Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Oxxidation posted:

i sphinx you should settle down

you seem a riddle bit upset

:alexa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

persona 5 is significantly better then any trails game and I like that series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Better at what?

Story? Lord no.

Gameplay?

They are about on par though Trails is a little more interesting

Persona 5 has more style but that is it

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

Spoiler Town: The entire third act is a dumpster fire in terms of plot, outside the November 19th/20th stuff and the associated Palace, even going as far as sacrificing some of the goodwill from the first 2/3ds of the game on the alter of making Shido's conspiracy responsible for basically everything that happens to the Phantom Thieves after Kamoshida.

It was pretty ridiculous the writers felt the need to create some kind of "we stopped all the lovely adults forever" ending. I would have preferred the more realistic message that society's problems couldn't be fixed that easily and there is more than one 'bad guy' making other people's lives miserable. Then the writers wouldn't even have to pretend the Phantom Thieves were done stealing hearts. Aren't people still going to report their problems to the Phansite?

P5's ending reminds me of the vampire stories where if you kill the first vampire, everyone magically goes back to normal.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have Problems with this game but I still think it's really good tbh

e: and I think Persona 3 is actively kind of bad at this point

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dragon_pamcake posted:

It was pretty ridiculous the writers felt the need to create some kind of "we stopped all the lovely adults forever" ending. I would have preferred the more realistic message that society's problems couldn't be fixed that easily and there is more than one 'bad guy' making other people's lives miserable. Then the writers wouldn't even have to pretend the Phantom Thieves were done stealing hearts. Aren't people still going to report their problems to the Phansite?

P5's ending reminds me of the vampire stories where if you kill the first vampire, everyone magically goes back to normal.

What are you talking about? The fact that the mc ends up having to go to juvie and it taking pretty much everything your social links could do to get you out is a sign that the system still is broken. It is just that without Shido and Yaldabqaoth out of the picture it is now possible for more conventional means of change to actually occur.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I just finished this game yesterday and I need to discuss ending poo poo somewhere, hi thread

I gotta say I like how you make Shido confess to murder on live TV but it turns out that lol nothing matters. Felt very reminiscent of real-world politics as of last year or so.

and like how the final boss was basically the concept of depression and personal helplessness. I've fought God in several JRPGs in my life and this was maybe the one time it didn't feel completely incongruous with the game's themes.

I dunno, I can see how someone might say the plot went off the rails in the third act, but I didn't mind it all that much. Escalating everything higher and higher and higher right at the end is a time-honored JRPG tradition, after all. I dunno maybe I've just read too many Stephen King books and expect stuff like this v:v:v

e: I even liked how everything bad that ever happened was revealed to be Shido's Fault, honestly, because it kind of drove home how thoroughly your team had been duped. This guy was playing you for a sucker before you even knew his name. I usually hate that kind of plot development and can understand why people were turned off by it, but in my opinion it worked in this case.

Shinjobi posted:

There was a pyramid. I did not care for its boss. That's all I've got for today.

my wife looked up from Stardew Valley and was like "what are you doing" and I was like "oh, I'm fighting someone's nightmare about their dead mom as a giant angry sphinx monster" and she just shook her head

She did not like how everything in this game was creepy and symbolic. I tried to make her watch at the beginning, but as soon as she saw Pervert King Kamoshida she checked out.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 17, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

One more ending note: y'know what I didn't notice until I beat this game? That the only non-Phantom-Thief social links I'd managed to max out were Sojiro, Mishima, and Takemi.

So, like, at the end of the Yaldabaoth fight, when people are cheering in the streets, Sojiro finds Mishima in Shibuya and is like, "oh, you love the Phantom Thieves too?" and Mishima is like "yeah, I wonder how many other people's lives they've touched!" and then the camera cuts over to... exactly one other person. It's Goth Pedo Doctor just standing there cheering by herself, all like "wooooo I did unethical medical experiments on a high-schooler and then I tried to gently caress him and made SA Forums poster Loquacius intensely uncomfortable WOOOOOOOOO"

"I'm at least old enough to have graduated from med school and gotten disgraced from my job at a research hospital and I hit on a 16-year-old WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Kind of made me want to NG+ it up already so I can get more magical friendships, but I should probably wait at least a little while on that so I can play at least one other game on my new PS4

e: also they should have gotten Aaron Paul to voice Ryuji

loquacius fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 17, 2018

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I got into a relationship with the teacher and forced her into making me coffee and doing my laundry every single evening while I went to maid cafes, seedy bars, and "pretended" to be the boyfriend of two different women. Then I made her give me a "massage" after a long hard day of visiting "palaces" in order to "steal hearts" with my partner, a blonde in a skintight latex suit. Finally I force her to make me more coffee so that I can go back to the palace again the next day for another caffeine-fueled bender.

I'm a bad person.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Persona 5: I'm 16 and can't stop cheating on my s&m obsessed ~30yo bang-maid gf who is also my teacher.

This game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

romancing saga 2

please don't troll here

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like the P5 cast but they're less cohesive as a group compared to P4; the cast feels pretty fragmented even during big 'group' scenes like the beach or the school trip. It's basically Ryuji + Mishima (sometimes with Yusuke), and then the girls are all isolated because you need the opportunity to solo hang with your girlfriend. And during plot beats you have 2-3 loud voices and the rest chime in with an opinion every once in a while.

P4 had a lot of similar issues, but the group does have better synergy, even if half of it was wasted on bad jokes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hikaki posted:

I'm a bad person.

once I figured out Kawakami was a romance path I stopped doing her social links, but being able to make her do your laundry is a lifesaver

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

loquacius posted:

once I figured out Kawakami was a romance path I stopped doing her social links, but being able to make her do your laundry is a lifesaver

You can just not date her, which you should do because Makoto or Futaba or Haru are the most correct choices :colbert:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

NachtSieger posted:

You can just not date her, which you should do because Makoto or Futaba or Haru are the most correct choices :colbert:
This is your weekly reminder to please not date your socially-crippled younger sister.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

NachtSieger posted:

You're a bad man if you date your little sister.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
date ryuji

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Spuzzz posted:

I’m being a scumbag and dating everyone in my new game plus run but I still won’t date Futaba. Can’t date little sis.

Oxxidation posted:

date ryuji

I took Ryuji to Dome-town and he was like, “Man it’s all couples here, I wonder what everyone thinks of us. Oh well it’s time to ride the roller coaster dude.”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I took Ryuji to Dome-town and he was like, “Man it’s all couples here, I wonder what everyone thinks of us. Oh well it’s time to ride the roller coaster dude.”

he's such a gentle idiot

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Oxxidation posted:

date ryuji

not an empty quote

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

I dated Makoto because she is basically every girl I've actually dated in real life, plus my MC was also an honor student

but yeah I was mostly squicked out enough by Kawakami that I didn't want to pay her 5 large to not do my chores

Paying her the exact same amount to yes do my chores was fine though

Spuzzz posted:

Futaba is only like one year younger than MC I think??? I dunno I only got to rank 5 or so with her (due to not being nice enough to hang out with her for a long time) and things weren't that sibling-ish yet at that point

def not as gross a choice as Kawakami or Takemi IMO

How old is Chihaya supposed to be anyway, she was the most age-ambiguous one

e: I felt really bad friend-zoning Ann, but I liked her social dynamic with the entire group too much to throw one specific romance into it

Like, she gives Ryuji poo poo all game, but her sobbing her eyes out when she thought he was dead almost set me off too :smith:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 19, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Futaba is an odd case, because to some people she reads as "little sister" and to others she reads as "quirky friend you are supportive toward". The latter people obviously have no issue dating her, which really grosses out the former people.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

Futaba is only like one year younger than MC I think??? I dunno I only got to rank 5 or so with her (due to not being nice enough to hang out with her for a long time) and things weren't that sibling-ish yet at that point

def not as gross a choice as Kawakami or Takemi IMO

It totally is because Futaba's not just young, she's also socially maladjusted and recovering from severe emotional damage, so getting serious with her has tons of icky/exploitative undertones that aren't even present in the Kawakami romance (who I've heard wisely cuts it off at the end of the game until the MC is older).

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

loquacius posted:

How old is Chihaya supposed to be anyway, she was the most age-ambiguous one

Chihaya’s in her real early 20s at oldest. She mentions coming to Tokyo almost right after high school to escape her reputation as some kind of freak and is only saved from having to work at a hostess club or worse by the guy who makes her the central figure of his scam/cult. He reads her ‘fresh off the boat’ status like a book and in the moment she mistakes it as him having similar abilities to her instead of just a canny conman reading obvious signs. I don’t think any mention is given of how long she’s been at it, but it’s implied it’s just long enough to be starting to understand what she’s really wrapped up in.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Also Sojiro literally asks you not to date Futaba, and I respect Sojiro :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

It totally is because Futaba's not just young, she's also socially maladjusted and recovering from severe emotional damage, so getting serious with her has tons of icky/exploitative undertones that aren't even present in the Kawakami romance (who I've heard wisely cuts it off at the end of the game until the MC is older).

I dunno, maybe I just don't know what to look for, but after you heal her heart and especially after her Rehab Week, she doesn't really read to me as "damaged" at all, or so vulnerable that dating her is Actually Unethical :shrug: She's one of the most outspoken and competent team members and doesn't come off as timid or anything. I didn't finish her social link, though.

also every romance option in the game with the exception of my waifu Makoto is recovering from severe emotional damage of some type AFAICT

(Makoto is just tired of doing whatever adults tell her so that maybe they'll say nice things to colleges about her and man does that strike a chord with my teenage memories)

e: Come to think of it though I could understand judging people for picking Futaba if you take into account the established stereotypes about people who like Japanese media at all and use those as a starting point

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Uh, everybody knows Kawakami is the One True Waifu because she actually does all of the Waifu things (cleans your clothes, cooks food, makes coffee, massages your shoulders) on top of running cover for you at school/sabotaging your classes so you can get personal/Phantom Thieves business done.

You say that Makoto will take a hit for me if I go through her S.Link? Sorry, I'm rolling through Palaces with my hot boyz+catte who will also do that poo poo for me too.

Realtalk: It's definitely squicky in context, but since I typically play MCs in Persona as myself (and I am definitely not a high schooler anymore) that was the S.Link+Romance option that I would've wanted.

Xad posted:

Also Sojiro literally asks you not to date Futaba, and I respect Sojiro :colbert:

CoffeeDad Best Dad, and you better not cross him!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Oxxidation posted:

That's the issue I take with it too. Along with age, she's someone who was traumatized at a young age and in the course of the game only really takes a few steps towards improving. She doesn't seem like she stable enough to start a relationship within that timeframe. Maybe if it took place after a few years, it'd would be more appropriate.

Then again, I romanced Takemi in my playthrough, so I don't know if I'm really in a position to critique.

Joker: "Look, I'm only dating these girls so they'll give me gifts that I can take into New Game Plus so I can build friendships with them faster. That way, I have more time build friendships with other people so I can power up all my Personae!"

LuiCypher posted:

Realtalk: It's definitely squicky in context, but since I typically play MCs in Persona as myself (and I am definitely not a high schooler anymore) that was the S.Link+Romance option that I would've wanted.
:same:

loquacius posted:

Like, she gives Ryuji poo poo all game, but her sobbing her eyes out when she thought he was dead almost set me off too :smith:

What I can't believe about that scene is that everyone's devastated when they think he's dead, but then it turns out he was fine; he just got spit out a few yards away. Then they all get mad at him, knock him out via a transition, and leave him there unconscious against a lamp post while they all go home. Like in my head I'm thinking, 'What he had a concussion, and knocking him out is what ended up killing him?'

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I've wanted to bang my teacher in every single persona game, and Persona 5 finally delivered on that promise so stfu prudes

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I've wanted to bang my teacher in every single persona game, and Persona 5 finally delivered on that promise so stfu prudes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

What I can't believe about that scene is that everyone's devastated when they think he's dead, but then it turns out he was fine; he just got spit out a few yards away. Then they all get mad at him, knock him out via a transition, and leave him there unconscious against a lamp post while they all go home. Like in my head I'm thinking, 'What he had a concussion, and knocking him out is what ended up killing him?'

Yeah it was a great setup, but the resolution was incredibly anime

Like, the reason he almost died is that he was saving everyone's life, not that he was taking a dumb risk for no reason. You're friggin' welcome, idiots.

The correct response of course would have been to group-hug him while continuing to call him a loving moron

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

:swoon:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Xad posted:

If nothing else, Respect Sojiro.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Sojiro told me it wouldn't be so bad if I did, so maybe you all messed up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Does this depend on your current social link level with Futaba when you max out Sojiro, because he told me to back off too

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

loquacius posted:

Does this depend on your current social link level with Futaba when you max out Sojiro, because he told me to back off too

Dunno if there's different lines. I figured everyone got the one that ends with 'maybe that wouldn't be so bad' but I guess not.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm still waiting for Futaba to bounce back, but it's kinda funny that one dungeon is finally putting together some pieces of the story. Like, up to this point it felt like three separate plot threads would never connect, but through this dungeon I can see them all coming together.

Hope my theory pans out!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

loquacius posted:

Yeah it was a great setup, but the resolution was incredibly anime

Like, the reason he almost died is that he was saving everyone's life, not that he was taking a dumb risk for no reason. You're friggin' welcome, idiots.

The correct response of course would have been to group-hug him while continuing to call him a loving moron

Ryuji is the Rodney Dangerfield of Persona 5. He gets no respect.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I think everyone was just remembering the same line in different ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGvgjkrulOI&t=2521s

I guess he's okay with it???

Shinjobi posted:

I'm still waiting for Futaba to bounce back, but it's kinda funny that one dungeon is finally putting together some pieces of the story. Like, up to this point it felt like three separate plot threads would never connect, but through this dungeon I can see them all coming together.

Hope my theory pans out!

With where you are in the game you might want to avoid reading like this entire page, sorry

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been avoiding the black bars. Comes with the territory of starting the game late.

No harm no foul, friend.:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Saint Freak posted:

loquacius posted:

He tells you that it wouldn't be so bad if you max out his Social Link, regardless of your current dating status with Futaba. He does tell you to not date her shortly after she's introduced, however.

So max out Coffee Dad's S.Link first to get the green light!