Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
maybe it's not that gibson employees are lazy or incompetent or underpaid and overworked

maybe it's a worldwide conspiracy by every other guitar manufacturer to buy up all the maple stock with consistent grain through the entire piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

GreatGreen posted:

If Gibson would make a Les Paul with a standard maple top and a flame veneer and price it fairly (as in not ludicrously high like everything else they make) I might actually legitimately think about buying one before remembering what a piece of poo poo HJ is and deciding against it.

the only gibson i would thing about buying is a reverse firebird if i could find one decently priced

gently caress gibson though

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So I'm making some Boss HM-2 clones and my friend who designed the boards used a PCB service called DirtyPCB. They just told me my boards have shipped and I should expect a 1-8 week window for arrival. Lol.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
yeah shipping from the orient has mad variance

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Gringostar posted:

the only gibson i would thing about buying is a reverse firebird if i could find one decently priced

gently caress gibson though

When I saw they had a cheap Firebird X I was intrigued but of course they didn't put Firebird pickups on it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
https://reverb.com/item/7156469-washburn-hss-strat-style-body-custom-toasted-aqua
Meth involved?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I can sort of understand wanting to do a weird finish, but why the gently caress did he leave the pickup and poo poo on?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I can sort of understand wanting to do a weird finish, but why the gently caress did he leave the pickup and poo poo on?

To make sure they developed the signature smoky tone, duh.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I actually like the way the paint looks and if it was given a good clearcoat and sanded nice and smooth so it wasn't weird and lumpy I'd be into it. But the fact that he left the pickups on makes me wonder what other precautions he didn't take ("all of them" seems like a decent bet) so I suspect if you bought that guitar you'd end up having to replace everything, possibly even the neck.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So I'm making some Boss HM-2 clones and my friend who designed the boards used a PCB service called DirtyPCB. They just told me my boards have shipped and I should expect a 1-8 week window for arrival. Lol.

lol we almost certainly post in the same facebook pedal group. let me know how this is, I'm going to pull the trigger on it when he puts out a build doc. I really like the rad panelisation he's done with this board

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

lol we almost certainly post in the same facebook pedal group. let me know how this is, I'm going to pull the trigger on it when he puts out a build doc. I really like the rad panelisation he's done with this board

Have you figured out who I am? Message me let’s be friends bro. I just saw Tony posted some crazy modulation poo poo with a spinning disc and photometer or something. If not, pm me here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I love it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eixJDy7TeYg

Might pick one of these up

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

I'm impressed by their commitment to the channel, given their view count. Given the stuff they're reviewing I can only assume this is a bunch of bored music store employees?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What was that guitar that had the special pick-ups and knob set-up that would "tune" your guitar via computer repitching the individual strings?

Would it be possible to rip the hardware out of that and put it into another guitar? I almost want that in my Steinberger.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Are you thinking of one or other of the line 6 variax guitars?

The stevic sig looks pretty envelope-pushing but who even needs this much functionality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0CwZHY0kM

-------------------------

Currently building a BE-OD clone and making some incredibly awful 'custom' artwork for it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Concatenation posted:

The stevic sig looks pretty envelope-pushing but who even needs this much functionality

I literally have no idea, I just remember some years ago there was a guitar that had a built-in computer that would repitch all of the strings perfectly including the intonation and it also had the ability to save tunings.

I ask because I recently started playing Rocksmith again and a lot of the content I own in it is it various other tunings and retuning all of the time sucks, locking the trem solves any problems I'd have with that thing crapping out, but I tuned down to D Standard and my light gauge strings are floppier than spent dick and it's miserable to play.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

s.i.r.e. posted:

What was that guitar that had the special pick-ups and knob set-up that would "tune" your guitar via computer repitching the individual strings?

Obviously you'd want the Auto-Tune Guitar.

PS I purposely put the official website that is stating its end of support for a guitar.

But you're probably thinking of the Line6 Variax stuff, which I've only heard of Adrian Belew putting the guts of one into his signature Parker Fly guitar.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

Currently building a BE-OD clone and making some incredibly awful 'custom' artwork for it

loooool beautiful and funnier than Dave Friedman's "jokes" ("brown eye" over drive, "pink taco" amp).

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Concatenation posted:

good job not going the obvious route labeling one knob "focking fury" or some poo poo

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Peavey AT-200?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rifter17 posted:

Obviously you'd want the Auto-Tune Guitar.

PS I purposely put the official website that is stating its end of support for a guitar.

But you're probably thinking of the Line6 Variax stuff, which I've only heard of Adrian Belew putting the guts of one into his signature Parker Fly guitar.

Anime Reference posted:

Peavey AT-200?

This seems to be it; I remember the really generic shape of the guitar being as boring as can be I guess with it being discontinued and not supported anymore, investing in the tech is kinda pointless. :(

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I loathed the AT-200. At low volumes you'll still hear the actual pitch of the guitar while the output is tuned. It's the kind of thing that I almost wish you could split the signals from to make really hosed up microtonal noises with but otherwise for learning throws you off.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It always weirds me out using a pitchshifter at low volumes, being able to hear the strings be in E when the output is a semitone down or whatever is just distracting as hell.

On a roughly related note when bands have a whole bunch of disparate different tunings on one album used to bug me, 16 year old me was especially miffed by the first 3 songs on the first CKY album being in Eb standard, then drop D, then E standard. At least I got quick at retuning I guess, though it cost a lot of popped strings.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Concatenation posted:

I assume you will dime all the knobs and then glue them in place.

Not stupid music poo poo I've been into lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNmmK-Mod9Y

gently caress, her hands are half the size of mine and she makes that big rear end bass sing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That peavy would be great for Rocksmith, especially if using headphones. I’d be tempted to get one if I found a crazy bargain.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I assume you will dime all the knobs and then glue them in place.

Not stupid music poo poo I've been into lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNmmK-Mod9Y

gently caress, her hands are half the size of mine and she makes that big rear end bass sing.

Just have little windows over fixed resistors instead of potentiometers.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The AT200 autotune stuff is basically just a piezo midi pickup in the bridge saddles and some software. You can diy that and use it with rocksmith but there's the quick and lovely way that sounds horrible and the expensive way which impacts performance and may require virtual cables or real cables hooked to an audio interface.

Can't remember the free software I found that would work but basically anything that turns a midi signal into a passable dry guitar tone. Mic mode on rocksmith will probably work better nowadays, that way you can use VB audio cable to "listen" to the ASIO output final track from a DAW and send it to a virtual recording device set as your primary mic in windows and Rocksmith. Even after all that it won't sound as good as just using a digitech whammy or other high end pitchshifter pedal.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The usual suggestion is to get a Digitech Drop, which as far as I can tell is basically a Whammy minus the expression pedal.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Weird BIAS posted:

I loathed the AT-200. At low volumes you'll still hear the actual pitch of the guitar while the output is tuned. It's the kind of thing that I almost wish you could split the signals from to make really hosed up microtonal noises with but otherwise for learning throws you off.

That's fine because I usually always have headphones or the monitors loud so I don't hear the open strings.

Anime Reference posted:

The usual suggestion is to get a Digitech Drop, which as far as I can tell is basically a Whammy minus the expression pedal.

I used to this with my Digitech Whammy and while it worked, I couldn't do anything about anything in any sort of dropped tuning or strange tuning since it couldn't do it on a per-string basis. I'm also big on having all of my guitar fuckery contain in the guitar itself, I sold all of my pedals a while ago because I just hate having all that poo poo laying around when I only used them for certain things, or for some, one track.

The Variax line of guitars seem to offer what I'm after but I don't think that poo poo will fit into my Steinberger. It also seems to do everything via the bridge and there's no way of getting that poo poo in the Steinberger either.

sigher fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 20, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That’s the other part of the at200 that’s seems cool, instant drop tuning. I probably still won’t ever got one unless it’s $100 but it does sound like fun.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I used to this with my Digitech Whammy and while it worked, I couldn't do anything about anything in any sort of dropped tuning or strange tuning since it couldn't do it on a per-string basis. I'm also big on having all of my guitar fuckery contain in the guitar itself, I sold all of my pedals a while ago because I just hate having all that poo poo laying around when I only used them for certain things, or for some, one track.

The Variax line of guitars seem to offer what I'm after but I don't think that poo poo will fit into my Steinberger. It also seems to do everything via the bridge and there's no way of getting that poo poo in the Steinberger either.
Just as a heads up, the Digitech Drop DOES work with drop tunings (for example, I use my Drop-D guitar 1 or 2 semi-tones down for when I'm with my cover band). The one downside is that strings need to be properly tuned for consistency, so having a guitar equipped with locking tuners / evertune bridge / locking trem is your best bet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wark Say posted:

Just as a heads up, the Digitech Drop DOES work with drop tunings (for example, I use my Drop-D guitar 1 or 2 semi-tones down for when I'm with my cover band). The one downside is that strings need to be properly tuned for consistency, so having a guitar equipped with locking tuners / evertune bridge / locking trem is your best bet.

What I mean is that the Digitech Drop won't take my standard guitar to drop-anything because it's just lowering the overall sound and not by individual strings, right? My issues is that down tuning means I have to lock the trem but I love loving with it and losing that feature sucks. Also anything lower than Eb standard tuning and my 9 gauges are just too loose to play comfortably.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, right! Silly me. I misunderstood you completely.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

:nws: https://youtu.be/Y1Io97JL2EA:nws:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is more honest than 90% of the MANY drummers I've attempted to play music with.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is more honest than 90% of the MANY drummers I've attempted to play music with.

Except for the drum triggers

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/the-line-6-dl4-is-quietly-the-most-important-guitar-pedal-of-the-last-20-years/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, the Metal Zone came out like 25 years ago so I guess I can let this one slide.