Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The barracks bicycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

The barracks bicycle.

Involving a midget that was smuggled into the barracks in a rucksack?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Several of them. As long as everyone rides.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Flikken posted:

Yeab but are they federal or state employees? Hunter Liggett is a guard base right?

The training support personnel are DoD contractors as far as I've been able to figure out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm really interested in seeing what will happen down here at Hunter Liggett if the government shuts down. 80% of the support staff here are civilians. All of range control is. Whoops cant actually do anything. Too bad.

I was mobilizing out of Shelby in 2013 when the government shut down. Since the base was largely federalized, basically everyone lost their jobs overnight. The only people still working there were people on active duty to support mobilization and the Title 32 maintenance folks. They didn't even have gate guards and kitchen staff; everything was being run by the military skeleton crew.

e: I think some of the medical contractors stuck around since they were being funded by OCO dollars, rather than whatever generic funding line was being used for everyone else.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 18, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

I was mobilizing out of Shelby in 2013 when the government shut down. Since the base was largely federalized, basically everyone lost their jobs overnight. The only people still working there were people on active duty to support mobilization and the Title 32 maintenance folks. They didn't even have gate guards and kitchen staff; everything was being run by the military skeleton crew.

e: I think some of the medical contractors stuck around since they were being funded by OCO dollars, rather than whatever generic funding line was being used for everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dpYk9srLJk&t=147s

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Actually good. I’m impressed.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Pretty cool to be 27 and need your wife to put socks on.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Vahakyla posted:

Truly now you're doing that grunt poo poo

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

We've all been there. Just know that it gets better.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Thanks. I’m a pretty optimist dude, but the walls are closing in. My wife just has to stare at my rear end all day, get childsitters for me when she wants to go somewhere, and help me with all kinds of stupid poo poo and I don’t wanna do that to my wife.

I’ll make my son fetch me soda all day though, gently caress that guy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
For like 15 days when I was super hosed up, I’d have to ask my wife in the morning if there was anything else she had to say before I “left” then pop my meds and kind of go into a haze for 12 hours.

But I was a hell of a lot better a few months later.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

Thanks. I’m a pretty optimist dude, but the walls are closing in. My wife just has to stare at my rear end all day, get childsitters for me when she wants to go somewhere, and help me with all kinds of stupid poo poo and I don’t wanna do that to my wife.

I’ll make my son fetch me soda all day though, gently caress that guy.

you are my last hope for someone having a happy and successful time in the army.

don't gently caress this up for me.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I had some reconstructive jaw surgery and was also completely out of it and unable to care for myself for a fair bit. I remember being excited to try and take a shower but I started shivering uncontrollably about a minute into it and my wife had to help me out. It's a humbling road to recovery but just take it slowly.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
After my shoulder surgery I had to learn to wipe my rear end with my left hand. That was weird as hell.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Vahakyla posted:

Priapism is no joke!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Zeris posted:

Priapism is no joke!

America has a priapism issue, we have a dick that lasts 4 years.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Grunt poo poo is great when you are young and stupid, but it will grind you there gently caress down.

Remember, the only person who cares about you in the Army is you. To everyone else, you a Skilcraft pen with a face.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

Remember, the only person who cares about you in the Army is you.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've seen plenty of dudes not old enough to legally drink that envy the bodies of senior citizens.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

not caring here posted:

I've seen plenty of dudes not old enough to legally drink that envy the bodies of senior citizens.

Indeed. Have you seen Joe Rogan lately? Dude looks like a beast at 50. Probably test and roids though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Indeed. Have you seen Joe Rogan lately? Dude looks like a beast at 50. Probably test and roids though.

Good for him, when I hit 50 I'll be lucky to be able to bend over and pick up something without my back screaming arias of torment into any nerve that will listen.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I’m taking in my nephew’s due to their mother abandoning them because she’s a meth head and got a compassionate reassignment back to Hawaii. Right now I’m in a Defense agency and will be working 2-3 hours for the next 3 years. My career according to all the SNCOs I talked to is pretty much over, but who cares? I’m taking care of family, keeping them out of the system and trying to be a positive male influence for themand happy again. Totally worth not ever picking up my e7, being a broken and angry individual who never sees his family because of a never ending red cycle.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

spacetoaster posted:

Test and roids loving rule. Sorry, not great for brain problems and cardio but they're a pretty good shortcut to gains IME.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kaliber posted:

I’m taking in my nephew’s due to their mother abandoning them because she’s a meth head and got a compassionate reassignment back to Hawaii. Right now I’m in a Defense agency and will be working 2-3 hours for the next 3 years. My career according to all the SNCOs I talked to is pretty much over, but who cares? I’m taking care of family, keeping them out of the system and trying to be a positive male influence for themand happy again. Totally worth not ever picking up my e7, being a broken and angry individual who never sees his family because of a never ending red cycle.

poo poo dude that sounds like an easy choice to make. gently caress anybody that tells you otherwise.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kaliber posted:

"career"

Is it retirement after 2-3 years? Cause if so, get your clearance renewed, get some certifications, a degree, and start getting your VA disability compensation paperwork together RIGHT NOW.

The Army has no qualms about using you. Use them right back.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

QFT

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Abso loving lutely.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

"career"

Is it retirement after 2-3 years? Cause if so, get your clearance renewed, get some certifications, a degree, and start getting your VA disability compensation paperwork together RIGHT NOW.

6 years left. I’ll be 3 years out when I leave the island, that’s if the adoption process is complete by then. Which I have no clue how long it’ll take for the state to terminate parental rights and let me adopt.
I already applied for the local community college out here for the fall semester. Hopefully I’ll be on a routine with the 3 boys and can be at least halfway thru a year by the time my deros is up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kaliber posted:

6 years left. I’ll be 3 years out when I leave the island, that’s if the adoption process is complete by then. Which I have no clue how long it’ll take for the state to terminate parental rights and let me adopt.
I already applied for the local community college out here for the fall semester. Hopefully I’ll be on a routine with the 3 boys and can be at least halfway thru a year by the time my deros is up.

Check state VA benefits, and what the definition of a veteran for that state is (some say you have to join the service in that state, some say you have to retire to that state, some say everybody who drives through the state gets it).

Some states have free tuition at state schools for the children of disabled veterans.

With 3 kids it'll be nice to know that's taken care of.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Check state VA benefits, and what the definition of a veteran for that state is (some say you have to join the service in that state, some say you have to retire to that state, some say everybody who drives through the state gets it).

Some states have free tuition at state schools for the children of disabled veterans.

With 3 kids it'll be nice to know that's taken care of.

That whole disabled veteran thing is nice to know.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

That whole disabled veteran thing is nice to know.

Claim everything you ever saw an Army doctor for.

I got an athelete's foot on there. Seriously.

Also, you can meet the criteria for being considered a veteran of multiple states. You can be a TX veteran if you landed at Fort Bliss after a tour overseas. I'm a veteran there, and several other states.

Look at this poo poo. LOOK AT IT. http://www.ncdsv.org/images/TexasStateVeteranBenefits_7-1-2009.pdf

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 20, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I meant the school for kids.

My poo poo gets denied. I just had to fight back with the VA because THEIR papaerwork said I had a whole list of things that made me unemployable but I was told I am ineligible.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My back got hosed up in Afghanistan (aid station of course maintained no records) and I didn't want to do forced labor at the WTU so I made no mention of it at demob. Consequently, I've paid for all my MRIs, doctor's visits, and physical therapy out of pocket. Still, I think not being stuck on active duty raking leaves and mowing grass for 5 months was worth it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

My back got hosed up in Afghanistan (aid station of course maintained no records) and I didn't want to do forced labor at the WTU so I made no mention of it at demob. Consequently, I've paid for all my MRIs, doctor's visits, and physical therapy out of pocket. Still, I think not being stuck on active duty raking leaves and mowing grass for 5 months was worth it.

Please do this thing I'm about to tell you.

Search for a veteran's assistance group in your city. The federal government gives grant money to groups who's only purpose in life is to help veteran's get their earned benefits. Call them. Get an appointment and get them to help you through the process.

You're situation isn't strange, or unique. People have gotten through with no medical documentation.

FOR EXAMPLE: A dude broke his nose in Iraq (jumped into a ditch under fire and the dumb helmet smashed down on it) and it just healed and the war went on. Now, years later, he can't breath right and snores like a monster.

A couple of witness statements from his buddies who saw it + a photo of his bloody face and broken nose was enough (to prove it was absolutely service connected).

The VA even has a form just for witness evidence.

The VA has a duty to assist you. That means you get the benefit of the doubt.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 20, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hey Vahakayla, they cancelled funding for your injury five minutes ago. Be ready for a jump tomorrow night.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Hey Vahakayla, they cancelled funding for your injury five minutes ago. Be ready for a jump tomorrow night.

:vince:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

He wanted some of dat grunt poo poo.
Dat grunt poo poo is mostly getting hosed over and over with no lube by a dick that cares not for your rear end in a top hat or your pleasure.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Also they just blocked military paychecks during shutdown so I hope your wife has a job.

Mustang is in for a hell of an attitude problem come Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Could you claim that they breached your contract and not show up?