Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Nope, not messing. 8 was my first Final Fantasy so I have an attachment to it's summons I guess lol. I need to learn more of my Final Fantasy pre 8.

I’ve still never played VI or V. I guess this is a good time to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

VI is really really good especially considering the massive limitations they had to make the game fit on an snes cart. It can be glitched like a motherfucker as a result, but is tied with FFT as my favorite final fantasies.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The SNES games can be a little difficult for "younger" (by which I mean folks in their 20s these days) (gently caress im old) players to appreciate these days because you have to keep in mind the context of their releases, and if you aren't literally living in 1991-1994 it can be a lot harder to do that. VI is still pretty cool, but in 1994 it was doing things people were a little unsure videogames could even do. The final boss having a fifteen-minute long four-piece suite as his theme (and yes, that's the typical time on the soundtrack; with a standard double loop for each piece, Dancing Mad comes out to just north of 16 minutes when played front to back) was unheard of and would've previously been seen as an extravagant waste of cart space and perhaps even composer time, but The Gooch & Uematsu did it anyway. It really was borderline revelatory at the time, and I can't fault people for not seeing how it was such now.

Anyway I just spent the better part of two hours marking out to the trailer and whatnot so

roll on Jan. 30th, I'll be in a coma until then

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think i have the gba version of vi lying around; is that a good version or does it really need to be played on the snes version to appreciate it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve still never played VI or V. I guess this is a good time to start

Both very good games. I played VI before, but I recently got both on Steam. V is pretty cool and gives you Blue Mage at the beginning of the game.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I just realized, in order to do suplexing the phantom train justice, I need to get MNK from 60 to 70 before 4.2 hits. =E

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Turns out, Nidhogg Ex is still kinda difficult even with a party of unsync'd 70s. We wiped 4 times on it.

Only when the PLD MT had 60k helath and the rest of the group was all >40k health did we finally manage to kill him.

I just wanted a sticker :(

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think i have the gba version of vi lying around; is that a good version or does it really need to be played on the snes version to appreciate it?

The GBA version has some roughness in the port, some extra bugs introduced, worse sound because of gba hardware, and the advance ports usually have some atb lag, but it does have some extra content and fixed some other bugs, such as magic evasion determining all your evasion instead of being split into two stats

It’s up to you to decide if you would prefer it portable or not

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RME posted:

The GBA version has some roughness in the port, some extra bugs introduced, worse sound because of gba hardware, and the advance ports usually have some atb lag, but it does have some extra content and fixed some other bugs, such as magic evasion determining all your evasion instead of being split into two stats

It’s up to you to decide if you would prefer it portable or not

Since the soundtrack is such a draw, it seems like a sin to compromise on that

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HenryEx posted:

Turns out, Nidhogg Ex is still kinda difficult even with a party of unsync'd 70s.

You need a party that understands the fight, for sure.

Once you get one, you can do things like skip Phase 1 Cauterize, destroy the Fang on the first stack, and reduce Nidhogg to 1% before he shifts to his final phase.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ainsley McTree posted:

It has a cleaned up version of the script (the SNES version isn't bad but it suffers a bit from cart size and Square of the time constantly giving poor Ted Woolsey impossible deadlines) and adds some of the bonus content they wanted in the SNES version but the audio is notably inferior.

I kind of want to say play the SNES version as that's the version that made people first fall in love with it (and really, you want to play it on a TV) but it's up to you and the GBA version does have advantages.

(The mobile version should be avoided at all costs however.)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So, do monks get anything? Like at all?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mazed posted:

So, do monks get anything? Like at all?

MNK: Riddle of Wind can grant GL stack(s), Brotherhood's damage increase effect now affects the casting MNK, Mantra & Perfect Balance recast times are reduced.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The first steps on the road to making tornado kick not garbage.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did he talk about these changes in the video or is there a site where this stuff is written down?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I mean emulating the snes version of vi is a thing, if you want to go down that route

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vermain posted:

Near as I can tell, it's actually a sprite of the final boss of Great Gubal Library.

Well that explains why I didn't recognize it as a FF6 at all.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
There's also a patch for the GBA version's ROM that adds SNES BGM and SFX.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I mean emulating the snes version of vi is a thing, if you want to go down that route

Sir, I am a man of integrity. How dare you

(I’m going to do that)

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I think the SNES classic version of VI is the original 1.0 release down to the sketch glitch.

...If you can find an SNES classic.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I think in terms of early gen games FFVI holds up extremely well. Great music, great ensemble cast, the battle system is pretty indistinguishable from VII except no limit breaks (kinda... they exist but you'll probably never see them). It was an extremely ambitious game for the SNES and it was pulled off really well.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So the BLM changes are upping potency, proc time, and making aetherial manipulation a 10s cooldown?

I remember someone also saying transpose is on an 8sec CD, which would be nice as well.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm hoping you can still easily make money selling 5 stacks when people go 999 for no reason

So the BLM changes are upping potency, proc time, and making aetherial manipulation a 10s cooldown?

They're adding 6 seconds to Thundercloud and Firestarter, lowering Transpose cooldown to 8 seconds, lowering AM cooldown to 10 seconds and "raising the potency of Fire 4".

Since BLM's problem is damage output everything just boils down to how big the Fire 4 potency buff is. (The Thundercloud thing helps with damage some in a weird way but it won't be enough on its own)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I thought BLM's issue was more with how tight the timing on your rotation is (whoops you had to move just then, back to the 2.0 rotation for the next 30 seconds) and less about your training dummy damage output.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
https://twitter.com/bey0ndtheearth/status/954427999302144001

...I feel like I should've seen this one coming.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

But they're gonna be 375?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Decided to craft some of the top CRP rowena turn ins, since they were starred and relatively cheap.
I even leveled up during the crafting, yay!

Went back to turn them in - now the craft isn't starred anymore, 'cause my level up added the next level of turn-ins to the list, which are now starred instead.

FUUUUUUCK :argh:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Now they just have to reveal that the sigmascape armor drops are the missing FFVI cosplay outfits (dragoon gets nothing since there is already a moogle suit).

HenryEx posted:

Decided to craft some of the top CRP rowena turn ins, since they were starred and relatively cheap.
I even leveled up during the crafting, yay!

Went back to turn them in - now the craft isn't starred anymore, 'cause my level up added the next level of turn-ins to the list, which are now starred instead.

FUUUUUUCK :argh:

:capitalism:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 19, 2018

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Thundarr posted:

I thought BLM's issue was more with how tight the timing on your rotation is (whoops you had to move just then, back to the 2.0 rotation for the next 30 seconds) and less about your training dummy damage output.

That's part of it (though dropping Enochian really means you are just losing foul procs unless you are losing it in less than 30 seconds) but a bigger part is that BLM dummy DPS is really bad for a class with zero raid support.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If that's the case then hopefully Fire IV goes up by more than 10 potency.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Thundarr posted:

No it's not that because really good BLMs are getting 98%+ uptime in all fights and they're still doing less DPS than Summoners.

This isn't even getting into the part where DRG/SMN/BRD/MCH/NIN can all buff each other's damage and the raid's damage while BLM doesn't do this.

It's literally would you rather bring a class that does 5000 DPS and buffs the other classes by 100 DPS or would you bring a class that does 4800 DPS and doesn't buff anyone.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Jose Valasquez posted:

I think in terms of early gen games FFVI holds up extremely well. Great music, great ensemble cast, the battle system is pretty indistinguishable from VII except no limit breaks (kinda... they exist but you'll probably never see them). It was an extremely ambitious game for the SNES and it was pulled off really well.

There's also a romhack called Brave New World that completely redoes a lot of the game's guts that I want to get around to playing someday.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wait is Summoner great now? I haven't played or looked at this thread in a few months so I'm out of the loop.

What of Machinist? Did they nerf Samurai?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Blockhouse posted:

Wait is Summoner great now? I haven't played or looked at this thread in a few months so I'm out of the loop.

What of Machinist? Did they nerf Samurai?

Summoner is boss, I think they hate MCH

KoB
May 1, 2009
God drat that Dancing Mad :getin:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Summoner is very strong and also fun to play now. I hated it so much in HW I didn’t even think to check it out in SB but they really fixed it up

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

FFVI BNW is supposed to be alright in terms of gameplay, but they saw fit to redo the dialogue to include gratuitous fuckwords and memes, which is very much not alright. If someone took it and just put the Woolsey script back in, it might be worth it.

Altogether, FFVI has aged about as gracefully as it's possible for a 16-bit game to age. It's one, alongside the likes of Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu 3, which demonstrated artistic mastery of a limited sprite-based medium, pushing such hardware about as far as it could go and possessing a real sense of style.

SpaceDrake posted:

MNK: Riddle of Wind can grant GL stack(s), Brotherhood's damage increase effect now affects the casting MNK, Mantra & Perfect Balance recast times are reduced.

Well hey.

Maybe they realize RoF feels terrible and are trying to sweeten it by giving us a shiny GL distraction prior to popping it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This is why I’m still convinced Omegascape will be FFVII-themed.

Whenever they get around to adding Sephiroth, I would love to see them split it into two parts and have the half everyone remembers be Savage only :unsmigghh:.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You know, i always kind of dreaded the instanced solo battles. They were pretty much universally boring, sometimes arbitrarily difficult, and mostly poorly communicated. Who has time to watch for floating text? They sucked, pretty much all of them in ARR.
The first one i was kind of impressed and had fun with was the grand company battle with the fight against Raubahn. A slight inprovement in HW, though most of them still sucked.

But man, the quota of Raubahn vs. Boring shifted pretty hard in SB. Most battles are fun and impressive, and even if they aren't (or are not battles), they are at least interesting. The Naadam owns bones, so did the first Zenos fight (and the second was only slightly worse).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Most of them aren't very fun to do as a healer, as you ineffectually shower your enemy in sparkles and rocks. Especially ones like Zenos when you want to dump a bunch of fel cleaves into them.