Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funny thing is that it's pretty cool as a concept. Like, if Nintendo charged for the mini games and then released detailed instructions on how to make the cardboard stuff yourself I think it would be pretty endearing, but instead they packaged, mass produced it, tacked on a ridiculous price, and threw in some whimsical marketing about "buy our thing and you are so creative". and in the end it amounts to a bunch of cheap peripherals that will break, get dirty, and be impossible to clean, because they are made of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its more like they finally found a way to subsidize their r&d work on games by farting out tech demo quality software that didnt make the cut for full production with a cheap construction kit for more than a real games msrp.

The robot thing is absolutely shiggys failed robot game

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 19, 2018

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Labo shares the space of PSVR except it's cheaper and the games are even more half assed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

And you cant even ignore your mom when wearing it

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Real hurthling! posted:

And you cant even ignore your mom when wearing it

Your mom will definitely stop asking you when you're gonna settle down with a nice girl/guy though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Liver Disaster posted:

Your mom will definitely stop asking you when you're gonna settle down with a nice girl/guy though.

She knows the answer is "as soon as nintendo makes a cardboard one"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The funny thing is that it's pretty cool as a concept. Like, if Nintendo charged for the mini games and then released detailed instructions on how to make the cardboard stuff yourself I think it would be pretty endearing

Evidently that's what they did.

The sticker price is for the software, you can make the cardboard bits out of any old cardboard and they say as much on their instructions for the peripherals.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Firing a full broadside in Black Flag gives me an almost sexual thrill. The noise and smoke effects are just right.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Evidently that's what they did.

The sticker price is for the software, you can make the cardboard bits out of any old cardboard and they say as much on their instructions for the peripherals.

That turned out to be not true.

I'm having trouble believing that any of the software is more substantial than a 99c mobile game but I could be wrong. I imagine the amount of entertainment to be had from games like "fishing pole" is pretty limited.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

poptart_fairy posted:

Firing a full broadside in Black Flag gives me an almost sexual thrill. The noise and smoke effects are just right.

I'm sure you're very excited for Skull and Bones, then.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm curious at least. :shobon:

Definitely getting the AC Rogue remaster now, though. Didn't get into Black Flag at first, but Origins put me on a creed binge.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
https://youtu.be/nl7QZ0qT6Xs

I’m still really not sold on Dynasty Warriors going open world, at least not how their doing it. It’s too weird to watch these powerful rich general guys wandering around in the wilderness alone gathering berries or whatever.

Edit: I mean also it just looks like a huge empty boring world with only unremarkable things to do.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 20, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

poptart_fairy posted:

Definitely getting the AC Rogue remaster now, though. Didn't get into Black Flag at first, but Origins put me on a creed binge.

If someone made the Black Flag sailing a full game I'd play the poo poo out of it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I've spent an unhealthy time just pissing about and raiding royal convoys. Only ever go onto land when I need to spruce up my home loot pile or play a few rounds of checkers.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

JBP posted:

If someone made the Black Flag sailing a full game I'd play the poo poo out of it.

Sid Meiers Pirates! with the Black Flag engine.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

https://youtu.be/nl7QZ0qT6Xs

I’m still really not sold on Dynasty Warriors going open world. It’s too weird to watch these powerful rich general guys wandering around in the wilderness alone gathering berries or whatever.
There's another trailer where they show how the open world impacts the battles and it actually looks kind of cool, almost like ROTK Shadow of War, things that have always been part of musou games are now expressed in terms of the open world. Like, all the little camps you'd have to fight over before taking on the main objective are now just camps on the world map, taking them over allows your allies to advance and you can watch as they march on the map. That stuff makes a lot of sense to me.

On the other hand you can go fishing and hunt wild animals for crafting materials, and decorate houses to invite your officer friends over (who sometimes show up in informal clothing whoa!!) and climb towers to find collectibles and just why? who wants that stuff.

I think the game I really want is DW9 Empires though, which I can only imagine would be like ROTK 10 + this game

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TheCenturion posted:

God dammit I want this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

JBP posted:

Skull and Bones by Ubisoft is literally Black Flag Sailing All The Time with (supposedly) a full-on PvE campaign and PvP for afterwards.

Bad news: it's going to be positively stuffed to the gills with microtransactions and lootboxes.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

TheCenturion posted:

Yep. This is the dream.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

There's another trailer where they show how the open world impacts the battles and it actually looks kind of cool, almost like ROTK Shadow of War, things that have always been part of musou games are now expressed in terms of the open world. Like, all the little camps you'd have to fight over before taking on the main objective are now just camps on the world map, taking them over allows your allies to advance and you can watch as they march on the map. That stuff makes a lot of sense to me.

On the other hand you can go fishing and hunt wild animals for crafting materials, and decorate houses to invite your officer friends over (who sometimes show up in informal clothing whoa!!) and climb towers to find collectibles and just why? who wants that stuff.

I think the game I really want is DW9 Empires though, which I can only imagine would be like ROTK 10 + this game
Yeah, those parts may or may not be okay, we'll see. It's mainly the idea of your general being alone when the central premise of DW has always been fighting against and alongside a billion people while shouting heroic platitudes at each other. Being alone is so, so wrong and they've spent so much of all the trailers showing that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 20, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poptart_fairy posted:

That's a bad game. A really bad game! I played through it to entirety on PC years ago and boy was that just a fuckin' grind with an awful story!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Started playing through TLOU again. Still GOAT. That's my story.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

That's a bad game. A really bad game! I played through it to entirety on PC years ago and boy was that just a fuckin' grind with an awful story!

That's sad, I heard Rogue was good. I skipped it because I didn't like the icy rather than tropical setting, which is probably a dumb reason but I thought other people had fun with it. Unless you're saying Black Flag was a bad game, in which case avast, pistols at dawn, walk the plank, etc.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

That's sad, I heard Rogue was good. I skipped it because I didn't like the icy rather than tropical setting, which is probably a dumb reason but I thought other people had fun with it. Unless you're saying Black Flag was a bad game, in which case avast, pistols at dawn, walk the plank, etc.

Rogue is Black Flag but with better gameplay and a worse story and characters. If you like Black Flag, you'll like Rogue because most players didn't give a poo poo about Black Flag's story either.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I admire your enthusiasm for all the games, but I would suggest completing the huge backlog you seem to have built in two weeks first.

I picked up a PS4 specifically for the exclusives.

So I made a list of the games I wanted to pick up and most of them have been on sale, so instant PS4 collection.

I'll eventually get around to them.. once I stop playing the non-exclusive AC:O :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Still not used to what utter utter trash the online store is tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm sure you're very excited for Skull and Bones, then.

Ubisoft has this idea that r6s's success is reproducible in other genres and will keep putting out cheap feature limited mp games every year until the end of time hoping they can just support them if they get hot and drop them if they dont.

What they dont realize is that a new unique shooter has infinitely more broad appeal than an arena fighter or an assassin creed spin off boat game. I can already see the trajectory of skull and bones following for honor: from smash sales hit at launch to player boycotts over server issues, balance and mtx, to nobody talking about the game ever to finally, next years announcement of whatever the new mp game is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Infinitum posted:

Still not used to what utter utter trash the online store is tho
When they made the PSN for the PS3's launch they clearly didn't think this whole online playing and buying games and stuff was going to be a big thing and didn't plan its most basic components very well. When the PS4 launched I was hoping it would be accompanied by an entirely new PSN that didn't suck in basically every way but nope! Same old fundamentally busted PSN.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Policenaut posted:

Yep. This is the dream.

I grew up playing that on the Commodore 64 and Tandy, and Pirates! Gold so much that even decades later, when the new version came out for Xbox, iPad et all, I could dead reckon from anywhere to anywhere, and find treasure and loved ones almost always from a single map piece.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TheCenturion posted:

I grew up playing that on the Commodore 64 and Tandy, and Pirates! Gold so much that even decades later, when the new version came out for Xbox, iPad et all, I could dead reckon from anywhere to anywhere, and find treasure and loved ones almost always from a single map piece.

Have you considered speedrunning

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

Pirates! Is one of my top five games ever. I spent an ungodly amount of hours playing it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gwenin par???

Wennin Zella?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Breetle Breck

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Pirates! Is one of my top five games ever. I spent an ungodly amount of hours playing it

Same.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Rogue is Black Flag but with better gameplay and a worse story and characters. If you like Black Flag, you'll like Rogue because most players didn't give a poo poo about Black Flag's story either.

Look at this terrible opinion. Rogue has far and away better characters and story.

Shay actually wants to participate in ongoing events, for one thing. Edward just eyerolls his way through most of Black Flag with no motivation of his own.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Boy, it's interesting replaying .hack now because just the initial newsfeeds make it clear that this future is dystopian as gently caress.

e: and still more optimistic than the world we're in now, ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Edward has no time for the Assassins' bullshit and that makes him a top protag of the entire series.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look at this terrible opinion. Rogue has far and away better characters and story.

Shay actually wants to participate in ongoing events, for one thing. Edward just eyerolls his way through most of Black Flag with no motivation of his own.

no, edward thinks the assassins and templars are idiots and tries to go with his own motivations (he wants to make money, I think for his wife/girlfriend?). he is eventually browbeaten into submission but frankly a protag that thinks the asscreed story is stupid is the most relatable any character has ever been in that series

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Ubisoft has this idea that r6s's success is reproducible in other genres and will keep putting out cheap feature limited mp games every year until the end of time hoping they can just support them if they get hot and drop them if they dont.

What they dont realize is that a new unique shooter has infinitely more broad appeal than an arena fighter or an assassin creed spin off boat game. I can already see the trajectory of skull and bones following for honor: from smash sales hit at launch to player boycotts over server issues, balance and mtx, to nobody talking about the game ever to finally, next years announcement of whatever the new mp game is.

Slight flaw in your logic in that they are still supporting for honor

e: good point tho devs should just make shooters instead of any other genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Wipeout Omega on sale, at least in AU! Picked that up in a second for the VR support.

Also grabbed golf club 2 for 20bux. Not really sure why. It's average at best. Jerks around ridiculously even on a ps4 pro.