Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yessssssss, Dragonfall is when I really fell in love with SRR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

sebmojo posted:

I would shame read the hell out of that.

at least I would if it had some momentum, the super hero cyoa in lp has turned me right off endless wodges of text speckled with irrelevant decisions.

It's people group writing books with an actual author at the helm. Even our discussions outside decisions have become part of the story. This isn't some lovely Choice Of...

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I would shame read the hell out of that.

at least I would if it had some momentum, the super hero cyoa in lp has turned me right off endless wodges of text speckled with irrelevant decisions.

Yea, the author has written... 250k words over the past few months taking our input on how the story goes? It's got momentum.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

RickVoid posted:

It's not Harry Potter and the Mirror-Shaded Cyber Zombies.

I'd read that. Not even ironically. As long as the writing itself is decent, I am all in for crazy fanfics.

For example, the last week I've been reading this fic called "Harry Potter and the Natural 20" in which a Munchkin Wizard gets summoned to the HP world and doesn't quite work out that it doesn't work on D&D rules.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Just as an update, I wanted to get the next part done before Christmas but it's seeming unlikely due to a variety of reasons mostly out of my control, so it'll have to wait until after the holidays which is when I'll next have access to my computer.

Happy holidays everyone, and apologies for the slow start.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Eh, I don't have an issue with waiting. Happy holidays. :)

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I wouldn't call 10 pages of arguing and lore posts " a slow start".

Happy holidays.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 22, 2017

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Kanfy posted:

Just as an update, I wanted to get the next part done before Christmas but it's seeming unlikely due to a variety of reasons mostly out of my control, so it'll have to wait until after the holidays which is when I'll next have access to my computer.

Oh thank god! I was hoping to start along with you so that I can get the achievements I've missed, and I got stuck doing a New Game+ run of Human Revolution (shooting people in the head is so much more satisfying than sneaking around). We'll see you on the other side of the holidays!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kanfy posted:

Enjoy your holidays!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Quick, someone do a background lore dump about the Free State!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

King Doom posted:

Quick, someone do a background lore dump about the Free State!

Going mostly by memory here, some details might be slightly off:

Basically, Shadowrun Berlin had a really loving bad time during the early 21st century. First you had the initial shockwaves and various disasters that came with the Awakening hitting Germany during the early years, which destabilised the country enough to cause the military to take over under martial law for almost a decade. This really rankled the notoriously strong left-wing blocks in Berlin and basically turned the city into a constant bleeding ulcer of civil unrest, even after civilian rule was restored. The federal government eventually decided to shift the capital to Hannover just so they could get away from the constant headaches. Then the Eurowars happened and while the Russians didn't reach the city, it was still swamped by shitloads of refugees, which ultimately strengthened the left-wing blocks even more because they ended up doing more to integrate and protect the newcomers than the already overstretched authorities. After that, the original Matrix-crash happened and essentially hosed up the cities' entire economy because it based mainly on financial, service and especially communications businesses. Then Goblinisation (IE, people turning into orcs and trolls overnight; elves and dwarves had been around for a while by that point) happened and caused some pretty loving big racial issues worldwide. The german government initially, at least in some places, put the newly-goblinised metahumans into containment camps to try and stave off mass civil unrest. That was received by the left-wing blocks about as well as you'd expect. (Didn't help that the Awakening provided some real nice reminders of the old times - visiting the site of one of the old nazi KZs in the Sixth World is something you only do if you have a deathwish; the spirit plane is seriously hosed up in those places.)

And finally, the Night of Rage (basically a world-wide series of Kristallnacht-style anti-metahuman riots) happened... and in Berlin it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Germany is somewhat out of the ordinary in regards to the Night of Rage, because it was the various racist fuckwits who took the worst beating in most places there once things heated up. In Berlin, the whole story was outright reversed because every anarchist, black block member, punk, antifa activist etc. went out into the streets and the city experienced a case of Bash The Fash on a scale exclipsing anything since 1945. And after being done with Humanis&Co, they just kept on rolling right into the local authorities and the whole thing escalated into an outright small-scale civil war, which ended with the government pulling out and blocking off the whole city. The victorious anarchists promptly declared Berlin independent, announced the "the Greatest Experiment in Anarchist History", passed the "Final Law" which abolished all laws and the Free/Flux State was born. By the time of the game the major anarchist movements, which are basically the "watchdogs" of a sort for the city, have established relations with the german government and the various megacorps (who basically walled off their enclaves in the city) that range somewhere from Cold War-esque armed standoffs to grudging business relations depending on what's going on this week in particular. "Status F" has become the norm.

Tl;dr: Berlin went through a gigantic humiliation conga between ~2010-2039 until all the anarchos,punks etc. just had loving enough of all the bullshit, kicked out the government and declared the city an anarchist autonomous zone.

Also, they slightly changed the traditional flag/coat of arms of the city with it's upright bear:

Magni fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 30, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm already wincing at the months of pro/anti-Anarchy political derails on the horizon.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anarchy is the mother of order.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm already wincing at the months of pro/anti-Anarchy political derails on the horizon.

At least it isn't the collectivism debate in the Stellaris thread before the game's release.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

PMush Perfect posted:

If it helps, the game contains both sympathetic and unsympathetic portrayals of the way that particular system ends up panning out.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah this game does a good job of depicting it, but the background is helpful to have going in.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Has anyone here played a game of ARES' Xcom-style forays into the bug realm?

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
Based on this thread, I have purchased Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

The reddits say a decker/rigger would maximize plot possibilities, but I understand that physical adept is a Problem Solver this go-round.

I will probably play both.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I didn't want to bump this thread without an update but luckily it was done for me, so I can take this opportunity to apologize for the ongoing delays. Long story short I'm still dealing with some unresolved health issues and I've wanted to get that stuff figured out so that I can focus on this thing properly again, but it's been a little slow going.

So just so you know, I haven't burned out or lost motivation or anything like that, and we should be back on track hopefully sooner than later. At least nobody should have any issues remembering what has happened so far. :v:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

sorry to hear about the health issues!! hope you feel better soon

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Take all the time you need, we'll be here warmly waiting.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Sarcastr0 posted:

Based on this thread, I have purchased Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

The reddits say a decker/rigger would maximize plot possibilities, but I understand that physical adept is a Problem Solver this go-round.

I will probably play both.
Honestly, Hong Kong gives you really good party members for the decker and rigger roles, so just do whatever.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I started HK as a decker and ended as a sort of cyber-melee slicing machine because I didn't really need to be a decker.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Minor spoiler re: Hong Kong archetypes: You get a decker, a rigger, a shaman, and two samurai. One ranged and one melee. And all of them well built. The team could probably use a bit more magic just in case, but honestly you can play anything you want and have characters who can fill in the other slots without a problem.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Sarcastr0 posted:

As mentioned you get pretty good allies that can fill those roles in unique ways that you could never do. Though to be fair, if you dedicated yourself to one of those roles you would be FAR better at it then they would be at end game. For instance, unlike the Berlin Decker, the HK decker will never have 4 ap in the matrix, and S rank drones (which the npc rigger can't use) can be slightly insane in HK. But they will do nicely enough for the role if you use them smartly.

The real problem with such a build is that it's nigh impossible in HK. You wouldn't have enough karma to max out the two till near endgame and (the real, real problem) you would never have enough money to pull it off. HK has something of a choke hold on the amount of money you receive compared to the previous 2 games.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also the Rigger they give you is an awesome character and you're a bad person if you aren't taking them on every mission.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Also the Rigger they give you is an awesome character and you're a bad person if you aren't taking them on every mission.

I like the rigger, but almost all "rigger solutions*" in HK can be achieved by putting one point into rigging at character generation. This is also a lot more tactically sound then you might think as it makes you a grenade target, and that turns into an AMAZING thing to be once you get access to certain cyberware.

And since I like ALL of the characters in HK, the rigger tends to warm the bench (story mission not withstanding). I have made sure to play at least one game with him with me most of the time so I could see his dialogue.

*as in, solutions to problems that ONLY a rigger could do.

Besides, the character you should always take is one of the samurai (you know the one) if only to see how he's going to fit in the current mission :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 20, 2018

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

mauman posted:

I like the rigger, but almost all "rigger solutions*" in HK can be achieved by putting one point into rigging at character generation. This is also a lot more tactically sound then you might think as it makes you a grenade target, and that turns into an AMAZING thing to be once you get access to certain cyberware.

And since I like ALL of the characters in HK, the rigger tends to warm the bench (story mission not withstanding). I have made sure to play at least one game with him with me most of the time so I could see his dialogue.

*as in, solutions to problems that ONLY a rigger could do.

Besides, the character you should always take is one of the samurai (you know the one) if only to see how he's going to fit in the current mission :downs:

Yeah, that samurai is the best. Great at carving up folks too. The shaman tended to be the one I left out the most, she didn't grab me as much as the rest of them. The decker is great too.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

mauman posted:

The audio commentary for that is always great.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, that samurai is the best. Great at carving up folks too. The shaman tended to be the one I left out the most, she didn't grab me as much as the rest of them. The decker is great too.

The shaman made me laugh. That's an important thing to me. She's also scarily effective at her job.

Honestly out of all of the npc's I'd say the decker is my least favorite as she's so boring in comparison. Though her personal mission is a goddamn hoot (especially if you take said Samurai along). Problem is, as a decker, you're kinda forced to take her if you aren't a decker yourself. But she's not a bad character so it's not too much of a problem.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 20, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mauman posted:

The shaman made me laugh. That's an important thing to me. She's also scarily effective at her job.

Yeah, she was my favorite of the crew. Best fit with my runner, too, given his habit of always picking the Most Terrible Ideas.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

mauman posted:

Honestly out of all of the npc's I'd say the decker is my least favorite as she's so boring in comparison. Though her personal mission is a goddamn hoot (especially if you take said Samurai along). Problem is, as a decker, you're kinda forced to take her if you aren't a decker yourself. But she's not a bad character so it's not too much of a problem.

I like her because she can lay down really good splash and mines with her grenade launcher when not doing Matrix stuff. Also, I needed a decker since I was my usual Street Sam build, so my team usually wound up heavy with firepower and the melee guy for DPS.

And her mission is great as well, I agree.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

I like her because she can lay down really good splash and mines with her grenade launcher when not doing Matrix stuff. Also, I needed a decker since I was my usual Street Sam build, so my team usually wound up heavy with firepower and the melee guy for DPS.

And her mission is great as well, I agree.

I'm not saying I dislike her, I'm just saying that in comparison to everybody else she's boring.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think we can say that all the characters in Dragonfall and Hong Kong are the best character.

Except Blitz.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

I'm playing a Rigger in HK and will still bring the other Rigger along on every other mission. I recommend everyone try at least one mission with a small army of drones.

Best of luck with the health matters by the way. The LP for Returns made me get back into these games. I haven't finished Dragonfall or HK before, but I definitely have to give HBS credit for giving them more character (and better characters).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can anyone tell me who the hell is supposed to be the second Samurai in HK?

Also, man, I really hope someone ends up putting out a mod that allows you to take your entire party on missions. Only way I will replay these games.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Also, man, I really hope someone ends up putting out a mod that allows you to take your entire party on missions. Only way I will replay these games.

I assume they're talking about Duncan, in an archetype way, not as his background. What else would you call his role? Sure, he's not as cybered up as your stereotypical Street Sam, and is decidedly a lot more non-lethal depending on how you build him, but he kinda fits.

Also, I would play the poo poo out of a Shadowrun mod that let you bring more party members along.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Xander77 posted:

Samurai as in the archetype, not the ancient japanese warrior class. No magic, usually chromed up, and focusing on weapons skills rather than decking or rigging. That's a street samurai.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The Shaman in HK is probably my favourite character even though she's really boring (albeit effective, thanks haste) in gameplay terms.

It helps that I love rats :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The HK team really covers all bases pretty well, so you can go for anything you like. My personal favourite playthroughs were as a cybered-up melee sammy with a certain memetic weapon and as a pistols/dodge/Qi adept (with a totem and some charisma thrown in to round it off), which is a built that starts off a bit weak, but basically becomes a John Woo movie protagonist by the mid-game.