Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

So is this game worth getting now with the Arcade Edition update? I'm thinking of getting the PC version (don't have a PS4)

If you are looking for a modern SF game then it's fine and you can actually reasonably play offline now with the arcade modes. I think it's fun and have gotten my money out of it by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

punk rebel ecks posted:

If you want to play a traditional styled Street Fighter that isn't Super Turbo, then play Alpha 2.

CCs tho

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Please I need an honest to god answer, is the game still garbage????

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
It's not as garbage and It's frankly super fun.
It's still mostly garbage though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Otakufag posted:

AE barely changed anything about the core game. It just added more stuff of the same quality.
So whatever your opinion was of the Vanilla SFV, AE is not going to change it.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Otakufag posted:

Netcode is still bad.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Otakufag posted:

Otakufag posted:

game still garbage

done and done

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hace posted:

CCs tho

CCs kick rear end.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

HMS Beagle posted:

Capcom's cutting the amount of Fight Money you get from some missions in half. This week's main mission is 2500, would have been 5000 last week. So if you had planned on getting season 3 for free, good luck.

They really should just do overwatch style lootboxes but instead of emotes and skins it should be colors for characters ( skewed towards characters you dont own, of course) and various amounts of fight money. Earn them on char lvl up or buy them for 2.. no.. 4.99 each. We can't lose!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

CCs kick rear end.

This post has me in a spin state.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Communication in this is still so bad. I played some random PS4 diamond guy in battle lounge on training stage. The next set, he picks the stage that gives you fight money, the one with the bear in a bar or whatever; frequent rollback throughout the set. The next set, he picks the same stage again and I just winquit the first match because I literally cannot find a single way to say 'hey man, picking training stage please'.

I'm not even sure if stages are causing fps drops on ps4 tbh but I'm only picking training if I'm going back to this. I know it was an issue for SF4 on Xbox but that didn't really affect anything.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the rashid one is super easy

drat, you weren't fooling, thanks for the heads up! Hoping the rest of the costume quests keep up that difficulty (maybe a little higher) so I have something to look forward to playing every week.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I was going to mess around with this game until FighterZ came out, but holy poo poo; I just can't find a single match that isn't a shitshow. My last match was against somebody with "4 bars" except he was in italy and there were frequent instances of grabs and hits landing, and then just rolling back to me being hit instead.

Then I wonder if it's me so I go check out Vesper Arcade's stream and he's fighting a Ryu with similar poo poo happening and it just not bothering him to the point of him apparently having fun? I mean, to each his own, but it was like watching someone sitting down and taking monster bites out of a poo poo sandwich and complimenting how good it was.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vesper makes a living off streaming and videos of the game hes gonna play it even if it was electrocuting his balls

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I'd apparently forgotten that this series has a link combo system instead of chains, which explains why combos feel so backwards in their difficulty.

Cancel a special into a CA for huge damage? Effortless, you can mash it out. Try to hit confirm one normal into another before doing that special -> CA? Hope you like hitting a ~1/20th of a second window in an online match with latency. :gonk:

In Tekken, bad as I was, I could do easy low execution combos while training my way up to higher damage ones. Here even a basic punish (Ryu LP -> LK -> L Tatsu) has a link into a very short window to cancel off of a light attack. Can't hit the link reliably (or do the tatsu too late and you get blown up)? Guess you just hope that poking the guy with LP will dissuade him from that line of attack.

edit - I think I might literally be too old to play this game.

FallenGod fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 20, 2018

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

FallenGod posted:

No, you're right. The game sucks.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I know it's anecdotal but since the AE update I haven't had a single laggy match. I'm in the UK though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FallenGod posted:

I'd apparently forgotten that this series has a link combo system instead of chains, which explains why combos feel so backwards in their difficulty.

Cancel a special into a CA for huge damage? Effortless, you can mash it out. Try to hit confirm one normal into another before doing that special -> CA? Hope you like hitting a ~1/20th of a second window in an online match with latency. :gonk:

In Tekken, bad as I was, I could do easy low execution combos while training my way up to higher damage ones. Here even a basic punish (Ryu LP -> LK -> L Tatsu) has a link into a very short window to cancel off of a light attack. Can't hit the link reliably (or do the tatsu too late and you get blown up)? Guess you just hope that poking the guy with LP will dissuade him from that line of attack.

You don't have to do a link when punishing since you know it's going to hit.

Also, it's the funniest poo poo ever when people go "It's not my fault that I am bad, I'm just *too old* to play this children's video game, that's obviously it!"

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 20, 2018

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

sakuras fun

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does SFV actually have any links that aren't a subject to the massive 6f (or whatever it is) input buffer?

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Arzachel posted:

You don't have to do a link when punishing since you know it's going to hit.

Thanks for a useful response, bizarre attitude aside.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Bad Parenting posted:

I know it's anecdotal but since the AE update I haven't had a single laggy match. I'm in the UK though.

Edit: *Whoops, I misread this post really badly!*

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 20, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bad Parenting posted:

Night Blade posted:

I'm in loving NEW YORK and I have the same experience.

Congratulations, the people you play against have all the lag instead.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FallenGod posted:

Thanks for a useful response, bizarre attitude aside.

Real talk, don't sweat combos too much if you're enjoying the game otherwise. People do so much dumb stuff that getting used to poking, anti airing and punishing obviously unsafe stuff is going to carry you for a good while. Do Ryu's st. mp st.mp xx fireball or tatsu while waiting for matches and it'll click after a bit of practice, you're probably already doing links for a whole bunch of stuff like jump ins and dash followups in Tekken without knowing it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think SFV combos are really easy, but it might be because I had to deal with 1f links for eons. For punishing you can usually do a hard normal into special if you don't wanna deal with links.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Jack Trades posted:

Congratulations, the people you play against have all the lag instead.

How so? I'm on fibre internet with 300 down 25 up, wired to my ps4...

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Dias posted:

I think SFV combos are really easy, but it might be because I had to deal with 1f links for eons. For punishing you can usually do a hard normal into special if you don't wanna deal with links.

no it's not that, sfv combos are designed to be easy

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

no it's not that, sfv combos are designed to be easy

sure zand but what i mean is that i'm used to the stupid tight links of 4 so maybe someone coming in "clean" or someone that played games with gatlings might have some trouble adapting

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bad Parenting posted:

Because Capcom somehow managed to gently caress up their netcode in the most retarded ways and it always pushes all the lag onto one player.
Either you're going to be lagging and your opponent will have a good time or you'll have a decent match and your opponent will be lagging.

You used to be able to Alt-Tab on PC to push the lag onto the other player as well.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Jack Trades posted:

Does SFV actually have any links that aren't a subject to the massive 6f (or whatever it is) input buffer?

Abigail's bhp+hp x2 stuff in trigger are real 1f links, cause its all about when you release the button from partial charge not when you press it.

As such even players like Storm Kubo and CoolKid use the less damage easier version since its not worth the drop and losing your 400+ damage combo.

*ed*

Also the buffer is 2 frames.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Bad Parenting posted:

Something to do with if one side ever drops below 60fps then the other side doesn't compensate for the lost frames properly and is constantly playing catchup through the match. So you'll be seeing the tail end of moves and normals because the game is rolling things back to what the other player actually did.

Apparently this is mostly a PS4 problem because it's a lot more likely to sometimes dip below 60fps is some cases, like with some supers or stages.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

had the flu yesterday so decided to do something low energy like actually go through the SFV Shadow Falls story mode

can now confirm that I'd have rather Capcom spent the time and budget doing literally anything loving else to improve the game instead of that worthless poo poo. there's just no way they can touch what Tekken and NRS games can do.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Tekken story mode is also poo poo and they had what felt like five years to develop it. I just need to reinforce that every time it comes up, it's Quite Bad.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I want to meet the person that likes move names over move inputs in the trials so much that they set it as the default.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Dias posted:

Tekken story mode is also poo poo and they had what felt like five years to develop it. I just need to reinforce that every time it comes up, it's Quite Bad.

The one pisser I really had about Tekken story mode is for like the year+ before they game hit console had built up Kazumi/Heihachi thing as some sort of tragedy in trailers and advertisements.

Then story mode plays out and turns out Kazumi all she ever wanted was to kill Heihachi and nothing else.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Tekken story is weird because they just gave up on the good guys and all there is to watch is the Mishimas be dicks to each other in increasingly nonsensical ways. It has like, no narrative flow even by the low standard of 'fighting game story'.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

The one pisser I really had about Tekken story mode is for like the year+ before they game hit console had built up Kazumi/Heihachi thing as some sort of tragedy in trailers and advertisements.

Then story mode plays out and turns out Kazumi all she ever wanted was to kill Heihachi and nothing else.

She's also like 70 years old but looks like a teenager because Harada.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Woden posted:

She's also like 70 years old but looks like a teenager because Harada.

As depicted I think she's like late 30s at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I stopped playing this around when Balrog came out but entered a KoF tournament in March, and it was only $5 extra to enter this so I did.

I'm super out of practice and don't know anything in this anymore. Add me on steam and beat up on me a bunch so I get used to it again.