Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Thread favorite Onogrim the Warrior wrote his epics on birch bark paper. If you've got forests of them and are cutting them down anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If wax was easily available that makes me wonder what ancient beekeeping was like

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

cheetah7071 posted:

If wax was easily available that makes me wonder what ancient beekeeping was like

There's slaves for that.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Quite valuable and respected actually. You can just burn poo poo for smoke if you needed to calm the bees down, there wasnt some kind of beestung caste

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
How would you say yes (the interjection) in Latin?

Is it attested that people nodded or hummed as an expression of assent, or was it all id est, etiam cursus, ita vero, sermo..

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

sullat posted:

Thread favorite Onogrim the Warrior wrote his epics on birch bark paper. If you've got forests of them and are cutting them down anyway...

Birch bark is insanely flammable, though. I wonder how well it keeps over time? I could imagine it responding poorly to humidity as well.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

CountFosco posted:

Birch bark is insanely flammable, though. I wonder how well it keeps over time? I could imagine it responding poorly to humidity as well.

Same with modern paper. It didn't keep well, that's for sure, the only bits we have saved are the ones that got dumped in a peat bog or something.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CountFosco posted:

The big birchbark corpus that we have is due to the soil conditions around Novgorod being uniquely favorable to its preservation iirc. I imagine if you let that poo poo dry out for centuries it will just flake apart into dust.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Birch bark crumbles into dust really quickly once it has been separated from the pulp into sheets. The thinner it gets, the faster it goes. Source: I have a cabin heated by birch logs.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Mr Havafap posted:

Is it attested that people nodded or hummed as an expression of assent, or was it all id est, etiam cursus, ita vero, sermo..

yes, cf. the verb "adnuere" which means "to nod in approval."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Zombie Dachshund posted:

yes, cf. the verb "adnuere" which means "to nod in approval."
or the concept numinous, which iirc refers to a god nodding at you

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

sullat posted:

Same with modern paper. It didn't keep well, that's for sure, the only bits we have saved are the ones that got dumped in a peat bog or something.

Much like papyrus birchbark can also survive in very dry conditions as well as bogs. I think the oldest examples of birch paper are actually documents like the Bower Manuscript from places like Xinjiang in the deserts of central Asia. Interestingly the Birch bark in the Bower Manuscript was processed to resemble or at least using the same techniques of the palm frond manuscripts of South Asia. Unfortunately Palm fronds also have a very short shelf life in humid tropical or subtropical conditions and that is probably why so few historical records have survived from the classical era in the region.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Mr Havafap posted:

I was taught to repeat the verb in response, sum in response to esne, etc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Did people use coal as a fuel source in antiquity?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Did people use coal as a fuel source in antiquity?

Yes, but your average joe would probably not have used it to warm his house because it is so useful for metalworking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

skasion posted:

Yes, but your average joe would probably not have used it to warm his house because it is so useful for metalworking.

Do you have a source for this? I don't remember ever reading about coal being used in Europe that long ago.

Crude oil did get a small amount of use in areas where it would literally just bubble up in pools. Natural gas was used a little in China but I don't know of any use in Europe.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you have a source for this? I don't remember ever reading about coal being used in Europe that long ago.

Crude oil did get a small amount of use in areas where it would literally just bubble up in pools. Natural gas was used a little in China but I don't know of any use in Europe.

https://books.google.com/books?id=f...0mining&f=false

for a random example. British writers have done a good bit of work on it seemingly, I don’t know if anyone has ever looked at the history of coalfields on the continent.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Huh! I didn't know they used coal either. I always took extraneous mention to mean "charcoal", but it looks like they mined the real thing quite a bit. Learned something new, thank you.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Mr Havafap posted:

I've also heard people would just use the word "hui" in spoken informal conversation, which sounds a little bit like the French "oui". My source for that was a text but I forgot the author. He wrote a story about being accosted in the forum Romanum by a fan of his poetry, if anyone has any idea what I'm talking about? Anyway in that story they do use the word "hui".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deltasquid posted:

I've also heard people would just use the word "hui" in spoken informal conversation, which sounds a little bit like the French "oui". My source for that was a text but I forgot the author. He wrote a story about being accosted in the forum Romanum by a fan of his poetry, if anyone has any idea what I'm talking about? Anyway in that story they do use the word "hui".
by the time of Abelard, it's "sic"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

by the time of Abelard, it's "sic"

I've heard it as sic for classical Latin too. No coincidence one sounds like French and the other Spanish/Italian of course.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

No coincidence one sounds like French ...
actually it is

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/oui#Etymology

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

That depends on why Deltasquid's (vulgar?) Romans said hui I guess. I could see it deriving from hoc.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

(vulgar?) Romans
many romans were vulgar

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

many romans were vulgar

Pedicabo et irrumabo te &c.

Edit: umm not literally!

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 20, 2018

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Not quite what you asked, but I've had a couple colleagues mention that the most common was to repeat the verb as an affirmation. So, something like, "Habesne vinum?" would be answered with, "Habeo."

I don't recall their sources though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

aw man, what the hell do i have to do to get irrumated around here

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 20, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doesn't using unrefined coal for metalworking leave you with sulfur contamination in your iron?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Lone Badger posted:

Doesn't using unrefined coal for metalworking leave you with sulfur contamination in your iron?

That would depend entirely on what variety of coal you were using, and a lot of the levels of sulfur wouldn't matter much. Some major deposits of coal types that are very low sulfur such as anthracite are widely present in modern Wales and Russia/Ukraine as far as European use goes for example.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone please recommend me a couple books on the history of the Islamic Caliphates.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone please recommend me a couple books on the history of the Islamic Caliphates.

God’s Crucible is pretty good if you are looking to read about he Caliphates in al-Andalus

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fell Fire posted:

Not quite what you asked, but I've had a couple colleagues mention that the most common was to repeat the verb as an affirmation. So, something like, "Habesne vinum?" would be answered with, "Habeo."

I don't recall their sources though.

This is the way affirmitives work in Chinese as well. If you say "yes" to everything you sound like you're a junior officer talking to his superior.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Caliph's Splendor. Never finished it, though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Arglebargle III posted:

This is the way affirmitives work in Chinese as well. If you say "yes" to everything you sound like you're a junior officer talking to his superior.

Also Irish English to the point of stereotype and YouTube videos.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ulmont posted:

Also Irish English to the point of stereotype and YouTube videos.
that's because irish gaelic has no word that directly translates as "yes"

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

feedmegin posted:

Speaking of which, found this paper recently, which discusses the implications of that particular phrasing:
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/694095

Probably the only academic paper I can think of that references "ATM"

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

that's because irish gaelic has no word that directly translates as "yes"

What for real?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Syncopated posted:

What for real?

The Irish Gaelic word for yes is “tá”. It doesn’t mean strictly “yes” however, it means “is”. “Is he doing such and so?” “Is”, or in Irish English more likely “He is”. Plenty of languages work like this — I know Finnish tends to answer yes-no questions by echoing the verb though it also has yes and no, and Mandarin is in a similar situation to Irish (this is the source behind Darth Vader’s famous “DO NOT WAAAAANT” in Backstroke of the West, it wouldn’t be appropriate to the context to have him say “bu shi” or “no”/“is not” because he isn’t responding in the negative to a question Sheev is asking, he’s just kind of crying out against his situation in general, so they rendered it with another word for no, “bu yao”, or “not want”).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In Taiwanese Mandarin, you tend to hear "hao" 好 or "dui" 對 (or bu hao 不好 and bu dui 不對 when it's negative) for yes/no type questions and usually only hear "shi" 是 (it is) when that's the verb used in the question. Hao translates roughly to "good" or "ok" and dui to "correct". So if someone asked me, "You like to eat stinky tofu, right?" I'd respond with "bu dui". Or if someone asked me if I wanted to go get some sweet and sour pork, I'd probably be 50/50 on saying "yao" 要 (I want to) or "hao" (ok). But if they asked, "Is that the man who stole your goat?" I'd reply back "shi" (it is).

Chinese has two different ways to ask a yes/no question. The first is simply to state something and then to say "ma" 嗎 at the end which turns it into a question. The other way is to change the verb to "verb not verb". So if I wanted to ask, "Do you have an umbrella?" the sentence would look like "You have not have an umbrella?" (你有沒有雨傘?) Or if I wanted to check someone's preference, I could ask, "You like not like Taiwanese beer?" (你喜不喜歡臺灣啤酒?) In these forms, you usually expect them to reply back with either "verb" or "not verb" depending on if they're affirming or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

skasion posted:

I know Finnish tends to answer yes-no questions by echoing the verb though it also has yes and no
Both is good. If you'd ask me if I want a beer, I'd most likely answer "joo haluan" for "yeah I want". Echoing the verb by itself is a bit rare, at least where I live.