Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Petition to change thread title to " There's Something About Larry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So good news, I replace the IAC and the fuel pump, and the truck seems to be idling much better now. It at least runs for much longer.

Bad News: Opening up the throttle still kills it, and the MAP still kills it too. I haven't had much of a chance to do proper diagnosis on those yet though. I did get a vacuum gauge on the on port for the MAP though, and verified it's at least pulling good vacuum. I also tested the MAP with a new hose and it still didn't work.

my ALDL to PC cable should be here this weekend, so hopefully I can finally at least get some codes.

Also, if anyone can tell me what this thing is, that'd be great:

It's a little plastic barrel shaped thing, right behind the AC comp. Has a line on top of it that comes from a port on the block behind the throttle body, and the line on the bottom goes in under the body.

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!
Fetzer valve.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Soodonim posted:

Fetzer valve.

Okay but how do you check the sperving bearings

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You use the reticulating dingle-arm to measure the sinusoidal repleneration.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Y'all some jerks. That's the ptoosh valve.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Isn't that the evap canister for the emissions poo poo on the fuel system?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If that's related to evap, it's a solenoid, not a canister (but it does look like an evap solenoid... or maybe a high idle solenoid for when the ac is running). The canisters are pretty bulky.

But if the evap system got deleted without plugging up all related ports (and maybe looping some), that can certainly lead to the ECU going into "gently caress you" mode.

Hell, it may be easier to just swap it to a carb at this point. I'm normally all for EFI, but there's just so many unknowns going on with this swap, particularly with emissions systems that may not have been transplanted. A cheap used carb and 4 barrel intake will at least get it driving while Larry figures out the best approach to EFI, and also delete evap + EGR poo poo for the time being. Nothing against Dave's wiring (and it's likely all be correct anyway), but let's just look at reality and realize this was a swap done in the middle of nowhere, with a tired engine out of a tired van, and Dave probably hadn't done a full on "50s 6 volt carb engine to late 80s/early 90s GM TBI 12 volt" swap before.

Oh yeah, has anyone checked the coolant temp sensor(s)? I know when one of those goes bad, the ECU can pitch one hell of a fit. If it thinks it's stone cold all the time, it's going to run fine for the first minute or two that it's running (on a cool-cold day anyway), then fall on its face once it starts warming up. I want to say I've suggested this before, but I've slept since then. Same goes for if it has an intake air temp sensor, but I don't think that was a thing on TBI.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 29, 2017

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

ExplodingSims posted:

So good news, I replace the IAC and the fuel pump, and the truck seems to be idling much better now. It at least runs for much longer.

Bad News: Opening up the throttle still kills it, and the MAP still kills it too. I haven't had much of a chance to do proper diagnosis on those yet though. I did get a vacuum gauge on the on port for the MAP though, and verified it's at least pulling good vacuum. I also tested the MAP with a new hose and it still didn't work.

my ALDL to PC cable should be here this weekend, so hopefully I can finally at least get some codes.

Have you tested the MAP sensor with a multimeter? (you can use your vacuum gauge to test the voltage is correct)

Does this thing have a TPS too or is it MAP only?

Have you tested the fuel pressure on it? That caused similar "idled but would not rev" issues on my truck. You've got a new fuel pump but the return line could be blocked or the pressure reg gummed up.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So quite a bit has happened over the last few weeks, not a whole lot truck related though.
The Explorer decided to eat a battery because it got cold out for a few days, and I got that replaced. Then it developed an issue with the throttle sticking while it would start. Eventually managed to get all that cleared up, but that took some time away from the truck. And then work decieded to put me on call for two weeks in a row, over two Holidays. Which was fun.

But, not to be Mr. Negative, because 2018 is off to a fantastic start, since I'm finally getting to realize one of my long time dreams: Moving out of Florida!

I've been wanting to move out since I turned 18, but the but due to school, training, and my own laziness the opportunity has never really presented itself. But now, it has. And I'll be moving to Las Vegas.

About a year ago a buddy of mine bought a house out there, and has been renovating it. He said I could come live there with him for a bit, while save up some cash out there. It's pretty hard to turn that down. I mean, Nevada isn't really where I want to live, but at least it's a stepping stone to one of the other states out there. Put my 2 weeks in, gave my landlord notice, and been trying to get rid of stuff I don't need. (And good lord do I have more stuff than I recall). And right now I'm stuck in this weird mode of being excited, panicking, happy and anxious all at once.

I mean, I'm super excited to head out there, and I know it's going to be better than staying here, but on the other hand, leaving everything behind, quitting a job I'm kinda liked, or at least was neutral on, has certainly been an experience. But, there's a lot to look forwards to out there, I've got a better job lined up, and the mountains and desert to play in.

And, to answer the questions posed in the other thread, I will be keeping the truck. That's why I'm trying to see if I can finish chasing down this engine gremlin here. I finally got my ALDL to computer cable, so hopefully this weekend I'll be troubleshooting it some more, and can get that licked before I leave. I do have a place in the storage yard where I keep my work van where it will live while I get settled out there, so that's taken care of. I dunno, if this ECU thing keeps up I may just end up carbing it just so it'll run.

I know a lot of people were disappointed by the trailer of the Trukk from Nebraska, but I'm sure a Florida -> Vegas road trip will make some people happy. :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
A small word of advice as you make the transition from Florida to Vegas:

Take a shitload of chapstick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is pretty great man, I'm very happy for you. Still kind of amusing about the trucks geographical locations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

I know a lot of people were disappointed by the trailer of the Trukk from Nebraska, but I'm sure a Florida -> Vegas road trip will make some people happy. :v:

:suspense:

Man, when you do a road trip, you do a fuckin' road trip.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Rhyno posted:

This is pretty great man, I'm very happy for you. Still kind of amusing about the trucks geographical locations.

Yeah, I've trying not to let this thread turn into "Explodingsims abandons his project on the other side of the country" but it just keeps happening :v:

angryrobots posted:

:suspense:

Man, when you do a road trip, you do a fuckin' road trip.

I mean, it's not all that much further:

So, think your truck and trailer is good for another long haul? :v:

So anyways, since it came up in the other thread, one of the things I'm looking forwards to doing out in Vegas is some proper offroading. I'm thinking I'm going to be trading in my Explorer for something else, so if anyone wants to talk about 4x4 things that are also halfway decent at being daily drivers, feel free to open up here.

I've been looking at FJ Cruisers, are they any good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
XJ Cherokee.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ExplodingSims posted:

I've been looking at FJ Cruisers, are they any good?

Essentially a Toyota 120 series Prado chassis with a funky body on the top of them. I think the biggest complain down under is that Toyota should have slotted in the 3.0 D4D Turbo Diesel that the prado also got over here.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Rhyno posted:

XJ Cherokee.
I thought about converting mine, but I think Dave is still too close by to safely have a Cherokee. :derp:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
FJCs are solid vehicles, they just look really fuckin' weird.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You definitely need a Comanche.

Also, finish the truck, put all your poo poo in it, drive it to Vegas?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WJ :downsrim:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

You definitely need a Comanche.

Also, finish the truck, put all your poo poo in it, drive it to Vegas?

I thought about that for a while, and while that would be the most AI option, the fact that I haven't even driven it to the end of the block yet doesn't inspire confidence in making it cross county fully loaded with like 2 tons of weight in the back.

Also Comanche's are super cool....

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There's always that Gladiator in Valentine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

I thought about converting mine, but I think Dave is still too close by to safely have a Cherokee. :derp:

I forgot you had that Jeep! See, you already have the right truck.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Bombardier J5. DO IT

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
SJ Cherokee.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

TDI swapped Geo Tracker

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

A small word of advice as you make the transition from Florida to Vegas:

Take a shitload of chapstick.

This is solid advice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good luck man, the wife and I felt the same way, did the same thing and ended up coming back two years later. Luckily we rented our house and didn't sell it. It was kind of of a grass is greener thing, and made us realize we just wanted to stay here in FL. It was a fun experience (managed a campground in western NY) and probably something we needed to do to figure things out. Financially it hosed us up but what are you gonna do, you gotta take a gamble sometimes.

Hope you get the truck there in one piece and hope Vegas works out for you.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

So, think your truck and trailer is good for another long haul? :v:

Absolutely, and I'd be happy to sell them both to you. :haw:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You will no longer be Florida Man. That alone is worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

You will no longer be Florida Man. That alone is worth it.

Dave is Florida Man, accept no substitutes.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Hit me up once you get out here. I can show you where the junkyards are! :downs:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Left Ventricle posted:

Hit me up once you get out here. I can show you where the junkyards are! :downs:

I want a ride in the wagon. :colbert:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

ExplodingSims posted:

I want a ride in the wagon. :colbert:

Soon as I get the new transmission swapped in. Gonna go with a 3.33 final over the stock 2.97. In the name of better city fuel economy, of course. :twisted:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Right, so, for those of you not following Dave's thread, everything has been packed up, loaded up, and we're on thy way out west.

So we kicked things off by seeing just how far you can abuse AAA towing. I kept telling them I needed a wrecker, but they insisted on a flatbed because it's a "classic".

Now, to the guys credit, he did get it on there:

His winch wasn't too happy about that. And the front of his truck was starting to get pretty high.

And then we got it to the storage yard, where we finally found the cause of at least some of its run issues. The starter wasn't disengaging completely. So Dave hit and got it to retract.....only for the whole starter to stop working.

So we had to push it in place. :negative:

So there it sits, but at least now it has some company with the worst Camaro:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's impressive that the guy got that truck on there. I would never have tried that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol that Camaro. The funniest part is someone is actually paying storage for that and has probably paid it's value fifty times over :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I'm a bit lost on the TRUKK storage. Is it not coming to Vegas with you at all?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol that Camaro. The funniest part is someone is actually paying storage for that and has probably paid it's value fifty times over :v:

People are still paying for AOL dial up because they don't know how to cancel the automatic payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So I'm a bit lost on the TRUKK storage. Is it not coming to Vegas with you at all?

Sims is storing it until he gets established and has a place he can move it to.

• Locked thread