Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Nephzinho posted:

Total or recently?

total. last 5 days is 550mil USDT though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Inept posted:

Fax machines are dumb and antiquated but they're more secure than a lovely doctor's office computer and are cheap enough to run. More and more fax machines are just networked scanner/copier/printer/fax combos though, so your doctor's office fax is probably still part of some botnet and some guy in Eastern Europe has all of your health records.

Yeah, that's why I think that blockchains could fit that part of Hipaa's criteria.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I understand the concept of Tether and the reasons that an exchange would print gobs of it in order to prop up the value of buttcoin traded there. What I don't get is why other exchanges are accepting these Chuck E. Cheese tokens and allowing them to be swapped for USD.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 19, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I understand the concept of Tether and the reasons that an exchange would print gobs of it in order to prop up the value of buttcoin traded on it. What I don't get is why other exchanges are accepting these Chuck E. Cheese tokens and allowing them to be swapped for USD.

The other exchanges just allow the true believers to trade them between themselves, and then the exchanges skim off every transaction. They aren't holding tether themselves

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

What I don't get is why other exchanges are accepting these Chuck E. Cheese tokens and allowing them to be swapped for USD.

The exchanges make fees on everything (NO FEES!) and don't (supposedly) buy/sell anything directly, they just match sellers to suckers

e: drat, forked the comment chain again. I need a better mining rig

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I've been using blockchains for over a decade it's called git lol
yes but a mayor hasn't proposed using git to cure homelessness

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Lemming posted:

The other exchanges just allow the true believers to trade them between themselves, and then the exchanges skim off every transaction. They aren't holding tether themselves

Okay, got it. Makes "sense."

But is there any way for some poor slob to go Buttcoin-->Tether-->USD ?

In other words, how is it possible to pull $$ out of one of these Tether-backed exchanges?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, that's why I think that blockchains could fit that part of Hipaa's criteria.

Hospitals are incredibly reluctant to let any data outside of their 4 walls, encrypted or not.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Yup through a couple of the exchanges, but not all.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

In other words, how is it possible to pull $$ out of one of these Tether-backed exchanges?

Try to sell tether through Craigslist and hope when you meet up you don't get stabbed

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Communist Q posted:

Yup through a couple of the exchanges, but not all.

That's what I don't get; why are they buying Tether for USD when they're not the issuer of said Tether? I hesitate to say "It makes no sense" because lol, but they have to know it's worthless, right?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

That's what I don't get; why are they buying Tether for USD when they're not the issuer of said Tether? I hesitate to say "It makes no sense" because lol, but they have to know it's worthless, right?

so they can use the tether to buy BTC or other crypto, sometimes on other exchanges (you don't want to transfer BTC between exchanges because of fees). i think some exchanges don't allow direct USD-BTC for some reasons?

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

Healthcare organizations in the United States (sometimes) use EDI formatted material that is Hipaa compliant, but a lot of documents that are supposed to be more secure are "electronically" transferred via fax machines. Actual transfers of electronic records that don't involve faxes need to be encrypted and all that garbage. Pretty much every doctor that I have ever been to or worked for needed to have poo poo faxed between offices.

Yeah doctors who won't take the steps to implement edi and ftp for records will surely make the leap to block chain. Sound logic.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Quotey posted:

so they can use the tether to buy BTC or other crypto, sometimes on other exchanges (you don't want to transfer BTC between exchanges because of fees). i think some exchanges don't allow direct USD-BTC for some reasons?

Thanks for the explanation; I think I've got it, but now my head hurts.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

If you want a more detailed explanation, check my post history in this thread, but you've got the gist of it. There's a lot sloshing around, but it's constantly changing hands.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Nill posted:

Does anyone still own Flooz? Relaunch that poo poo as an alt-coin and hype it up as the Trusted, Original Digital Currency while leaning hard into Web 1.0 nostalgia.

Someone please do this, I really like saying the word Flooz and want an excuse to do so

Wikipedia posted:

In 2001, Flooz.com was notified by the Federal Bureau of Investigation that a Russian organized crime syndicate was using Flooz and stolen credit card numbers as part of a money-laundering scheme, in which stolen credit cards were used to purchase currency and then redeemed.[2] Levitan has stated that fraudulent purchases accounted for 19% of consumer credit card transactions by mid-2001.[3]

Upon the company's closing, all unused flooz credits became worthless and nonrefundable.

Lol history loving repeats itself so much

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dick wizard posted:

Yeah doctors who won't take the steps to implement edi and ftp for records will surely make the leap to block chain. Sound logic.

Andy Dufresne posted:

Hospitals are incredibly reluctant to let any data outside of their 4 walls, encrypted or not.

I'm not sure what you think EDI is, but EDI in terms of Hipaa is standardized documents with faxing being the electronic transfer component, because when you send a fax you are sending one copy of the EDI compliant form to the destination. Emailing an actual file with the document would potentially allow it to be duplicated, which is illegal, because you're just downloading a copy of the file from an email that potentially anyone can read. This is why I think that blockchains would work, because (I guess?) the data could be encrypted and could be sent to healthcare providers as one time transactions.

This paper written by people without brain damage probably does a much better job of describing why it'd be a passable solution (although I agree that getting anything standardized would be hard since part of that in the ACA was killed by the GOP)

http://mcdonnell.mit.edu/blockchain_ehr.pdf

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Devian666 posted:

US dollar went off the gold standard in 1971 so the exchange rates floated at market rates. There was the oil crisis in 1973 and 1979 but then a lot of oil production came online (oil is priced in USD). Then Milton Friedman's concepts started coming into effect which was the start of neoliberalism and modern monetary theory.
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/economics/08/1970-stagflation.asp

In short a lot of events happened from 1970 to 1982 that created that change.

Fiat...good?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

let it mellow posted:

maybe that was before they printed 100 mil, the day bitcoin discovers fractional reserve scamming

lmao

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

turn off the TV posted:

I'm not sure what you think EDI is, but EDI in terms of Hipaa is standardized documents with faxing being the electronic transfer component, because when you send a fax you are sending one copy of the EDI compliant form to the destination. Emailing an actual file with the document would potentially allow it to be duplicated, which is illegal, because you're just downloading a copy of the file from an email that potentially anyone can read. This is why I think that blockchains would work, because (I guess?) the data could be encrypted and could be sent to healthcare providers as one time transactions.

This paper written by people without brain damage probably does a much better job of describing why it'd be a passable solution (although I agree that getting anything standardized would be hard since part of that in the ACA was killed by the GOP)

So they're trying to come up with a way to basically track the latest complete state of a patient's record so they can produce an EMR on the fly. The thing is there's a lot of healthcare software that already does this and it's not clear what benefit the blockchain would offer other than being able to track the history of changes (which existing applications already do). There are customer portals where patients can download the latest state of their EMR or have it emailed and/or faxed to other providers in a HIPAA compliant way today.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

turn off the TV posted:

Speaking of standardizing being a bitch, system inplementers aren't even the safe investment because they are a little block chain gun shy for all their bravado until they can strongarm standards because the number one benefit of current schemes is they are simple and common. An EDI is just a read once email but it's got common bits to healthcare, finance, supply chain etc. And block chain is going to need the same commonality because the distributed version is poo poo so everyone's going to have their own local one and it needs to talk to everything just as easy as an EDI does now or else you just have a database that is fancy for no real reason because it's still talking to the world through an OCR on a fax machine.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Volume average at 150, then this happens soon after 100M tether printed this morning

3K buy volume in less than 5 minutes.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just gonna hide some CP on your blockchain and watch you distribute it through your healthcare system.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Alpha Mayo posted:

Volume average at 150, then this happens soon after 100M tether printed this morning

I don't know a whole lot about trading, but this seems... odd.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Because it is odd. Someone bought a shitload all at once, likely clearing out all the sell orders below a certain price. Likely with a giant wad of 100M IOUbux.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Alpha Mayo posted:

No y axis?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Turmoil posted:

I'm ready.

I’ll give you a rough Peggle Night 😈

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
How long until people go to make tether withdraws and they can't be covered and the whole thing collapses? I imagine the saga is drawing to a close and Bitfinex or whoever runs tether is just propping up the price to sell out before disappearing. I assume there will be a mad rush to convert USDT to actual dollars soon if it isn't underway already.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

onesixtwo posted:

I don't know a whole lot about trading, but this seems... odd.

It means someone cleared out the order book. It was at 10900, then they cleared it out to 11600. If you are wanting to $30+ million shares (or "coins"), it makes more sense to spread that out over time, since doing it in one big chunk is the most expensive way to do it.

Virtue posted:

No y axis?

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Marketing New Brain posted:

How long until people go to make tether withdraws and they can't be covered and the whole thing collapses? I imagine the saga is drawing to a close and Bitfinex or whoever runs tether is just propping up the price to sell out before disappearing. I assume there will be a mad rush to convert USDT to actual dollars soon if it isn't underway already.

I was shocked to see that the tether reddit is people actively trashing tether, so probably soon https://www.reddit.com/r/Tether/

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
So someone tried to explain the legitimacy of tether to me like this:

Tether issuance increases during sell offs because exchanges/whales are using it to arbitrage during limited liquidity events when large price discrepancies appear on different exchanges. USDT is being bought by exchanges/whales to operate the arbitrage.

1) Whale buy 9000 USDT for USD
1) Someone sells 1 BTC for 9000 USDT on Bitfinex to whale
2) Whale takes the BTC and sells it on GDAX for 9500 USD
3) Whale pockets the 500 USD profit

There's a hole here in this narrative, but its not immediately apparent to me.

EDIT: also important in this - USDT buyers want to hide their business and don’t want to be KYCed, exchanges are avoiding regulations, so that is why they deal in USDT.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 20, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Andy Dufresne posted:

So they're trying to come up with a way to basically track the latest complete state of a patient's record so they can produce an EMR on the fly. The thing is there's a lot of healthcare software that already does this and it's not clear what benefit the blockchain would offer other than being able to track the history of changes (which existing applications already do). There are customer portals where patients can download the latest state of their EMR or have it emailed and/or faxed to other providers in a HIPAA compliant way today.

Emailing stuff in a Hipaa compliant way costs a decent amount of cash (afaik) and isn't readily available, and faxing is a gigantic waste of time and resources. I don't know if a blockchain would be an actual solution, but it's a thing that could potentially work and provide real value, which is more than I could have ever asked for out of something so closely tied to bitcoins.

zedprime posted:

Speaking of standardizing being a bitch, system inplementers aren't even the safe investment because they are a little block chain gun shy for all their bravado until they can strongarm standards because the number one benefit of current schemes is they are simple and common. An EDI is just a read once email but it's got common bits to healthcare, finance, supply chain etc. And block chain is going to need the same commonality because the distributed version is poo poo so everyone's going to have their own local one and it needs to talk to everything just as easy as an EDI does now or else you just have a database that is fancy for no real reason because it's still talking to the world through an OCR on a fax machine.

IIRC standardization and implementing universal systems was part of the pitch for the ACA that got cut because some Oklahoma senator didn't want to have to use a different form in his dentist office.

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007

and I wonder what the purchasing power of a bitcoin is.....

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If tether keeps printing at the rate they are, the ultimate collapse is going to come a lot faster than I would have expected.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

Cryptocurrencies are so lovely but hype-driven that IBM looked at them and said "we can definitely do better than this poo poo", produced a distributed database, and named it Blockchain to cash in on the hype. Then they published an article on their website on why bitcoin is garbage but their proprietary Blockchain solution is tight (because a distributed database that doesn't have to be trustless can be really fast, efficient, and scales easily).

And then they did the rest of those things you mentioned, except for their product instead of something stupid like bitcoin

and of course the 0 to date production systems

I understand the concept of Tether and the reasons that an exchange would print gobs of it in order to prop up the value of buttcoin traded there. What I don't get is why other exchanges are accepting these Chuck E. Cheese tokens and allowing them to be swapped for USD.

i am frankly loving baffled that the markets, even the crypto markets, are treating this piece of poo poo as being worth an actual dollar

i have to write this up this weekend, i say "have to" because i literally have MY WIFE nagging me to write it up before it explodes

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The best thing in the world would be for it to blow up shortly after your paper/book is published and you personally get blamed for the entire crypto crash

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Also dibs on your boom box after you get murdered

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

divabot posted:

i am frankly loving baffled that the markets, even the crypto markets, are treating this piece of poo poo as being worth an actual dollar

Lol why is this past the limit of what will flummox you

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Tether. Could someone dumb it down to the level that say a true believer could understand?

Best I can come up with it is Paypal for crypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
100M USDT just printed again
https://twitter.com/tetherprinter/status/954533642038009856