  • Post
Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

BPSO insists it’s the only way to get funding for Voc Rehab. Their position is my plan would take 16 months, and SISIP only covers 12, so I have to make up the difference in time served.

Isn't voc rehab a veterans affairs program?

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Isn't voc rehab a veterans affairs program?

Last time I checked, yes.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You have to do two years of SISIP before you’re covered by VAC for education. I think their reasoning is that the only way to guarantee funding is to make sure that everything is done within the SISIP window?

It’s really confusing and this is the third time my release date has moved so I’m just hoping that I don’t get hosed after all this.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think you already got hosed. Give the ombudsman a dingle

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

LCdr. Jebus posted:

Hello. I am a currently serving Submarine Officer with 7+ years in boats. Happy to answer any questions you may have as long as its releasable. Either here or in PMs.

Hey thanks for replying. Just curious generally how the quality of life is on board and how different it is compared to the heavies when you're underway.

Also are you MARS/NWO or ENG if you dont mind me asking?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Hey, I'm starting work with Veterans Affairs in Ottawa next Monday :toot: don't ask me any questions about anything yet since currently I don't know poo poo.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'll be in Paris in March and I'm wanting to plan a visit to Vimy. Is this something that can be done as a day trip or should it be an overnight? Any tips on transport (bus/rent car/train?) Any suggestions about the trip are welcome.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I don't quite know the distance in getting there but I would definitely recommend taking public transit rather than renting a car. It's far cheaper and European road signs are different to our own. Public transit is everywhere, frequent, and run on time.

In fact, I did a quick google and found this that lays it out quite well I think.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1061563-i16319-k3773318-Vimy_as_day_trip_from_Paris-Vimy_Pas_de_Calais_Hauts_de_France.html

Expedia also has a Day trip that you could book if you're not picky being with others for a guided tour. https://www.expedia.ca/things-to-do/arras-vimy-ridge-wwi-western-front-day-trip.a419747.activity-details

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 20, 2018

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

100% do it. It's stunning.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's day trippable. They have some Canadians staffing the place that can answer the questions and do impromptu tours (or at least they did - I've been there a couple times, but not since 2010). It's worth seeing trenches and tunnels at least once imo. While you're near Arras I'd highly recommend checking out the Neuville-St Vaast German war cemetery. The vibe of German sites is completely different (black crosses, four bodies to a marker, no pro-patria bullshit, and a surprising number of non-christian graves). If you can visit two, look at the allied Arras cemetery as well. It's not quite as :stonk: as the Ossuaries in the south from the Grand Offensives, but certainly sobering.

Dieppe is a couple hours away from Arras by car, but is also a very good one to visit. Reading about the adventure there is one thing, but actually seeing the lovely stone beach almost completely exposed to full enfilade fire is something else. Seeing the Green Beach bridge was also very surprising.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Questions about the navy from a curious civvie: how much at-sea time could you expect over your career as say a MARS officer? I'm wondering how career progression works in a relatively smaller navy like ours. I'm even more curious about tiny ones like the RNZN but I don't think they have a thread.

Do we have any regular flag rank at-sea postings? If not, when was the last one, and around when could an officer expect to be shorebound for the rest of their career?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Anyone know where I can find an authentic surplus boonie hat? All the surplus stores have knock-off crappy ones. Is issued CADPAT clothing still controlled kit?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

Anyone know where I can find an authentic surplus boonie hat? All the surplus stores have knock-off crappy ones. Is issued CADPAT clothing still controlled kit?

Sure is. Occasionally one might turn up in a surplus store near a base. I saw a helmet with CADPAT cover and government tags in Kingston once.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Alternatively, make friends with a bin rat.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Alternatively, make friends with a bin rat.

Probably the best COA. Sometimes they will slip into surplus stores but usually the people who go through the effort of lying and not returning it when they get out are the same people who want to keep it for themselves.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Arrinien posted:

Questions about the navy from a curious civvie: how much at-sea time could you expect over your career as say a MARS officer? I'm wondering how career progression works in a relatively smaller navy like ours. I'm even more curious about tiny ones like the RNZN but I don't think they have a thread.

Do we have any regular flag rank at-sea postings? If not, when was the last one, and around when could an officer expect to be shorebound for the rest of their career?

Take all this with a grain of salt as I'm still pretty early in the pipeline, but I think this is the general idea.

You sail a fair bit at the early stages of your career (Anywhere between 1/4 to 1/3 of your time), but after that it really depends on your career path.
After you're trade qualified (3 years for MARS/NWO) it's generally a rotation between shore posting and ship posting.

AFAIK the pipeline is:

BMOQ (14 weeks)
Venture/Fleet School (MARS/NWO Phases II/III/IV) (Anywhere between 9months-2 years depending on how fast your courses line up or if you fail or not)
Posted to fleet as SLt, where you'll start to get your NOPQ qualification, which pretty much includes your BWK (Bridge Watch Keeper ticket), your OOD (Officer of the Day) quals, and sit a board at the end of it. Speed of this depends on what ship you're posted on and how often it'll sail. Generally it'll be around 2 years.
After you sit your board you'll be promoted to Lt(N) and shortly be loaded for a D-level (director level) course. (Navigator, Above Water Warfare, Information Warfare, etc). These courses again vary on how long they run.
After you get your D-level, you do your AHOD (assistant head of department) tour and then your HOD tour with possibly shore postings in between depending on the requirements of the Navy (TM).

If you love sailing and a true swashbuckler you'll have a choice to go for ORO (Ops Room Officer), the people who "fight" the ship and are responsible for most of the tactical operations.
If you aren't salty enough by that point and want to be part of a command team (XO or CO), you could go for War College.

The path up to your NOPQ qualification is pretty much set in stone, but careers after that really varies depending on everyone's personal ambitions.

Generally for a smaller Navy, you're gonna have a lot more "generalists" because we don't have the luxury of having sailors having specific jobs. I know on the bridge for American ships, there could be 2-3 people doing everything one MARS officer would do here, or in AUS/NZ.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 3, 2018

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So an LS from HMCS Charlottetown is getting his rear end reamed for talking about ship ops to his local newspaper. Don't do that.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Canuck-Errant posted:

So an LS from HMCS Charlottetown is getting his rear end reamed for talking about ship ops to his local newspaper. Don't do that.

Of course he's from the loving Soo.

The same Soo that thought they were getting the Amazon headquarters because a guy from the Soo works for Amazon.

Seriously.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wait they make you guys get your BWK? The transport Canada one?

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Wait they make you guys get your BWK? The transport Canada one?

No, your CO gives you your ticket.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

SuperSix posted:

Take all this with a grain of salt as I'm still pretty early in the pipeline, but I think this is the general idea.

[snip]

Generally for a smaller Navy, you're gonna have a lot more "generalists" because we don't have the luxury of having sailors having specific jobs. I know on the bridge for American ships, there could be 2-3 people doing everything one MARS officer would do here, or in AUS/NZ.

You're not getting a command without an ORO qual. I seem to recall, though I haven't been on a ship for a long time, that the MARS HODs are Combat, Weapons, and Deck - the first two are OROs. Deck is a bit of an island of misfit toys, as I've seen it be pre- D level, or post- D level, but definitely not ORO qualified.

The one place on a Canadian ship where you'll find too many people is the bridge. Every acting subbie is begging for the old man's attention at any given time, so much so it's tough to move at times as the juniors try to make themselves useful. Wherever the CO is, there are any number of junior officers travelling in his wake.

Flag-rank sea posting, for the other person's question, would be the Commodore, commander CANFLTPAC and -LANT. There's one on each coast, that used to sail in the destroyers (except during refit etc.) but we don't have any of those. I presume they cram their staffs onto a frigate now, which becomes the flagship when they're on board.

That doesn't mean there aren't a shitload of admirals. Someone looked at the number of flags we have now versus the 400+ ship fleet we had at the end of WWII and the ratio was nauseating given our current fleet size.

SuperSix posted:

No, your CO gives you your ticket.

This is the same thing as pilots, we have no actual Transport Canada rating at all. My IFR ticket is signed by the CO, and I put "CFIR" in the license number slot of a flight plan.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
So the latest hot take from a town hall here in Petawawa is that the dress manual is changing this spring, which will green light beards for those who are not on ops that require CBRN/respirator masks.

If we get beards and weed we're on track to being the coolest military in NATO (minus the no boots thing, but hey).

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

BIG NORTH posted:

So the latest hot take from a town hall here in Petawawa is that the dress manual is changing this spring, which will green light beards for those who are not on ops that require CBRN/respirator masks.

If we get beards and weed we're on track to being the coolest military in NATO (minus the no boots thing, but hey).
Sounds to me like the Petawawa version of "Wainwright will get PLD this year" that we get served when they do town hall in our neck of the wood (plains?).

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
loving Comox needs PLD. We're getting our asses kicked by the BC housing market (not to mention it driving up rent), and there's a 2 year wait for PMQ's.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've heard nothing but terrible things about the new garbage relocation policy, anyone have any stories?

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Guest2553 posted:

I've heard nothing but terrible things about the new garbage relocation policy, anyone have any stories?

The consensus on our end is that no one really knows whats going on, and this year is going to be nothing but pain and misery for all parties involved.

Glad I was posted last APS :q:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I posted during the transition to the call center, and it went smoothly, I guess. Kind of annoying that I couldn't just drop poo poo off at the office on base, but I needed a scanner/printer anyway. I didn't have anything complicated to organize, though; no house to sell, no pmv to ship, I went from a storage unit and shacks to a pmq.

Like, they did forget to tell me my claim was ready for a month. Maybe I got off lucky?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I get to explore this new relocation when I go from Pet to Wainwright this year.

Not selling a house - and likely not buying one out there - but I have a decent amount of things to move.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Invictus letters went out today for the 2018 team. It really is life changing if you know somebody or were thinking of applying for the next go-around I highly recommend it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
edit: a bunch of bitching about Brookfield that's at best, second-hand rumours

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Looks like NATO's back on the menu, boys.

quote:

February 14, 2018, Brussels, Belgium — National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces

The Government is committed to both the security and safety of Canadians and the protection of their rights and freedoms. Canada is playing a strong and constructive role in the world by making concrete contributions to international peace and security – including at the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).

NATO is a cornerstone of Canada’s international security policy and today the Government announced its intention to rejoin to the Alliance’s Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) program.

Programs such as AWACS, and the joint intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance it provides, are increasingly relevant in today’s security environment. In response to the challenges posed by that environment, NATO has significantly increased the use of its AWACS operations, including in areas like Central and Eastern Europe where Canada is leading a multinational NATO battlegroup based in Latvia.
-Part of Canada’s commitment to NATO, as outlined in Strong, Secure, Engaged, includes:
1) Leading and/or contributing forces to NATO and coalition efforts to deter and defeat potential adversaries, including terrorists, to support global stability;
2) Leading and/or contributing to international peace operations and stabilization missions with the United Nations, NATO, and other multilateral partners.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Ive always wanted a blue UN beret.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Navy's getting the new NCDs within a year :smug:

can finally hide the potbelly

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
That'll make up for the spec pay freeze!

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/military-wrestling-with-marijuana-legalization-defence-chief-1.3819909

:2bong: :2bong: :2bong:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Where do I sign up for the effects of marijuana testing done by the CFSG??

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, that Veterans Education and Training Benefit kicks in this FY, so it might be wise to get the information and forms in order for the start date of 1 Apr.

e: unless you're a reservist, because they still haven't figured out how Reserves service adds up :v:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress that lovely lip service we support veterans education program.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

gently caress that lovely lip service we support veterans education program.

80k maximum isn't quite lip service, but you're right about it being poo poo for a long time

e: ironically I didn't get any edu assistance when I was in, and now that I'm out I still don't qualify :v: but I work at VAC now so at least I can tell people about benefits???

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Lip service in that they settled on a high enough cap that a lot of veterans can't use it and chances are if you stay in for six years, you're either and officer or a lifer.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4