Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Given WG's massive throbbing hateboner for IJN DDs I can't wait to see what Asashio brings to the table. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

squidflakes posted:

Hey Redeye, sorry if I weirded you out the other day while grinding out those DOY missions!

Took me a minute to remember. You're good! I was a little "did I piss off this guy somewhere?" for a bit but if I seemed testy at all that was literally my first randoms game in the Indy AND my first randoms game with manual air control since they took it off the T4 and T5s. So when all my poo poo got scrapped by strafes it was really driving me crazy.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I've been reading up on bounce mechanics and I still don't understand one thing.

Assume no overmatch, autobounce angle is 60 degrees. I have been unable to find from what angle that 60 degrees is measured. So of the following two (very high quality) diagrams, with the green line showing the vector of incoming fire, which will autobounce.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Autobounce threshold is the green line on diagram A

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

xanif posted:

I've been reading up on bounce mechanics and I still don't understand one thing.

Assume no overmatch, autobounce angle is 60 degrees. I have been unable to find from what angle that 60 degrees is measured. So of the following two (very high quality) diagrams, with the green line showing the vector of incoming fire, which will autobounce.

It's 60 degrees from the normal angle, so it's the green line on A.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Thanks. Time to get my angling on.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So it's been a while: what's the deal with UK BB's? Should I always be using HE? Is it situational?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I think it's HE most of the time but don't be afraid to AP broadside targets. Some UK BBs have really good AP but I forget which ones

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I think it's HE most of the time but don't be afraid to AP broadside targets. Some UK BBs have really good AP but I forget which ones

Should I be taking the "switch ammo types at 50% of reload speed" skill for my captain?

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
The HE is so ridiculous on most of the British tree that you can get away with not bothering to switch. Their AP is still fine, but when the HE performs as well or better from any angle and without thinking about it, why bother.

The Queen Elizabeth, Monarch, Warspite and Hood are the exceptions.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

davejk posted:

The HE is so ridiculous on most of the British tree that you can get away with not bothering to switch. Their AP is still fine, but when the HE performs as well or better from any angle and without thinking about it, why bother.

Just as an aside, those exceptions davejk mentioned have AP with a short fuse/poor pen which is less effective on BBs but more likely to full pen cruisers and DDs.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For those of you trying to ignore the HSF campaign/collection for whatever reason, you really shouldn't. A large number of exp flags (10 per container), plus effectively 5,000 doubloons for a T10 premium camo are pretty valuable.

For those not aware it had started, or were but haven't figured out the stupid way WG has implemented it, here are the steps to activate it:

1. Make sure you're actually logged in and go to the news page here: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/everything-is-fine/
2. Scroll down to the "I Want to Join" button and click it.
3. Get in the game and play a match(any mode) in one of the HSF ships, Musashi, or Yamato to actually unlock the stuff.

I think needing step 3 is because WG bugged out something, so if you don't happen to have or want to pay for one of those premiums, hope you have a Yamato or they fix it fast.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

davejk posted:

Also Nelson

Lord Koth posted:

For those of you trying to ignore the HSF campaign/collection for whatever reason, you really shouldn't. A large number of exp flags (10 per container), plus effectively 5,000 doubloons for a T10 premium camo are pretty valuable.

For those not aware it had started, or were but haven't figured out the stupid way WG has implemented it, here are the steps to activate it:

1. Make sure you're actually logged in and go to the news page here: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/everything-is-fine/
2. Scroll down to the "I Want to Join" button and click it.
3. Get in the game and play a match(any mode) in one of the HSF ships, Musashi, or Yamato to actually unlock the stuff.

I think needing step 3 is because WG bugged out something, so if you don't happen to have or want to pay for one of those premiums, hope you have a Yamato or they fix it fast.

I don't have any HSF ships, and I've already started getting items from the collection

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I waited too long and now Ranked is too full of poo poo to warrant continuing. You'd think battleships would know better than to push 3 smoked destroyers, but they do it anyways.

I'm not sure which is worse, getting hosed over by random chance ( you've got a Lexington on your team, have fun with that ), or having to deal with problem boats like the Lo Yang every single game.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

NTRabbit posted:

Also Nelson

Nelson isn't an exception - it actually has the same HE shells as Lion.

Lord Koth posted:

The missions for Yamato/Musashi/HSF Spee/Harekaze are a bonus - they're not required to unlock the collection.

What should happen is you sign up, play one game in anything, and receive a container that starts the collection. Then, you can go to Profile -> Collections -> HSF, enable collecting it with the button in the lower right, and get the rest from regular containers.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
I've just started playing my NA account; I created it to get all the free premium WOWP goodness. Also because at the times I play (I live in the UK) I find NA players are woeful compared to Euro players in most games (honestly, they aren't all bots).

Is there a bonus code repository I should be checking?

I'd be grateful for anything at this point :negative:

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I waited too long and now Ranked is too full of poo poo to warrant continuing. You'd think battleships would know better than to push 3 smoked destroyers, but they do it anyways.

I'm not sure which is worse, getting hosed over by random chance ( you've got a Lexington on your team, have fun with that ), or having to deal with problem boats like the Lo Yang every single game.

The Lo Yang isn't really a super problem boat, but you do need to have people who will shoot at it the moment it pops up. I definitely have learned my lesson this time. Rank our early as if you wait until the halfway point, you will have to continually deal with the sub 47% who will slowly drag your win rate down to utter poo poo with their constant failures.

I ground out through the Shchors in 2 nights to the Chappy and tried it in ranked. It seems to be one of the best for at least being able to save your star when the idiot Kagero throws a match you otherwise won by opening fire on an enemy BB at 6KM. I imagine the LoYang is another decent boat for being able to play around your idiot teammates.

HFX fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 19, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

davejk posted:

Nelson isn't an exception - it actually has the same HE shells as Lion.

Nelson's AP is good enough to make it better than the HE when shooting at battleships, it's got tight dispersion and those 16" shells gently caress poo poo up at tier 7

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 19, 2018

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

NTRabbit posted:

Nelson's AP is good enough to make it better than the HE when shooting at battleships, it's got tight dispersion and those 16" shells gently caress poo poo up at tier 7

I was just counting ships where you can get away with spamming HE, really.

I'd still use AP on battleships in all of them under the right circumstances. This includes when people give you broadside because they think you're just going to keep spamming HE at them (which is surprisingly frequent).

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

HFX posted:

The Lo Yang isn't really a super problem boat, but you do need to have people who will shot at it the moment it pops up. I definitely have learned my lesson this time. Rank our early as if you wait until the halfway point, you will have to continually deal with the sub 47% who will slowly drag your win rate down to utter poo poo with their constant failures.

I ground out through the Shchors in 2 nights to the Chappy and tried it in ranked. It seems to be one of the best for at least being able to save your star when the idiot Kagero throws a match you otherwise won by opening fire on an enemy BB at 6KM. I imagine the LoYang is another decent boat for being able to play around your idiot teammates.

Highlighted the problem. I made it to rank 4 a few times, then took a break for a few days for work, came back, and now it's just a sea of 47% overall BB players doing stupid rear end BB things.

I get that I'm not the best ranked player, but I also generally land high up on my team. Every so often I potato out, but I pull my weight more often than not and still get hosed over. I dunno how Hammer managed to rank out with his Kutuzov because half the time I can't even get spots. :allears:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

HFX posted:

The Lo Yang isn't really a super problem boat, but you do need to have people who will shoot at it the moment it pops up.

The problem with the Lo Yang is that WG buffed it to be flat out better in every respect at the same gimmick that's supposed to be a "thing" for an entire DD line, along with everything else it has. There is no world where "has a sonar an entire km better than the equivalent tier German DD" makes sense from a balance perspective.

Yes, outside of Ranked it's not such a huge problem in terms of power (it is still just a T8 DD, often uptiered to T10, after all), but that buff was utterly idiotic. Like, generally you can make some argument for virtually any ship, even subpar ones, for why you could play that one instead of something else - there's something at least somewhat different about it compared to its competition. Whereas there is absolutely no point to playing a Z-23 if you happen to own a Lo Yang.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So, the Musashi is now out and according to at least trusted ship reviewer LittleWhiteMouse is actually extremely cool and a fun ship to play.

I honestly don't know what to do, should I still get the Missouri or jump straight for the Musashi? Is the Missouri fun to play?

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Der Shovel posted:

So, the Musashi is now out and according to at least trusted ship reviewer LittleWhiteMouse is actually extremely cool and a fun ship to play.

I honestly don't know what to do, should I still get the Missouri or jump straight for the Musashi? Is the Missouri fun to play?

If you're going to get the free-XP premiums, you should be going Missouri > Nelson > Musashi.

Missouri is going away soon, and prints credits like nothing else.

Nelson is unique, and a strong ship for its tier when played correctly.

Musashi is just a slightly nerfed Yamato that sometimes benefits from extremely unfair matchmaking.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

davejk posted:

Missouri is going away soon, and prints credits like nothing else.

But is it fun to play?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It’s an Iowa with radar, I enjoy it.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Der Shovel posted:

But is it fun to play?

Do you like high tier American BB play?

If yes, yes.

If no, no.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
It is all about positioning, using your stealth to ambush people, and knowing when to use your radar and when not to.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

xanif posted:

Do you like high tier American BB play?

If yes, yes.

If no, no.

Well I do quite like my Alabama, which is the highest tier American BB play I've experienced.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Der Shovel posted:

But is it fun to play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i0gSGgaWJk

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 20, 2018

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

Well I do quite like my Alabama, which is the highest tier American BB play I've experienced.
Imagine your Alabama with 9.4km radar, and good enough dispersion to one one shot a dd at 13km with only overpens.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Today in botes:

Thats a pretty nice start to a day

:smith:

:smithicide:

sigh.

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

Der Shovel posted:

But is it fun to play?

I just got it and am having fun. So yes?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't know how but I'm waaay better at the Missouri than I am with the Iowa.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

All of my stats in the Missouri are significantly better than my Iowa stats, but my win rate with it is absolutely trash. Starting to think I finally found my cursed ship.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

I mean, they aren't wrong exactly, that is just a mindblowingly stupid reason though.

littlewhitemouse.txt

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
General win rate of Missouri is somewhere around 54% while of Iowa is around 48%. Sort of make sense because while you can fail upwards to Iowa to fail upward to Missouri is at the least much more time consuming.

Tathris posted:

All of my stats in the Missouri are significantly better than my Iowa stats, but my win rate with it is absolutely trash. Starting to think I finally found my cursed ship.
I am the opposite. I have 62% win rate in Missouri but my stats are crap.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I imagine if your WR is crap but your stats are decent that you might not be taking advantage of the radar to properly gently caress up DDs early-game, a well-positioned Missouri can effectively end a push on one or more caps.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

So it's been a while: what's the deal with UK BB's? Should I always be using HE? Is it situational?

Yeah you can basically use HE almost exclusively. But if you run into Admiral Tunnelvision, or somebody beached, or is stuck broadside driving through a torp salvo go ahead and load AP for the next shot. At the lower tiers you can get citadels against the old thinly armored cruisers from the 20s and 30s, and at higher tiers, ships like the Neptune/Kutuzov can eat them too. The Monarch arguably has the worst HE shells in the line so I tended to use AP more than the other ships. Cruisers trying to torp rush me was usually the only time I went AP in some of the other ships.

Anyone else remember the original version of hotspot? Where it split your team into two in opposite corners of the map?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Lakedaimon posted:

Anyone else remember the original version of hotspot? Where it split your team into two in opposite corners of the map?

Yes. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

But is it fun to play?

:cabot:

I have games where I potato and do 20-50k, usually because I try to use my radar to push caps and get too optimistic about my teammates supporting me. But I also had a brawl with two Iowas in a cyclone and won so.

It is a very good boat with decent armor, AAA, and accurate guns. The radar goes a long way towards dealing with destroyers and other annoying things.

Like I am a solidly mediocre tier 8/9/10 BB driver ( not enough experience ) and I enjoy it.