Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Bayonnefrog posted:

Cool. So are you from the LA area then?
huh? I'm derek smart. weird question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://clips.twitch.tv/CautiousUninterestedSangPeteZaroll

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Propagandist posted:

"All rise," bellowed the bailiff.

A tired, annoyed judge, hunched over, walks in. He doesn't look at the defendants, nor the plaintiffs, nor the audience. He knows how this is going to go. He just has to get through it, he tells himself.

"You may be seated," he says, his voice tailing off into a sigh. Exasperation had gripped him for a week, and he saw no use in hiding it today.

"Now, we begin today wi-," he starts, but an airhorn blows from the back of the room. His temper had already risen all morning. He was just waiting for one poke to push him over the edge.

"THE COURT WILL BE IN ORDER!" he shouts, slamming the gavel down again and again, tripling in noise with every slam, every second.

"ya whoa," someone mutters from the back.

The judge's eye quivers, a vein protrudes from his temple. "Excuse me?" he asks, incredulously.

"ya whoa did ehp did eh woah did," said the timid voice again, but louder. Giggles are heard from the general area.

"ORDER, ORDER, I WILL NOT HAVE THESE DISRU-!" he tries to exclaim, cut off by a short burst of another airhorn, from a different corner.

"LET HIM loving FINISH!" growls Derek Smart through convulsions of laughter, tears streaming down his face.

:golfclap: Solid Gold.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Jason Sextro posted:

I remember this too - there was talk about open-sourcing their libraries so that the rest of the world could have the performance issues and GPU melting of Star Citizen :lol:

That period that was "peak Chris Roberts fever dreams" was my absolute favourite. Every 10 for the Chairman brought so much gold.

Skadden should pay goons to act as expert witnesses.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Terebus posted:

Skadden should pay goons to act as expert witnesses.

Why? They probably already paid Lowtax at least :10bux: and the ROI on that is fantastic.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I have extremely risky sources.

They've provided me Chris Roberts' private design document:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3PnQ3tgzY

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and I know, you're saying, BUT THEAGENT, TURBULENT IS JUST THE WEBPAGE, they don't do demos or videos or anything to do with star citizen oh wait holy poo poo

quote:

Turbulent - Job Opening
Lumberyard / CryEngine Capture Artist - 6 months (Temp)

We are looking for a Lumberyard / CryEngine cinematic artist to join the Star Citizen project! If you have a creative spirit coupled with expertise in Lumberyard / CryEngine, we want to hear from you!

The candidate will be required to supervise and capture the Star Citizen game sequences that will be used for advertising purposes and the creation of game trailers. Primarily, the candidate will act as director and director of the game within the game, applying real world cinematographic principles - such as image selection, depth of field / field of view, camera movement to get the best possible images. We need someone who can push the boundaries of the game, accepting specific instructions when necessary.
I'm hearing that they did the entire sq42 vertical slice

lol holy poo poo

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

XK posted:

If we got people blowing airhorns at peoples' houses, instead of heavily armed SWAT teams arriving, that would be a wonderful development for online conflicts.

That poor guy in Kansas wasn't even the only person hurt in swatting... this happened in 2015, but fortunately the bullets were rubber. He was still severely injured from said rubber bullets.

Speaking of, they charged the swatter in the Kansas shooting with involuntary manslaughter. Of course they didn't charge the police with anything.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
Has anyone seen my scam.gif recently? I lost the link because I'm not an imgur oval office

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
MOMA COME OUT TO PLAY!!!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
https://clips.twitch.tv/CheerfulShakingLegLitFam

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TheAgent posted:

and I know, you're saying, BUT THEAGENT, TURBULENT IS JUST THE WEBPAGE, they don't do demos or videos or anything to do with star citizen oh wait holy poo poo

lol holy poo poo

I know they were credited with the 890 jump and taking over a bunch of other concept art duties but if they made the Sq42 vertical slice that would mean that, unless I'm mistaken, every major vertical slice or gameplay showcase to date that is more complex than a dude walking around in a basic cryengine map was crafted by a third party.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

TheAgent posted:

lol holy poo poo

Turbulent isn't listed as an authorized 3rd party developer in the GLA lol

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Dressed up like a million dollar trooper.
Spending every dime, for a wonderful time.

Super duper.

- "Blue Cheese" Taco

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

I know they were credited with the 890 jump and taking over a bunch of other concept art duties but if they made the Sq42 vertical slice that would mean that, unless I'm mistaken, every major vertical slice or gameplay showcase to date that is more complex than a dude walking around in a basic cryengine map was crafted by a third party.
yea

they also do all the "lore" posts (I don't know why there's like 6 people in the lore office section at CIG), the copy editing for sales, the artwork for almost all concept art/concept sales, videos, etc

they are basically star citizen at this point

lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nicholas posted:

Turbulent isn't listed as an authorized 3rd party develoepr in the GLA lol
:vince:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
(tbf they could've had cryteks approval later down the line)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

XK posted:

Wrong company? Burned.

Buy one Called It get one free!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
fyi skadden legal dude, please go ahead and ring up turbulent, there's quite a few people there willing to have a nice chat

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this made me lol

quote:

Perks at Turbulent?
  • Sammy, Kim's cute little bitch
  • Flexible hours
  • 3 weeks of vacation per year
  • On-site gym / ping pong / yoga
  • A beer fridge that opens at 4pm on Friday as soon as the timesheets are filled!
  • Dynamic social committee that surprises you with smoothies or ice cream when you least expect it
  • Group Insurance
  • Pension plan
  • Access to a virtual platform of health care (I explain to you as soon as you are hired)
  • A knitting club! (why not!)

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Nicholas posted:

Turbulent isn't listed as an authorized 3rd party develoepr in the GLA lol

But - Turbulent is in Canada, so surely they are exempt from licence requirements and other such nonsense, eh?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
producer position at turbulent

quote:

Coordinate the various promotional events during the year (space ship sales, spontaneous promotional offers, coupons, events such as Gamescon, communications for the marketing team, etc.)

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TheAgent posted:

yea(I don't know why there's like 6 people in the lore office section at CIG)

If you ever find out what those 6 people do in that room all day I'd probably be amused to hear it.

Turbulent is also CIG's favorite whipping boy for ship stats being hosed up during sales. Those clowns! They +1d all the gun hardpoints again!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

D_Smart posted:

MOMA COME OUT TO PLAY!!!

Please stop trying to kill me. I came back to the thread and that's what I saw. I might soon die of laughter.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

TheAgent posted:

producer position at turbulent

It can't be a good sign if Turbulent is getting snarky in their employment ads.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

TheAgent posted:

this made me lol

quote:

Dynamic social committee that surprises you with smoothies or ice cream when you least expect it

A kale smoothie poured over the bathroom stall wall on your head whilst reading the paper is aces.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

I bet it will be easier to remove all instances of Cry code from CIG pipelines than it will be to remove Ben from the building.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://as.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7rcw8q/star_citizen_around_the_verse_the_origin_of/dsvz1lv/

[time passes]

A Neurotic Corncob fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 19, 2018

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
https://clips.twitch.tv/AuspiciousSlipperyFungusJKanStyle
https://clips.twitch.tv/SlipperyConfidentCrocodileHassanChop

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zcrow posted:

Has anyone seen my scam.gif recently? I lost the link because I'm not an imgur oval office

this one??

XK
Jul 9, 2001

CIG v. Turbelunt, after Turbulent hooks up with Skadden:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aofoBrFNdg

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol so when disco is going "oh um its just taking a really long time to get up on youtube guys" he means "oh uh we haven't gotten it back from turbulent, the only company involved in this loving mess that actually does anything. and by anything, I mean absolutely loving everything"

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Mangoose posted:

Would Crytek even take a $10 million settlement at this point? I know gently caress-all about law or how all this would fly in court, but my biased and worthless opinion is that Crytek + Skadden are just running circles around CIG.

What could Crytek expect to be awarded in damages by a jury if things go well for them?
We haven't seen Crytek's damage model yet, but it's an interesting question.

Straight royalties doesn't seem valid, because that wasn't a benefit of the bargain that was actually made. The benefits they're missing out on are things like bug fixes from CIG) and copyright notices, and what's the real value of having code from CIG and being associated as the engine behind Star Citizen's 15fps? Luckily for CIG, the worse they are, the lower their damages should be!

Copyright damages I don't really know, but the existence of Lumberyard could cut into these, because Faceware seeing CIG's code less of a big a deal if they could see the same thing for free in Lumberyard.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

truly a scoundrel.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AngusPodgorny posted:

Straight royalties doesn't seem valid, because that wasn't a benefit of the bargain that was actually made. The benefits they're missing out on are things like bug fixes from CIG) and copyright notices, and what's the real value of having code from CIG and being associated as the engine behind Star Citizen's 15fps? Luckily for CIG, the worse they are, the lower their damages should be!

Copyright damages I don't really know, but the existence of Lumberyard could cut into these, because Faceware seeing CIG's code less of a big a deal if they could see the same thing for free in Lumberyard.

CIG signed the GLA in order to get a more favourable licensing deal than they would have got otherwise, yeah? I know very little about this sort of thing, but it seems fair to me that the damages for violating the GLA should be relative to the amount that they avoided paying in royalties by signing it.

You can't turn the clock back, you can't "re-exclusive" the game to cryengine and so fourth. If the only reason Crytek were willing to waive their usual royalty payments was for exclusivity, wouldn't re-imposing the usual royalty payments be a reasonable remedy for violation of the contract?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

AngusPodgorny posted:

If CIG is found to be broadly in breach of the private contract, it could easily fall back to Crytek's standard licensing percentage for royalties.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nicholas posted:

Turbulent isn't listed as an authorized 3rd party developer in the GLA lol

Why would they be? They're not using CryEngine. So. :colbert:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

How stupid. Crytek has rights to all engine improvements or modifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Isn't this just replacing ints with floats and patching whatever breaks?