Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

Any tips on busting unusually persistent clogs in dropper bottle nozzles, or failing that, any recommendations for where to buy replacement nozzle parts? I'm using the Reaper Master Paint bottles if it helps.

I strip the cladding off bits of wiring, as that tends to be a bit thinner than paperclips, and use that for clearing clogs in glue nozzles ( revell contacta professional) or dropper nozzles.
After some prodding it usually does the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I;ve been working away at it with a paperclip for a bit but it just won't seem to budge. I'll try again in a bit.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I like straight pins for that. Usually easier to get it in there and wiggle it around. Yes I'm aware of the obvious joke here.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I mean if it comes down to it, maybe remove the cap and see if the clog is there, if its in the plastic bit beneath that pop it out and give it a good hot water wash.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere, I tried to look for it in the OP but might have missed it. Is there an easy way to find good matches between the GW paints and others like Vallejo for similar colors? I just got into painting again and I can see how useful it'd be to have the paints in dropper bottles, but all of the guides and resources I've been going off of for my Black Legion list the colors for using GW paints only.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere, I tried to look for it in the OP but might have missed it. Is there an easy way to find good matches between the GW paints and others like Vallejo for similar colors? I just got into painting again and I can see how useful it'd be to have the paints in dropper bottles, but all of the guides and resources I've been going off of for my Black Legion list the colors for using GW paints only.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

Obviously some will be closer than others so beware!

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Booyah- posted:

https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

Obviously some will be closer than others so beware!

That's perfect! I really appreciate it!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This swatch book gallery (originally posted by a goon whose name I forgot) is also a useful resource. It doesn't have every Citadel color, but being able to eyeball nearly the entire Vallejo Game Color range is great.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
Awesome I'll check that out too. I'm considering just saving up and going for the full Game Color range. I see someone has a starter bundle up for pretty cheap on eBay so I might see if that would have the colors I want.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Vallejo colors in general are pretty awesome. I just got to using their Gunmetal Blue and lawd is it purdy.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Neurolimal posted:

Vallejo colors in general are pretty awesome. I just got to using their Gunmetal Blue and lawd is it purdy.

I don't have that one. Tell me more!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I use a staple, shot into a paddlepop/popsicle/appropriate generic country label stick and straightened out. It's a surprisingly useful and versatile tool for sculpting, painting, clearing clogs, and helping with mini assembly.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

dexefiend posted:

It's mostly just a metallic blue. Waaay to blue for a real blued steel directly except some boutique finished like Colt's royal blue. A purple-blue glaze highlight on a dark metallic like Reaper Adamantium Black or VMC Jet Exhaust looks better for me. Otherwise you'd want to hit it a lot with a dark wash or blend it in just for highlights.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

dexefiend posted:

It's just a really nice looking metallic blue :v:

It can be pretty vibrant for gunmetal, but you can tone it down by thinning it and applying it over a black basecoat.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This swatch book gallery (originally posted by a goon whose name I forgot) is also a useful resource. It doesn't have every Citadel color, but being able to eyeball nearly the entire Vallejo Game Color range is great.

I really wish vallejo would just sell a $20 fan set somewhat like they have for house paint and the like. I have a job that's like 50% based on the fact that you can't tell color and texture from an online gallery, so it hurts that I need to do that for my hobby poo poo. It couldn't be free because those cost money to make and they won't be selling an entire house or office worth of paint from them, but I'd totally pay 20 bucks to have a full vallejo range of colors in a fan deck, and I bet it would be a good thing to have tied to a vallejo display instead of the stupid paper color indicators that are always faded to gently caress.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I've been getting back into mini painting recently and I'm looking for some help on a storage solution for my paints and tools. I live in an Apartment that doesnt have enough space to dedicate to a full time painting station. Right now I just have a couple old cardboard boxes holding stuff but I'm looking for something thats a more durable and hopefully a better fit. I'm using mainly vallejo paints and I see they have a paint caddy but its 50 bucks for just that which doesnt seem to have room for brushes, files, etc. I tried searching around for something and mainly found 10 year old forum threads with dead links all over.

Do you have any recommendations for a good storage container that isnt too bulky?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Grundma posted:

I've been getting back into mini painting recently and I'm looking for some help on a storage solution for my paints and tools. I live in an Apartment that doesnt have enough space to dedicate to a full time painting station. Right now I just have a couple old cardboard boxes holding stuff but I'm looking for something thats a more durable and hopefully a better fit. I'm using mainly vallejo paints and I see they have a paint caddy but its 50 bucks for just that which doesnt seem to have room for brushes, files, etc. I tried searching around for something and mainly found 10 year old forum threads with dead links all over.

Do you have any recommendations for a good storage container that isnt too bulky?

Barring an actual bottle storage case, which can get pricey,, as you've seen, the Plano 23730 is what I use. I think this is the same one I purchased, though my latches are yellow, and it was half that price when I bought it. Holds a lot of paints and isn't too terribly huge.

Reaper sells one too: https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Paint%20Sets/sku-down/09999 but it's probably just a repurposed Plano.

Whatever you get, make sure it's at least 3 1/4" tall in order for the bottles to fit.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Barring an actual bottle storage case, which can get pricey,, as you've seen, the Plano 23730 is what I use. I think this is the same one I purchased, though my latches are yellow, and it was half that price when I bought it. Holds a lot of paints and isn't too terribly huge.

Reaper sells one too: https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Paint%20Sets/sku-down/09999 but it's probably just a repurposed Plano.

Whatever you get, make sure it's at least 3 1/4" tall in order for the bottles to fit.

Thanks! I looked around and found one that looks like the model you described on ebay.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

dexefiend posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23730-05-Stowaway-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B001447AW2

Plano model 3730 for dropper bottle storage

I have one Vallejo box and a bunch of Plano boxes. They are also only like seven dollars to hold about 94 bottles.

Make sure you get the Deep model. I am going to try and find it.

Edit: Plano Stowaway Deep (3700)
Dimensions: 14in x 9.1in x 3.25in

Measure a dropper bottle and get one at least that tall, plus some overage for the lip of the lid.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 19, 2018

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Frobbe posted:

I was hoping to find an easy to acquire source, in case i ever wanted to expand! that guy looks amazing though.

:china:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I've got one of these things:
https://www.amazon.com/ArtBin-Satchel-Container-BottleTrays-6959AB/dp/B00DV90CBO

It's not as space efficient as a proper sized plano box, but the trays can be removed and stood up for easy access.
It's also a little taller than standard mini paint dropper bottles, so they don't stay very secure if you stand the case up on end.
I have yet to find a perfect option that's not super expensive, or only available with full paint sets.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I might have asked this before, but I can't remember. Is this normal when priming white, or did I overspray? The sharp white parts in the recesses near the bolter grip and along the elbow / shoulder armor. It was with duplicolor.

Edit: yep looks like I asked this before, but I don't remember if I got a conclusive answer.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 19, 2018

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Too much spray, and maybe not enough shaking of the can.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Ah dang, into the simple green everything goes. I shook the can for 5 minutes; must be just too much and too close.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Airbrush maintenance question (feel free to point me in the right direction/tell me to gently caress off if this is the wrong thread): I've had a Master AS-196 compressor (the dual-piston type with a tank) for about a year, and the solenoid valve is starting to go. It's the cubic black valve near the top, the one that dumps a bit of excess air when the tank hits 4 bar of pressure. That normally takes about half a second to drop the excess pressure, but it's just recently started to release air for a good 10 seconds after the pumps stop. Then the motor kicks in again after about 30 seconds, so the result is the compressor runs almost constantly and the motor gets close to overheating. (Turning it off doesn't work, the valve just releases all the air in the tank.)
My question is: Is there any way to fix this myself, or do I need to replace the valve? (Or am I just boned?)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic1YLkpl1Do

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Ah dang, into the simple green everything goes. I shook the can for 5 minutes; must be just too much and too close.

It looks like you might have also tried to get everything in one go. You're much better off doing a few blasts of primer, waiting a beat, then hitting it again.

You shouldn't go for full coverage on the first coat, and let coats dry for like ten minutes between applications.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Why would Calgar hold the standard? Doesn't he have a guy for that?

Why are there Imperial Fists on the standard? Marines don't really go for the cross-promotion thing too much.

that mini is amazing and my arguments against it are dumb

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

moths posted:

It looks like you might have also tried to get everything in one go. You're much better off doing a few blasts of primer, waiting a beat, then hitting it again.

You shouldn't go for full coverage on the first coat, and let coats dry for like ten minutes between applications.

Yeah, I definitely got impatient and tried to do it all quickly. Ill practice on old sprues and try again. Duplicolor throws me off because its so thin that I keep thinking nothing is coming out of the can.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
...wait, is Scale75 really a division of Vallejo, or is that just something Spikey Bits made up?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

...wait, is Scale75 really a division of Vallejo, or is that just something Spikey Bits made up?

Given that the bottle shape is completely different, the distribution is completely different, and the paint is nothing alike, I'd say its typical spikey bits

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Stephenls posted:

They're both Spanish, so they must be the same! Who can tell them apart?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

Given that the bottle shape is completely different, the distribution is completely different, and the paint is nothing alike, I'd say its typical spikey bits

To be fair, while the bottles that Vallejo paint comes in are shaped differently from Scale75 bottles, the empty dropper bottles that Vallejo sells are shapes identically to Scale75 bottles.

(Just transferred all my GW paints to the Vallejo empties so I could fit them in an empty Vajjelo paint case.)

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

This talk of Scale75 has reminded me. Gave myself the entire Scalecolor range as a birthday present and because there's a distinct colour shift as it dries, I threw together a colour chart, which I've just scanned in. Should be fairly accurate depending on screen - just excuse my terrible handwriting.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

...Tell me that's printed out. PLEASE tell me that's a printout, or a decal, or something that's not someone actually painting that whole scene at that level.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Aniodia posted:

...Tell me that's printed out. PLEASE tell me that's a printout, or a decal, or something that's not someone actually painting that whole scene at that level.

It's entirely possible the person printed it out on that scale and then painted directly over it. That's how I'd do it, certainly (and who would know otherwise?)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

LazyAngel posted:

This talk of Scale75 has reminded me. Gave myself the entire Scalecolor range as a birthday present and because there's a distinct colour shift as it dries, I threw together a colour chart, which I've just scanned in. Should be fairly accurate depending on screen - just excuse my terrible handwriting.

This is awesome. Thank you!

61 is a good color to test with.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 20, 2018

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
A friend of mine wants to get some DnD minis painted to a really high standard, and he's willing to pay an artist to do so.

Anyone here available for commissions or have a recommendation for good ones?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Are scale75 paints really that much better than vallejo stuff? I know their metallics are supposed to be the best by far, but is there a noticeable difference in quality for the other paints? Trying to decide if they're worth an extra 1.25 per bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Pretty much every line of paints has at least a few really good colors. Lots of VMC paints are great.