Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

gently caress, alligators can type now?

And they have strong opinions about ethics in swamp journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
groan

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im gonna make a podcast where every week we just talk about whether or not harry ord in turn-a gundam is blind

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

im gonna make a podcast where every week we just talk about whether or not harry ord in turn-a gundam is blind
Of course he's blind, have you seen how he dresses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Of course he's blind, have you seen how he dresses.

dont knock the bumblebee suit man

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Watching this

yo this shits loving hilarious

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

not true, We Hate Movies is loving hilarious

(and, while it's behind their Patreon paywall afaik, they did a side episode on the driver's license episode of DBZ)

e: hahahaha yeah, if you wanna hear three dorks who have never watched an episode of DBZ in their lives discuss the driver's license episode and try to figure out what in the Hell they just watched, it's under the $3 tier of their Patreon and it rules

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 19, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

where's 2017 and 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiqSPwQqdNI

pro click

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A podcast about people who hate things sounds like the worst. Enough with the ironic distancing from media bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

A podcast about people who hate things sounds like the worst. Enough with the ironic distancing from media bullshit.
we hate movies, do not actually hate movies, they have a lot of fun making jokes about weird bad movies and unlike a lot of hatestuff it isn't just pure whining about plotholes but just following the movie's thread of logic and making jokes about it. they also have a lot of episodes where they wind up kind of liking the thing they're reviewing, and they usually mention similar stuff that they do like. but 'kay.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That video reminds me I kept forgetting to post that the devil dash is one of the funniest things I've ever seen and it only got funnier each time a different devilman did it in exactly the same way.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Apparently, NutritiousSnack is a gator who tries to rile people up against stuff that they (and he) haven’t seen. So bear that in mind.

Same but I've clearly heard it and the defense is some vague 'he's a gator ergo'

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I normally get annoyed by killing your gays trope but considering basically everyone in the world but Satan dies and it happens so fast, I give this show a hard pass on being an actual example of the trope.

It also doesn't apply because 90% the cast is legitimately LGBT in some manner. That trope usually appiles to the fate of minor characters.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 19, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The only anime podcast I really listen to is Kanzenshuu

I listen to too many loving podcasts

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

we hate movies, do not actually hate movies, they have a lot of fun making jokes about weird bad movies and unlike a lot of hatestuff it isn't just pure whining about plotholes but just following the movie's thread of logic and making jokes about it. they also have a lot of episodes where they wind up kind of liking the thing they're reviewing, and they usually mention similar stuff that they do like. but 'kay.

imagine I said this but not in smart words

they very frequently do "We Love Movies" episodes about poo poo they think is rad as hell, like the Mortal Kombat movie

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If I misunderstood the point of the podcast based on the title of it then that's my bad.

Anyways, Devilman.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Buried Treasure was done by a guy who used to work for CPM, so :ms: there- he usually said as much in the articles, that he saw a given thing for the first time while picking through stuff CPM licensed back in the day.

e: also, ANN is super tied up with the anime licensing companies, so it's kind of a requirement that they don't acknowledge piracy, or they will seriously lose their whole entire rear end over it. Funi and CR in particular are both deeply in bed with ANN and deeply intolerant of piracy.

Daryl Surat had Neil Nadelman on his podcast years ago to talk about old lovely anime that was no longer available and at one point Daryl said something like "Anyway this crapfest is no longer available on VHS or DVD so if you want it, you're gonna have to pirate it"

And Nadelman quickly interjected, "As an industry representative, I cannot condone that"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was just thinking of this thread and all the LGBT talk this show has generated and then I thought "there aren't actually any gay relationships in this show?"

Ryo is Satan, and is neither male or female. Akira loves Miki, who loves Akira. Mido is in a relationship with that rapper and thinks about Akira's huge dong.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Alan_Shore posted:

I was just thinking of this thread and all the LGBT talk this show has generated and then I thought "there aren't actually any gay relationships in this show?"

Ryo is Satan, and is neither male or female. Akira loves Miki, who loves Akira. Mido is in a relationship with that rapper and thinks about Akira's huge dong.

You're forgetting the rear end in a top hat devilman who turns on Akira. His entire reason for turning in the first place is his best friend / lover being killed by a demon

he was very explicitly gay

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

EDIT: It has been utterly amazing how free of dumb takes Crybaby has been. ANN and someone just people horrified with the surface level content aside, most of the reviews or articles on this series has actually devolved into the deeper subject matter like LGBT and anti war themes and how it's actually reflected into the show (for good and bad) instead of vaguely praising the visuals or whatever.

The one take I have a problem with is the cyclical doom reading of the story, that Satan is fated to destroy the world over and over again. But the post-credits sequence showing that the moon doesn't get reformed by heaven and stays split in two. It proves that there is a persistent change even in spite of the apocalypse, so next time when Satan comes back and regains his memories the chance is there that things will be different.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 19, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

tithin posted:

You're forgetting the rear end in a top hat devilman who turns on Akira. His entire reason for turning in the first place is his best friend / lover being killed by a demon

he was very explicitly gay

Yup, I knew there was something I was forgetting! Just getting to that episode now on my rewatch.

Man, the first scene of episode 1 makes complete sense on a rewatch.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The one take I have a problem with is the cyclical doom reading of the story, that Satan is fated to destroy the world over and over again. But the post-credits sequence showing that the moon doesn't get reformed by heaven and stays split in two. It proves that there is a persistent change even in spite of the apocalypse, so next time when Satan comes back and regains his memories the chance is there that things will be different.

I've got bad news for what the two moons means

It doesn't get better.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I've got bad news for what the two moons means

It doesn't get better.

Er uh, NOT CANON

Unless of course there's gonna be a Violence Jack: Crybaby.

Alan_Shore posted:

I agree that people are way overreading queerness into characters saying they love each other, but the queer reading is still valid because there is a lot about character sexuality that's left open. Akira and Miko may show heterosexual lust, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be open to a homosexual relationship under the right circumstances either. Nobody comes down with a case of the Not Gays.

Ryo though is for sure, super gay for Akira.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 19, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Er uh, NOT CANON

Unless of course there's gonna be a Violence Jack: Crybaby.

I agree that people are way overreading queerness into characters saying they love each other, but the queer reading is still valid because there is a lot about character sexuality that's left open. Akira and Miko may show heterosexual lust, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be open to a homosexual relationship under the right circumstances either. Nobody comes down with a case of the Not Gays.

Ryo though is for sure, super gay for Akira.

Miko's deffo in love with Miki, Miki... eh? I don't think it's there, she strikes me as v hetero but that doesn't mean it can't be real in your head op

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
everyone is bi

love is what makes us human

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

tithin posted:

Miko's deffo in love with Miki, Miki... eh? I don't think it's there, she strikes me as v hetero but that doesn't mean it can't be real in your head op

Everybody in the show with an ounce of redemptive quality loves Miki.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Everybody in the show with an ounce of redemptive quality loves Miki.

this is true

Miki was the best thing in the show imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

tithin posted:

this is true

Miki was the best thing in the show imo

Miki and her family are the biggest improvement in adaption from the source material, and making Miki the moral core of the show really elevates the true emotional climax - and you know what I'm talking about.

Alan_Shore posted:

Yup, I knew there was something I was forgetting! Just getting to that episode now on my rewatch.

Man, the first scene of episode 1 makes complete sense on a rewatch.

Everything is much more emotionally resonant on a rewatch as well, with all the character motivations and backstory filled in. The scene where Mayuta raps for Miko is impossible to digest the first time around because it's so sudden, but the second time I got severely choked up, especially knowing what's about to happen to him. Actually my one big problem with the show is that they didn't make it easy to follow that Mayuta and Koda were different people, and that Koda wasn't just a transformed version of Mayuta the other rappers couldn't recognize. They left Mayuta's fate an open question for several episodes, and they both had the same hairstyle.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 19, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I agree that people are way overreading queerness into characters saying they love each other
*character literally turns to other character and says they love him, with romantic undertones*

"God, you guys are overreading it."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This show has loving amazing comedic timing.

Better than 90% of actual comedy anime.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
When the two girls said they were in love with each other I was like "yeah, cool" but I didn't really feel it leading up to it which, in general I just think most of the characters were super underdeveloped

Also hosed up but, bisexuals exist

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Endorph posted:

*character literally turns to other character and says they love him, with romantic undertones*

You really need to be more specific. The only same sex relationship with romantic undertones is Akira and Ryo's, and the only reason it never becomes explicit text is because Ryo doesn't believe in love. Then again this is all besides the point, who is or isn't gay doesn't matter because the central thesis is a universalized Christian influenced form of love.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

I think it's more like

*character becomes their true self, which is both and neither male and/or female, and professes love to a male character*

"God, this is so gay it's great"

Edit: Satan says he/she doesn't believe in love, but he/she does really, just didn't realize it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

The straightest thing that a man can do is to gently caress another man.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

I think it's more like

*character becomes their true self, which is both and neither male and/or female, and professes love to a male character*

"God, this is so gay it's great"

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You really need to be more specific. The only same sex relationship with romantic undertones is Akira and Ryo's, and the only reason it never becomes explicit text is because Ryo doesn't believe in love. Then again this is all besides the point, who is or isn't gay doesn't matter because the central thesis is a universalized Christian influenced form of love.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Srice posted:

The straightest thing that a man can do is to gently caress another man.

Are you talking about Kudo? Because I already said I forgot about that relationship

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ocelot kisses Snake because he's "pretty good," duh.

DisDisDis posted:

When the two girls said they were in love with each other I was like "yeah, cool" but I didn't really feel it leading up to it which, in general I just think most of the characters were super underdeveloped

They're both friendly to each other and spend all their time together with Akira before Miko becomes a devilman, and even after when Miko's resentments come to the foreground she finds herself being chummy with Miki in the locker room because it's impossible not to like her. They're both developed in very subtle ways, even down to their physicality. Miko is surpassed by Miki because they developed differently, with Miko being big and awkward while Miki grew up lean and light with a perfect runner's body. Even in spite of that they don't stop being friends.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for a more serious post, there are people in real life who identify as neither male nor female, and they are usually part of gay and trans communities because, those communities are open to people like that. dating an gender person isnt a gay relationship but it sure isnt a straight one either, and an agender person being romantically attracted to a man, is something the Queers can relate to

and who is or isnt gay matters a lot to some people. if you dont care thats one thing but acting like the read is 'reaching' is super lovely. if a guy and a girl are onscreen for five seconds together people act like it's a canonical relationship thats going to be the thrust of the show even if it isnt but two dudes can literally gently caress onscreen and there can be all sorts of complicated sexuality in the show and there's people rushing to go 'uhh, actually, i dont know if id say its GAY...'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Endorph posted:

for a more serious post, there are people in real life who identify as neither male nor female, and they are usually part of gay and trans communities because, those communities are open to people like that. dating an gender person isnt a gay relationship but it sure isnt a straight one either, and an agender person being romantically attracted to a man, is something the Queers can relate to

and who is or isnt gay matters a lot to some people. if you dont care thats one thing but acting like the read is 'reaching' is super lovely. if a guy and a girl are onscreen for five seconds together people act like it's a canonical relationship thats going to be the thrust of the show even if it isnt but two dudes can literally gently caress onscreen and there can be all sorts of complicated sexuality in the show and there's people rushing to go 'uhh, actually, i dont know if id say its GAY...'

I literally said the queer reading is valid. If you were referring to Koda then that's what was confusing to me, because his romantic interest in Junichi was a massive big time overtone.

What I mean about it not mattering who is gay isn't to disregard somebody's head canon or sense of representation, but that the point is to love anyone regardless of whether they're queer or cis hetero.

• Locked thread