Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
this is the current hires list lemme know if ur not on it and you want to be:

Yolkfolk : physics
Butterfly Valley: physics
the littlest prince : anythign
guns for tits : maintenance duty or something
VikingofRock : physics
Akratic Method : I am terrible at my current job and aspire to be somehow worse in the service of XCOM
Cantorsdust : agent
crbrsd : scientist or whatever.
havent heard a peep : I will work to design bigger thicker loads and or dispense bigger thicker loads.
SavageGentleman : mutie
fruit on the bottom : I majored in theatre so I’m equally qualified for field or lab work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSykw8vOJ-Y
Investigation -- Grey Visitor Towers:
Owner: Diablo. Function: Slum.
S1: Fart Puzzle, Who What Now, ChickenHeart, Markoff Chaney
S2: Molothecat, mind the walrus, nnnotime, PenguinSalsa

Majority of our guys are pretty injured. Little under 50% fit for duty, but we can't hire anyone because there's not enough living space. 3 days still. Putting molo in was dumb, he's got 55/56 health, we could have sent somebody else.

It's that wide open park/field/rubble map.
Immidiate contact. Some real fuckin heroism guys.

Lets not pull a sekenr in the exact same place the exact same way. nnnotime takes a hit from a regular disruptor but the armor holds up.

WWN flys over and spots another god dammned worm skulking behind some bushes.
walrus notices a blue guys and applies mindwaves. This is a lot of guys so far.
no notices another one and lands a fuckin perfect gas grenade:
https://i.imgur.com/Pe77DhX.gifv

Rest of S1 moves to flank.
https://i.imgur.com/qehYwIZ.gifv
Penguin got a hit from the deadly pube ray, but it glanced off, barely caving in the helmet and only getting 1/5th closer to death.

Fart takes out the snake with precision. We got one yellow and one worm known to remain. I have Penguin check the scanner again, those are the only two readings that are in range, so walrus moves to take out the shielded yellow guy.
https://i.imgur.com/FKCRyks.gifv

WWN is in perfect position to huck some incindiaries directly onto the worm but I forgot to buy any more. I have molo pull a blind toss:

could be closer, but hell, I'll take it. Time to wrap it up.
https://i.imgur.com/iEYb008.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

right, so a pretty clean mission, although we did get some more wounds via alien ray. There's a possibility that we'll end up overextended but it shouldn't be a huge problem. The medical bay is currently overwhelmed with guys bleeding various fluids atm and some of the injured guys just gotta hang out not getting healed...

actual medical use is pretty staggering, and there are still more guys hurt who have to hang out in the second base because there's no living space in the first one:

Still, the toxigun has been a game changer as far as aliens go, it cuts thru shields wich is a pretty nice add on to the significant damage and its accuracy. Too bad it doesn't do poo poo to humans or I would dump most of our guns for that. Main drawback is ammo is expensive and takes time to produce. We're basically back to 0 ammo stores for it.

I'm gonna order some more grenades & reposition the craft we have, poo poo like that, but what do we want to do in the longer term?

Choose an Option:
  1. Raid:
    a) Psyke
    b) The Cult
  2. Get more / better agents
  3. Get more / better vehicles
  4. gently caress em, ⏭ & build up the bases / research

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 19, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
also something is wrong, I just noticed like 3 of our biochemists are missing!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

SniperWoreConverse posted:

also something is wrong, I just noticed like 3 of our biochemists are missing!

They're charging the JO crystal right now

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
never seen it before. We somehow only have 7 biochemists, we had ten for most of the game.

either 3 murders happened last base mission or something extremely fucky went down with the save. They aren't fired because I would be able to hire them.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I don't think they're dead because last base raid the casualty penalty was -10, I think that's one guy, unless scientists basically don't mean poo poo. That should have been only Graa.

e: duruuruuur

Big Beef City, A Pack of Kobolds, & Olanphonia were the missing guys. BBC is severely wounded, kobolds has a painful papercut, and Olan has a proportionally similar wound to Salsa. They're in medical.

So instead of getting shot in the head with a dimension beam Olan prob tripped on the way up the lift.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
If Option 4 means to rest of our guys I like that idea. But I don't have an overall sense of what pressure we have on us. We obviously need to buy time to research more ship technology so we can be ready for the upcoming more difficult alien raiders.

Earlier you mentioned something about just going after alerts and also trying to increase production of weapons so we own the market? Of course, if going after alerts has helped contribute to wounded troops then we need to rest for a bit.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

I like 4 as well, but 1b is always fun.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I think we have infestation mostly under control, and we have enough agents (who are all doing fantastic work). Research will bring better vehicles, especially once we get physics going. So I vote gently caress em, ⏭ & build up the bases / research e: changed my vote, see below.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 19, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

nnnotime posted:

If Option 4 means to rest of our guys I like that idea. But I don't have an overall sense of what pressure we have on us. We obviously need to buy time to research more ship technology so we can be ready for the upcoming more difficult alien raiders.

Earlier you mentioned something about just going after alerts and also trying to increase production of weapons so we own the market? Of course, if going after alerts has helped contribute to wounded troops then we need to rest for a bit.

every mission puts agents in danger. They only get hurt when I gently caress up, really, but i'm not gonna baby anybody. Waiting for alerts would actually mean potentially more missions. It goes sorta like this:

We just don't know how much pressure we're under, except that the aliens will basically ramp up their efforts relentlessly. If we're lucky and wreck up some UFOs and kill a ton of ground forces they may be less likely to attack, but that can only be temporary, and they will come back harder. That happened earlier in the game.

We just did like 4 missions in a row, and there may be more coming up very soon. No way to know except let time pass or proactively do investigations. I don't want to investigate because
* we have too many wounded guys, like 2/3ds or something crazy. A lot of them are pretty severe and will be out for a while still.
* i'm sick of doing back to back missions and want to get more guys hired.

Option 4 would save our money and let time pass so we can get a better idea about how many aliens may still be left in the city. 2 & 3 would cash in whatever loot and money we got right now for whatever. 1 would throw our remaining guys back into combat and potentially end up with loot or hurt / dead agents.

Wherever the aliens are, they're actually there in the different buildings. They do "stuff" and move to spread into nearby buildings, trying to take control of the orgs.

If we let them go the aliens will spread and make progress. If a civilian notices them we get an alert and we can clean them up.

If we are able to cut to the chase and figure out where aliens are before an alert it limits their ability to infiltrate, and it also makes the senate happy because people aren't flipping the gently caress out that their baby got eaten by multiworms. Problem is we need to figure out where they are by ourselves and if we do an investigation and find nothing the owner will be pissed. That bad will builds up over time.

Cutting the aliens off before we get alerted generally means a harder mission with more densely packed and varied aliens. But on the flip side we could pull off a headshot and get some days with no problems to heal up and gear up. We need to either see where aliens are getting dropped off by ufos, or look at the infiltration chart and guess. At this point i'm kinda at a loss about what's going on. The infiltration numbers are getting to be the highest they've been so far and doing all these missions is not having the desired effect. They must be spreading out somehow. They have some kind of toehold somewhere, but all I know is the infiltration graph and what I noticed last time there were UFOs.

The infiltration graph is always lagged out timewise and is showing us the recent past, not right now. The missions may have been succesfull or we might be right on the edge of getting turbofucked.

Physics is very close to getting the way UFOs actually work pretty much understood. Depending on the results of this round of research we may be close to serious breakthroughs, or we might also need some extra research to start coming up with the fuckin crazy poo poo. The aliens are def far ahead of us in tech. If we can't come up with some real next level innovations then we're going to have to play very defensively. We're still competitive on the ground at least. If we lose that then we might end up in a meatgrinder where a lot of guys die.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oh yeah, we are probably going to want to move to a more decisive solution irt psyke. They'll never stop dogging us unless we're able to break them. We already lost two good nerds to their bullshit, and 3 more are all hosed up and can't work (but coincidentally wouldn't have anything to do so it works out)

I forgot to add it in but we can also shoot missiles at their bases. It does a lot of economic damage but the senate is not a fan and if they have vehicles they'll probably retaliate and try to shoot us back.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

oh yeah, we are probably going to want to move to a more decisive solution irt psyke. They'll never stop dogging us unless we're able to break them. We already lost two good nerds to their bullshit, and 3 more are all hosed up and can't work (but coincidentally wouldn't have anything to do so it works out)

I forgot to add it in but we can also shoot missiles at their bases. It does a lot of economic damage but the senate is not a fan and if they have vehicles they'll probably retaliate and try to shoot us back.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the Psyke raids. I'm changing my vote: let's go gently caress Psyke's poo poo up, then build up the bases / research.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Surround their base with gunships and open fire all at once

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

VikingofRock posted:

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the Psyke raids. I'm changing my vote: let's go gently caress Psyke's poo poo up, then build up the bases / research.

Agreed with this. We need to get the research done to make our ships less poo poo and violently discourage our rivals.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
What are psyke's and the cult's current money situations?
I think they can only raid if they have a positive balance; collapse their buildings and it could put them in the red.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I'm not so much "injured" as "have really bad food poisoning" from some undercooked meat. Never preparing that totally ethical meat as steak tartare again.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Fast & Forwardious 8: The Fates of the Failsons

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SnotGrumble posted:

What are psyke's and the cult's current money situations?
I think they can only raid if they have a positive balance; collapse their buildings and it could put them in the red.

seems like maybe it costs money if they lose a raid, would make sense. We also did some damage on our raids. IIRC caving in a building causes insane financial damage,

a hospital costs more to rebuild than a slum tho, so I don't think it would be as catastrophic.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

The cult has too much money. I say level a couple of their buildings.

One raid should put Pyske into the negative.

Also, procreation parks? The future is weird.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SnotGrumble posted:

The cult has too much money. I say level a couple of their buildings.

One raid should put Pyske into the negative.

Also, procreation parks? The future is weird.

the ecology of earth is pretty hosed up and nobody does it in the old style except for slum people who live outside the walls anyway.

Right so we were close enough that I don't think it would be a big deal to do a little ffd

Physics Department:
Comfy Fleece Sweater
vortmax, Fister Roboto
Former DILF, Prince of Space

Choose a Research Topic:
  1. Dimension Probe: We need to build an automated device that can be sent through a dimension gate. This will provide invaluable data which can prepare us for manned missions
  2. Alien Artifact: an alien beam weapon (codename pubegun)
  3. Alien Artifact: an intelligent alien proximity mine
  4. Alien Artifact: a powerful alien grenade
  5. Alien Artifact: an alien energy shield
  6. Light Disruptor Beam: a beam weapon deployed on alien craft
  7. UFO type 3: alien inter-dimensional craft (codename Purp)
  8. UFO type 4: alien inter-dimensional craft (codename Shitpile)
  9. UFO type 6: alien inter-dimensional craft (codename Shawarma)

Science Department Report:

Physics scored a big one on this. Eng is 94% complete with a run of toxiguns. Biology has nothing to do until we recover more aliens.

2 Days until physics moves. still most of a week before new engineers get hired.

when the new physics lab comes online we can either have one big and one small lab (and hire 10 loving physicists), or we can decommission the small lab and slot in some additional security or something.

Personnel Report:
Still a lot of wounded guys. Everyone is very slightly better than before but it's not really meaningful. We may want to build another medical bay, if we can get utilization to 100% or less everyone will heal much faster.

Infiltration of Osiron seems to be tapering. Megapol might be ok, and Diablo might too, but we need more time to know for sure.

Choose an Option:
  1. Investigate:
    a) Diablo
    b) Osiron
    c) The Cops
  2. Raid:
    a) Psyke
    b) The Cult
  3. Terror Attack:
    a) Psyke
    b) The Cult
  4. Get more / better agents
  5. Get more / better vehicles
  6. gently caress em, ⏭ & build up the bases / research (write in what to build if u want)

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 19, 2018

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Once we get the large Physics lab up and running we can start researching the Dimensional Probe and the Light Disruptor Beam.

Until then lets research either 2. The Pubegun or 5. The Personal Shield with the small lab so we can stay toe-to-toe with the alien soldiers' weaponry.

Also looking at the infiltration charts, we really need to investigate Diablo: 1A

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
We can research anything, they technically fit in the small lab, but there's no problem putting those off in favor of guns if you want.

Usually if there's a powerful spike it seems to take longer than normal for the graph to normalize. Diablo might be ok, but they might not be :shrug:

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

1a - Hedge our bets on diablo being less infiltrated
2b - Biology needs more "samples"
3b - See above

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Raid the Cult, research the vehicle Light Disruptor Beam, and if it's not too horribly expensive, build a medical facility where the rest of our wounded are currently parked.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

My vote is researching the personal shield. Keep the boys alive.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

This thread bangs. Dunno if you are still accepting recruits but I'm looking to die for a good cause.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Vote Terror Mission - Psyke and then let everyone take the night off.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Raid Psyke, terrorize The Cult, and hire as many physicists as possible!

...I've gotta pay rent this month so I'm really hoping this X-com gig works out :ohdear:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Biology continues to play beer pong with sentient realdolls

You're welcome

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Kingfish posted:

This thread bangs. Dunno if you are still accepting recruits but I'm looking to die for a good cause.

you'll be an asset to the team sir :yooge:
bigly on the list

PathAsc posted:

Biology continues to play beer pong with sentient realdolls

You're welcome

hey! those fuckin androids are supposed to be in medical bay! Gridlocked is never gonna get another mission if hes out here getting high on electricity instead of getting his rear end bolted back on!

you guys area all over the place wit thse votes, it's overwhelmingly agressive on what to do in general, ok.

but i'm a little disappointed that OSHA fuckin runs the physics department now. Work starts on the personal shield, while everyone else gets ready

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
so the Cult has the most votes for some reason, and there's a 50/50 on doing a heist or just 9/11-ing them. Flip a coin so we'll raid. Maybe we'll find some drugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qonam-vAZPY
https://i.imgur.com/TFzDe0j.gifv
Raid -- Temple of the Visitors:
Owner: Cult of Sirius. Function: Temple of Sirius.
S1: Fart Puzzle, Who What Now, ChickenHeart, SnotGrumble
S2: mind the walrus, Powerful Two-Hander, nnnotime, Markoff Chaney

No idea why I loaded Markoff, he's wounded. Welp.

Usual seeming cultic shrine. I have No & Chaney shoot at the hateful curtains, as is our tradition, but they can't aim so hot and shoot each other some.

There's no aliens here. S1 splits up and half the guys casually leap down to the basement

Walrus opens a door and makes contact:
https://i.imgur.com/KHAFIfN.gifv

WWN also does the same, but is totally alone. Better play it safe.
https://i.imgur.com/mBpy2ml.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/eij3Kgb.gifv

Somehow WWN stunned 5/6 guys, yet one remains. Perfect line up for a sniper shot buddy:
https://i.imgur.com/2pzw89v.gifv

Meanwhile fart & chickenheart slink thru the basement. No creepy prison cells this time but there's basement offices with nothing interesting.

Back on the upper level we need to see what the gently caress is going on. No scanner and there's loving smoke everywhere.
https://i.imgur.com/IkAL6mF.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/ZpMKLaQ.gifv

that last part was interesting because the guy seemed like he was just gonna go berserk with plasma, but right at the end seemed to realize there were heavier weapons on the floor nearby and the plasma has started to burn through the armor layer.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
Biology is pleased to announce that our commercial-oriented Re-Meat project is coming asking nicely. We will begin small scale production test batches within the month's end. It may not win the war but it's a distillation of everything we hold dear. A true paragon of the wholesome values we are fighting for.

Too long man has made due with once-killed steak. Now, with XCom technology, we have completed the first trials to resurrect previously dead meats and endow them with sapience. Our patented psychic scanners show us that they think of nothing but questioning their existence and wishing only for the blissful release of death.

Mad you say? Was the first caveman mad when he feasted on the still beating hearts of his children? Was the founding Commander of the XCom project mad when he had the first captured sectoid brought before him so that he could lick the sweet fear juices from its naked, clammy body?

We are but the torch bearers of civilization, beating a path through the darkness of ignorance and fear. By God, humanity will sup upon the resurrected and existentially terrified meats of our lessers, or we may as well lay down our arms and let the invaders win.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

https://i.imgur.com/EisyuxH.gifv

mind the walrus also got some medals

loot is ok. We got one psyclone and a good amount of heavy weapons. More ammo is always good.

We use the ill gotten gains to pay for a medical bay in the second base. Kinda pricy, but probably worth it if we keep getting hosed up like this. I'm pretty sure all our psi able guys are hurt now.

what's next?

Choose an Option:
  1. Investigate:
    a) Diablo
    b) Osiron
    c) The Cops
  4. gently caress em, ⏭ & build up the bases / research (write in what to build if u want)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I should call my agent about that x-files gig, see if they’ve heard anything from the studio.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

Investigate the cops because gently caress da police

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I love how :rock: this gif is. Our sniper shots are so powerful that they knock down nearby curtains with the blast.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

you'll be an asset to the team sir :yooge:
bigly on the list

hey! those fuckin androids are supposed to be in medical bay! Gridlocked is never gonna get another mission if hes out here getting high on electricity instead of getting his rear end bolted back on!

you guys area all over the place wit thse votes, it's overwhelmingly agressive on what to do in general, ok.

but i'm a little disappointed that OSHA fuckin runs the physics department now. Work starts on the personal shield, while everyone else gets ready

Grid can htfu, no dickbutt doll until he brings me useful meat

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Build up the base and get our acquisition agents back on their feet. We won't be able to keep up with demand for our new product without more specimens and we can't get more specimens without agents.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’m thinking research the shwarma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

what's next?

Choose an Option:
  1. Investigate:
    a) Diablo
    b) Osiron
    c) The Cops
  4. gently caress em, ⏭ & build up the bases / research (write in what to build if u want)

4 Rest, Refit, and Research!

We must knit together the sundered flesh of our injured operatives, so that they may better deliver the secrets of extradimensional meats.

MilkmanLuke fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 20, 2018

• Locked thread