Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Is Satan a top or bottom though

Well, Akira certainly can't be the bottom.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

God is the true villain of Devilman, so it's not that straightforward.

God may be the villain in the manga (I haven't read it yet (I've already pre-ordered the new translation)), but I think that's a much harder claim to make in Crybaby.
Between Miki as a Christ figure, the grace depicted when Akira intervenes during the stoning, to the explicit divine intervention preventing a nuclear war, there's a lot to suggest God is an active and benevolent participant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Clean healthy god bombs are a benevolent intervention against nuclear war.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

now if only we could get him to drop some in this thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

now if only we could get him to drop some in this thread
i pray it kills the straights first, much like in hit anime devilman crybaby

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Schwarzwald posted:

God may be the villain in the manga (I haven't read it yet (I've already pre-ordered the new translation)), but I think that's a much harder claim to make in Crybaby.
Between Miki as a Christ figure, the grace depicted when Akira intervenes during the stoning, to the explicit divine intervention preventing a nuclear war, there's a lot to suggest God is an active and benevolent participant.

Minor adjustment: I thought Miki (and maybe even a stretch, Miko too) was more a loose interpretation of the Two Witnesses, i.e. one of the last non-garbo humans left before they eventually get killed and everyone celebrates/apocalypse proceeds.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wasn't gonna post in here cause i don't really have much of a bone in most of the discussion but i feel obligated to say that everything c-span's said makes me want to burn everything to the ground

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i wasn't gonna post in here cause i don't really have much of a bone in most of the discussion but i feel obligated to say that everything c-span's said makes me want to burn everything to the ground
are you sure that isn't just you fantasizing about LGBT representation?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Liver Disaster posted:

Clean healthy god bombs are a benevolent intervention against nuclear war.

This is what is described in Revelations though, just boom 1/3rd of everything, gone. Of course no explicit mention of nuclear war is made, and I would not describe this as benevolent, but maybe more like "uh no, I'm doing this my way".

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Jose posted:

is the original also very gay?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Devilman is about accepting your gayness and that one tweet that goes "i'm going to tell my wife that i'm a devilman" is actually trying to say "i'm telling my wife i'm homosexual".

Please subscribe to my youtoob and support my patreon for more hot takes thanks for reading.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
uhhh 150 comments while I was a sleep, is all just people arguing over who is or isn't gay? not gonna read it if that's the case. devilman gay so what

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can we all talk about how goo the soundtrack is for a while?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKdmzriKsic

also i can't wait to read posters thoughts on the gay subtext of the baki anime thats coming out this year. featuring extremely muscly men who beat the poo poo out of each other and has one of them get his hand cut off and be glad he can finally punch with all his strength since his hand can't break anymore

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

same about baki but also again in 2019 when kengan asura gets its anime

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Opening a :can:, but the text of this show is also the book of Revelations/Apocalypse, and combining the two gives this sense of "hmm, the strong queer relationships here represented in this show by devilmen or the damned, and God wipes them all out for a reset" :raise:

Like maybe this show isn't the best queer hill to die on.

I'll die on the hill of "two people of the same gender confessing their romantic love for eachother are gay, really" every time but especially if they're evil demons cuz that's loving badass

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Opening a :can:, but the text of this show is also the book of Revelations/Apocalypse, and combining the two gives this sense of "hmm, the strong queer relationships here represented in this show by devilmen or the damned, and God wipes them all out for a reset" :raise:

Like maybe this show isn't the best queer hill to die on.
a lot of gays feel rejected by society and therefore identify with things like demons/devils and condemned by holy, 'pure figures'

there's a lot of articles written about this show in that light

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the original Devilman OP is wild:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5n2bkCZvvY

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I finished watching this last night and it was surprisingly funny for a show about the annihilation of the world and the message that love isn't enough to conquer all.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
but is there a latinodisco devilman op

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I don't want to add to much to the L O V E debate, but I'd just like to mention that while in english there is Like and Love as words, we use Love for both instances in french, yet depending on how it's said and the situation, francophones know which it is. So I'm betting it's a "lost in translation" thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

God is certainly a less actively hostile figure this time around (in the manga, he explicitly obliterates Russia to prevent nuclear war, and doesn’t just turn demons who get too close into salt, but humans as well), but he’s not actively helpful, either. He very specifically does not lift a finger to save humanity, exemplified by the good Christians of Miki’s family dying horribly, and comes across instead as having a single-minded grudge against Satan and the legions of hell - note how the Earth is rejected and discarded at the beginning and end of the series. That also fits with the overall theme of emotion being a beautiful weakness - Satan describes him as ‘cold’, and it matches the logic of the show for the pure, focused, ruthless killer to come out on top, and for that to be a tragedy rather than a triumph.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

a lot of gays feel rejected by society and therefore identify with things like demons/devils and condemned by holy, 'pure figures'

there's a lot of articles written about this show in that light

I mean I think its more society literally telling gay's "Your evil demons and you're all going to hell"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

God is certainly a less actively hostile figure this time around (in the manga, he explicitly obliterates Russia to prevent nuclear war, and doesn’t just turn demons who get too close into salt, but humans as well), but he’s not actively helpful, either. He very specifically does not lift a finger to save humanity, exemplified by the good Christians of Miki’s family dying horribly, and comes across instead as having a single-minded grudge against Satan and the legions of hell - note how the Earth is rejected and discarded at the beginning and end of the series. That also fits with the overall theme of emotion being a beautiful weakness - Satan describes him as ‘cold’, and it matches the logic of the show for the pure, focused, ruthless killer to come out on top, and for that to be a tragedy rather than a triumph.

Well he did not blow up the Earth and reset it until Satan won and Humanity was gon. I assume the reason he did not act during the final battle is that he hoped Akira would win and save the last remnants of Humanity.

Like he appears to be trying as hard as possible to avoid destroying Humanity only acting to destroy Russia and its Demons to prevent Nuclear annihilation. Then reseting the world when Humanity despite Akira and the last remnants of Humanity's efforts to defeat Satan.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The real problem I have with people claiming that this or that character is gay or bi, is that it's wrong to project identities onto people which they haven't made explicit themselves. You should trust others to demonstrate their own personal truths, and you have to be willing to accept and love them for whatever they are regardless of whatever biases you may be conditioned to have. It's fine if you want to read Miko as gay or bi, but I disagree with it because the only person who should be deciding that is Miko. Making interpretative assumptions about people based on vague evidence is a prejudice, and deciding things on false assumptions can be literally world ending.

It's nobody's place to definitively decide on a matter of somebody else's identity. Everything is questionable without being made explicit.

I think you should come out of the closet as stubbornly insisting gay people don't exist instead of couching it in woke identity respecting or whatever like this lmfao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

I think you should come out of the closet as stubbornly insisting gay people don't exist instead of couching it in woke identity respecting or whatever like this lmfao
hey now, i think we should respect this fictional character's ability to tell us their sexuality.

miko: i love this woman

well, you see... one thing you should know is that... hrm. well, actually...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he did not blow up the Earth and reset it until Satan won and Humanity was gon. I assume the reason he did not act during the final battle is that he hoped Akira would win and save the last remnants of Humanity.

Like he appears to be trying as hard as possible to avoid destroying Humanity only acting to destroy Russia and its Demons to prevent Nuclear annihilation. Then reseting the world when Humanity despite Akira and the last remnants of Humanity's efforts to defeat Satan.

The other, obvious interpretation is that he was just trying to deny the demons a powerful military advantage (nukes) before he laid the smackdown upon them. Again, he never actually, explicitly tries to help and protect humanity - his only actions are to kill demons. The only ones we see putting themselves on the line to protect people for no advantage to themselves are humans like the Makimuras and the rappers and devilmen like Akira and Miko. A Christian family literally get gruesomely murdered after God manifests on Earth, and the only people trying to help them are delinquents and half-demonic monsters.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

r/atheism

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

He very specifically does not lift a finger to save humanity, exemplified by the good Christians of Miki’s family dying horribly,

1) Well duh, that's kinda a point of an apocalypse lmao
2) The core central and most notable story of Christianity is an unjust murder of some good dude, for the sake of saving humanity. i.e. bad things happen to good people and sometimes that leads to a better thing.

Darth Walrus posted:

and comes across instead as having a single-minded grudge against Satan and the legions of hell -

well of course, when the story of the apocalypse is told from the devilman and demon viewpoint. That was one of the things this series did really well.

Darth Walrus posted:

note how the Earth is rejected and discarded at the beginning and end of the series.

Once again, well duh that is the point of the apocalypse story, a big reset on the Earth that finally succumbed to demons.

Darth Walrus posted:

Satan describes him as ‘cold’, and it matches the logic of the show for the pure, focused, ruthless killer to come out on top, and for that to be a tragedy rather than a triumph.

Of course that is how Satan would describe God, since the entire point was to remove Lucifer from "the warmth of God's love".

None of this is evidence that God did nothing or is some sociopath, just a result of trying to tell this story from the other view, with certain contexts missing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

dogsicle posted:

same about baki but also again in 2019 when kengan asura gets its anime

i keep forgetting thats getting an anime :jackbud: for ohma and kiryuu

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm just taking the L on this one.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 9, 2018

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it's not made clear until several episodes later, but Miko keeps Mayuta's bodyparts in her apartment as a keepsake and wears his shades. You can clearly see the fingers with "fly" tattooed on them. Mayuta was a really underserved character who deserved a bit more screentime, but they were squeezing so much in to 10 episodes already that even Zenon gets short changed.

I rewatched the Mayuta scenes and the chewed up hands are cut in weirdly. It's actually supposed to be the floor of the Black Sabbath Miko got possessed at.
The look-alike was really just a look-alike, not even Koda. He's credited as such. What you think are Mayuta's body parts in Miko's apartment is just her dead grandma. You could hear her screaming for Miki when Miko first met Mayuta.
So yeah, Mayuta got killed at the Black Sabbath and Miko kept the glasses as a reminder.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

I literally asked if there was a lost in translation problem, and that was allowed to linger for an entire page before it even got answered seriously.

Lurking Haro posted:

The look-alike was really just a look-alike, not even Koda.

So the look-alike is a demon that took over Mayuta's body? That's the only way that could make any sense.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 19, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
devilman is a gays only event

Schwarzwald posted:

Miki and other Miki don't tell us anything about their sexuality or their romantic feelings. They say they love one another.
i have read this one million times and i am not one iota closer to comprehending it

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I watched this anime at the behest of a friend. I do not watch a lot of anime but enjoyed this enough to binge it. I wish the big fight at the end had gone on a little longer and we'd gotten to see more perspectives of the last humans, or demons/devilmen battling it out. Like wheelchair devilman kicking some demon rear end or something.

I'm glad the cat came back to life and killed that evil grandma.

I thought Koda and Miko deserved a little more time too. Koda especially just seemed like a pointless rear end in a top hat but I guess that fits the theme of 'everything sucks and everyone dies' so that's okay I suppose.

It was pretty good. Thanks for listening to my anime review, everybody.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

devilman is a gays only event

I'm officially banning heterosexuals from watching anime

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

an actual dog posted:

I'm officially banning heterosexuals from watching anime

thank you, it's about time

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I literally asked if there was a lost in translation problem, and that was allowed to linger for an entire page before it even got answered seriously.

So the look-alike is a demon that took over Mayuta's body? That's the only way that could make any sense.

Nope, just a troublemaker who looks like him.
He is credited as "Boy looking like Kukun".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

i have read this one million times and i am not one iota closer to comprehending it

It is possible to love people you do not have romantic or sexual attraction toward.

(For example, Miki professes love toward her family, and Akira expresses love toward both the humans being stoned to death as well as the humans stoning them.)

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 19, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Schwarzwald posted:

It is possible to love people you do not have romantic or sexual attraction toward.
if one miki was a boy and the other miki was a girl, would you be playing this card at all

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

if one miki was a boy and the other miki was a girl, would you be playing this card at all

Yes, because it is the defining theme of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Hi guys what's going on-

:stare:

• Locked thread