Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Neon Belly posted:

There's an implication of sorts.

Then explain how you haven't advanced beyond the basic but scoot? hmmmmm

Odddzy posted:

A guy that's done bjj for five years with a wrestling background that trains 3-4x a week is probably someone i'd put more money on in a fight against a moped than you.

I agree. I was just making the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Do you play a pretty heavy deep half/ half guard game mostly? Because I do and I have the same problem.

Mostly just half, a little deep half. I messed up my knee right when I got my blue belt so I've spent the last 2 years playing half guard bottom almost exclusively.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

willie_dee posted:

Then explain how you haven't advanced beyond the basic but scoot? hmmmmm

Explanation: I treat bjj as a hobby attached with a social club.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

Explanation: I treat bjj as a hobby attached with a social club.

And light homoerotic touching?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

And light homoerotic touching?

Only if the eyes meet.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Defenestrategy posted:

edit: on that note, why are single legs with head outside illegal in white belt in ibjjf?
You can get spiked onto the crown of your head and paralyzed when you keep your head to the outside in a single leg. (I think they call it a DDT in pro wrestling.)

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Yuns posted:

You can get spiked onto the crown of your head and paralyzed when you keep your head to the outside in a single leg. (I think they call it a DDT in pro wrestling.)

This. Novice stand up grapplers are the most dangerous thing because of how unpredictable and undisciplined they are.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Judo has equivalent rules which can result in the attacking player getting DQed for his own safety.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does the competition rule mean that people at the gym train into putting their head on the inside?

I don't think sanshou has a specific rule against it. There's this foul:
"Utilizing throwing/wrestling techniques which force the opponent to land on his or her head, or deliberately smashing down the opponent."
But anyone executing a defense to a takedown could justify it was not forcing it. Totally makes sense to put the burden on the attacker.

That said, a single leg where you just leverage them by the caught kicking leg while your head is away from their chest is an extremely common sanshou takedown.
First example I could find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8nCgNTByiE&t=124s

2:20 shows a variation where the catcher knows he can't swing the kicker by his leg so chains that into a trip from the other side.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

kimbo305 posted:

Does the competition rule mean that people at the gym train into putting their head on the inside?
The best approach to a single (for purposes of BJJ) is enter with your head on the inside. There are a number of reasons why this is preferable. Your head only pops to the outside momentarily when you "run the pipe" to take them down off the single.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 20, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e: ok, here's an explicit counter to a diving head outside takedown:
"head snap and lift leg"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnDt7gbUCxY&t=313s
Could easily spike attacker on the head.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yuns posted:

The best approach to a single (for purposes of BJJ) is enter with your head on the inside. There are a number of reasons why this is preferable.
I guess my question was whether competition rules get brought up soon enough that it will reinforce the instruction.

quote:

Your head only pops to the outside momentarily when you "run the pipe" to take them down off the single.
I think the technique I was showing above is running the pipe without fully closing first, relying on their off-balancing themselves with the kick.
I'l try to gif one if I can find cleaner video of it.

e: https://i.imgur.com/jdgn7Sf.mp4

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 20, 2018

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So I've been working out at my fiancée's boxing gym for the last two weeks, and that has been good for getting fitness up. Today I had my first day beating up other guys with sticks in many years, and it didn't kill me nearly as bad as I thought it would. Training is good!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

So this finally happened:

https://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/watch-female-mma-pro-vs-internet-troll-kristopher-zylinski/

She got him with an armbar.

"I was able to dominate until my condition gave out"

:ughh:

edit: I cant believe this guy was winded 2 minutes into it. He is incredibly out of shape.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 23, 2018

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Who's Kristopher Zylinski and what name does he post here under?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

So this finally happened:

https://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/watch-female-mma-pro-vs-internet-troll-kristopher-zylinski/

She got him with an armbar.

"I was able to dominate until my condition gave out"

:ughh:

edit: I cant believe this guy was winded 2 minutes into it. He is incredibly out of shape.

I suspect that he's not 100% untrained. I roll with many many big, athletic white belts and he has far better grappling instincts than most, so he has probably taken a few jiu jitsu classes at least.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I suspect that he's not 100% untrained. I roll with many many big, athletic white belts and he has far better grappling instincts than most, so he has probably taken a few jiu jitsu classes at least.

He mentions that he watches jiu jitsu videos on like youtube or whatever. His problem is not being able to hang in the fight with his cardio. I will do 10, 20 minute long rolls in the gym to the point where I am so physically exhausted that I can barely move. Thats part of training and its the part I dont think he gets and is ultimately the reason he taps. His argument was very centered around size and strength, while at the same time ignoring technique and cardio.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

His striking is pretty bad, guard too low, kicks arent fluid.

He has good instincts wrt grappling, I didn't see him do anything super super stupid, which is better than a lot of people who come in off the streets only looking at UFC or youtube. She flubbed the crap out of the single leg attempt/made a really lazy attempt at a single and he jumped on it and took her back. If he had any more experience he could have easily produced a credible RNC attempt out of it. Other than that he appears to be doing strong new guy jiu jitsu and over exerts himself because of it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Defenestrategy posted:

His striking is pretty bad, guard too low, kicks arent fluid.

He has good instincts wrt grappling, I didn't see him do anything super super stupid, which is better than a lot of people who come in off the streets only looking at UFC or youtube. She flubbed the crap out of the single leg attempt/made a really lazy attempt at a single and he jumped on it and took her back. If he had any more experience he could have easily produced a credible RNC attempt out of it. Other than that he appears to be doing strong new guy jiu jitsu and over exerts himself because of it.

This is the problem with people who only learn to grapple with BJJ, they have no mean poo poo they can pull out in a grudge match like a power double or riding a shinlock for 10 minutes until the other guy's calf looks like a rotten banana.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yeah gently caress that guy.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I will do 10, 20 minute long rolls in the gym to the point where I am so physically exhausted that I can barely move.

You roll for 3 hours at a time?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is the problem with people who only learn to grapple with BJJ, they have no mean poo poo they can pull out in a grudge match like a power double or riding a shinlock for 10 minutes until the other guy's calf looks like a rotten banana.

I almost knee jerked disagree'd but as I thought about it the only super mean crap I know I learned from my time doing Catch Wrasslin', the only mean poo poo I learned in BJJ is "Don't do this or you will injure the absolute crap out of the other guy" stuff.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

He gave up before she even put any pressure on his arm..he knew exactly what was about to happen...and yet he still can't fully admit that he was wrong.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone who has ever trained knew this would turn out one of two ways, anyway, with him either getting clowned or exposed as a weirdo sandbagger.

Tara La Rosa didn't look great, but she also looked like she was only going 50% (meaning, fighting without any kind of urgency).

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Troll guy for sure has taken some classes before. Apparently Tara Larosa has been grappling competitively for over 15 years, so I kinda expect way better than what she showed.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

You roll for 3 hours at a time?

We roll for approximately 30 minutes (switching between partners at the 6 minute mark) during class and then some of us stay after class and I have had rolls go between 10 minutes and 20 minutes long with 1 person.

I'm dead after that...

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 23, 2018

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
That was really interesting and I'm glad the guy got clowned. She looked like she was being gentle and doing it in good spirits.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

riding a shinlock for 10 minutes until the other guy's calf looks like a rotten banana.

You mentioned you liked doing shinlocks and I know nothing about them besides I believe Josh Barnett using one during one of his metamoris matches. Is there a good video on positions or concepts on the subject?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Was it supposed to be a full-contact match up? Seems risky for someone who does this as their job to risk injury.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 24, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

Was it supposed to be a full-contact match up? Seems risky for someone who does this as their job to risk injury.

I assumed no elbows, but can't really trust an internet rando. Looked like "if you escalate, I escalate" intensity.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

You mentioned you liked doing shinlocks and I know nothing about them besides I believe Josh Barnett using one during one of his metamoris matches. Is there a good video on positions or concepts on the subject?

Come back to NY and I'll give you a lesson :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVhJRHQDsyE

This is the basic idea, you want to be on the inside of their shinbone. I tend to use my knee or shin for it while pinning their leg to the mat more than my elbows, as a part of my passing game and also to punish people who sit in guard as a matter of principle.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

As an aside, I've had a couple different black and brown belts come up to me when I've used a shinlock to tell me it's not a real submission and that while it's painful, you won't break someone's leg or cause injury with it and I should try something else. Which pisses me off, because it absolutely can cause serious damage and if you're telling basically telling your guys not to tap to a sub because it isn't "real" then you're going to get them hurt. But I can't exactly yell at a black belt while I'm wearing a white belt so I usually just shrug.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Thanks man, I'll definitely come over next time I pay a visit once the knee is back on track (meniscus and calf elongation apparently according to the physio). I remember Josh Barnett using them like you, leg on calf to pass.

As much as I like BJJ, I've really started to take a liking to cross training.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Come back to NY and I'll give you a lesson :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVhJRHQDsyE

This is the basic idea, you want to be on the inside of their shinbone. I tend to use my knee or shin for it while pinning their leg to the mat more than my elbows, as a part of my passing game and also to punish people who sit in guard as a matter of principle.

I saw this in a seminar once with some of the black belts from Paulista De Jiu Jitsu Sao Paulo came up and showed this. They showed catching both shins when they got your back. Then he demonstrated it on me and holy gently caress does that hurt.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

As an aside, I've had a couple different black and brown belts come up to me when I've used a shinlock to tell me it's not a real submission and that while it's painful, you won't break someone's leg or cause injury with it and I should try something else.

That's "SLICERZ DONT ACTUALLY INJURE PEOPLE" level of dumb. You can absolutely fracture or break their femur with a properly executed shin lock if you're heavy and strong enough at worst or at least cause a distracting amount of bruising to make your opponent less effective in a fight.

quote:

But I can't exactly yell at a black belt while I'm wearing a white belt so I usually just shrug.

I thought you and Yunz where the most experienced of the SA grapple squad?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There's no belts in sambo.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

ImplicitAssembler posted:

He gave up before she even put any pressure on his arm..he knew exactly what was about to happen...and yet he still can't fully admit that he was wrong.

IDK if everyone watched the whole thing, but @ around 10:40 timestamp the guy taps to... nothing? He just says "I'm dead" and taps. I missed this the first time trying to just fwd to the end and saw the armbar. This dude literally tapped to getting tired after all that poo poo talking, what tool. They did seem to have fun with it so that's cool.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

I thought you and Yunz where the most experienced of the SA grapple squad?

Can be an experienced grappler who has never put on a gi

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

I just assumed Hug choke man game recognized hug choke man game, illegal moves aside. Not sayin' you shoot up straight to a black belt just because you're super experienced in no-gi or some other hug man sport, but if Josh Barnett* had told me something about leg locks and I was a BJJ black belt I'd have at least considered the advice/knowledge.

*Yes I know he's a Rigan black belt through Paulson, but the dude very rarely puts on the gi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JaySB posted:

Sambo has jackets too. I think it's more that I crosstrain at a BJJ club that has like 30-person classes and none of the coaches really know me at all. I'm honestly not sure how you're supposed to get belt promotions there.