Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone here use a fitness tracker GPS to map their hikes? If so, what are you using and would you recommend it?

I'd love to get a trace of my backpacking trips and trails when I get home, and I figured there's gotta be some decent wearables for this by now. I just lost my fitbit blaze (which I never really cared for in the first place), and my Samsung Gear Fit 2 bricked itself on an update, and my all-time favorite fitness tracker, the Basis Peak, was recalled by Intel awhile back, so I'm currently shopping around for something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

OSU_Matthew posted:

Does anyone here use a fitness tracker GPS to map their hikes? If so, what are you using and would you recommend it?

I'd love to get a trace of my backpacking trips and trails when I get home, and I figured there's gotta be some decent wearables for this by now. I just lost my fitbit blaze (which I never really cared for in the first place), and my Samsung Gear Fit 2 bricked itself on an update, and my all-time favorite fitness tracker, the Basis Peak, was recalled by Intel awhile back, so I'm currently shopping around for something better.

I use a Garmin vivo active hr to track all my hikes. The GPS drains the battery pretty good, but if fully charged should last an entire (full) day of hiking and if you're doing a multi-day trip it will pretty quickly charge on a portable battery pack.

I haven't done anything super fancy with the GPS tracking data, but it seems quite accurate.

You can get "apps" on your watch that will show a rudimentary route that you've hiked as you're doing it with the ability to add waypoints at points of interest or whatever.

If money wasn't an object I'd get one of the Fenix watches, because they have some more bells and whistles when it comes to guiding you back along your route and so on.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Josh Lyman posted:

The last time I checked in on down fill power, it was generally agreed that anything over 800 was basically marketing bullshit. But now I'm seeing 900 and 950 fill in a bunch of places. Is >800 fill legit now?

850+ FP is "better" in that you get the same amount of warmth for slightly improved weight. The cost is generally not worth it. 800 is kind of the sweet spot for bags, and maybe 550-750 for jackets.

chef
Nov 18, 2001

OSU_Matthew posted:

I absolutely love Gaia, but that's a phone app. No wearable will compare to the utility of the screen. In airplane mode battery is no problem.

Edit: just saw they went to subscription, not sure it's worth it now, may be a cheaper version if you just want stats and a track.

chef fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 16, 2018

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

OSU_Matthew posted:

I used a Suunto Traverse watch for all my outdoor activity in 2017, then bricked it a couple of weeks ago trying to do a firmware update with a broken USB cable.

I'm looking at replacing it with the newest Suunto: https://www.suunto.com/en-CA/Products/sports-watches/suunto-spartan-sport-wrist-hr-baro/suunto-spartan-sport-wrist-hr-baro-amber/ which does heart rate tracking plus all the multi-sport GPS stuff. Until I can convince myself to spend that much money on a watch I'm continuing to log my activity with the Movescount app on my phone. It's limited to GPS tracks but you can still get a fair bit of data for free.

Ascent and descent are kind of screwy on the phone - a watch with a barometer will use that plus GPS to better place you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chef
Nov 18, 2001

bringer posted:

Ascent and descent are kind of screwy on the phone - a watch with a barometer will use that plus GPS to better place you.

Phones have had barometers for years, and although I carry a handheld backup in winter (map too) I've never noticed any discrepancy up to 14k. Weather will affect any altimeter.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

chef posted:

Phones have had barometers for years, and although I carry a handheld backup in winter (map too) I've never noticed any discrepancy up to 14k. Weather will affect any altimeter.

I think it depends on whether the app will use the barometer or not. Strava (currently the big cycling and running app) I believe still does not use barometer readings to calculate its elevation changes, but relies on GPS.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Handheld GPS seems to do a better job overall, probably because there's less interference with the antenna and it can devote most of the software to better interpolation. With onboard barometric smoothing and WAAS it should be remarkably superior.

A cell phone will have lots of other electronics in there causing various signal degradation, and I don't know that any of them have WAAS support. There are apps that will use the barometer (see the UW Atmos crowdsourced weather app for example).

Nevertheless most cell GPS data I've seen seems to be rather raw, so you'll have to post process it. I think I have a comparison up somewhere but you'll have to wait until I get home from this trip to find it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Dear hiking goons, I seem to be a rare breed that can't tolerate even merino wool. Sometimes it's fine for 11 hours in a row and feels like second skin, but other times it itches ever so annoyingly. I got stuff like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and another brand in similar price range

Am I being too cheap or is wool just not for me? If it's the latter, what is a good choice instead? Intended use is mostly motorcycling and occasional day hiking in temperate weather, so not particularly sweat-inducing, but I want to try some backpacking later on.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Your link goes to a picture of a dog. Don't wear dog.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

pokie posted:

Dear hiking goons, I seem to be a rare breed that can't tolerate even merino wool. Sometimes it's fine for 11 hours in a row and feels like second skin, but other times it itches ever so annoyingly. I got stuff like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and another brand in similar price range

Am I being too cheap or is wool just not for me? If it's the latter, what is a good choice instead? Intended use is mostly motorcycling and occasional day hiking in temperate weather, so not particularly sweat-inducing, but I want to try some backpacking later on.

Could be you, could be cheap wool. Some of the course stuff makes me itch but most fine merino stuff feels like cotton to me. My step dad can't do any wool or it makes his neck break out. I used to think he was just buying lovely old coarse wool sweaters etc so I bought him a nice merino top and his neck was red after wearing it for a while. Some people might just be allergic to it.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

armorer posted:

Don’t listen to this poster. Dogs are actually really warm. The trick is to let them carry themselves and then take advantage of the warmth at night.

Not great for the daytime though. Too heavy and slobbery.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^Alpaca yarn is ridiculously soft, you might want to give that a shot... I don't know what kind of shirt options there are, but alpaca yarn makes for fantastic gloves and beanies. If that's no good, try fleece, since it's essentially synthetic wool.

Tsyni posted:

I use a Garmin vivo active hr to track all my hikes. The GPS drains the battery pretty good, but if fully charged should last an entire (full) day of hiking and if you're doing a multi-day trip it will pretty quickly charge on a portable battery pack.

I haven't done anything super fancy with the GPS tracking data, but it seems quite accurate.

You can get "apps" on your watch that will show a rudimentary route that you've hiked as you're doing it with the ability to add waypoints at points of interest or whatever.

If money wasn't an object I'd get one of the Fenix watches, because they have some more bells and whistles when it comes to guiding you back along your route and so on.

This is awesome, thanks! The Fenix wasn't even on my radar. That Suunto also looks pretty cool, though both are about double what I was hoping to spend... Maybe I can find a previous gen watch on fleabay decently cheap...

For content, went hiking at Glen Hollow Nature Preserve today, followed up with a few beers at Yellow Springs Brewery:

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I have the Garmin Fenix 5. You need to calibrate the altitude off of GPS before starting a climb. If you don't, the barometric altimeter will get all out of whack due to previous elevation changes in non-hiking modes of transport (e.g. car or plane). If you fly from the east coast to Denver, and then drive to Summit County, the altimeter will be out in left field regarding altitude.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^That's really great to know... Thanks!

Tsyni posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the Fenix watches--they weren't even on my radar!
I wound up getting a Fenix 3 HR Sapphire on fleabay, since the 5s are functionally the same watch, and I found a new watch for not that much more than the vivos.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 21, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
While I have a couple of Osprey backpacks for hiking I purchased the Mountain Hardwear Rainshadow 26 to keep in my Outback. I mainly use it for quick day hikes (1/2 day of less) and other random things. Lately I got into trail running, and for a couple of reasons I want to run with a pack (carry water, to put clothes in as I shed them, get use to wearing a pack, etc,). I just wanted something lite, waterproof, and compact (and cheap since it was $60), so what better reason to put something to use I already have. I started carrying this in December and during that time I've been running in jackets. This weekend I ran in just a t shirt and the pack rubbed the right side of my neck raw. So I guess in the end my question is what is the best way to adjust a pack to keep it from rubbing your neck? What am I doing wrong? Or is this just a case it is too narrow for my neck (that said I never had this issue until this weekend, but my jacket might of been offering protection)?

Here is a link to the pack -

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/ra...0180122134040:s

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

nate fisher posted:

While I have a couple of Osprey backpacks for hiking I purchased the Mountain Hardwear Rainshadow 26 to keep in my Outback. I mainly use it for quick day hikes (1/2 day of less) and other random things. Lately I got into trail running, and for a couple of reasons I want to run with a pack (carry water, to put clothes in as I shed them, get use to wearing a pack, etc,). I just wanted something lite, waterproof, and compact (and cheap since it was $60), so what better reason to put something to use I already have. I started carrying this in December and during that time I've been running in jackets. This weekend I ran in just a t shirt and the pack rubbed the right side of my neck raw. So I guess in the end my question is what is the best way to adjust a pack to keep it from rubbing your neck? What am I doing wrong? Or is this just a case it is too narrow for my neck (that said I never had this issue until this weekend, but my jacket might of been offering protection)?

I really love my Osprey Talon 22, which REI has for 75$ right now.

Basically the pack has a mesh back so it sits off your back, and the hip belt might hello transfer the weight and prevent the movement/rubbing you're experiencing. That being said, I feel like I see most runners wearing a hip belt, possibly for that reason? Maybe one of those might help... I wouldn't know for sure, I use my pack for hiking and cycling.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

pokie posted:

Just buy polypro.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

nate fisher posted:

If you're going to be running I'd really recommend getting a running pack. Hiking packs are generally sturdier and don't hug you as well, and tend to move around more. They are also heavier normally.

I have an Inov8 22l race pack which is fantastic but looks to be discontinued.
https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ino806/inov~8-race-elite-24-running-pack/

OMM packs are really good as well. https://www.theomm.com/product/classic-25/

These are UK brands but you get the idea. I generally would go for hiking type packs from 40l upwards.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

armorer posted:

I wish I could wear a dog. Here's a link to another site https://www.backcountry.com/icebreaker-sphere-crew-short-sleeve-mens - wtf amazon? It's a $60 shirt, but I am not sure if that's too cheap for merino or not - the price of this stuff kinda astounds me.

Here's a couple of pics from around Pescadero beach & nearby marshlands.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

knox_harrington posted:

If you're going to be running I'd really recommend getting a running pack. Hiking packs are generally sturdier and don't hug you as well, and tend to move around more. They are also heavier normally.

I have an Inov8 22l race pack which is fantastic but looks to be discontinued.
https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ino806/inov~8-race-elite-24-running-pack/

OMM packs are really good as well. https://www.theomm.com/product/classic-25/

These are UK brands but you get the idea. I generally would go for hiking type packs from 40l upwards.

Ok thanks. Originally when I looked for running packs all that came up was hydration packs or running vests. These are more what I'm looking for.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Another day, another fight on the local hiking facebook page about whether blasting Bluetooth speakers on the trail is a dick move or not.

The two camps are solidly divided and there will never be a resolution to this war. I joined the group because I thought it would be a good resource for trail conditions but now I wish it would be deleted. I can't stand seeing the vitriol people shoot at each other. They're all insane. No one is being reasonable or mature.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

kill everyone who blasts music

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

kill everyone who blasts music

:same:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
What are the two camps?

1. Kill everyone using Bluetooth speakers.
2. Kill everyone listening to music.

Exceptions: City parks. Paved trails. Continuous maintained gravel trails.

Exceptions do not apply to any restricted access trail. (If you have to pay to park/use, No Music.)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

While I agree that carrying speakers on the trail is beyond the pale, I don’t think leaving bodies all over the place is sufficiently LNT.

Maybe just find an efficient way to deafen them. Perhaps swift application of stakes to the eardrums?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just wear headphones you fuckers.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Just wear headphones you fuckers.

Is this addressed to the speaker-havers or the speaker-haters?

Because if it’s the later you should know that some people like to go into the woods to listen to the woods, not take their electronics for a walk.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

What are the two camps?

1. Kill everyone using Bluetooth speakers.
2. Kill everyone listening to music.

Exceptions: City parks. Paved trails. Continuous maintained gravel trails.

Exceptions do not apply to any restricted access trail. (If you have to pay to park/use, No Music.)

It should be legal to shoot people on sight for using speakers in a national forest.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Loucks posted:

Is this addressed to the speaker-havers or the speaker-haters?

Because if it’s the later you should know that some people like to go into the woods to listen to the woods, not take their electronics for a walk.

I'm having trouble telling if this is a joke or not.

Speaker-havers.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Speakers on the trail is lame. Speakers at camp is dope

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Loucks posted:

While I agree that carrying speakers on the trail is beyond the pale, I don’t think leaving bodies all over the place is sufficiently LNT.

You just have to bury them deep enough, then they become nutrient rich soil for the forest.

If you're above the treeline you have to spread the body thinly over some rocks though

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Naup you can't wear headphones while driving a car and you shouldn't be running down a trail with complete disregard for the animals and humans that are making noise so you don't go causing injuries by running into them. If you want to run with headphones find a city park, that is, the exceptions I specifically listed above for that scenario.

:commissar:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I tell them to stick to city trails because there's no expectation of escaping noise pollution so they can do whatever they want. I get called an elitist bitch trying to hog nature to myself. They're welcome to go to as long as they leave their lovely noise at home where it belongs.

It's amazing how difficult it is to convince someone that wilderness is best without having to hear Ed Sheeran or Chainsmokers or whatever blasting all of a sudden.

Their main argument is alerting bears. They argue it works best because they've never had encounter the entire 25 hours they spent hiking in their life. Guess that supersedes my hundreds of hours of no encounters using just my voice and actually stopping to observe the landscape when in meadows or alpine areas. Tell them that and they argue studies have been done which they of course refuse to provide because this is social media so any opinion is a fact look it up yourself.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You can get headphones that still allow you to hear what is going on around you :eng101:

All you guys trying to deny wildlife access to dope human jamz are cruel, cruel people.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I like the sound of my bear bell jingling.

Bear bell is love. Bear bell is life.

Ropes4u posted:

It should be legal to shoot people on sight for using speakers in a national forest.

America is a gun.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have had exactly one amazing encounter with someone blasting music on a trail.

My wife and I were on a hike that involved walking through the Paw Paw Tunnel, which is this ~3/4 mile long canal tunnel up in the mountains of MD. It is a cool spot and while you can see the light at the end of it, it is too dark to really walk through without a light and it is really claustrophobic and weird to walk through because it takes so long. In any case, I was planning having a little puff in the middle, as it would be a new "deepest underground buzz" for me. It was a rainy weekday, so we didn't see another soul for the entire day. We get about a quarter of the way in and I suddenly hear "The Joker" start playing softly in the distance. A cyclist has just entered the tunnel coming from the opposite direction. He was, shockingly, walking his bike as one is supposed to, and also blasting music. The echo effect was really cool and I decided that it would be appropriate to burn the joint that I was saving for that evening and enjoy the tunes. So we post up in the middle and as he passes me I offer it to him and he accepts, barely breaking stride to take a puff and head off into the darkness. It was pretty magical.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

pokie posted:

I wish I could wear a dog. Here's a link to another site https://www.backcountry.com/icebreaker-sphere-crew-short-sleeve-mens - wtf amazon? It's a $60 shirt, but I am not sure if that's too cheap for merino or not - the price of this stuff kinda astounds me.

I got one of those half price at a sale and the assistant was surprised there were any left. Still expensive but I'm pretty happy with it. I don't think I'd ever pay full price though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Naup you can't wear headphones while driving a car and you shouldn't be running down a trail with complete disregard for the animals and humans that are making noise so you don't go causing injuries by running into them. If you want to run with headphones find a city park, that is, the exceptions I specifically listed above for that scenario.

:commissar:

You want to murder people who are deaf? :ohdear: