Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Colonial Air Force posted:

My entire AWI army is white (because it's primered and nothing more)

Or, French uniforms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

My entire AWI army is white (because it's primered and nothing more)

including the planes?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

including the planes?

Especially the planes.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Warlord is having a "Spend £50 and get a plastic boxed regiment for free" but I already have all the plastic boxed regiments I could possibly want - need some cannon and some lobsters. It seems that Perry's Demi-culverins and Minions, and a box of WoR Mounted Men at Arms might be a good shout?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Southern Heel posted:

Warlord is having a "Spend £50 and get a plastic boxed regiment for free" but I already have all the plastic boxed regiments I could possibly want - need some cannon and some lobsters. It seems that Perry's Demi-culverins and Minions, and a box of WoR Mounted Men at Arms might be a good shout?
Are those included? Often Warlord's deals will only be for warlord boxes, not the ones they resell from Perry.

Because I can never have too many boxes of plastic French cavalry. :P

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Sorry, that was two separate lines of thought - a) they have a deal, but b) I need this stuff from Perry instead.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Sorry, that was two separate lines of thought - a) they have a deal, but b) I need this stuff from Perry instead.

I see. My brain blacked out at "I already have all the plastic boxed regiments I could possibly want", and I couldn't parse the rest of the post.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna get the French marching band

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I wanna get the French marching band

Shorties seeing my bassoon be like, daym!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

lilljonas posted:

I see. My brain blacked out at "I already have all the plastic boxed regiments I could possibly want", and I couldn't parse the rest of the post.

I have thus far managed to resist the pull of napoleonics (apart from some metal perry Russian grenadiers); but I'm quite wholly sick of YET MORE of the same P&S molds.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I recently purged all of the three decades of Warhammer 40K poo poo from my life (sold it all to a friend who's still in deep), keeping only historicals and Infinity stuff. There were so many 40K minis in that lot purchased for hare-brained ideas and goofy projects - none of which ever got anywhere near completion - that it's somewhat refreshing and liberating to not have all of those unfinished projects subtly eating at my soul.

Of course now I find myself trolling the Warlord Games site and saying, "Hmmm, this new Opel Blitz/Maultier looks pretty sweet." I have so far resisted buying more poo poo, but it's been more difficult to restrain myself that I'd like to admit.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Cessna posted:

Or, French uniforms?

Those dudes look like they're having a blast.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I'm the dude leaning his chin on the muzzle of his rifle.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ilor posted:

I'm the dude leaning his chin on the muzzle of his rifle.

Musket

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
...because whether or not the ball is spinning as it passes through his skull will make a vast difference...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Look, this is a thread for discussing the proper green for German armies in the summer of 1941. You can't expect me to not correct these kinds of things.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

tfw you drop a vital piece of the model you're building in the carpet and it enters a pocket dimension never to be found again and then you're forced to try to build a substitute piece out of green stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
A guy on /hwg/ is running Blitzfreeze, which is Five Men at Normandy campaign supplement about the for German retreat from Leningrad and it's kind of a tale of survival horror

JcDent fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 20, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Look, this is a thread for discussing the proper green for German armies in the summer of 1941. You can't expect me to not correct these kinds of things.
Fair.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Exactly. I mean the French didn't even use rifles!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Voltigeur? I didn’t even know her!

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
So after all that I painted some random test models with dark skin and hated them, so I just made them all white dudes. I'm a coward, I know.

Here are my first ACW guys, awaiting basing:

Edit: hated the paint job. I want to be super super clear on that. It was my skills I hated. Ohgodamiaracist

Lupercalcalcal fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 20, 2018

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Played our first game of Battlegroup today. Pretty good! I was worried at first that it would get bogged down in dice rolls and tables, but it actually plays pretty fast once you get the hang of it. We played it at 10mm, and the distances felt perfect.

We played a company sized game (we each had a platoon of infantry, two tank platoons, and support) in about three hours, which is really fast, considering that includes setup, learning time, and stumbling caused by playing the first time.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just played the first game of CoC and boy is the rulebook a mess

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Phi230 posted:

God Bless Historicals

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

A guy on /hwg/ is running Blitzfreeze, which is Five Men at Normandy campaign supplement about the for German retreat from Leningrad and it's kind of a tale of survival horror

4channer posted:

>Dive into a frozen piss ditch to save your officer and lose your leg
>Get called a coward and left on the side of the road

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Phi230 posted:

The hyperlinked tablet version helps tremendously.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

To be fair, he was the first one to to rout in every game!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there any point with 15mm nappies? It seems as though it had the disadvantages of being smaller than 28mm but without the benefit of being so small that you can just piss around with it like 6mm.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Southern Heel posted:

Is there any point with 15mm nappies? It seems as though it had the disadvantages of being smaller than 28mm but without the benefit of being so small that you can just piss around with it like 6mm.

They're just another point on the sliding scales of effort to paint/size/cost/ability to rank up. I kinda prefer them to 6mm naps because the whole point of that war for me is to paint up really colorful little dudes and march them around, and 6mm barely scratches that itch.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
28mm is Napoleons own scale

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

15mm is vastly easier to transport than 28mm, and I liked painting 15mm ancients back in the day. But now we're looking at 6mm for the big battles where you field entire divisions or more. I get my detailed painting, conversion and button-counter thrill out of my 28mm army.

Speaking of which, this weekend I ran out of room on my storage trays at the club. I have eight more finished units to fit, and three more that are down to the highlighting phase:

28mm nappy is the devil.

E: whoa, something weird on my iphone camera made all my little guys look drunk af.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 22, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Right, gents, I received my WG infantry transfers today. However, I'm afraid of wasting them and thus I'm asking the question:

Are the uniforms too light colored for Brits in Europe?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

TBH with the price of 15mm just go with 20mm and enjoy buying 50+ dudes for a tenner instead and paint all the facings and belts in the world.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Why is 20mm cheaper than 15mm?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Plastics from old moulds mostly. Look at plastic soldier review to see what sets have what you need in them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Plastics from old moulds mostly. Look at plastic soldier review to see what sets have what you need in them.

Yeah, 1/72 is common for plastics, and basically around 20mm depending on brand.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JcDent posted:

Are the uniforms too light colored for Brits in Europe?

Hard to tell from the picture. Maybe a bit, but slap on a dark brown wash (like Citadel's Agrax Earthshade) and you'll be golden.

On a related note, I'm gonna be painting 28mm US Airborne and I'm having a hell of a time finding a suitable colour from Vallejo's Model Air line. I want to get them done quick (spray, pick out details, wash) so I'd rather avoid mixing if possible.

Any suggestions?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so I think I'm going to do it, I'm going to get into Napoleonics. My opponent liked CoC so I gather Sharp Practice is a good one to aim for in terms of size and scope. I'm not in any major rush to complete and I think I'll go with 28mm since that's what I'm used to and I found the 15mm CoC a little undersized but took 3/4 of the time to painy anyway.

What do I need to know about the various boxes and forces out there? One army absolutely must be British, and it probably makes sense for the opposing force to be French.

I'm not a huge fan of Warlord's dumpy heroic metal sculpts but their P&S plastics seem to be sane. £62 for the Black Powder starter set seems to make sense too, but how do they stack up against Perry plastic sculpts?

Is the Peninsular war more varied? I don't want to box myself in initially (i.e. deciding to play CoC and buying a bunch of stuff only to find it was exclusively late war Eastern Front).

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

OK so I think I'm going to do it, I'm going to get into Napoleonics. My opponent liked CoC so I gather Sharp Practice is a good one to aim for in terms of size and scope. I'm not in any major rush to complete and I think I'll go with 28mm since that's what I'm used to and I found the 15mm CoC a little undersized but took 3/4 of the time to painy anyway.

What do I need to know about the various boxes and forces out there? One army absolutely must be British, and it probably makes sense for the opposing force to be French.

I'm not a huge fan of Warlord's dumpy heroic metal sculpts but their P&S plastics seem to be sane. £62 for the Black Powder starter set seems to make sense too, but how do they stack up against Perry plastic sculpts?

I have mixed feelings about the Warlord plastics. I've only painted their French, and I have all of their plastics kits for them (infantry and cavalry) except for some of the kits that are just plastic with additional metal heads. I've painted most of them, you can see examples here:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog

Basically, their late French infantry is good. The ones with the greatcoats. Their "middle" French are so-so. The center company bodies are good but their faces are ugly and the sprue only comes with a single body (in a weird pose), so congrats - all your grenadiers and voltigeurs will look like a clone army desperate to go to the bathroom. The cavalry is decent - not as good as Perry, but for some types (lancers, chasseurs until Perry releases the box they showed last year) it's the only choice.

I painted up a bunch of sprues of the later French recently, here's the blog entry. I was happy with them and would readily get more if I started to aim for a really big army, as I already have wayyy too much line infantry for a normal game of SP2:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/french-reinforcements-line-infantry-and-sappers-warlord-brigade

So, for late French (1813-15) I'd happily mix in Warlord's late box, it's pretty much on par with Perry and Victrix. For earlier, I'd use the box if I can get it cheap (warlord sales, second hand), but swap the heads whenever possible for ones from Perry or Victrix.

Both Perry, Victrix and Warlord are close enough that I mix them freely in my army. I haven't painted any Victrix yet, but I've built a few groups of converted foot dragoons, and they are a bit fiddly due to having more parts, but that also means they work great for converting stuff.

If you're starting out, get two boxes of Perry infantry unless:

a) you're a buttoncounter and dead set on playing something earlier than 1813,. or
b) you get a nice deal (sale, second hand) on another plastic box set

The perry box is ideal as you get a single unit of skirmishers, while also center and flank companies. So you can either make the flank companies into more voltigeurs if you want more skirmishers or shootier line troops, or grenadiers if you want tough guys. With two boxes you get two leaders, and you can paint some of the regular guys as corporals or sergeants (they just have extra stripes on their sleeves).

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 23, 2018