Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
More Scott Pilgrim subtlety: in one panel of the original comic, Young Neil is reading a webcomic on his computer. In the movie, when duplicating that scene, they went to the trouble of matching the exact comic strip (it's Achewood, naturally)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ha, I love Achewood and never knew about that!! Nice one.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Patattack posted:

More Scott Pilgrim subtlety: in one panel of the original comic, Young Neil is reading a webcomic on his computer. In the movie, when duplicating that scene, they went to the trouble of matching the exact comic strip (it's Achewood, naturally)

wait is bryan lee o'malley a goon, i feel like 90% of the people ive ever seen who knew about achewood were goons

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Scott Pilgrim is cheating but sure: during this scene the mic check in the background acts as Scott’s increasing heartbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-aJ-2y5ICo

It’s insane how many details he crams into his movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Achewood was popular enough that when The Great Outdoor Fight book was published I found a copy at my local library.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's pretty much all Edgar Wright films. The dude loves syncing up character beats with music.
Hot Fuzz comes to mind, where after every death Skinner shows up in his car playing music with appropriate lyrics, and then, well, there's the entirety of Baby Driver.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hot Fuzz comes to mind, where after every death Skinner shows up in his car playing music with appropriate lyrics, and then, well, there's the entirety of Baby Driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8A254PJjWc

Edgar Wright is a genius.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

This can't be understated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks for reminding me “Every Frame a Painting” is over. :negative:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm still a bit disappointed he fell out with Marvel and didn't do Ant-Man, but even so, you can still see traces of his style in that and it's one of the better Marvel movies.

e: like that bit during the end fight where they play The Cure on an iPod, that's got to be his thing.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm still a bit disappointed he fell out with Marvel and didn't do Ant-Man, but even so, you can still see traces of his style in that and it's one of the better Marvel movies.

e: like that bit during the end fight where they play The Cure on an iPod, that's got to be his thing.

I fully believe the Thomas the Tank Engine gag(s) were 100% his, including the editing. The derail, even being spoiled in the trailer, is hilarious every time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The final battle is great in general.

I saw this on imgur before the movie came out, and I love it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Split has a fantastic performance by James McAvoy and the film points out several of the subtle moments. There are a few that I really like in the movie:

When two of the girls are holding the door back to prevent Hedwig from pushing into the room they are able to prevent his entry completely because Hedwig has the strength and mindset of a young boy. After Dennis gains control over Hedwig, he pushes the door and the girls back with little trouble because his persona wouldn't have issue with overpowering them.

Late in the movie, Dennis goes to a train station and buys some flowers. When he arrives at the train station he squints his eyes and removes his glasses, then in Patricia's voice, he says "Thank you Dennis." Dennis got them to the station but upon assuming control, Patricia squints because unlike Dennis she doesn't need glasses and her vision is blurred/unclear when looking through them.

I don't know how I missed this the first time through, but a cup is shown with a multitude (probably 23) of different tooth brushes. Each identity has their own toothbrush to use

In Star Wars: The Last Jedi, my wife pointed out that when Rey swims in the cave, she's a really clumsy swimmer because she's from a desert planet and had likely never swum before.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah that stuff actually makes me kinda wanna watch Split

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think Split is legit good and definitely worth checking out.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The ending of Split is Shyamalan as gently caress (in a bad way), but the scene in the middle where (minor spoiler)a psychiatrist tries to convince a collective of 22 split-personalities that their 23rd personality is just a figment of their imagination is Shyamalan as gently caress in a very, very good way.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I think my favorite Split little thing/theory is that James’ character is the boy that bumped into Bruce Willis outside of the stadium with the abusive mother in Unbreakbale.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

BiggerBoat posted:

I re-watched Burn After Reading yesterday, which I like more and more with each viewing and, like most Coen Bros films, has a ton of cool subtle poo poo in it.

In the opening scene, they tell Cox "you have a drinking problem" and at the end he's holding a tumbler in one hand and a gun in the other. Then he murders a guy in broad daylight with an axe while wearing a bathrobe.

Clooney's character in the second scene explains that he's never discharged his firearm but, if he were to do so, it would be instinctual and the training automatically would kick in. When Pitt's character comes out the closet he's hiding in, Clooney instantaneously shoots him.

Cox's wife in one scene is being told by Clooney that she hammers people and she gets defensive, saying "I...do...not....hammer!" and each word is punctuated by her hammering her fist on the table.

It was also funny, in light of current events, watching the CIA being baffled by the idea of the Russians being involved in anything.

Lot of subtle poo poo in that film. I notice more every time I see it.

My favorite little thing in Burn After Reading is that Tilda Swinton's character is not just a doctor, but a pediatrician. She's the iciest and most unpleasant character in the whole movie and she's supposed to be a doctor to children.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

synthetik posted:

I think my favorite Split little thing/theory is that James’ character is the boy that bumped into Bruce Willis outside of the stadium with the abusive mother in Unbreakbale.

It could work since it is in the same universe. Not too much of a stretch.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm finishing a rewatch of Lost and in like the second to last episode, Desmond cheerfully asks Kate how she's doing in while they're in a California jail. She flip's him off in the sign language he speaks best.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm finishing a rewatch of Lost and in like the second to last episode, Desmond cheerfully asks Kate how she's doing in while they're in a California jail. She flip's him off in the sign language he speaks best.

V sign and not the middle finger? That's a cute detail.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Jolo posted:

I don't know how I missed this the first time through, but a cup is shown with a multitude (probably 23) of different tooth brushes. Each identity has their own toothbrush to use

And the one with the OCD has his own holder, I believe.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Peyton Reed talked was open about what his and what was Wright. That particular moment with The Cure was him and all the stuff with Michael Penã was his, which was odd as I thought for sure it would be Wright's doing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's internet cool to hate on M Night but I really love Unbreakable and it is full of subtlety. Anyone who likes it should definitely watch Split. And soon, before the third movie, Glass

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Bloop posted:

I know it's internet cool to hate on M Night

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are universally loved. Signs is damned good if you can overlook the water issue (this will help). Split wasn't seen by enough people, but I've never heard anyone who saw it say anything bad, and The Visit is fun/scary in a "lighthearted haunted house" way.

Everything else blows redundant amounts of rear end.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the superb film “Cool World” Holli Would’s name sounds like “Hollywood” when said out loud.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

unbreakable sucked

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

rydiafan posted:

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are universally loved. Signs is damned good if you can overlook the water issue (this will help). Split wasn't seen by enough people, but I've never heard anyone who saw it say anything bad, and The Visit is fun/scary in a "lighthearted haunted house" way.

The Signs theory is neat but there was a heavy emphasis on the crop circle thing in promotional material. That puts you straight into an "aliens" mindset. The M. Night twist (if this is true) is saying "in this world, these aliens are actually the entire basis for demonic myths from sleep paralysis to vampires to imps to fiery wheels in the sky". So of course they are vulnerable to "holy" water.

I liked The Village. It was a Twilight Zone episode, but it was good. It was amazingly sad how ignorant they kept their children just to maintain the illusion. When the twist hit, I just nodded because it made sense. I want the twist to be that there is no twist.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rydiafan posted:

The birthday party scene in Signs is the only time a movie ever freaked me out. That movie was fantastic until it stumbled hard at the end.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Sometimes, I feel bad for M. Night, because I think he got pigeonholed into being the "twist guy" and felt it necessary to include a twist into most movies he did, in one way or another.

Then I saw Avatar in theaters, and sometimes I don't feel so bad.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Aleph Null posted:

I liked The Village. It was a Twilight Zone episode, but it was good. It was amazingly sad how ignorant they kept their children just to maintain the illusion. When the twist hit, I just nodded because it made sense. I want the twist to be that there is no twist.

It's actually how I experienced it at the theatre. Came in a few minutes late so I missed the tombstone and just took them to be hardcore Mennonites or such. So the final reveal was just what I'd assumed.

The visual design was great too.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Leavemywife posted:

Sometimes, I feel bad for M. Night, because I think he got pigeonholed into being the "twist guy" and felt it necessary to include a twist into most movies he did, in one way or another.

Do you mean The Last Airbender?

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Patattack posted:

You are correct! Scott Pilgrim is basically Subtle Movie Moments: The Movie. I just learned about this one today: before Sex Bob-omb got signed, they used Lame Brand amps, but after they got signed, they used Sweet Brand amps.

Funny thing is, the 'Lame Brand' amps are all rebadged 70's/80's Peavey amps (Not lame, actually) and the 'Sweet Brand' amps are Marshall (overrated as hell). Perhaps that in itself is a subtle nod?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Sid Vicious posted:

Do you mean The Last Airbender?

Well it would have been called Avatar if James Cameron wasn't a dick. Can't be confusing people with two different movies with the same name. I wish he had sent a C&D to the internet just to prove how dumb he sounds.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Leavemywife posted:

I saw The Happening in a real cinema I paid actual money to go into, I have zero forgiveness in my heart for M Night.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Memento posted:

I saw The Happening in a real cinema I paid actual money to go into, I have zero forgiveness in my heart for M Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rq-7zEVuwI
ACTING

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Memento posted:

I was going to go see that with a buddy. Then, my brother, returning from the movie, gave us a synopsis and we mutually agreed to avoid that movie.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Leavemywife posted:

I was going to go see that with a buddy. Then, my brother, returning from the movie, gave us a synopsis and we mutually agreed to avoid that movie.

I went with a girl I had just that weekend started dating. Neither of us were comfortable enough with each other yet to talk during the film, but at the end of it she had a funny look on her face and I asked her if something was wrong. She said "That... that movie sucked, right?" and I was very relieved to confirm with her that yes, it was hot garbage.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Village was when I said "nope, done."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs1214p_qpw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
M Night Shyamalan is probably the single director with the highest quality gap between their best and worst movies