Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I like how they made the main character into a half Vulcan to explain her inability to act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I simply couldn't get through the first two episode. (that were supposed to be the pilot?)

Maybe I'll try again sometime.

Just start with the third episode and embrace the Jason Isaac effect.

Yeah, the first two episodes were the original pilot, and probably would have worked better as a series of 2 minute Arrowverse-style Flashback scenes spread throughout the season.
(main character has vulcan knowledge about klingon tactics Starfleet doesn't teach, klingon ambush attempt looms, main character goes all MUTINY to avoid the klingon ambush,
klingon ambush happens, hellwar with klingons kicks off, mentor of the main character gets ganked attempting to murder/capture the klingon war leader, main character gets jailed forever)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hey whats the best youtube adblocker for chrome these days

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mmmm I think ublock origins does? Isn’t that the go to?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpAo_XvCQaQ

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
ublock origin does it but breaks for me some times with either a chrome update or ublock update

clearing cache and re downloading the lists seems to fix that

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I'm using adblock plus on all my browsers, and it's pretty reliab
le.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
adblock plus sold out a few years ago and whitelisted a bunch of ad companies

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I use uBlock Origin. It works.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Don't personally use an adblocker, feel that ad presences is a tradeoff internet tax.

Plus it's kinda fun seeing what sites you visit sell access-data via the magic of targeted ads.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Windows 10 update I got is annoying, like more so than usual. It added stuff to my task bar that I had to turn off because apparently it thought i wanted a shortcut to outlook and some people thing and it started showing suggestions in the start menu again. Like maybe I accidentally turned that poo poo off, thanks microsoft I didnt realize I actually wanted more advertisements in my life

its all minor nuisance poo poo but gently caress.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I have one Windows 10 update that my computer has been wanting to install for about a month now. It installs it, restarts, and then never boots up again. Just sits there with a black screen with nothing discernable happening. At least Win 10 scraps the update and goes back to the last build if it fails to install it three times in a row.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Go to the Privacy Tab in Windows 10 & disable away, and also uninstall whatever Win10 store apps you can.

SHIM Shimazu SHIM and maybe Zeris if he wants to repost the below to the NYTimes sucking rear end thread in CSPAM.
I found it again.

A 2002 profile on a privacy rights guru who gave NYC surveillance camera tours.
http://www.notbored.org/van-dusen.html

Then a 2004 NYTimes article about that same guy doing the NYC surveillance camera tours (skip to editors note for instant payoff)
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/17/nyregion/watching-big-brother-on-this-tour-hidden-cameras-are-hidden-no-more.html

quote:

NY Newsday
"Surveillance Camera Activist Charged in Harassment"
Samuel Bruchey, Newsday
23 Jan 2004

For a recent newspaper article on the potential ills of surveillance cameras in public places, Bill Brown led a reporter on a walking tour of Manhattan, deploring the mechanical eyes disguised as street signs or affixed to buildings that infringe -- "like mushrooms in a forest" -- on personal freedoms.

"This is warping human beings," said Brown, 44, at one point, narrowing his eyes to a "conspiratorial squint," according to the Jan. 17 New York Times article.

What the self-styled social activist did not mention was that two weeks before the article was published, he was the one caught on camera, then arrested for making hundreds of obscene phone calls from inside a Manhattan law office where he had a temporary job, investigators said.

On Jan. 8, Brown, of 20 Fairview Place, Brooklyn, was charged with misdemeanor aggravated harassment after being taken into custody by Suffolk County district attorney investigators. He is scheduled to be arraigned March 11 in First District Court in Central Islip. If convicted, Brown faces up to a year in prison.

"I was absolutely appalled when I saw the article," said a Huntington man whose 9-year-old daughter answered the phone and allegedly was subjected to one of Brown's sexually explicit screeds. "If you were doing a story, wouldn't you at least do a basic background check?"

Catherine Mathis, a spokeswoman for The New York Times said Friday, "We are not aware of any past criminal activity on the part of Mr. Brown." Brown could not be reached for comment.

Brown, who was an assistant professor at the Rhode Island School of Design between 1990 and 1994, was arrested six times in Rhode Island for calling random telephone numbers in hopes that a young girl would answer the phone, investigators and school officials said.

The Huntington girl's father, who asked that his family not be identified, said Brown must have coaxed his daughter's name from her when he made the Dec. 28 call. When the girl answered, Brown allegedly threatened to rape her and her mother, investigators said. Investigators say Brown had repeated his earlier Rhode Island pattern of making random calls, threatening young girls who answered the phone, in the hundreds of calls he made.

The Huntington call was traced to Debevoise & Plimpton, a prominent midtown law firm where Brown had occasionally worked as a temporary proofreader, investigators and firm officials said.

Investigators pulled phone records and discovered that more than 700 random calls had been made over several hours that evening. They also used employee access cards to trace movements inside the firm, which occupies 15 floors. But it was a surveillance camera inside the lobby that nailed him, investigators said.

Brown, who -- according to the newspaper article -- has mapped out surveillance cameras in parts of several cities, knew the location of most cameras inside the office. He deliberately covered his face or averted his glance as he walked by, investigators said.

But one camera in the lobby he didn't notice.

It recorded Brown entering the firm that night in the same blue knit cap and scarf he would be pictured wearing in the Times article.

Brown was arrested on Jan. 8, outside a temporary employment agency and later admitted to making the calls, authorities said.

"If he's leading people around on tours like he's some sort of patron of human rights," the Huntington girl's father said, "they should at least know who they're standing beside."

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I have one Windows 10 update that my computer has been wanting to install for about a month now. It installs it, restarts, and then never boots up again. Just sits there with a black screen with nothing discernable happening. At least Win 10 scraps the update and goes back to the last build if it fails to install it three times in a row.

Had a similar problem, it was a antivirus software conflict, needed to disable antivirus while the problematic update installed/machine rebooted to not hang the system.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'll try that when I get home from work today, thanks for the tip.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Go to the Privacy Tab in Windows 10 & disable away, and also uninstall whatever Win10 store apps you can.

SHIM Shimazu SHIM and maybe Zeris if he wants to repost the below to the NYTimes sucking rear end thread in CSPAM.
I found it again.

A 2002 profile on a privacy rights guru who gave NYC surveillance camera tours.
http://www.notbored.org/van-dusen.html

Then a 2004 NYTimes article about that same guy doing the NYC surveillance camera tours (skip to editors note for instant payoff)
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/17/nyregion/watching-big-brother-on-this-tour-hidden-cameras-are-hidden-no-more.html

There is a lot going on here

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Privacy rights guy turns out be a registered sex offender, NYTimes did a Sgt Schultz "i see nothing".

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Don't personally use an adblocker, feel that ad presences is a tradeoff internet tax.
Nah, my monthly Verizon bill is all the tax I feel like paying.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Plus it's kinda fun seeing what sites you visit sell access-data via the magic of targeted ads.

If sites stuck to non intrusive advertising I’d have no problem with it.

Right now they can’t even guarantee that it’s not malicious ads.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Richard Bong posted:

Give an inch. They take a mile.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Soulex posted:

Give an inch. They take a mile.

Don't give poo poo and they do it anyway!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

blue squares posted:

I finally figured out what turn on your monitor means. I thought it meant that your post was just so dumb you must be typing with the screen off and unable to see how dumb you are being. Then I remembered that a long long time ago monitors were reflective when turned off

what an aged joke

he said, whilst a model sucked him off

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/vandroidhelsing/status/954410959887507456

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

adblock plus sold out a few years ago and whitelisted a bunch of ad companies

I always thought it was funny how every program like that (utorrent also comes to mind) eventually sells out and simply includes spyware or the poo poo it was originally against

I mean yeah money talks but it’s still lol

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I always thought it was funny how every program like that (utorrent also comes to mind) eventually sells out and simply includes spyware or the poo poo it was originally against

I mean yeah money talks but it’s still lol

I mean with half of those programs it’s based on people not wanting to pay for things. So as slimy as it seems I can’t completely hate a guy for wanting to be set for life financially instead of catering to a bunch of dumb nerds who won’t pay for stuff.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Richard Bong posted:

I mean with half of those programs it’s based on people not wanting to pay for things. So as slimy as it seems I can’t completely hate a guy for wanting to be set for life financially instead of catering to a bunch of dumb nerds who won’t pay for stuff.

oh yeah I mean I'd sell out too eventually if the price was right, don't get me wrong

just seems inevitable

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The gift that keeps on giving

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Des Moines, Iowa

Kansas City, Missouri

Shreveport, Louisiana

Give me ideas of fun things to do in these armpits since I will be spending a couple of weeks at each this summer.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

boop the snoot posted:

Des Moines, Iowa

Kansas City, Missouri

Shreveport, Louisiana

Give me ideas of fun things to do in these armpits since I will be spending a couple of weeks at each this summer.

Leave

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
gently caress a fat chick

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Des Moines, Iowa

Kansas City, Missouri

Shreveport, Louisiana

Lol Iowa

Eat a lot of BBQ in KC. It’s good.

I have never been to Louisiana outside of JRTC so no info there. You can probably eat a shitton of good Cajun and southern food there though.

Probably some good fishing in MO and LA if you’re into that. Idk if there is really much else to do in those areas but eat.

E:

Vasudus posted:

gently caress a fat chick

It’s underrated. I earned my mountain tab and I don’t regret it.

Richard Bong fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 19, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Exception, not the rule.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

Des Moines, Iowa

Kansas City, Missouri

Shreveport, Louisiana

No idea regarding Des Moinse, but here is some input:

Kansas City, MO: The National World War I Museum is there, and the exterior is cool as all hell, and it's a very good museum. The museum can take a whole day, two if you're thorough. It's a nice mix of "city feel" and "affordable" if you go down to the riverwalk area for food, company, etc. Also there's an Airline Museum I haven't yet visited.

Shreveport, LA: It's been a long-rear end time since I was there, and I don't remember it fondly, but just a bit down the road, comparatively, there are mad huge areas of state/national forests/parks. Renting a kayak or canoe or even a motorized boat and exploring weird-rear end bayous where trees just spring out of the water is cool as hell. There are also a number of cool parks in Texas, nearby, or up north in Arkansas.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I’m making a caramel cheesecake and pepperoni calzone.

Can’t wait. Making caramel from scratch is easy as hell.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Richard Bong posted:

Yeah, I've said that if capitalism actually worked, there would be a business that vetted ads for viruses and obnoxiousness and put out a reliable whitelist.

So we'll see if the organization that promises to do that actually follows through. If this works, I'll turn off the adblocker (except Youtube. gently caress sitting through a three minute ad before a one minute video)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bottom is speculose cookies.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Shreveport (Barksdale) has a solid air park/small museum. And some good food. Ralph and Kacoo's was pretty good. I don't remember the names of the smaller, less tourist-y places we went.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stultus Maximus posted:

(except Youtube. gently caress sitting through a three minute ad before a one minute video)

Youtube loving sucks now. I use their app on xbox and it's got a skip feature after 5 seconds for most. The only ads it won't let you skip are the youtube red ones, mostly. But, there are loving 45 minute long videos that come up aa commercials sometimes. Saw the counter on one for over two hours. In a commercial slot.

gently caress youtube. I don't want to watch some loving infomercial hack level "commercial".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

I use uBlock Origin. It works.

I do too. This is a good one.