Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Papes posted:

I think of this guy every few years and then check up on the status of bulletball....it is not good

I hadn't thought of this guy in ages until I saw a random episode of Comedy Bang Bang! that ended with a weirdly specific joke about bulletball. Season 4, episode 36, if anyone has Netflix handy.

Chubbs posted:

I'm trying to decide whether to get Gloomhaven now while the iron's hot, or pre-order Food Chain Magnate for when that releases next month. Both are roughly the same in price because of FCM's crazy shipping costs.

Personally, I know that I'll enjoy both of them quite a bit.

Gloomhaven would definitely be easier to get people into playing. FCM seems like it could easily turn people off if they don't like the cutthroat aspect of it (or how you can get stuck in a losing game with no way of catching up) but I wonder if that would improve after they get a few games of it under their belt. My understanding is that the more you play it, the more fun it becomes because you start to understand the scope of the game and how to strategize.

Regardless, it seems like FCM is going to be the one that's harder to get as time goes on. Gloomhaven is such a megahit that I'm sure they'll continue to do print runs as the years go by, so the likelihood of me getting a copy at or under MSRP seems higher.

Where is FCM getting released next month? Or is it a reprint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
It's for their 8th print run happening "early 2018".

No official date for when it'll be shipped but there have been a few BGG threads saying that 4dados (a store that does splotter pre-orders) is advertising a February release, and apparently Splotter has said they hope for late Feb/early March.

https://www.splottershop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FCM

Total price is about $120 including shipping (to US).

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 19, 2018

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm a big fanboy for FCM but I'd be hesitant to recommend it unless you know 100% your group will be into it and that you can play it regularly. I know a lot of people hate playing boardgames on computers, but the boardgamecore version is quite honestly better than playing with the real components. It's one of the few boardgames where I honestly don't even enjoy the tactile experience of playing it in real life vs. just playing on a computer. The components are all quite bad, and even though the card and employee structure system is very cool, it still works better on a computer. Toward the end of the game you end up with so many cards that you can't make a real tree while keeping it effectively hidden from your opponents.

The part of the game where you calculate how much money everyone made takes so long during the end phases of the game, and overall a full game just takes way longer in person than it does on the computer.

I think the best way to describe it is like...in most boardgames the components and the way you interact with them are part of the experience. In FCM the components are simply made to track what you have and make the gameplay possible. The more you can computerize that aspect of the game, the better it is.

It's probably a hard sell, but even though I own the game, my preferred way of playing it in person would be for everyone to get a tablet or laptop out and just play online. You'd have the fun of playing it in person with table talk, while saving probably 1-2 hours of playtime, and you'd save $130 as well as all the shelf space.

I know Splotter has a reputation for lovely components, but I don't feel this about the Great Zimbabwe, for instance. FCM just gets so fiddly with stuff like "You put this mailbox down, then you take the corresponding cardboard chit with the number of the mailbox on it, and put it on your advertising employee to indicate that he is the one running the mailbox campaign."

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

terebikun posted:

That Nemesis game...I get the feeling that the artist was really trying not to add tits and rear end to those space marines in space armor, and he was this close, and then Mr. Hyde took over or something and got it in there. It's so...joyless in its TnA.

Scrolled down to see if Cthulhu showed up. Check.

I felt the same way about the models. I'm not against women in games being pretty, but giving all the models sexy poses with gaping boob windows with the defense of "some women like to dress sexy ok" and the comments shouting down the few that criticize the clear sexism really turned me away from the game.

Seize The Bean however has definitely piqued my interest with its interesting take on deckbuilding and the resin resource tokens.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

angel opportunity posted:

I'm a big fanboy for FCM but I'd be hesitant to recommend it unless you know 100% your group will be into it and that you can play it regularly. I know a lot of people hate playing boardgames on computers, but the boardgamecore version is quite honestly better than playing with the real components. It's one of the few boardgames where I honestly don't even enjoy the tactile experience of playing it in real life vs. just playing on a computer. The components are all quite bad, and even though the card and employee structure system is very cool, it still works better on a computer. Toward the end of the game you end up with so many cards that you can't make a real tree while keeping it effectively hidden from your opponents.

The part of the game where you calculate how much money everyone made takes so long during the end phases of the game, and overall a full game just takes way longer in person than it does on the computer.

I think the best way to describe it is like...in most boardgames the components and the way you interact with them are part of the experience. In FCM the components are simply made to track what you have and make the gameplay possible. The more you can computerize that aspect of the game, the better it is.

It's probably a hard sell, but even though I own the game, my preferred way of playing it in person would be for everyone to get a tablet or laptop out and just play online. You'd have the fun of playing it in person with table talk, while saving probably 1-2 hours of playtime, and you'd save $130 as well as all the shelf space.

I know Splotter has a reputation for lovely components, but I don't feel this about the Great Zimbabwe, for instance. FCM just gets so fiddly with stuff like "You put this mailbox down, then you take the corresponding cardboard chit with the number of the mailbox on it, and put it on your advertising employee to indicate that he is the one running the mailbox campaign."

I love my copy and if someone asked to play in person I would never say no, but you're absolutely right. The online version is so nice and handles the fiddly poo poo that you either forget to do, screw up, or get sick of handling after a while. The food meeples are awesome though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

let's get a game of FCM going this weekend! Sunday night? angel/CommonShore/Fulsom/anybody else interested?

Henker
May 5, 2009

It's not really my type of game, but I'd go with FCM just for availability alone. It's gotten more printings than any other Splotter game, but it still pales in comparison to most games. I know a lot of people are paying crazy prices for Gloomhaven right now, but from what I heard the print run was actually pretty big and should be widely available soon.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you’re going for pure print run consideration, then go with Antiquity which has just started arriving. There’s a lot less print runs and copies floating around.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Henker posted:

It's not really my type of game, but I'd go with FCM just for availability alone. It's gotten more printings than any other Splotter game, but it still pales in comparison to most games. I know a lot of people are paying crazy prices for Gloomhaven right now, but from what I heard the print run was actually pretty big and should be widely available soon.

Stock just arrived at a FLGS near my town and there are people taking off at lunch to pick up copies for themselves and friends. I can think of four people picking it up today or imminently. It's bananas. Even people that would never touch a game as heavy as GH (figuratively and literally) are getting in on the buzz. I'm worried it won't live up to some people's expectations though.

Johnny Truant posted:

let's get a game of FCM going this weekend! Sunday night? angel/CommonShore/Fulsom/anybody else interested?

My man, I would be down but am at the GF's folks and it would look bad if I was crying in the corner after dinner because someone sniped me in a price war again.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I’m having a board game night with the MOSTLY UNINITIATED tonight. Gonna be between 4 and 5 people, light board gamers but I don’t know that they’ve ever played much more than Catan and TtR.

I’m gonna bring the following, but I’d also love suggestions!

-Social Games: Codewords, The Resistance
-Worker placement: Lords of Water Deep - maybe Stone Age instead?
-Drafting: I have 7 wonders but might see if I can pick up Sushi Go Party tonight
-Euro style: Puerto Rico, maybe? I also have Castles of Burgundy but I think that caps at 4

What would you bring as your “starting board games” kit?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

I’m having a board game night with the MOSTLY UNINITIATED tonight. Gonna be between 4 and 5 people, light board gamers but I don’t know that they’ve ever played much more than Catan and TtR.

I’m gonna bring the following, but I’d also love suggestions!

-Social Games: Codewords, The Resistance
-Worker placement: Lords of Water Deep - maybe Stone Age instead?
-Drafting: I have 7 wonders but might see if I can pick up Sushi Go Party tonight
-Euro style: Puerto Rico, maybe? I also have Castles of Burgundy but I think that caps at 4

What would you bring as your “starting board games” kit?

I am literally in the same boat. Difference being that I plan to warm them up with Las Vegas, then maybe play like Istanbul, and finally play an unplayed game like Inis or Adrenaline.

Sink or swim baby.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Sushi Go: Party!
I'd probably choose any other WP rather than Lords, it's longer than it needs to be and doesn't feel as engaging as say... Viticulture.

I usually also have Paperback and Race for the Galaxy, though they definitely have design problems.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I have a baby so I could only play asynchronous. I get kind of annoyed with asynch because it takes so long to finish a single game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AceRimmer posted:

I remember hearing Photosynthesis was ...not great, why?

Blocky scoring and too much "gently caress you". I'd have to see more stats to be sure, but I also think that it can be solved and with optimal play the first player will always win.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

My last FCM story that I will post here for some reason is that I was playing asynchronous online, and I lucked into this 4-player game with people who were all quite good and playing really well (and quickly).

We had really interesting openings and it was too close to call for most of the game. I was always thinking about my next move throughout the day, and I felt like we all played really well and to the best of our abilities. I ended up not winning even though I felt in the lead (with CFO bonus) for a good chunk of the game.

After the game we all were excited to play with each other and started a new game immediately.

Fairly early in the game, I was holding my son and he was squirming and crying and being fussy, and I saw that my turn had come up. So I had my phone in one hand and kid in the other, and I tried to decide quickly what I was going to do and take my turn while everyone was still clearly online (everyone had taken their turn in quick succession) in hopes I could get another turn in sooner rather than a day later.

I don't remember what mistake I made, but it was a huge and massive mistake that completely put me out of the game while also handing one player all of the sales that another player was sure he'd get if I had played rationally. Everyone in chat sounded kind of annoyed saying stuff like "Hmm, now he's getting all those sales..."

So basically from that point onward the game was no fun anymore, I was out of the game, and I'd "kingmade" sort of. It wasn't close at all, but it still took another week or so for hte game to finally finish. When it finished no one said anything or talked, and we never played with each other again. I like to think they invited everyone else back in while leaving me out.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I'm a big fanboy for FCM ...

Toward the end of the game you end up with so many cards that you can't make a real tree while keeping it effectively hidden from your opponents.

This is one of the weird things about presentation / description. You make an organizational tree, but the locations of things don't matter (since no employee has something like "cooks under me get +1 food production"). So I just figure out how many employees I can run, make a face-down stack that big or smaller, and only put it into the tree form so people can see it's legal after everybody's ready.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It wasn't close at all, but it still took another week or so for the game to finally finish.

This is why I will probably never play FCM asynchronously again. Thoughtful, many-turns-in-advance planning is rewarded, and strongly incentivized in asynchronous play. I found I enjoy holding onto a plan with literal days of waiting for my turn about as much as I enjoy holding my breath.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

rchandra posted:

This is one of the weird things about presentation / description. You make an organizational tree, but the locations of things don't matter (since no employee has something like "cooks under me get +1 food production"). So I just figure out how many employees I can run, make a face-down stack that big or smaller, and only put it into the tree form so people can see it's legal after everybody's ready.

That's what I do as well, there's zero reason to take up space by actually making an organizational tree.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FulsomFrank posted:

Thanks for this write up.

Honestly, it sounds interesting and I look forward to playing it when my friend's copy arrives. I think he didn't want to pay shipping twice so opted for the one time delivery with everything. This description sounds closer to something like Inis-meets-Kemet but either way I try to keep my mind open about these things until I finally get to try it. It just seems that so many kickstarters are doubling down on minis and production while the gameplay takes a backseat. I can think of the recent Dark Souls game that seems to be pretty divisive in that I think most people think it's deeply flawed but has some interesting ideas mixed into it. And it has (or at least had) incredible DS miniatures. Something about the darker coloured aesthetic too that causes my eyes to kind of glaze over.

Speaking of KS, what happened to the Gentes kickstarter I was promised?

I would have described it as Inis meets Kemet, but I haven't played Kemet, so wasn't sure if that was accurate. This company is the same one that made the "This War of Mine" boardgame, which is another reason I didn't cancel it, since that got pretty dece reviews. I actually quite like the sound of Nemesis as a game, although I hate the "HAY GUISE WHATS ALIEN?" look of it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The tree is very helpful for other players knowing what you can do. The issue I have is that when you play in real life, you really do have to lay all the cards out in some way so people can see what employees you have out. It takes up a ton of space even if you aren't making it into a "tree." I also do the counting thing, but I find myself re-counting the stack of cards 2-3 times sometimes toward the end of the game to make sure I'm not messing up somehow.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I guess I'm leaning more towards FCM because of how unique and hard to find it is (and I don't think anyone I know has or ever will have a copy) and because I don't have a heavily competitive, highly replayable game like that in my collection. I figure the release won't happen for another month at the very least, so I don't feel the need to drop money on it asap. They've got it listed with 99 copies left available so it's not about to run out of stock, considering how expensive it is (and the complete lack of advertising). The components don't bother me too much, I figure I'll probably get one of those accordion card holders to help manage the table space, and maybe some poker chips as well for the money. I'll check out the online version in the meantime as well to give the game a try. Thanks for the tip.

On a side note, my FLGS just got 2 copies of Gloomhaven and I'm going there tomorrow night, so if they still have a copy left then maybe I'll jump on it (assuming noone else in my group has bought it yet) and then save up some dosh over the next month for FCM.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chubbs posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm leaning more towards FCM because of how unique and hard to find it is (and I don't think anyone I know has or ever will have a copy) and because I don't have a heavily competitive, highly replayable game like that in my collection. I figure the release won't happen for another month at the very least, so I don't feel the need to drop money on it asap. They've got it listed with 99 copies left available so it's not about to run out of stock, considering how expensive it is (and the complete lack of advertising). The components don't bother me too much, I figure I'll probably get one of those accordion card holders to help manage the table space, and maybe some poker chips as well for the money. I'll check out the online version in the meantime as well to give the game a try. Thanks for the tip.

On a side note, my FLGS just got 2 copies of Gloomhaven and I'm going there tomorrow night, so if they still have a copy left then maybe I'll jump on it (assuming noone else in my group has bought it yet) and then save up some dosh over the next month for FCM.

With the buzz around it unless you're in the middle of nowhere (and even then you never know) if you have any interest in GH I would call them and get them to set it aside because those two copies won't last. It's a great group game and you will get your money's worth with it almost certainly, especially if you have a regular couple of people that like that type of experience.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Truant posted:

I can't sit down to play, but I'd be up for an asychronous game in which we all pinky swear to do our best to keep checking it as much as humanly possible.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think this blog post should go on the OP wrt general types of games: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/27367/schools-design-and-their-core-priorities

It’s insightful and even these days I find the terms Ameritrash and Euro to be useful. I think the separate category of German family games is actually really good and I never thought of it that way. The evolution to marry it with Ameritrash resulting In eurogames, which continues further, is interesting. The streamlining of wargames over decades (and the rise of eurogames complexity) has been remarked on by grognards in the various wargaming group I’m part of too.

Also has anyone read the characteristics of Games book? I think I’m getting it and zone of control and wonder if it’s good or if there are better books on the topic.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 19, 2018

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Found Azul in stock on a Canadian website for it's normal price. That was exciting.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
codenames rules question. For a clue like 'Volume" would you say its ok to say a hint for another word like say "Duck!" yell DUCK! 2 super loud for both volume and quack? Its pretty creative.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The 10th anniversary Container kickstarter delivery is delayed till late May/early June because someone on the production side added coarse silica to the ship/container composite line and final production samples break/chip if you look at them funny.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Doorknob Slobber posted:

codenames rules question. For a clue like 'Volume" would you say its ok to say a hint for another word like say "Duck!" yell DUCK! 2 super loud for both volume and quack? Its pretty creative.

Codenames clues have to be based on the meaning of the word, so that wouldn't be valid. You can't even use rhymes with the stock rules.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Also has anyone read the characteristics of Games book? I think I’m getting it and zone of control and wonder if it’s good or if there are better books on the topic.

I love Garfield and I think he's done some of the best thinking on game design theory, but the book is really basic. If you've watched his talks on Politics and Luck (where he actually goes into more/better detail than the book does) I don't think the book has much to offer you. I guess there's some reference stuff, like the appendix on combinatorial games, but that's all standard stuff you can find anywhere and that he doesn't have any super special insight into.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Officially no, but I think you should let this kind of thing go... at least once, especially if you're playing Duet (which you should be). We've had a few times where people have sung a word or said it slow or whatever, and those have generally made for good, memorable games. You just can't let it become convention, at which point it's boring. To be clear, you should normally follow the rules - I've played with groups who thought it was more fun if you could say "double" to mean words with double letters or whatever, and eventually those are half the clues and it sucks. But some creative leeway on new kinds of bad clues is great.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 19, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:siren: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1280624810/container-10th-anniversary-jumbo-edition/posts/2094423 Container has been delayed! :siren:
Manufacturer tried to slip them inferior materials :mad:

jmzero posted:

I love Garfield and I think he's done some of the best thinking on game design theory, but the book is really basic. If you've watched his talks on Politics and Luck (where he actually goes into more/better detail than the book does) I don't think the book has much to offer you. I guess there's some reference stuff, like the appendix on combinatorial games, but that's all standard stuff you can find anywhere and that he doesn't have any super special insight into.

drat, thanks. That money can go towards more board games :v:

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The 10th anniversary Container kickstarter delivery is delayed till late May/early June because someone on the production side added coarse silica to the ship/container composite line and final production samples break/chip if you look at them funny.

Gee. It's like I'm surprised. (when they promised Jan 2018, my response was "ok, I'll have it next summer")

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
God DAMMIT

What a kick in the nuts, I was getting excited.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Eh poo poo happens. Not surprised that the supplier tried to gently caress em over with cheap filler, that polyresin stuff is probably expensive and a good way to increase margin/make up overages. 40% is a bit much though geez, they must have thought it wouldn’t get looked at till it was too late.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Container is super duper good but that edition seems like such overkill.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

For anyone that loves Spirit Island as much as I do, the 2 promo spirits were literally just made available on the Greater Than Games storefront.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jordan7hm posted:

The 7-inch ships make it! I might even make some harbor terrain for the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

The irony is that they went with a larger size because it wasn't any more expensive than the original sized pieces. But it looks like the manufacturer just cheapens out instead of charging you more money.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
FCMs real problem is you can only play with people of the same skill level. This is basically impossible to orchestrate in real life so you can never actually get it to the table. Get gloomhaven.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Read Poorly Made in China, it explores in detail how this kind of practice (loving with products and hoping the client doesn't notice) is basically standard operating procedure in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Bloody Pancreas posted:

For anyone that loves Spirit Island as much as I do, the 2 promo spirits were literally just made available on the Greater Than Games storefront.

Cheers.