Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Oh yeah I agree with both of you I just like bringing it up because it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The lewdest authors tend to surprise people for some reason.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
they are not girls but im still having a really hard time not calling dia "she".

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm reminded of one of the translated author interview bits from a volume of Witchcraft Works that was something like "Yeah this chapter is here because I was feeling a shortage of animal ears".

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Eela6 posted:

Something something cleavage

Mostly felt accurate in this show, but I can only speak for Amethyst and Dia. Maybe someone with more cleavage experience could chime in.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

also the fact that sensei shapes them to look like each other when they are born has implications.
One that he likes them to look like girls, and that kinda gives me the creeps. It also further raises suspicion on him, even if its unwarranted

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Wild Horses posted:

they are not girls but im still having a really hard time not calling dia "she".

Dia has very feminine mannerisms so that's not too surprising.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Wild Horses posted:

As long as you admit you're wrong to do so

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

also the fact that sensei shapes them to look like each other when they are born has implications.
One that he likes them to look like girls, and that kinda gives me the creeps. It also further raises suspicion on him, even if its unwarranted

have you read the manga? not necessarily disagreeing with that take perse but in the manga they definitely seem more androgynous, their eyes are a lot more narrow and lack the sparkliness of the anime designs. a lot of them even have eyes as narrow as sensei, which does make them read a lot more androgynous.

the more muted color palette and lack of VAs also contributes to this, ofc.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Dia has very feminine mannerisms so that's not too surprising.
ironically to me they read as one of the more masculine ones, a lot of their personality is very much based in old yaoi tropes, or like, male villains in a magical girl series. to me they remind me of like, the 'cute' one in an shoujo harem series, even, like hani from ouran or something. they have this cuteness to them and those occasionally nurturing mannerisms but a lot of their needs and wants are based in competition and comparing themselves to others, and a need to be active for the people they care about, and they're obviously one of the more determined fighters of the bunch.

of course a lot of this is association with bort, who's their own complex thing.

i think its interesting how the lack of gender kind of frees them from falling into simple boxes, even when they are playing around with fairly well-worn character archetypes. part of that is just good, rounded writing, Dia's made up of a lot of conflicting and contrasting parts that make them a more interesting character, but they are pretty well served by how the series handles the gems in general.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 19, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Sensei shapes them to look like the sparkling super hot andro guys from old-school shoujo which is very gap moe since he seems like more of a bear gay

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Oh shut lol, now I'm the gemderer

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
There is a dangerous moe gap opening between us and Japan

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

[spoiler]have you read the manga? not necessarily disagreeing with that take perse but in the manga they definitely seem more androgynous, their eyes are a lot more narrow and lack the sparkliness of the anime designs. a lot of them even have eyes as narrow as sensei, which does make them read a lot more androgynous.

yeah and yeah. Maybe "girls" was the wrong word, how about

DisDisDis posted:

sparkling super hot andro guys from old-school shoujo

like ultra delicate flowers or something. I'm guessing they look like lumps of rock before sensei carves them up :)

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 19, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They don't read as bishounen to me :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

well they do to the author who talks at length about how she gave them the handsome faces of men, so

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

well they do to the author who talks at length about how she gave them the handsome faces of men, so

...so...?

I can give antarcticite and bort, but the rest...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

so im gay

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

so im gay

I don't think I'm tracking

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

im not gay but i wish i was

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

an actual dog posted:

I'm officially banning heterosexuals from watching anime

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
You've got a JoJo av so you're at least 50% of the way there

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
A reminder that the one 100% confirmed explicitly male character that does show up is a pretty slug boy with a waistline to die for, strutting around in what I assume to be fish life attempts at emulating high heels. A lot of it is just art style and the authors appreciation for pretty boys. The insistence on perceiving them as feminine seems partially informed by ideas of what masculinity is not allowed to be.

That's my hot take, hope you like it.

Good show by the way. Thanks to all of you that chose to recommend it in the Best Anime Thread.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

But I like anime.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Not really modern but oldschool Moto Hagio guys very much, or really like Patalliro!

To a certain extent some older boys' media was like this to, like some of the guys in Saint Seiya. Honestly Pad is the most flagrant "look at this hot old style bishi" character to me, esp with the va work.
A lot of the discussion around their gendered attributes has been really funny to me because stuff like the afforementioned tiny shorts that people insist means they're girls and the femme andro style of their designs I think is really coming from a certain portrayal of masculinity in girls' media.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Also the pretty slug boy is really hot, thank you for your time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked the girl slug more because she was voiced by magilou

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I like her because girls who are called king are really cool to me for some reason.

I was gonna make a joke here like "DO NOT post the KOF character" but actually feel free

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just like cute things

Male, female, human, rock, slug, if they're cute, I like them

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

paddy is definitely a different presence than the other gems. kinda masculine and sexy

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

DisDisDis posted:

Also the pretty slug boy is really hot, thank you for your time
Wisdom

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

paddy is definitely a different presence than the other gems. kinda masculine and sexy

It's one of the cool things about the gender presentation in this show that of that couple Rutile has really short cut hair and imo comes off much more feminine

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

well except for bort

bort is bort
edit: bort is also the reason why i think of dia as such a feminine character.

DisDisDis posted:

It's one of the cool things about the gender presentation in this show that of that couple Rutile has really short cut hair and imo comes off much more feminine

yeah they're good couple. I like rutile

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 20, 2018

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I should get the manga for More Gems because I went into the show kinda excited about Paddy, really enjoyed them and their whole vibe, and then they went to sleep again. :v:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

don't worry, there's more pad in the future~

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Good because I miss them and I also want to stop feeling sad about Phos!!!!!

But that's impossible!!!! :argh:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Old phos is gone.

manga spoiler: also is phos turning human or what

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I just like cute things

Male, female, human, rock, slug, if they're cute, I like them

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ruby Rose :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I can't remember if this was posted before but I was looking for a tweet and found this and it's really good
https://twitter.com/k22968982/status/952828698020888576

• Locked thread