Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Could you claim that they breached your contract and not show up?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

psydude posted:

My back got hosed up in Afghanistan (aid station of course maintained no records) and I didn't want to do forced labor at the WTU so I made no mention of it at demob. Consequently, I've paid for all my MRIs, doctor's visits, and physical therapy out of pocket. Still, I think not being stuck on active duty raking leaves and mowing grass for 5 months was worth it.

This is stupid as hell.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Also they just blocked military paychecks during shutdown so I hope your wife has a job.

Mustang is in for a hell of an attitude problem come Monday.

This couldn’t have happened at a worst time. We just blew our saving getting our second car and dogs here. And I’m still waiting on back bah, cola, dla, tla, and travel pay to kick in.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Eyyyy :toot:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Kaliber posted:

This couldn’t have happened at a worst time. We just blew our saving getting our second car and dogs here. And I’m still waiting on back bah, cola, dla, tla, and travel pay to kick in.

USAA will be offering interest free loans to AD members who don’t get paid.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm good if I don't get paid for a month, but I'm curious if I could take that loan anyway to help my credit score out a little bit. Or I'm an idiot and don't know how that stuff works.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’m good though, my finances are in order. I’m not a financial E-3.

I’m all for the shutdown.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

My back got hosed up in Afghanistan (aid station of course maintained no records) and I didn't want to do forced labor at the WTU so I made no mention of it at demob. Consequently, I've paid for all my MRIs, doctor's visits, and physical therapy out of pocket. Still, I think not being stuck on active duty raking leaves and mowing grass for 5 months was worth it.

This sounds like a classic case of self defeating behavior.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

This sounds like a classic case of self defeating behavior.

I sent two NCOs home early for injuries and both wound up at the Knox WTU, which was quite literally being run as a forced labor camp. It was bad enough that people were filing IG complaints and finding other doctors to sign off on them leaving. I went to the VA after I got back and their approach was to take some ibuprofen and walk it off. Fortunately, my civilian job had great health insurance so I referred myself to an orthopedist who was a former Army doctor herself, and she took care of it. She was the one who told me how dangerous Army situps were for your spine and how they contribute to a much higher spinal injury rate among Army veterans, even those who never had to wear body armor regularly. Then we had a good laugh at how dumb the Army was for ignoring the revised PT test.

I talked to DAV about filing for disability, but there really weren't any witnesses to my injury and it was never documented anywhere other than my trip to the aid station to get a shot of toradol. I'm sure I could find a way to get it through; however, after PT and core strengthening it's pretty much been fixed.

psydude fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 20, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Could you claim that they breached your contract and not show up?

no because you're still accruing pay, you just aren't receiving it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also not being facetious, but is your salary in your contract?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

Also not being facetious, but is your salary in your contract?

No, they could change the pay scales so you make minimum wage or work for tips or something, IIRC.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I figured as much as how uniformed personnel should be handled. Paying the military shouldn't be a condition of them being ready for duty, what with nukes flying and DFAS being down from having employees ghoulified.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Soldiers working for tips sounds hilarious. I'm just picturing a tip jar in my last shop. Or S2. Or motor pool mechanics.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm glad the .mil doesn't work for tips- I somehow doubt the Iraqi who I provided my services to would be very good tippers.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Also they just blocked military paychecks during shutdown so I hope your wife has a job.

Mustang is in for a hell of an attitude problem come Monday.

Both me and my PSG will be gone for a month so the squad leaders are going to have to deal with it.

gently caress, I think almost my entire platoon lives paycheck to paycheck, even most of the SSGs.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
what happens if you can't make rent and you live in on-post housing?

what i'm asking is, are you ready for E-6s living in the barracks????

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
pretty sure mine would rob a bank to make ends meet before moving back into the barracks

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My Mustang started misfiring...mechanic buddy helped me swap spark plugs and plug wireset, only to find oil on the spark plugs. Mustang was 14 years old, engine work is going to out value the car. I traded it in with 9 thou at a ford dealership and got a '14 chevy cruze with 43000 miles on it. For the price, I'm fairly happy with that. It has an old people hospital sticker on the rear window so I'm pretty sure the previous owner was some old guy, which means it's probably in great condition.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

what happens if you can't make rent and you live in on-post housing?

what i'm asking is, are you ready for E-6s living in the barracks????

if it got to the point where people were getting evicted because of not getting paid then the US no longer exists as a government

Also would the government be in breech of your enlistment contract if they stopped paying you for an extended amount of time?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

if it got to the point where people were getting evicted because of not getting paid then the US no longer exists as a government

Also would the government be in breech of your enlistment contract if they stopped paying you for an extended amount of time?

from the way i understood it during the 2013 shutdown is that as long as your pay is accruing on the government's books, there's no issue on their end.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It’s sad we live where if a government shuts down, people might lose houses and poo poo. Not to excuse bad financial decisions, but sometimes it’s not their fault either.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

psydude posted:

I sent two NCOs home early for injuries and both wound up at the Knox WTU, which was quite literally being run as a forced labor camp. It was bad enough that people were filing IG complaints and finding other doctors to sign off on them leaving. I went to the VA after I got back and their approach was to take some ibuprofen and walk it off. Fortunately, my civilian job had great health insurance so I referred myself to an orthopedist who was a former Army doctor herself, and she took care of it. She was the one who told me how dangerous Army situps were for your spine and how they contribute to a much higher spinal injury rate among Army veterans, even those who never had to wear body armor regularly. Then we had a good laugh at how dumb the Army was for ignoring the revised PT test.

I talked to DAV about filing for disability, but there really weren't any witnesses to my injury and it was never documented anywhere other than my trip to the aid station to get a shot of toradol. I'm sure I could find a way to get it through; however, after PT and core strengthening it's pretty much been fixed.

Yeah but you're missing out on DV status, free medical and tax free beer money for the rest of your life. File for it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

Claim everything you ever saw an Army doctor for.

I got an athelete's foot on there. Seriously.

Also, you can meet the criteria for being considered a veteran of multiple states. You can be a TX veteran if you landed at Fort Bliss after a tour overseas. I'm a veteran there, and several other states.

Look at this poo poo. LOOK AT IT. http://www.ncdsv.org/images/TexasStateVeteranBenefits_7-1-2009.pdf

Can you give a rundown on what this entails? I mobed/demobed out of Bliss.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

My old spoiled, entitled, silver spoon in mouth LT’s mom is a senator. I should tell him his mom should go suck a fat sock.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I have been assured by a coworker that TRUMP is going to make sure we are paid, unlike OBAMA, so nothing to worry about :) Please ignore the voting down of a stop gap to pay the military by Republicans on Friday, also :)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

Can you give a rundown on what this entails? I mobed/demobed out of Bliss.

I take it you mean the TX veteran's benefits?

I have been amazingly fortunate in my career that people around me have had the knowledge, and experience, to tell me to do things at various points in my career.

When I was at bliss, a representative from the state's va office actually came and found us. He handed out some kind of registration forms that we all filled out and handed back to him. He then went to his office at the va and put us all in the system. I imagine that you can probably do the same thing by calling their office and asking. If you do, and it's the correct way to do it, let us know here.

Another point: If the state you live in will give your kids benefits based on your service, go and register them at the VA office. My kids get free tuition at state schools so I registered them by, name, birthday, and social, as my kids. So if I die tomorrow they'll be able to go to the VA at age 18 and say: "Give me my benefits".

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, a rundown of Texas benefits in the unlikely event I wind up living there.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I want to say texas really only hooks up you up if you were a texan when you enlisted, based on when I lived there.

Well like the Hazelwood Act stuff. But its been forever who knows anymore.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

maffew buildings posted:

I have been assured by a coworker that TRUMP is going to make sure we are paid, unlike OBAMA, so nothing to worry about :) Please ignore the voting down of a stop gap to pay the military by Republicans on Friday, also :)

The look of anger and disappointment when that time comes and no pay due is there, is something I wish I could photograph, put it in a gallery underground and call it the “Salt Mines”

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/GLq004h.mp4

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just received my discharge notice and separation orders from the IRR. Feels awesome.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

Just received my discharge notice and separation orders from the IRR. Feels awesome.

Congrats on avoiding the next Korean war

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Congrats on avoiding the next Korean war

June. :gonk:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Lol if you think they couldn't just change the rules anyhow. Maybe not everyone would show up for a questionable post IRR recall but I bet enough would.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't see how they could unless they extended the draft age to like 40. Once you're out of the IRR, you're out.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think they would but a lot of stuff could be done by shouting National Security! and convenience of the govt!

Probably not for just a Korean war, more like ww3, which probably would start shortly after the Korean war began

Im just making poo poo up but don't ever doubt the spectre of army service finding a way to gently caress you.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i've said it before: if they ever called me back, my ability to be lazy and useless far outstrips their ability to effectively punish me for being lazy and useless

also i'll be smoking weed right up until they ship me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

i've said it before: if they ever called me back, my ability to be lazy and useless far outstrips their ability to effectively punish me for being lazy and useless

also i'll be smoking weed right up until they ship me

It tickles the poo poo out of me how quickly you’ve gone all in on the weed smoking. Hell yeah, gently caress booze