trigger, vastly more useful than the sweeps. You'll just melt through the opposing hordes, but take care not to attack fortified armies - even 1 meager point of fortification shuts this ability down and immediately makes them sub-par.

Try to keep them in your secret reinforcement stack - they can catch up to the frontline with their amazing speed and won't have to tank the first salvos.

All three are pretty nice once you get a feel for them, but you probably want to assimilate some tanky minors for garrison duty. Think of their style as high risk, high reward.

PS. You also want to minmax stuff so that pillaging takes just two turns. Then you're money.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's funny, naval combat and pillage are two things I studiously avoid; the first because I feel it's shoe-horned in, lacks synergy with existing gameplay, and totally irrelevant unless you force a map scenario where you HAVE to care; and the second because I feel that my hero/army always has something better to be doing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Honestly, I never really do pillage outside of the Forgotten. For them, however, it's a pretty good deal: it's buffed (both in income and pillaging skill), you're hard to catch (and able to infiltrate closed borders) and lets your units pay for themselves as you build up to your meticulous alpha strike.

The synergy of naval combat is preventing safe seaside retreats of the past. :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pre-ordered the expansion because Amplitude are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karzon
Oct 15, 2002

uber_stoat posted:

uh soooo

has anyone else noticed that, if you've preordered the DLC, it's in the game now?

I spent last night playing it as the Vaulters. I can't tell if it's the little changes that rolled out as part of the patch or the Vaulters themselves, but I really enjoyed it. Swarm missile look awesome but I have no idea about their effectiveness.