Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sponges posted:

Most of Ed Woods work has improved over time

I have the Vinegar Syndrome restoration of Orgy of the Dead. You'd think someone like me would enjoy watching topless women dance, but that was just painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

The music is fantastic and they shot on location. It looks great. Worth checking out if you like Coppola's other films.
And if you like curtsies, boy oh boy! :dance:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I thought of one. Gremlins 2, which looks like it got mediocre reviews upon release but many have come around on in the meantime. It's not a great movie, but it definitely succeeds at its clear goal of making a live action cartoon where every scene has some new stupid gag they're going for. There are so many great things about it: Billy's coworker talks with the swagger of a tough dame from the 40's like "His Girl Friday", Phoebe Cates gets interrupted and told there's not time for her to tell another long tragic story out of nowhere (like in the first Gremlins), and then you have blatant self promotion like when the bat/gargoyle gremlin flies through a wall and leaves behind the bat signal from the original Batman movie.

This is just my opinion, but I loved Starship Troopers, Speed Racer, and The Counselor upon release, but I know many critics did not. I wish Speed Racer had more success, I want to live in a world with a beautiful and ridiculous Speed Racer movie directed by the Wachowskis every 3 years or so. :( I would trade all of the Marvel and DC movies for this in a heartbeat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love Speed Racer so much. I'm a huge Batman fan and got caught up in Dark Knight mania and saw it four times in theaters. I don't think I had ever seen an episode of Speed Racer and I saw the movie four times that summer too.

Holy poo poo that was a decade ago this coming summer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Counterpoint: it is a great movie, and far superior to the original.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SleepCousinDeath posted:

hot take: Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad

i actually don't know if that's a hot take but they're streaming so

Here’s my hot take, it’s definitely not, BCS is a pretty and well-acted show with mediocre writing at best. Breaking Bad melts a body in a tub of acid 2 episodes in, Better Call Saul spends an entire season on a man changing law firms.

Jolo posted:

It's not a great movie,

You’re right, Gremlins 2: The New Batch isn’t great, it’s perfect.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Counterpoint: it is a great movie, and far superior to the original.

Any time someone praises Gremlins, I have a feeling they forget how dull the first half is.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Here’s my hot take, it’s definitely not, BCS is a pretty and well-acted show with mediocre writing at best. Breaking Bad melts a body in a tub of acid 2 episodes in, Better Call Saul spends an entire season on a man changing law firms.

I don't know if melting a body in acid says anything about writing quality.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Any edgy violence or drug scenes are, for me, offset by the tedium of Walter and Skylers' constant histrionics

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The_Rob posted:

I don't know if melting a body in acid says anything about writing quality.

Basically, poo poo actually happens in Breaking Bad, while Better Call Saul feels like an endless series of monologues about how bad of a person Jimmy is, punctuated by the occasional Mike scene.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm not sure why I started that paragraph with "It's not a great movie," I actually think it is a great movie. If they edited in that scene from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, I'd call it perfect.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I encourage everyone to check out Amazon’s Marvelous Mrs Maisel! I wish I hadn’t waited so long.

It’s rare to see a TV comedy so strongly directed: lots of bold camera and staging choices, tons of energy and big music cues. The lead performance is excellent, and it lands a lot of Mad Men-style cultural commentary without ever really being a downer. I don’t know how big the budget is, but they’ve spent it well on these heightened, brightly lit sets that are just fun. I thought the pilot was extremely well done, and the show has a great touch of over-the-topness to everything. I haven’t seen a show like it before.

Tony Shalhoub in particular had me laughing quite hard — him playing the piano in the pilot was hilarious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Any time someone praises Gremlins, I have a feeling they forget how dull the first half is.

I find it pretty fascinating because it's like watching a movie decide what kind of movie it's going to be.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I find it pretty fascinating because it's like watching a movie decide what kind of movie it's going to be.

It feels like Joe Dante gradually loses patience with Columbus’ script until he just yells “gently caress this” and goes hogwild with the Gremlins.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know why people are so hellbent on deeming BCS better than Breaking Bad or vise versa. They are both really goddamn good shows for different reasons, and are barely similar enough to compare.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It feels like Joe Dante gradually loses patience with Columbus’ script until he just yells “gently caress this” and goes hogwild with the Gremlins.

The sedate setup of Gremlins 1 really works for me, even if, again, the film as a whole is inferior to its sequel.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The kitchen scene in Gremlins is kind of a microcosm of the whole movie, where it starts off kind of slow and plodding before saying "gently caress it" and getting aa metal as humanly possible with the resources allowed.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I watched A Serious Man yesterday and thought it was fantastic. I like a bunch of the other films the Coens have done but I never got around to seeing this. I recall it having a more mixed/tepid response when it came out though. Although looking at reviews for it they seem mostly positive, so I guess maybe it's just in comparison to No Country For Old Men.

Anyway, people trying and failing to make sense of a cruel and nonsensical world is basically my favorite theme in just about everything, so I loved it.

Which reminds me, Stroszek and a bunch of other Herzog things (including Little Dieter Needs To Fly, which rules) are available for free on Shout Factory's website.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I encourage everyone to check out Amazon’s Marvelous Mrs Maisel! I wish I hadn’t waited so long.

It’s rare to see a TV comedy so strongly directed: lots of bold camera and staging choices, tons of energy and big music cues. The lead performance is excellent, and it lands a lot of Mad Men-style cultural commentary without ever really being a downer. I don’t know how big the budget is, but they’ve spent it well on these heightened, brightly lit sets that are just fun. I thought the pilot was extremely well done, and the show has a great touch of over-the-topness to everything. I haven’t seen a show like it before.

Tony Shalhoub in particular had me laughing quite hard — him playing the piano in the pilot was hilarious.

Yeah, I finished the season, and immediately rewatched it. And then watched it a third time. It's really a fantastic delight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yo The Polka King (on Netflix) is a total pro watch, even if you normally hate Jack Black. It's been compared to Bernie and that is spot on, down to both of them being true stories.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin

precision posted:

yo The Polka King (on Netflix) is a total pro watch, even if you normally hate Jack Black. It's been compared to Bernie and that is spot on, down to both of them being true stories.

I thought The Polka King was alright, but I don't think it's comparable to Bernie. There were good comedic moments in the former, but it lacks the quality drama of the latter, so it's kind of all over the place tonally when it tries for drama.

I mentioned this one previously, but haven't seen discussion on it yet. Everyone should check out Comrade Detective. It's a parody of detective shows and communist propaganda. It's an interesting piece of satire that was apparently based on an actual Romanian police procedural that was made by the state to promote communist ideas. Changing Tatum and Joseph Gordon Levitt do some good dubbing work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yea i just finished my second watch of Comrade Detective, it is just a thing of beauty

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I think I mention this every time Comrade Detective comes up, but I love the production approach they used. Like, if you don't already know how they did it, go in blind then come back and read about it after you finish the season.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
This is probably the wrong place to mention this and maybe somebody did elsewhere but I'm sure a lot of people remember that quiet little studenty film the man from earth. I caught it on tv late one night and was strangely taken by it no matter how crappy it might have been.

Well, turns out its 10 years old and theres a sequel! Unfortunately... It's awful

They've released it online at http://manfromearth.com/ and maybe elsewhere with a voluntary funding thing. Seems like they fancy being a tv show which I reckon I might have enjoyed once but is probably a decade or two late now. Plus no beheadings in this one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was cut together from an aborted TV series.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

X-Ray Pecs posted:

punctuated by the occasional Mike scene.

That's the whole reason the show is good. Mike fuckin owns.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I watched The Polka King too, and while I thought it was an interesting story I didn't think it was all that good of a movie. Definitely not as good as Bernie. It wasn't bad and I don't regret watching it or anything, but I just didn't find it particularly funny or well made. It is pretty funny that he actually got the Pope to meet a bunch of elderly Pennsylvanians by giving some people a suitcase full of money. I'm not that big of a Jack Black fan though, outside of Bernie and a few other things, so maybe that had something to do with it.

The Man Who Would Be Polka King, which is a documentary about Jan Lewan, is also on Netflix, but I haven't seen it yet. I feel like I'd probably be more tolerant of watching an actual crazy Polish guy dance around and scam people instead of Jack Black doing the same.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This is probably the wrong place to mention this and maybe somebody did elsewhere but I'm sure a lot of people remember that quiet little studenty film the man from earth. I caught it on tv late one night and was strangely taken by it no matter how crappy it might have been.

Well, turns out its 10 years old and theres a sequel! Unfortunately... It's awful

They've released it online at http://manfromearth.com/ and maybe elsewhere with a voluntary funding thing. Seems like they fancy being a tv show which I reckon I might have enjoyed once but is probably a decade or two late now. Plus no beheadings in this one.

I forgot they literally named the main character John Oldman

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Godzilla anime is as bad as it's boring.
Episode on is 99%nonstop talking
Badzilla.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Romper Stomper is on Prime (U.S.). I think this might be the first, or one of the first, roles that brought Russell Crowe to wide notice. A very young Russell Crowe plays the leader of a pack of skinheads. About half the film is a protracted street fight. It's pretty raw and violent, and rather good, I think!

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 19, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hell yeah, Romper Stomper is fuckin' great.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sweet, I can’t wait to revisit that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Amazon cancelled I Love Dick and John Claude van Johnson

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

GonSmithe posted:

They also cancelled One Mississippi. This is apparently part of a larger move, championed by Jeff Bezos himself, to move toward bigger shows with more mainstream appeal. So look forward to that $250 million Lord of the Rings series they're making.

Vulture had an article about this where they point out that streaming services are getting old enough now that they 1) no longer need to hold onto any niche thing they can get, and 2) have accumulated enough data at this point that they probably have a clearer picture of what keeps subscribers and what doesn't. So the days of practically any series getting at least 3 seasons may be over.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Patriot better get a second and third season.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Godzilla anime is as bad as it's boring.
Episode on is 99%nonstop talking
Badzilla.
Yeah, I was not a fan. I'm not an anime expert or anything, but I feel like there's a common issue in bad anime where every character stands around extending every scene by announcing their goals/backstory/etc. in the most ridiculously transparent way possible, and this movie is full of that.

And, while I think CG anime is worth pursuing, it still results in some super awkward and terrible looking shots every now and then. The framerate issues are just jarring sometimes.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I can’t think of a more boring thing than a LOTR tv show. And I like LOTR. But I’ve spent enough hours of my life watching stuff about hobbits and orcs and poo poo. I don’t need to see a detailed history of the Shire or the reign of Meneldil or whatever. The Hobbit movies were bad enough.

edit: Also, Patriot was renewed for a second season, which is all I really care about for current Amazon shows. I wouldn’t really count on getting a 3rd season though, with the way Amazon’s been going.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 19, 2018

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

GonSmithe posted:

JCVJ wrapped up pretty good but I was kinda pumped for THE TIME WAR

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I can’t think of a more boring thing than a LOTR tv show. And I like LOTR. But I’ve spent enough hours of my life watching stuff about hobbits and orcs and poo poo. I don’t need to see a detailed history of the Shire or the reign of Meneldil or whatever. The Hobbit movies were bad enough.

It could totally work if they made it super chill. I'd be seriously up for some quaint little hobbit adventure with them smoking pot and doing some minor adventuring.

It won't happen and it'll be EPIC!!!! and awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Gear up for the new Xanth Amazon Prime show