Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not wrong. But if you read the report, there was a literal direct RPG strike on a HFC-227 tank that was part of the fire suppression system in each case. In very intense heat (like way more than for a normal vehicle fire), HFC-227 will turn in to HF. It's just that the chance of a very unlucky direct explosion occuring on the HFC-227 tank does not outweigh the purpose of the fire suppression system in all other cases.

It's kind of like, yes, in certain types of crashes wearing your seatbelt will kill you. But it's such a low-probability event that it makes a lot more sense to wear it for all the other cases.

Oh sure, I wasn't arguing that either, I just think it's pretty horrifying that there's a chance, however negligible, that your fire suppression system can turn into hydroflouric acid. Thanks for clearing i tup, regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tias posted:

Oh sure, I wasn't arguing that either, I just think it's pretty horrifying that there's a chance, however negligible, that your fire suppression system can turn into hydroflouric acid. Thanks for clearing i tup, regardless.

Yeah it sucks pretty bad and might indicate some kind of design flaw (once seems like pure luck, twice less so) but then again, the range of "good" outcomes for the "I am sitting in an MRAP that has received a penetrating hit from an RPG" is pretty small and not very good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr Enderby posted:

To up the early modernness, publish pamphlets accusing the small adorable dog of being a demon, and when it dies claim it was slain by a skilled necromancer.

http://ota.ox.ac.uk/tcp/headers/A81/A81604.html

The early modern period totally rules.

Except for all the death and misery.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

Friday 19th January, 1945

The camp is alive with excitement and everyone awaits news. Litzmannstadt has been taken by the Russians and they still maintain their phenomenal rate of advance! Bets are being made everywhere. Feb the first date quoted as a likely date. One budding mathematician has calculated that at the present rate of advance the Russians should pass us on Sunday afternoon. It is very difficult to settle down to work with all the gay optimism flying around. Some people even hint that we might be made to trek untold miles inland!

Tonight the Germans have insisted that we keep all windows fastened, this is the form that their tightening up of air raid precautions has taken. They state that if a window is left open during an air raid the guards will shoot thro’ the window! Had us with a smoky stove!

For the past few days we have been burning peat instead of the normal coal brickets. Rumour has it that the factory has been bombed.

We have only 4 weeks supply of parcels in hand at the rate of ½ parcel per man per week.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HEY GUNS posted:

This is your captain speaking, the fasten seat belt sign HAS been turned on

I mean, let's say they really were doing some kind of coordinate bomb and drop operation or whatever. They'd likely need a mass of these things, so why not have half of the group be dedicated bombers and half the group dedicated to troop transportation . . .

. . . I think I'm indirectly making GBS threads on the F-35 right now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I mean, let's say they really were doing some kind of coordinate bomb and drop operation or whatever. They'd likely need a mass of these things, so why not have half of the group be dedicated bombers and half the group dedicated to troop transportation . . .

. . . I think I'm indirectly making GBS threads on the F-35 right now.

To save on fuel, duh!

If half the group only transports men, thats an extra half of your total payload youre NOT dropping!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Have the Paras grab onto the bombs as they're released, and then let go and open their parachutes. This way the enemy is still in shock from the blast and can't effectively defend against all the paratroopers.

:italy: on the cutting edge yet again

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The meme thread is at it again

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To save on fuel, duh!

If half the group only transports men, thats an extra half of your total payload youre NOT dropping!

But what if all the men has grenades on them, like 10-12?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Greggster posted:

Throw the grenades out of the plane while the bombs are getting dropped.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i'm trying to think of one of those "you see ivan" memes about this but i'm not coming up with anything good.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Have the Paras grab onto the bombs as they're released, and then let go and open their parachutes. This way the enemy is still in shock from the blast and can't effectively defend against all the paratroopers.

:italy: on the cutting edge yet again

Does anybody know what the general failure rate of military parachutes are? Like, how many paratroopers are expected to buy it just because of pure accident?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i'm trying to think of one of those "you see ivan" memes about this but i'm not coming up with anything good.
you see antonio

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

The early modern period totally rules.
i started studying it by accident and now i can't stop

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

isn't there an early 20th century fire extinguisher that might or might not turn into poison gas

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HEY GUNS posted:

i started studying it by accident and now i can't stop

That's how I was with Religious Studies originally, I got suckered in through a rad class on the History of Witchcraft right as I was trying to decide what kind of history I wanted to do in undergrad.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

That's how I was with Religious Studies originally, I got suckered in through a rad class on the History of Witchcraft right as I was trying to decide what kind of history I wanted to do in undergrad.
i wanted to study nazism when i entered the PhD program...and then i read a little too much about the early modern period while i was studying for my written exams

it took over my brain, man

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So...the Germans could never build a Ju 87 replacement, but the Italians could?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nebakenezzer posted:

So...the Germans could never build a Ju 87 replacement, but the Italians could?

Planes like the Ju 87 were rendered obsolete by the fact that fighters could carry their payloads and were just more useful. It hurt the SB2C and a lot of the other later dive bombers. When engines got better, it made certain plane types obsolete. The later FW 190s could do everything the Ju 87 could.. and be fighters too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Greggster posted:

Are the fuzes timed or contact?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Panzeh posted:

Planes like the Ju 87 were rendered obsolete by the fact that fighters could carry their payloads and were just more useful. It hurt the SB2C and a lot of the other later dive bombers. When engines got better, it made certain plane types obsolete. The later FW 190s could do everything the Ju 87 could.. and be fighters too.

Well, they couldn't go near-vertical for precision strikes, but yeah as AA guns got better, more men being deployed, better fighters designed, and earlier detection/warning systems were put in place, the idea of a Dive Bomber above the battlefield became less and less persuasive for military planners.

Not to say they wouldnt be completely useless, but the weapons of 1940 are very different from those of 44 and 45

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It says a lot that in service the Ju-87 was pretty quickly moved from dive bombing to using large cannon for strafing attacks.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

It says a lot that in service the Ju-87 was pretty quickly moved from dive bombing to using large cannon for strafing attacks.

I mean, not all /that/ quickly. As long as the Luftwaffe had air superiority it was actually pretty good in its original role. It's just it was a sitting duck if that wasn't true.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

Had a pretty good run from 1936 to 1943 :shrug:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, did any other air force use dive bombers aside from the Germans? (I know all about naval dive bombing vs. ships, I'm just wondering if there is any other AFs using them for land precision strikes.)

Went on wikipedia to see if I could answer my own question, found the Brewster Buccaneer, which is a good reply to "what were procurement fuckups the Allies made?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

HEY GUNS posted:

you see antonio...
...when your transport is your bomber, your paratroopers can capture whatever you didn't blow up!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, did any other air force use dive bombers aside from the Germans? (I know all about naval dive bombing vs. ships, I'm just wondering if there is any other AFs using them for land precision strikes.)

Went on wikipedia to see if I could answer my own question, found the Brewster Buccaneer, which is a good reply to "what were procurement fuckups the Allies made?"

Everyone did!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Everyone did!
This. The Germans did rely on it more in their doctrine and were better at it during the early war, which is why the have such a connection to it. The Russians didn't do it as much just because it wasn't their doctrine, and by the time the Western Allies got back on the continent the tactic was getting less use due to improvement in less risky alternatives.

Part of the doctrinal difference that made the Germans use it so much was the fact that the Allies dismantled their artillery corps after WW1. When the Nazis built the military back up, they decided to focus on dive bombers instead of guns for the roles other armies relied on artillery for as the first option. It's hard to untangle how much of that was building doctrine around capability or capability around doctrine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Does anybody know what the general failure rate of military parachutes are? Like, how many paratroopers are expected to buy it just because of pure accident?

The US Army’s new T-11 parachute has been seeing something like a 1 in 21,000 jump failure rate. Note that this is a main canopy failure rate, not an injury rate. An injury caused by the jump, even if it’s not fatal, can cause the individual to not be operationally useful once landed. The WWII numbers from the 82nd airborne suggest 1 injury every ~1000 jumps. The overall history of the 82nd halves that rate to one injury every ~2000 jumps, though the majority of those are in peacetime conditions.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

...when your transport is your bomber, your paratroopers can capture whatever you didn't blow up!

Wait a minute there.

Jobbo_Fett,

Do you know if it could transport paratroopers? At this point, I'm not assuming anything. It might literally mean it can stuff some people in the plane with the bombs, but they have to land to disembark.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, did any other air force use dive bombers aside from the Germans?

Comrade Gorbash posted:

and by the time the Western Allies got back on the continent the tactic was getting less use due to improvement in less risky alternatives.

In North Africa and Italy the USAAF used a version of the Mustang - called A-36 Apaches in that role - as dive bombers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAPqoC3_hqA

But as you said, that mission was dropped in time.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you know if it could transport paratroopers? At this point, I'm not assuming anything. It might literally mean it can stuff some people in the plane with the bombs, but they have to land to disembark.
Most bombers of the time had an open catwalk through the bomb bay (so the copilot could go back and kick the bombs loose if they stuck on their shackles/rear gunners could get there front the door in front), so I'd expect yes even if lacking a paratrooper side door.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Cessna posted:

In North Africa and Italy the USAAF used a version of the Mustang - called A-36 Apaches in that role - as dive bombers.

Good point about the Apache in North Africa.

It's history really points to why the tactic faded though. It was just so dangerous, and really only survived as long as it was the only way to get that effect on target. Once other bombing techniques and artillery improved, it got squeezed out because they were just safer.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wait a minute there.

Jobbo_Fett,

I mean... I can't see why not, to be honest, but nothing in the text mentioned if they were used for that specifically.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

I forget what the French had, people have already posted the British stuff, the Italians kinda sorta tried the Dive Bomber thing, and I think theres one or two others in other companies I haven't covered yet.

The Russians had the Pe-2, the Japanese had the D3A nd the D4Y, and the US had stuff like the SBD, A-36, and the P-38.

I forget if the P38 was specifically used in a DB role, but it had a fatal compression problem in high speeds in dives, and had brakes iirc. The A-36 had a series of accidents, can't remember if it had the same issue with buffeting.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I forget if the P38 was specifically used in a DB role, but it had a fatal compression problem in high speeds in dives, and had brakes iirc. The A-36 had a series of accidents, can't remember if it had the same issue with buffeting.

The P-38 had "dive recovery flaps;" they were only added after the compression problem was discovered. It was an issue with high speed dives (like you might perform trying to escape a Zero on your tail) rather than with dive-bombing attacks specifically, though the P-38 was used in the fighter-bomber role fairly frequently.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What was the Allied plan at the end of 1944 before the Germans began the Ardenne's offensive? Was it to wait out the winter and build up supplies and troops for a big push into Germany in the early spring?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

HEY GUNS posted:

isn't there an early 20th century fire extinguisher that might or might not turn into poison gas

Carbon tetrachloride? Potent hepatotoxin, also forms phosgene at high temperatures.

HMS Ulysses mentions some extinguishers being unusable because sailors had stolen the tetrachloride to clean their uniforms, but I don't know if this is a real thing that happened.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GotLag posted:

Carbon tetrachloride? Potent hepatotoxin, also forms phosgene at high temperatures.
did it come in glass globes in the early 20th c? throw the globe into the fire, and hope you aren't inhaling anywhere near the resulting gas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yes.

Edit: that spring mechanism is supposed to be released when some solder (or similar) melts, although I can't tell from that picture if it's meant to fling the grenade or just smash it right there.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 20, 2018