Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

1. fighting games are boring and tedious. fighting game fans have something wrong with their brains.

2. mobas are terrible

3. every JRPG is the same loving game and they’re all boring

A Fancy Hat posted:

As I get older, I can't play RPGs anymore. As a kid with endless hours, I loved every single one. I could play the random battles enough to level up the proper amount, I could hunt down every piece of special equipment in secret dungeons, and I could read every text box and understand the story.

Now?

I'm 30 and can't do it. I got an SNES classic and attempted Final Fantasy on that. I made it about 45 minutes and got bored with it. I tried Earthbound and even that doesn't hold my interest for more than 30-45 minutes at a time.

I've tried more modern games and even going back to older RPGs I loved (like Skies of Arcadia or Golden Sun). I just can't immerse myself in those worlds anymore. I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U when it was highly recommended. I enjoyed it, but eventually hit a wall where I'd have to level up a bunch and just gave up. I revisited it a few times and just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to tackle that part.

see unpopular opinion 3

try a western RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

oh yeah, eSports aren’t loving sports. seriously more power to these dorks for figuring out how to get people to pay to watch them play video games but know it is loving weird and they are not loving athletes

it is somehow weirder to me than professional let’s players, where there’s at least some performative personality aspect to it, where the person is actually doing something to warrant watching beyond just sitting and playing a video game.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Mandrel posted:

oh yeah, eSports aren’t loving sports. seriously more power to these dorks for figuring out how to get people to pay to watch them play video games but know it is loving weird and they are not loving athletes

it is somehow weirder to me than professional let’s players, where there’s at least some performative personality aspect to it, where the person is actually doing something to warrant watching beyond just sitting and playing a video game.

what about chess

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mandrel posted:

Sorry sports lost all credibility when they started showing poker tournaments on espn. Playing videogames is arguably more physically taxing than playing with poker chips and mind games

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

feelix posted:

what about chess

also not a sport/not athletes

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Sorry sports lost all credibility when they started showing poker tournaments on espn

also not a sport. and yeah ESPN shows loving eSports too now so what can you do, they’re an idiot network that licks butts

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
physical athletes are all doped to the gills anyway so who gives a gently caress about sports anymore e or otherwise

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

fridge corn posted:

physical athletes are all doped to the gills anyway so who gives a gently caress about sports anymore e or otherwise

sorry about high school

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm sure it's been covered but, Secret of Mana is a lovely game salvaged (if at all) pretty much only by art and music. This may be a more popular opinion these days.

Also finally gave a serious try to Terranigma and it's just insane how much better Illusion of Gaia was.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Martman posted:

I'm sure it's been covered but, Secret of Mana is a lovely game salvaged (if at all) pretty much only by art and music. This may be a more popular opinion these days.

Also finally gave a serious try to Terranigma and it's just insane how much better Illusion of Gaia was.

The true secret to Secret of Mana is that it requires friends to be fun.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mandrel posted:

sorry about high school

???

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Here's a spicey take for ya

Cuphead is full of goddamn bullshit on some bosses to artificially pad the length

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Mandrel posted:

1. fighting games are boring and tedious. fighting game fans have something wrong with their brains.

2. mobas are terrible

3. every JRPG is the same loving game and they’re all boring

see unpopular opinion 3

try a western RPG

On the other hand, JRPG's are great on handhelds and phones. They're perfect to load up for a few minutes and mindlessly grind up your guys while you're on the can.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

abigserve posted:

Cuphead is full of goddamn bullshit on some bosses to artificially pad the length

:stare:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Laslow posted:

On the other hand, JRPG's are great on handhelds and phones. They're perfect to load up for a few minutes and mindlessly grind up your guys while you're on the can.

Visit a lot of rest stops, do you?

Cuphead is padded in the boss and level difficulty, it's also really beautiful. I can forgive average level gameplay with great graphics, especially for a $20 or less game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

a bone to pick posted:

telltale games are absolute shitpiles

I thought this was the unpopular opinions thread!

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

abigserve posted:

idk i think only 2 or 3 bosses have rng bullshit but that's about it, it felt pretty fair throughout.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i want to play telltale jurassic park again and compile all the failed qte cutscenes where the cartoon parents look on horrified as their children are eaten alive / drown/ get crushed by cars etc but its probably not as funny as i remember it

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mandrel posted:

I dont really know how you can call something that has 90 second matches tedious, but w/e

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maya Fey posted:

i want to play telltale jurassic park again and compile all the failed qte cutscenes where the cartoon parents look on horrified as their children are eaten alive / drown/ get crushed by cars etc but its probably not as funny as i remember it
Just watch this Heavy Rain video any time you think about QTEs and you'll be fine.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't think that the term "e-sport" is supposed to necessarily imply that it is a physically taxing endeavor on the level of traditional sports. That has nothing to do with appeal for people that enjoy them, nor is that how they are marketed. I think it takes an incredibly level of hardheadedness and general ignorance to complain about e-sports on the grounds that they are not physical like REAL sports.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Martman posted:

Just watch this Heavy Rain video any time you think about QTEs and you'll be fine.

all that's missing is a couple of working men trying to cross the street with a big plate of glass

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The Harmontown podcast just called Dragon's Lair, the original QTE game, a competitive DVD menu, and they're right. QTEs have only been done well in Resident evil 4, and even those were mostly garbage.

Edit: for real, if you fail a QTE more than twice it should turn into a cut scene.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Oscar Wild posted:

The Harmontown podcast just called Dragon's Lair, the original QTE game, a competitive DVD menu, and they're right. QTEs have only been done well in Resident evil 4, and even those were mostly garbage.

Edit: for real, if you fail a QTE more than twice it should turn into a cut scene.

none of this is unpopular lol people hate qtes

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Horizon: Zero Dawn was a largely unremarkable but pretty entertaining game and the hype is stupid. Wouldn't even make my top 50 games probably

Doesn't mean it's bad. I'm happy i played it.

Infamous: Second Son is just not good.

Mandrel posted:

2. mobas are terrible

3. every JRPG is the same loving game and they're all boring

Agreed with all three, though some JRPGs I can tolerate if they really shine in some area that isn't the core gameplay. I'm enjoying Persona 5 but I doubt I'll ever beat it because the pacing is awful.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Maya Fey posted:

none of this is unpopular lol people hate qtes

Whoops, you're right. Ok, Dragon's Lair has always been garbage and arcade games suck.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

a7m2 posted:

Infamous: Second Son is just not good.

Why do you think this?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s me, the guy who actually likes QTE. I’m sorry that game developers have apparently been only listening to me for years.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

Why do you think this?

combat is terrible, controls are floaty, story is awful, writing is bad, voice acting is mediocre, the super powers were just fine, graphics are good but not good enough to carry it, lack of enemy variety, completely retarded ai

it was a really boring experience

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

fruit on the bottom posted:

It’s me, the guy who actually likes QTE. I’m sorry that game developers have apparently been only listening to me for years.

Can I convince you to convince them to stop relying on QTEs?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I don't mind QTEs as long as they're not too challenging and don't require super fast button mashing (light button mashing is fine). Last of Us does QTEs fairly well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The core gameplay of the last of us is really bad

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

a7m2 posted:

combat is terrible, controls are floaty, story is awful, writing is bad, voice acting is mediocre, the super powers were just fine, graphics are good but not good enough to carry it, lack of enemy variety, completely retarded ai

it was a really boring experience

fair enough, I enjoyed it and ended up being one of the only games I got a platinum trophy in.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

fair enough, I enjoyed it and ended up being one of the only games I got a platinum trophy in.

I exaggerated a little to make you mad but fair play. I genuinely don't like it but I accept that others do.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

What makes you like them? Genuinely curious. I don't hate them like a lot of people do but I find them completely unnecessary and not especially fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

What makes you like them? Genuinely curious. I don't hate them like a lot of people do but I find them completely unnecessary and not especially fun.

It adds some interactivity to cutscenes. They're nothing more than another tool that can make a game more or less fun depending on how its used.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

occasional QTEs that add some tension to a short cutscene are acceptable imo. like having to mash a button a bunch of times to pull yourself up a ledge before a monster grabs you or something.

the tomb raider reboot did some stuff like that and they became less frequent over the course of the game as Lara became more experienced so that was kind of a cool way to do it I think

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Nioh kind of sucks because you are just fighting the same 3-4 guys over and over again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

The core gameplay of the last of us is really bad

It's actually ridiculously good. I have heard this opinion from others a few times and it's all them being huge scrubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I think the quicker we remaster classic video games the sooner we start getting poo poo that actually competes on quality

UT99 HD with matchmaking like COD