Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like when locals ask how I get my skin so white and I can just be like, have a bunch of ancestors from Cork and Brittany and you'll be white as gently caress without a shred of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

icantfindaname posted:

I feel like middlebrow Western opinion is starting to turn against China, but I don't think the brand of subtly racist cultural-psychanalysis in this guy's latest book will really break into the mainstream (return to the mainstream, rather) until China's economy and demographics start to go into clear decline and you need a neat just-so explanation for it. For Japan it took about 15 years for Western opinion to make the full cycle from trumpeting it as world-historical success story to trumpeting it as a permanent failure, in sync with its economic bubble cycle, lets say from 1982-1997. He's probably well positioned for the long game

I haven't read the book yet. How is it racist?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
When will we get a China-centric version of Rising Sun?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Amergin posted:

Even during Japan's economic peak the west was accusing it of abusing trade agreements and manipulating their currency.

I was going to say, haven't we been through all this before?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The plus side of all that Japan rising poo poo is that pro wrestling rules right now. Probably wouldn’t have that if there wasn’t a market in the 80s and 90s

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

WarpedNaba posted:

I was going to say, haven't we been through all this before?

Even more coincidentally, both China and Japan's economic boom ended with a real estate/investment bubble bursting. Except in Japan's case its GDP per capita was higher than the US's at the time whereas China's per capita GDP is only 1/7th the US's.

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 19, 2018

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

I like when locals ask how I get my skin so white and I can just be like, have a bunch of ancestors from Cork and Brittany and you'll be white as gently caress without a shred of effort.

The correct answer is "cold water"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Today was great because me and the German boy in my class got to commiserate about being stuck in the sun for an hour and all of the kids from the region couldn't figure out why being in the sun was literally painful for us. They know all about avoiding the sun to stay as white as possible, but the idea that the sun could literally be dangerous was, well, foreign.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Power Khan posted:

The correct answer is "cold water"

with ice cubes in it!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Jeoh posted:

sunscreen is a pretty normal part of a makeup routine you loving goons

This is the whitest thing I've ever heard.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Today was great because me and the German boy in my class got to commiserate about being stuck in the sun for an hour and all of the kids from the region couldn't figure out why being in the sun was literally painful for us. They know all about avoiding the sun to stay as white as possible, but the idea that the sun could literally be dangerous was, well, foreign.

Yeah, I'm Chinese American and the first time I'd ever gotten sun burned was in high school when I visited the Caribbean. Never used sun screen before in my life. It really is a thing that we don't normally think about.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

As a German/Swede/Brit mix, check your privilege melenin-havers :argh:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My dad's hair was so red, my half-Asian baby has red highlights.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

Yeah, I'm a sheltered Chinese American

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Does growing up in government assisted housing in a neighborhood that's predominantly black except for the other Chinese kids count as sheltered now? Boy those people who have dark colored skin sure are wacky and dumb. Who doesn't know that everyone needs to use sunscreen every day?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

bamhand posted:

Does growing up in government assisted housing in a neighborhood that's predominantly black except for the other Chinese kids count as sheltered now? Boy those people who have dark colored skin sure are wacky and dumb. Who doesn't know that everyone needs to use sunscreen every day?

You're so sheltered that you don't even need sunscreen :boom:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

:vince:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Please check your skin tone privilege.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

i just scream "WALK FASTER OUTSIDE YOU DAWDLING loving IDIOTS"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

lmao

A lot of Chinese people heat their homes by just burning coal in them (this is part of why pollution in winter is so much worse) so I'm guessing they're stealing coal here.

I don't know about "stealing" when it literally fell off of a truck.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

:perfect:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Who needs sunscreen when you have an umbrella?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
our sparrows will blot out the sun

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Cry Havoc posted:

our sparrows will blot out the sun

lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

For some reason I was under the impression that mainlanders don't often wear sunscreen and instead just make sure they have no exposed skin and walk around with umbrellas and huge hats. I guess they do both to make 100% double sure not a single UV ray hits them? I remember some chinese 40-somethings at the beach sitting next to us all covered up and cowering under umbrellas while everyone else played and had a good time in the sun actually asking us why we weren't worried about the sun and we just shrugged and said something about sunscreen but they replied saying the don't like to use it because there's something in the sunscreen that makes it bad for your health if absorbed. They looked extremely worried every time they saw a kid wearing nothing but trunks or nothing at all being so exposed to the sun, like they had to restrain them selves from scooping the kids up and protecting them under their umbrella.

That interaction plus seeing most mainland tourist making sure none of their body is ever exposed to the sun when outdoors made me think there was some cultural aversion to sun screen, or a lack of trust that it was enough to let them safely wander around in a park for 30 min in scorching 23 degree weather without exploding in flames like a vampire.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

For some reason I was under the impression that mainlanders don't often wear sunscreen and instead just make sure they have no exposed skin and walk around with umbrellas and huge hats. I guess they do both to make 100% double sure not a single UV ray hits them? I remember some chinese 40-somethings at the beach sitting next to us all covered up and cowering under umbrellas while everyone else played and had a good time in the sun actually asking us why we weren't worried about the sun and we just shrugged and said something about sunscreen but they replied saying the don't like to use it because there's something in the sunscreen that makes it bad for your health if absorbed. They looked extremely worried every time they saw a kid wearing nothing but trunks or nothing at all being so exposed to the sun, like they had to restrain them selves from scooping the kids up and protecting them under their umbrella.

That interaction plus seeing most mainland tourist making sure none of their body is ever exposed to the sun when outdoors made me think there was some cultural aversion to sun screen, or a lack of trust that it was enough to let them safely wander around in a park for 30 min in scorching 23 degree weather without exploding in flames like a vampire.

Considering Chinese scandals over baby formula and... well everything, I'd say they have a reasonable suspicion that any sunscreen they purchase may actually have been loaded with toxic chemicals as a cost saving measure. It would take more than the duration of a vacation for them to realize that yes, products you purchase in the US for application to your skin can be reasonably assumed to be non-toxic.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

OWLS! posted:

Please check your skin tone privilege.

Please tell me you're kidding.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I'm pretty white and never had to wear sunscreen in Beijing even when staying outside all day because the smog filtered out all the UV. Like all things dumb in China, the fear of the sun leads back to people being raised by their dumb as hell grandma.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baronjutter posted:

I mean I'm not sure how often anyone uses it because I live in Sichuan and the sun is visible like twice a year, but it's definitely for sale at any drugstore. The usual western brands. Women cover every inch of their bodies and use umbrellas to guard against the Horrible Sunlight but it's not like I can tell if they're using sunscreen just by looking.

I would guess the sheer terror of being exposed to sunlight means you cover up even if you are also using sunscreen? I wouldn't be surprised if people are scared of it the way they are of other things in the "medicine that actually works" category.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Please tell me you're kidding.
You think?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

You think?

In this thread, I honestly can't tell.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
The Chinese aversion to cold is worse than them avoiding the sun.

I really think it's just a cultural programming thing where if you feel cold at all you are in actual danger. It's like if you feel cold you immediately are getting sick, and you have to do everything possible to not feel cold so you don't get sick.

I moved to Florida when I was ten and lived there a long time, so it's not like I grew up in Norway and have a skewed tolerance toward cold. For me, when it's 0C or so, it feels chilly and I need to wear a jacket. When it reaches about -15C, and especially if it's windy, it can be very uncomfortable without more layers, a hat, gloves, etc., but EVEN THEN if I am out in that cold without enough clothes, as long as I get back inside within like 15-20 minutes I'll still be loving fine. I'll warm up almost instantly and that's it, I felt cold for a while and now it's fine.

There does come a time in cold weather where it can "hurt" or become very uncomfortable. As long as you get back inside or find a source of warmth though, you are immediately fine. There is no lasting damage here. I don't think Chinese people understand this, or they've been taught by their parents/grandparents that the moment you FEEL cold, you are in grave danger and it's very very bad.

I think this also explains the idea of "well today is the first day of winter so now I will put on a giant coat despite the actual temperature still being warm." It's not that they feel uncomfortable, it's that they fear the mythical damage that "cold" can do to their bodies or to their health.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Yet, no matter how cold it is inside, no one ever turns the heat on, at least not without also having the windows open.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The whole cold = you will get sick thing is pretty cross cultural. My wife will sometimes blame me getting a cold on that short walk to work I did without a hat even though it was only 5 degrees out, and grandmas will always over-bundle kids and flip out about any sort of air movement. Did you know if air below 30c is moving and touches a baby's head the baby will pretty much die within minutes? Close the windows! Put a hat on that kid!! I don't care if it's dizzy and covered in sweat, you don't want it to catch a cold and die.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I mean it's literally called a cold in English.

Chinese also has "zhao liang" which literally means catching a cold but I'm not really sure what that is. I guess it's the mythical ailment you get when you're cold.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah most of my fellow Americans seem to still believe the "being cold -> catching a cold" myth. Though the Chinese, as usual, take it to another level.

I have to admit I get some strange satisfaction out of wearing a t-shirt in winter and watching my Chinese friends' eyes bug out. This was even better during my brief visit to the Middle Kingdom itself. People acted like I was attempting suicide.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

In this thread, I honestly can't tell.

It's GBS, not the other one in magical Lala land.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
knew a girl in Beijing whose biggest fear was “cold”. She’s living in Miami now so I’m assuming she’s living a fear-free life

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Honestly whenever I call out westerners on a cold being a virus and being exposed to cold weather at worse weakening your immune system to allow a cold you otherwise would fight off without symptoms to infect you they get just as mad as Asians who don't understand that going to the doctor for a cold doesn't treat the cold at all and is an unnecessary burden on their healthcare system.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

everyone is wrong and we're all going to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
>Using Tinder
>Match with this skinny Thai woman the same age as me.
>We talk a bit, she wants to add my Line, so I give her my ID.
>Her job says teacher. We talk a bit about it.
>"I teach Chinese. I lived in Beijing for one year."
>"Ask her what she thinks about China and her time there.
>"China is a very very ancient place, so old. Everything is so old. Beijing is ancient and magical."
>She had accepted every bit of the "5000 years" that they told her.
>Tell her I heard China has 5000 years of culture and history.
>She agrees and says Chinese respect their ancient culture and old people very much.
>She said she picked up Chinese Buddhism while there, since it is superior to Theravada Buddhism.
>I am guessing she is probably Wumao, but I don't want to stick around to ask.
>Tell her I lived in China too, but I see it completely different than her.
>She starts asking a million questions and I give one-word replies.
>I stop replying.
>She says she is so sorry.
>Tells me to take a bus out to her grandma's restaurant, 70km away, and I can get a free meal.
>Tell her I have to sleep.
>She never writes me again.

Baronjutter posted:

made me think there was some cultural aversion to sun screen
Cultural aversion to sun for sure. "Black skin so ugly!!" Girls with the slightest bit of darker color are shunned and trampled on. Only poor people have darker skin because they are forced to go outside. Cultural aversion to sun screen? I don't know, but even in Shenzhen where it is usually warm/hot and sunny most of the year (except for like two months), a lot of the people I talked to would never use it, or if they did it was something like 15 SPF that would be useless after a short time in the sun.

Baronjutter posted:

The whole cold = you will get sick thing is pretty cross cultural.
There was a recent "cold" spell here in Bangkok where it dropped down to like 21c/69f in the day for 2-3 days, but the temperature remained constant. The Thais have this dumb thing about the neck being covered or else you'll get sick. It was fun to see the foreigners who live here or buy into the advice to be wearing shorts and t-shirts with these towel scarf things tied tightly around their necks. They looked loving ridiculous, but they didn't want to get sick in the frosty temperatures. The Thais were wearing jackets.

• Locked thread