Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

TFRazorsaw posted:

Source? I can't find a news report about it.

The Switch version has it listed as free until the 24th of January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Mikedawson posted:

https://twitter.com/TORYEX/status/943049115209842688

You'll probably need to open the image in a new tab to get a full view.

I honestly wonder if there are any fan efforts by the japanese Sonic fandom to translate the comics. The japanese side seems very small, but dedicated in a very interesting way, and I'm sure japanese fans would enjoy what Flynn and company have to offer.

Wow, I can’t beliebe they left out so many characters in that picture. No Metal Sonic 3.0, Witchcart, or Comedy Chimp? What the gently caress

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Real hosed up for the tories to use sonic as their mascot imo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Infinite's boss themes are completely off the chain as well, and I love them.

The music that plays when you fight him with Sonic on the tree is amazing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The soundtrack is the one part of Forces that is actually unironically good

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally got around to beating this; seven emeralds, all medals (gold, of course), Egg Reverie cleared.

All in all I really liked this game. The new levels were great and the remixed levels were better than expected - not that I expected them to be bad, just I wasn't prepared for how extensively they retooled them. I remember wishing they'd put at least a few more original levels in when the list got leaked, but hey, in a roundabout way, I guess they did. What really surprised me though was how much I liked the bosses (well, most of them). Although the series has produced a few bosses I remember fondly, I don't really recall them being the games' strong suit. Here though, the bosses were great - especially the ones that flipped things on their head (the Puyo Puyo boss and the Scuba Robotnik boss are probably the two I enjoyed the most, if only for the sheer novelty). I also appreciated them sneaking in both halves of Sky Fortress piecemeal and the Tails Amy Doll.

Overall I think my favorite new level was Press Garden, and my favorite old level (reinvented) was Oil Ocean. As someone whose favorite Sonic stage of all time is Lava Reef though, I have to say I felt they did it justice (and even fixed its one glaring weakness by replacing both bosses with better ones), though I do miss running up the stairs in the second act only to see the Death Egg looming down over the cavern.

Clearing the blue sphere challenges was a lot of fun, though a couple of the later ones were a bit devious. Likewise, I wasn't quite prepared for how hard the special stages got. I breezed through the first four only to spend a good hour or so trying to clear the last three.

That said, I've gotta be honest, I didn't care for the Metal Sonic boss or the super secret final boss. I had to look up what to do for Metal Sonic's middle phase, and found it kind of a hassle to execute. The final boss I hated by virtue of how difficult Super Sonic is to control (especially using keyboard controls), and having to watch the opening cutscene like twenty times. It was a neat idea, but the inherent frustration of trying to maneuver, combined with how easy it is to accidentally perform a (useless) flash attack at the expense of some all-important rings, made me hate it. Sonic 3 & Knuckles still holds the title of best super secret final boss by way of building around Super Sonic's super slipperiness.

Also I'm guessing that cutscene at the end is Sonic getting sucked into the world of Forces, yeah? Sheesh.

Anyway, when's Mania 2: Electric Blue (Galoo)?

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 24, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Wow, I can’t beliebe they left out so many characters in that picture. No Metal Sonic 3.0, Witchcart, or Comedy Chimp? What the gently caress
If they can put the Sonic Underground hedgehogs in there, they should've put in AoStH Robotnik, Scratch and Grounder :colbert:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Merry Christmas, goons. The Sonic 3D Director's Cut is out now.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Super Sonic is now up for Sonic Forces on PS4, and it's completely free for a limited time.

I'd tell you all how it plays but that would require reinstalling the game and gently caress that.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I believe it plays the same as it does when you could (can?) hack the game to unlock it for free

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Super Sonic plays exactly like he did in the last 3 games (you're invincible and have unlimited Boost as Modern Sonic). I believe it's only available for the two Sonics though so no Super Shadow or Super Avatar.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I meant more in how going faster interacts with the sloppy level design. I can't help but imagine that SS is more of a hindrance here since you'll be crashing into walls forever.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Flytrap posted:

I meant more in how going faster interacts with the sloppy level design. I can't help but imagine that SS is more of a hindrance here since you'll be crashing into walls forever.

Much like Generations Super is only slightly faster than normal Sonic. The big thing is unlimited boost.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Flytrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0q7-gNGhuE

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Played some Mania via steam link with my younger sister that played Sonic 2 with me as a kid.

Unfortunately she smoked a little before hand and by Studiopolis was just too overwhelmed with goes fast to continue.

Was watch someone who hadn't played Sonic in years getting into it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So
The controls in Sonic Forces are kinda dogshit

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

"Kinda"?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I'm fine with the controls tbh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can't keep track of the amount of times the game just flat-out refused to listen to my inputs.
On top of the controls being terrible in the first place the game seems to just change the rules it expects you to follow every time you move to a new stretch of level
I've hosed up absurdly simple jumps because Sonic/My OC just refused to budge. Or was refusing to budge and then suddenly zipped forward out of nowhere. Or the game was magnetizing me towards the platform I was trying to jump away from because I was jumping to this alternate path at a moment that made visual and logical sense rather than having hit the invisible "switch path" trigger a mile back at the part where the game wanted me too. Or the game was automatically keeping Sonic centered on a curve but then just decided to stop doing that and have me go flying off anyway.

Sega needs to stop scripting every single part of their games. The fundamental mechanics of a game should be reliable, not something that suddenly functions completely differently every 15 seconds

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 31, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God Bless

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So is there any inkling at all as to what Sega's next project is going to be? Mania 2: Eggman Boogaloo is presumably a given but who knows what year we can expect that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Isn't there another Forces DLC coming out? I could swear I heard that there would be three, and so far we've had two with Episode Shadow and Super Sonic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Isn't there another Forces DLC coming out? I could swear I heard that there would be three, and so far we've had two with Episode Shadow and Super Sonic.

Pretty sure the third one was a bonus outfit for the Avatar that came out not long after Episode Shadow did.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

First was Shadow, second was Sanic, third was Super Sonic.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Cleary the next in line is Super Shadic

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Now that sanic is a part of the sonicverse, we need to make Toilet canon as well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Shadow the Hedgehog is already canon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Frankston posted:

Mania 2: Eggman Boogaloo is presumably a given

I hope Whitehead's negotiations are basically this at this point.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bad Seafood posted:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Who's Shadow? I only know about the brooding badass toting a porcelain-white gun and a glossy finish.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kirk Thornton finally nailed that Shadow voice in Forces, he sounds good now

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Augus posted:

Kirk Thornton finally nailed that Shadow voice in Forces, he sounds good now

Isn't that the Darkwraith dude in the first Dark Souls game whose armor damages people just by rolling into them?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I just finished Sonic 4 Ep 1 and I got to say gently caress Death Egg Robot for taking 31 hits to kill.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Isn't that the Darkwraith dude in the first Dark Souls game whose armor damages people just by rolling into them?

Finally, not putting you on ignore for your constant bad opinions pays off.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My better half adores Sonic Mania, and I mean completed it with all the characters several times and got all the chaos emeralds etc. Prior to this she did play Crash Bandicoot but got fed up with the more difficult levels and hasn’t played that in a while. Sonic by comparison she plays every day, even the levels and bosses she doesn’t like.

If anyone could point me in the direction of similar platformers available on PS4 for her to play that would be greatly appreciated.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Freedom Planet
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0736-CUSA05478_00-FREEDOMPLN000001

It started off as a Sonic romhack but then they put in their own Original Character.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bacon Terrorist posted:

If anyone could point me in the direction of similar platformers available on PS4 for her to play that would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, Freedom Planet is going to be the closest in gameplay style. She might also enjoy Tembo the Badass Elephant. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is another good choice if you want a fun colorful 2d platformer but it doesn’t really play similar to Sonic at all.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Dehry posted:

Freedom Planet
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0736-CUSA05478_00-FREEDOMPLN000001

It started off as a Sonic romhack but then they put in their own Original Character.

Freedom Planet is fantastic. YMMV on the story mode, which is optional. Personally, I think it's fine for an amateur effort, and I play with it on, but the general goon consensus is that it should be turned off. It made me nostalgic for the days when I was a dumb little kid reading bad Sonic fanfiction on SonicFoundation.net, so make of that what you will.

Has a real banger of a soundtrack, though.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My better half adores Sonic Mania, and I mean completed it with all the characters several times and got all the chaos emeralds etc. Prior to this she did play Crash Bandicoot but got fed up with the more difficult levels and hasn’t played that in a while. Sonic by comparison she plays every day, even the levels and bosses she doesn’t like.

maybe she should just get better and then be able to play more stuff instead of you having to literally ask others for recommendations for childrens games

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's hard to recommend other stuff like Sonic Mania because, well, nothing else does Classic Sonic as good as Classic Sonic. There's a reason that there was such a big demand for the gameplay to be brought back.