Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Today, the windshield on the crown vic that has been cracked since August finally broke through. Cracked from lower passenger corner all the way up to the rearview mirror, and I noticed actual movement on the mirror when driving over even small bumps, or hitting high-pressure air like on the freeway. Even though I have glass coverage through USAA, I just started that insurance plan literally last week and I didn't want to make a claim so early, so I paid Safelite their $150 for a new windshield. Fuckers left a lot of black urethane residue all over random spots of the windshield itself, and sitting there for an hour watching them off-and-on while waiting, they were clearly training two new people and also loving around a lot. Luckily they were so slapdash that they left a retractable razor scraper in my cupholder, though, so that took care of the urethane spots and also free scraper :whatup:.

On Sunday, barring any fedex fuckups for their friday delivery (they will gently caress up, they always do), I'm going to be doing a complete suspension and brake refresh. Shocks/Struts/Rotors/Pads, and also urethane roll-bar bushings from Moog that have been sitting on a shelf for six months. If my W-2's ever show up, I'll have money to buy and install some new high-treadwear tires, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fermented Tinal posted:

:swoon: You made absolutely the right choice in keeping the wheels.

There never was any doubt :c00l:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Today, the windshield on the crown vic that has been cracked since August finally broke through. Cracked from lower passenger corner all the way up to the rearview mirror, and I noticed actual movement on the mirror when driving over even small bumps, or hitting high-pressure air like on the freeway. Even though I have glass coverage through USAA, I just started that insurance plan literally last week and I didn't want to make a claim so early, so I paid Safelite their $150 for a new windshield. Fuckers left a lot of black urethane residue all over random spots of the windshield itself, and sitting there for an hour watching them off-and-on while waiting, they were clearly training two new people and also loving around a lot. Luckily they were so slapdash that they left a retractable razor scraper in my cupholder, though, so that took care of the urethane spots and also free scraper :whatup:.

On Sunday, barring any fedex fuckups for their friday delivery (they will gently caress up, they always do), I'm going to be doing a complete suspension and brake refresh. Shocks/Struts/Rotors/Pads, and also urethane roll-bar bushings from Moog that have been sitting on a shelf for six months. If my W-2's ever show up, I'll have money to buy and install some new high-treadwear tires, too.

Going to feel super satisfied when it's all said and done though.

Today I ran a little ozone generator I bought for 30 minutes in the Crown and it made a dramatic difference. I'm going to see where the smell is tomorrow and maybe run it again. These things are bananas for killing odors though holy poo poo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Let me when you're buying hog ring pliers so that you can completely remove the fabric covers of your seats and headrests so that you can run them through your washing machine for a full and thorough cleaning.

At one point I'm in my back yard staring at my 4runner with all the seats looking like a skinned animal ... with a pile of 8 year old seat fabric covers and head rests wondering if I can get these fuckers back on. I ran them through degreaser, vinegar, then some oxyclean/detergent in the washing machine. The amount of work was stupid but the results made me feel it was worth it. Not something I would do for a 8 year old car again but maybe for a classic car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't run ozone generators 100% of the time, though. Eats rubber and fabric backing. However, fantastic tools.

Anybody know of a good, cheaper home one?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Went to Costco to get new shoes on the outback.

Started going home, hear a faint whipping sound and felt a slight vibration on the freeway, heralded by a TPMS light.

Went back to Costco to get a rebalance and refill. :negative:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Don't run ozone generators 100% of the time, though. Eats rubber and fabric backing. However, fantastic tools.

Anybody know of a good, cheaper home one?

Yeah just a 30 minute shot with 10 minutes with the car on and A/C running. I bought and used this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAP7388

Small but seems to work really well, and has a boat load of positive reviews too. Since I'm trying to be a cool import guy I figured I'd just buy one outright and see how it works out rather than paying the same amount to rent a big time one.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Baby sized BFG AT's make everything look cooler. My mums toying with getting a set on her TDI Tiguan, Not because she needs the offroad ability, but because they look cool.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Real post:

I Lowered it :lol:

Thats with some OME 600kg coils in the rear. Fantastic for touring when i've got the kimberley on the back or the roof top tent and shes full up with gear, but empty and around town it was absolutely awful, harsh and kidney bruising in the rear, especially on Adelaides glass smooth roads.

So I pulled the OME's out and dropped in a set of Dobinsons 200kg constant load, 30mm lifted coils into it and it came out absolutely PERFECT

First time I've ever seen an unladen 100 sitting dead level!

And the important heights, rim to guard (in mm for those who use the wrong measuring system), before in green and red after.

Apparently Im the only person in the history of Dobinsons in Adelaide who's walked in and asked for springs to make my landcruiser LOWER :v:

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Tried to press out the lower ball joints on the 2002 Dodge Dakota. That was a no go, had to have the shop do that.

But found a leak in brake hard line (OSHA approved containment method shown).

Cut out corroded section of line in tight spaces mostly by feel, on the side of the street, in 10 inches of snow.

Finé:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

God dang, that didn't look fun. How was the flaring part?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

It went ok, the bit to the left was the real pain as there was a bend and not a lot of clearance between the frame rail and all of the other random brackets. But once I got the flaring tool finally clamped on it wasn't too bad.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Verman posted:

Let me when you're buying hog ring pliers so that you can completely remove the fabric covers of your seats and headrests so that you can run them through your washing machine for a full and thorough cleaning.

At one point I'm in my back yard staring at my 4runner with all the seats looking like a skinned animal ... with a pile of 8 year old seat fabric covers and head rests wondering if I can get these fuckers back on. I ran them through degreaser, vinegar, then some oxyclean/detergent in the washing machine. The amount of work was stupid but the results made me feel it was worth it. Not something I would do for a 8 year old car again but maybe for a classic car.

Thinking about something like this for the AE86's seats. They're not as bad as the *could* be, but still 30 years worth of dirt and butts.

Speaking of the Corolla, the MR2 turn/cruise combination switch came in yesterday. Looks right. Will have to plug it in and see if everything works this weekend. What are the odds of the cruise control just working?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Darchangel posted:

Thinking about something like this for the AE86's seats. They're not as bad as the *could* be, but still 30 years worth of dirt and butts.

Its really not that bad. Its an afternoon of work at most. The nice thing is that its not like your engine/suspension/steering/brake components type of frustration. Its pretty easy. If your old seat covers are in bad enough shape, this would be the perfect time to replace them. And by seat covers I mean the actual factory fabric that covers the seat, not some cheap walmart slip on seat cover.

But really. Running them through the washing machine released the 6 years of dust, grime and farts from the previous owner who wasn't the cleanest guy and appeared to have owned a beagle based off the hair that was in the hidden nooks and crannies. When they came out of the washing machine they looked night and day different.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
I had a new thermostat installed in the car for about six hundred bucks at a motorsports shop called Imola Motorsports. They detailed the car for free as well so that's nice - it looks great now! Hopefully that takes care of the cold weather no crank no start issue that has been plaguing me, but I guess I have no idea if it will or not. The check engine light is gone now because of that service that was done.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
do beemer tstats cost 6 bills?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

nadmonk posted:

Tried to press out the lower ball joints on the 2002 Dodge Dakota. That was a no go, had to have the shop do that.

But found a leak in brake hard line (OSHA approved containment method shown).

Cut out corroded section of line in tight spaces mostly by feel, on the side of the street, in 10 inches of snow.

Finé:

Why didn't you take the wheel off to get in there easier?

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

sneakyfrog posted:

do beemer tstats cost 6 bills?

They cost about $397. The rest was for labor. I guess that's a fairly competitive price & they are not making all that much money on that transaction

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Holy gently caress, bro. It's time to learn to work on your car.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/thermostat-replacement-kit/11537831103kt/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A3th3r posted:

They cost about $397. The rest was for labor. I guess that's a fairly competitive price & they are not making all that much money on that transaction

Hahahahahaha

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I put in a new primary o2 sensor, a used set of OEM injectors, and changed the oil on the S2000 today. Oil seemed to have some silver floating around in it so I bottled a sample to have analyzed.
I suspect the motor is on it's way out so I'm putting together plans for a K24A2 since a used F20C is approaching loving $5k these days.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

I put in a new primary o2 sensor, a used set of OEM injectors, and changed the oil on the S2000 today. Oil seemed to have some silver floating around in it so I bottled a sample to have analyzed.
I suspect the motor is on it's way out so I'm putting together plans for a K24A2 since a used F20C is approaching loving $5k these days.

How hard is a k swap? Adapter plate for the trans and some new mounts? Any subframe changes?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The mounts are available off the shelf from a couple companies, $340 for the ones I'll get.
Trans plate is $320 and includes alignment dowels
Adapter to use F20C intake manifold is $130 and allows me to use the complete S2000 fuel system, including lines. Also allows me to use the S2000 water lines that are in the intake area.
Jumper harness to plug a RSX motor harness / ECU into the body harness to maintain full functionality is $220
Adapted flywheel to use the stock S2000 clutch/pressure plate/etc is $580, might be able to get one cheaper.

You can use the stock S2000 header if you cut the flange off, spread the middle two runners apart an inch, and weld on a K flange. There isn't much to be had gains wise from off the shelf headers for the F20C, so it's not as bad as you'd think.
Also need to baffle since it's mostly used on the track, which is another $350-ish for the Clockwise trap door baffle and a timing chain area baffle.

Kinda sucks, but it comes out very similarly priced to a used F20C, makes a loving huge amount more torque everywhere, has the ability to make more power cheaply with a different intake manifold / cams / injectors, and can be replaced for $800-$1200.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 20, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Sweet. Seems worth it if you’re keeping the car long term.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

A3th3r posted:

As a guy that owns an SBC,

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looking on rockauto, a thermostat for an 03 M3 is about $40 and only takes about 2 hours to change.

e: same with ECS. if you paid $400 for a thermostat, you got FUUUUUUUUUUCKED

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 20, 2018

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

As a guy that owns an SBC,

Yeah it's always amusing when people gripe about how long it takes when replacing thermostats or alternators. It's right there, two bolts and you're done, what do you mean??

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A3th3r posted:

I work at oreillys. A retail customer gets a tstat for 29.99, a shop will get it at a discount. Add in a bottle of pentosin unicorn blood concentrate for bmws at 12.99 or zerez premix for 21.99. The shop will usually up charge a bit for the parts, but not 8-9 times as much.

I hope they used a saddle when they took you for a ride, because god drat you need a new shop. Also, a thermostat won't cause a no start no crank in cold weather (unless bmw are a special snowflake in this regard). Thats classic battery failure symptoms. Once again, get a new shop.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 20, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That dude is trolling. He has like 5 posts in AI over 3 years.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Dick Dicer's Autoerotic Transaxle Emporium > What did you do to your ride today: It's a $600 thermostat, gently caress off poors.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 20, 2018

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Elmnt80 posted:

I work at oreillys. A retail customer gets a tstat for 29.99, a shop will get it at a discount. Add in a bottle of pentosin unicorn blood concentrate for bmws at 12.99 or zerez premix for 21.99. The shop will usually up charge a bit for the parts, but not 8-9 times as much.

I hope they used a saddle when they took you for a ride, because god drat you need a new shop. Also, a thermostat won't cause a no start no crank in cold weather (unless bmw are a special snowflake in this regard). Thats classic battery failure symptoms. Once again, get a new shop.

Poor person detected

A thing you should think about with these shops is that they need to earn a living wage in order to do the work that they do & it is ok to spend a little more on maintenance on a better car.
People who are too tight with the spending of the money never get to that point where they are earning the big bucks. When you make 70k a year at a fortune 500 company you can just do stuff like that. The car no longer has a check engine light on, runs like a dream, and is in great shape for its age. I understand that cheap, crappy cars like toyota tercels & honda civics do just fine with parts from O'reilly's. On another note, I do have a brother who likes to drive junkers and is really cheap sort of like Elmnt80 there. He does happen to be poor but he is ok with that. I guess I don't know what else to tell you but to just calm down a bit there & try to lighten up. It's just a car ;)

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 20, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Eh maybe. I mean check out this crap box nissan that showed up the other day. He couldn't even bother to keep it washed. (He was hauling crusty rotors in the trunk too. Who even bothers turning those anymore?)

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 20, 2018

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

A3th3r posted:

Poor person detected

A thing you should think about with these shops is that they need to earn a living wage in order to do the work that they do & it is ok to spend a little more on maintenance on a better car.
People who are too tight with the spending of the money never get to that point where they are earning the big bucks. When you make 70k a year at a fortune 500 company you can just do stuff like that. The car no longer has a check engine light on, runs like a dream, and is in great shape for its age. I understand that cheap, crappy cars like toyota tercels & honda civics do just fine with parts from O'reilly's. On another note, I do have a brother who likes to drive junkers and is really cheap sort of like Elmnt80 there. He does happen to be poor but he is ok with that. I guess I don't know what else to tell you but to just calm down a bit there & try to lighten up. It's just a car ;)

https://i.imgur.com/btyRK5l.mp4

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
About as much effort as taste in wheels imho

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Told ya.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A3th3r posted:

Poor person detected

People who are too tight with the spending of the money never get to that point where they are earning the big bucks.

LMAO

You drive a beater m3 with the check engine light on

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
AI is a magical place and i love you all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I know we're bored without Dave but come on, stop feeding the troll.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

A3th3r posted:

Poor person detected

I want you to reread your post so you have a concrete example about how not to talk to people in here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Imagine thinking you make a lot and not even earning 6 figgies. Smh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rigging up this jobbie so i can stop gassing my neighbors on cold mornings.

...maybe i need to just permanently mount it :shrug:

For future reference, the truck was $750, the pipe from lowes was like $12. The labour cost is around $4600 for the 8 minutes it took, i'm expensive as gently caress.