Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's impossible to be a Fukuyaman because the contradictions inherent to capitalism won't resolve themselves by just letting the machinery continue to operate. At some point there will be a major crisis which throws off the path of history.

He’s still pumping out books. I have no idea what he’s writing. Science fiction, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's impossible to be a Fukuyaman because the contradictions inherent to capitalism won't resolve themselves by just letting the machinery continue to operate. At some point there will be a major crisis which throws off the path of history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ButtAWqNpRg

I mean sure maybe so but the remarkable thing about this present era is that... there hasn't been any big rupture? The surreal thing is that these Nazis popped up and there's Trump embarrassing himself, but it still all feels like play-acting and the system is still grinding onward without any real change. What's the difference between Trump and Macron? Macron is cracking down on immigrants with ferocity. Now this is also an indictment.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 13:20 on Jan 19, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ButtAWqNpRg

I mean sure maybe so but the remarkable thing about this present era is that... there hasn't been any big rupture? The surreal thing is that these Nazis popped up and there's Trump embarrassing himself, but it still all feels like play-acting and the system is still grinding onward without any real change. What's the difference between Trump and Macron? Macron is cracking down on immigrants with ferocity. Now this is also an indictment.

9/11 was a pretty big rupture, and so was the 2008 crash. Because the system hasn't changed at all doesn't mean there won't be a historical point of crisis. There were several market crises pre-empting the Great Depression after all. And the Great Depression was a global crisis that directly led to the Nazi takeover of Germany.

And, taking that Zizek video at face value, if communist countries like China and Vietnam are more efficient managers of capital, then doesn't that mean liberal democracy isn't the end of history? If communists can do capitalism better than capitalists, then the future would be to emulate those systems, not to maintain the status quo.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 14:38 on Jan 19, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

capitalism has faced numerous crises in the past, but it’s always been saved by capital’s willingness to compromise and provide the basic means of survival to the underclasses. this is less and less true today as witnessed by the gop agenda. whether they genuinely don’t realize that they have to give people something to keep the system going, or they think they can break it all and rule the aftermath, I don’t know, but I suspect the former from the general level of intelligence on display.

it’s not like capitalism faces bigger and bigger crises until it faces one too big to survive. the system could keep going indefinitely if they were willing to make accommodations to do so (for example m4a or ubi). however they’re too dumb and greedy to realize this and that’s how we get collapse

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

It's almost like capitalism has some inherit traits in it that lead to its failure

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

And, taking that Zizek video at face value, if communist countries like China and Vietnam are more efficient managers of capital, then doesn't that mean liberal democracy isn't the end of history? If communists can do capitalism better than capitalists, then the future would be to emulate those systems, not to maintain the status quo.
It seems like we're no longer talking about "communism" and "capitalism" the way we did in the Cold War days. It's a question of centralized authoritarian rule vs. decentralized authoritarian rule. The U.S. system is a sort of informal oligarchy of state-sanctioned corporate fiefdoms. The marketplace sorts out who the biggest player is in each sector, and the winner gets regulatory capture and legal monopoly or duopoly status in exchange for keeping that sector of the market running smoothly. The U.S. system doesn't really care who the winner is or whether they're loyal to the U.S. in any political chauvinistic way. It's assumed that the campaign contributions will flow from the biggest players to the political class no matter what, as the crypto-feudal tribute payment.

In China AFAICT, there's a more top-down process of assigning firms with economic status based on their loyalty to the political hierarchy. The party determines who gets the choicest roles in the economic system. Then those companies get free rein and the knowledge that the party will put down any grassroots pushback from labor.

To me this distinction is pretty minor.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

9/11 was a pretty big rupture, and so was the 2008 crash. Because the system hasn't changed at all doesn't mean there won't be a historical point of crisis. There were several market crises pre-empting the Great Depression after all. And the Great Depression was a global crisis that directly led to the Nazi takeover of Germany.

The problem with "ruptures" going forward is that it seems like they will be dealt with through "efficiency" which could probably just be labeled "automation". Each time the economy crashes, those at the top will grab a larger share of the global economy for themselves and find ways to move on with less support staff.

I feel like the US is becoming Kenya over time. There is a constant adjustment to the new status quo and people get by on less and less and the economic gap widens between rich and poor but we consider our country and economy to be stable because not enough people are starving to death at this point for us to register what is going on around us. I feel like, on the current track, we will see the kind of slums, where people who have nothing live, vs the walled off estates, where people with money live, that you see in Nairobi within my lifetime.

I know we have a pretty awful situation when it comes to public housing (or low rent housing) in major cities in the US but it can get a lot worse and I don't see us stopping it anytime soon.

Just an example, in Sandy Springs, a recently incorporated suburb of Atlanta, they had to force a newly developed apartment complex to create a waiver program for 10 out of their roughly 300 units for families who make $60k per year. We are so hosed.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neon Noodle posted:

To me this distinction is pretty minor.

It's actually a pretty major distinction, because in one case economic power flows from the bottom out, while in the other economic power flows from the top down. The assumption that political donations will keep coming from the biggest market winner still means that it's the top dog of the marketplace that calls the shots and not the political class. In the Chinese case the state still maintains a command structure that checks on the unrestrained power of capital.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/954371153061142528

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

capitalism has faced numerous crises in the past, but it’s always been saved by capital’s willingness to compromise and provide the basic means of survival to the underclasses. this is less and less true today as witnessed by the gop agenda. whether they genuinely don’t realize that they have to give people something to keep the system going, or they think they can break it all and rule the aftermath, I don’t know, but I suspect the former from the general level of intelligence on display.

it’s not like capitalism faces bigger and bigger crises until it faces one too big to survive. the system could keep going indefinitely if they were willing to make accommodations to do so (for example m4a or ubi). however they’re too dumb and greedy to realize this and that’s how we get collapse

I'm just taking issue, specifically, with the Fukuyamist notion that liberal democracy is the end of history. You don't need capitalism to be overthrown for major changes to be affected, especially with all the liberal governments in history that were overtaken by fascism.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/954178734625513472

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/954374840831668225

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Old punker and I can confirm that this is a valid strategy with decades of proven effectiveness.

Pretty fun to tbh.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

KomradeX posted:

It's almost like capitalism has some inherit traits in it that lead to its failure

this except the opposite, it is flawless enough that it leads to the failure of all other things before slowing down

a too perfect a thing causing an imperfect (and human) world to break into pieces~

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Climate change will be the main crisis of capitalism. And it will be a long, painful, drawn out crisis.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

KomradeX posted:

I mean it is pretty contradictory when you think about it!!!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this except the opposite, it is flawless enough that it leads to the failure of all other things before slowing down

a too perfect a thing causing an imperfect (and human) world to break into pieces~

:wrong:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

This seems like it didn't break out of the Southern California news bubble, but a 19-year-old gay pre-med student named Blaze Bernstein was found stabbed to death in an Orange County park. The search for the killer turned into something of a social media phenomenon with Kobe Bryant putting out calls to find the guy.

Police arrested and charged a former classmate with the murder, a 20-year-old Samuel Woodward.

Then you look at a pic of Woodward doing the perp walk...

https://twitter.com/ChicanosUEdCtte/status/952284073719771136

I know this is from a few pages back but this dude’s wearing a Fedora in his pin-up shot

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/954402787403681792

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Why do neo-nazis always doubt the Holocaust? "The Nazi's didn't kill 12 million people in camps, although that would be pretty cool if you think about it"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Why do neo-nazis always doubt the Holocaust? "The Nazi's didn't kill 12 million people in camps, although that would be pretty cool if you think about it"

They believe the Jews made it up as part of a manipulation strategy basically

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

They believe that the Holocaust didn't happen but should've

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I figured it’s part of luring new people in. it didn’t happen you see nazis aren’t so bad, then when you’ve got them to agree nazis are ok it moves to “but it should have”.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

ocrumsprug posted:

Old punker and I can confirm that this is a valid strategy with decades of proven effectiveness.

Pretty fun to tbh.

Thank you for your service.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

"jews made this up to manipulate everyone, that's why we need to really do it to them"

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bitcoin being the leading edge of and largest association with blockchain technology is like if Nazis invented oral sex as a way of testing someone's racial purity.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

weird mike is definitely not crying in this video

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/954436807852285957

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Jose posted:

weird mike is definitely not crying in this video

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/954436807852285957

is periscope twitch for idiot nazis?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A $16,000 deposit? That’s like bail for running multiple people over with a car, or the cost of the car.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

not to be outdone by monkey mike

https://twitter.com/S_Saeen/status/954435363728183296

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/403359911481839617

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Missionary Positron posted:

The moral lesson is: Always Be Punchin' Nazis

I just heard someone tell a story about a liberal organizer who participated in the Euromaidan revolution in ukriane. During that revolution, he and a group of skinheads collaborated in storming a government building. A month after Yanukovych was kicked out, the skinheads paid him another visit, and beat him to a bloody pulp.

so bash the fash or be bashed by the fash

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoluboiOgon posted:

I just heard someone tell a story about a liberal organizer who participated in the Euromaidan revolution in ukriane. During that revolution, he and a group of skinheads collaborated in storming a government building. A month after Yanukovych was kicked out, the skinheads paid him another visit, and beat him to a bloody pulp.

so bash the fash or be bashed by the fash

And now those skinheads run the government with the full support of the west because of the Russian boogyman

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Feldegast42 posted:

Admitting the holocaust happened would simultaneously humanise Jews as victims and give them a legitimate grievance while disproving their all-powerful nature which is central to Nazi propaganda

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

And now those skinheads run the government with the full support of the west because of the Russian boogyman

apparently, after being sent to the hospital by skinheads the organizer said something like, "I don't regret working with skinheads because during a brief glorious moment during the revolution we were able to abandon left/right politics." centrism is a really dumb ideology.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

For a really brief moment we transcended the political spectrum by replacing one corrupt oligarch with another corrupt oligarch.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MikeCrotch posted:

Admitting the holocaust happened would simultaneously humanise Jews as victims and give them a legitimate grievance while disproving their all-powerful nature which is central to Nazi propaganda

Also the holocaust makes fascists look bad. If you're trying to argue your views are not insane, it's not a good association to have

Not that they care about jewish lives

And frankly would be for something like that anyway

It's just that it *didn't happen*, because people hold it against you when you are a fascist

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The people the OG Nazis hated are the same people the Neo-Nazis hate: not just Jews but everyone ethnic, the disabled, queers, women who don't know their place, etc. Not too long ago I honestly thought the days of outright homophobia would be coming to an end except among the older, most hardcore religious nuts. Now there are 22-year-olds talking about how homosexuality is degenerate. :psyduck:

I'm also seeing a strain of weird alcohol and tobacco fetishism (not too surprising because they're symbols of the past and of "manly men"). Some of the real hard right dudes forswear drugs but say that alcohol and cigarettes are good.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's not called toxic masculinity for nothing.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not called toxic masculinity for nothing.

Excuse me E-Cig juice is non-toxic! :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

*drinking blueberry vape juice to own the libs*